| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we talk about vaccinations here?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:54 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

my mom had shingles and the vax

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:34 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh shoot, I totally had it wrong then.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:18 am 
Seagull of the PPK

we just registered FC for school and she needed to get:
-DTP
-meningitis
-chickenpox
-mantoux tuberculin test (PPD)

they also suggested that she get the HPV but frankly I'm still not sure about it (we figured 4 jabs was enough for that day and decided to talk about it later).
Any input about the HPV/cervical cancer vaccine?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:21 am 
Semen Strong

I would get the HPV vaccine. I had HPV in college (and it is the most common STD) and it was no fun to have the warts cryogenically frozen off after a few bad Pap results. And I would definitely want to cut down the risk of getting HPV relayed cervical, throat or anal cancer. http://www.cdc.gov/features/hpvvaccine/

CDC wrote:
The HPV infections that cause most of these cancers could be prevented with vaccination.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:30 am 
Level 7 Vegan

At the time it came out, my doctor was recommending to give it some time until more is known about that vaccine, and that the same effectiveness can be achieved by getting your paps with rigorous regularity. Now, chances are that FC will end up with a life similar to yours and mine where she moves house and countries often - not the best situation to maintain a stable preventative health care schedule for decades... I'd say that especially given her life circumstances, it's probably easier and safer to get the shot now that she can.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:37 am 
Semen Strong

Well, pap smears don't prevent HPV, they just catch it early. I was in college and getting regular paps and so they did catch it early (which is why I got it removed with cryo rather than a more expensive and painful LEEP). I would still have rather just never gotten it :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:51 am 
Nooch of Earl

A pap smear isn't going to catch throat cancer, etc., though. Honestly that one would be my HIGHEST priority for vaccination at FC's age. It sounds like she's already started "dating," such as that is at jr high age. But realistically, if you look at the stats on teenage sexual activity...I would absolutely get it for her as quickly as possible. Kids experiment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I recommend getting it - the danish government has actually made it free for anyone born after '85 to get it here, because it's supposed to be so effective and will save the country A LOT of money because of fewer cases of cervical cancer.
I got the three shots, and it was really no big deal!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:11 am 
Seagull of the PPK

thanks for the input, guys. I think the big thing for me is exactly what aelle says- i haven't had a pap in, damn, i couldn't even tell you. she will likely be the same way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:24 pm 
Grandfathered In

Measels is natural, you guys.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:36 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I got the HPV vaccine in college (a little late according to the schedule, but it was still pretty new then). I'm glad I did! If it's still the three-shot deal, I would definitely do it while you are likely to be with the same provider for the whole time. It made it easier for me to do the follow-up shots.

I think it's recommended for boys now too?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:56 pm 
Semen Strong

It is. Because boys can get throat, anal and penile cancers (though those are rarer) from HPV. Having been through the crappyness of a bad pap, I really cannot imagine not getting the HPV vaccine.

And even if you have the vaccine, you still need to get regular pap smears. Its definitely worth reading this thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=619

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:56 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

mandycoot wrote:
Isn't part of the reason you vaccinate against chicken pox so that you won't get shingles later in life? I would never wish shingles on anyone, from what I've seen of people who've gotten it.

You can still get shingles if you had the varicella vaccination, unfortunately. BUT, your risk of getting shingles seems to be lower if you got the varicella vax than if you had wild-type varicella (i.e. chicken pox) (source).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:58 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Although, yes, I guess that's just looking at shingles in children. The vaccine is still new enough that we don't know what shingles rates will be like for those in middle age or older.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I wish the HPV vaccine had been available when I was a teen. I have only ever had 1 sexual partner and at my first pap smear discovered I had HPV 16 - I required pap smears every 3 months for 2 years and had two colposcopy procedures. It was so scary and now I have a lifelong increased risk for various cancers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:29 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Wow Annasrobbie, that's awful! So sorry you went through that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
It is. Because boys can get throat, anal and penile cancers (though those are rarer) from HPV. Having been through the crappyness of a bad pap, I really cannot imagine not getting the HPV vaccine.

