| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: what is the perfect gift for first-time parents/moms?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:48 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I do not want to hijack in any way, but what about new Dad gifts? I want to get hubby something and I know I am the one who needs pampering but he has put up with a lot of whining.

Though still pregnant, I would want a quiet bath and I need to shop for new clothes so gift certs to get myself new threads would be fabulous!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:11 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Una wrote:
OR! A few homemade frozen meals.

I feel kind of silly reviving an old thread but I didn't see any other relevant ones when I searched!

I have an omni friend who is having a baby this month and I offered to cook up a few meals for her and her partner. She's super excited about it, which is awesome. We've cooked for each other a few times and she says she loves the challenge of cooking vegan food and they have always liked the food I've cooked, so whether they'll eat vegan food isn't a worry. The only thing her partner won't eat is eggplant. Whew!

What I'm wondering is what sort of things would be best? They don't have a microwave, but neither do I, so I'm not making anything that can't be heated on the stovetop or in an oven, with or without defrosting. They both love curries and dals and soups.

I guess my question is: does anyone who has kids have any suggestions for things that freeze and reheat well that they would have liked the first few weeks?

So far I've made dal makhani and aloo palak and am planning on making red beans in gravy and a Thai red curry. Maybe a chili?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

All your dishes sound nourishing and comforting. Sturdy things you can eat with one hand are also awesome, especially if she will be breastfeeding! I loved that I prepared a bunch of empanadas and tofu scramble pockets (you could do pizza pockets too) before having a baby. The Jamaican curry patties in Vegan Eats World might be up their alley too. Having a bunch of muffins frozen was really nice as well, and they defrost on their own relatively quickly. Also a big batch of trail mix and some other easy-to-eat high protein high-fat snacks might also be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:47 pm 
Semen Strong

How nice of you! I saw a great recipe for handpies in a similar thread elsewhere - http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2011/11/ ... ckets.html Yummy, convenient and easy to eat with one hand, without spilling any on the baby. You can definitely make a few sweet ones.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ah, this is awesome advice and it never would have occurred to me that things you can eat with one hand would be a good idea! I've actually even made them empanadas before and they liked them, so I might have to do the Jamaican curry patties! And muffins! And maybe sweet potato hand pies. And maybe another freezer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:04 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I loved having frozen burgers handy in the freezer. If you have The Best Veggie Burgers by Joni Marie Newman, there are some great, hearty burgers full of beans and veggies. My favorites off the top of my head-- potato samosa burgers, Travis loves cilantro burgers, log cabin burgers, falafel and tabbouleh burgers