And even if you have the vaccine, you still need to get regular pap smears. Its definitely worth reading this thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=619

My son's doctor recommends it. We decided he would get it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Shae had the HPV vaccine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think people are weird about the HPV vaccine because an STD is involved. I remember when it came out, my mom thought it was awful to make it routine for pre-teens because it was encouraging young girls to be slutty (please note: her opinion, not mine!). I *think* she could have gotten it for my sister, but not sure. In either case, my sister got pap smears every year and still had the stage of cervical cancer that is one step away from chemo (no idea what that means, but that's what she said...stage c4 maybe?). She swears the lab results said it didn't have anything to do with HPV (I'm skeptical) and she made me promise not to tell our parents (can't blame her on that). I'm glad they caught it in time because she reeeeeally wanted kids (and has a really cute one now) and I heard some of the treatments can make you infertile.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:37 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

CC, that argument is used by many in the area where my parents live too. "It's encouraging promiscuity!" Cuz, y'know kids are always gonna keep their pants on otherwise. It's really no different I think than the cry against sex-ed and birth control that we've been hearing for 60 years. I don't get it. I understand if you want your kid to wait for sex for marriage, etc. but do you really want that bad enough to risk them getting cancer, AIDS, getting pregnant, etc. Argh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:01 am 
Discovered unobtainium

That whole argument is ridiculous anyway. Its not like cancer checks for a valid marriage license first.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:03 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

And CC that is exactly why I posted my little experience as above - even if you DO "wait for marriage" or only have one sexual partner, if that one sexual partner hasn't done the same thing you are still at risk. I keep trying to get that into my sister's head (she is adamantly opposed to it for her 3 girls and can't understand WHY I would ever even consider it for my son).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:22 am 
Semen Strong

Yes, I got HPV from my first partner as well. And he had no idea he had it, despite the fact that we both got medically checked out before having sex. So there you go. Plus, you can get it even if you use condoms, so there you go. HPV is so common that this is what the CDC has to say about it.
http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv.htm

Quote:
How common are HPV and health problems caused by HPV?
HPV (the virus): Approximately 79 million Americans are currently infected with HPV. About 14 million people become newly infected each year. HPV is so common that nearly all sexually-active men and women will get at least one type of HPV at some point in their lives.

Genital warts: About 360,000 persons in the U.S. get genital warts each year.
Cervical cancer: About 10,300 women in the U.S. get cervical cancer each year.
Other cancers that can be caused by HPV, including some vaginal, vulvar, penile, anal, and oropharyngeal cancers: Each year in the U.S., HPV is thought to cause an estimated
2,100 vulvar cancers,
500 vaginal cancers,
600 penile cancers,
2,800 anal cancers in women,
1,500 anal cancers in men,
1,700 oropharyngeal cancers in women,* and
6,700 oropharyngeal cancers in men.*
*Note: Other factors, notably tobacco and alcohol use, may also play a role with HPV to cause these cancers.
About 21,000 of these cancers are potentially preventable by HPV vaccines.

So sorry you had a rough experience annasrobbie!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:38 am 
Semen Strong

From Sanctimommy: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sanctimo ... ion=stream

"Here's the thing: I don't think it is the same thing to question vaccines and yet to adhere to the recommendations for car seat safety replacements and expiration dates. Yes, you may think it is ridiculous for me to replace my car seat after hitting a few potholes. But why would I not want to protect my child the best way possible? If there is the slightest chance that a tiny impact could make my carseat less effective, then I am going to go ahead and take all the questions I can regardless!!!!! It is not the same thing when it comes to vaccines, the drug companies and doctors absolutely stand to profit from pushing them. I don't see how anybody is going to make a profit by recommending proper car seat safety."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:22 am 
Semen Strong

My anti-vax friends are all sharing this article, which is a rehabilitation of Andrew Wakefield: http://www.whiteoutpress.com/timeless/c ... es-autism/

And no one seems to realize that there is a rebuttal in the updated version that sets out why the original headlined assertion just isn't true.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 45  Next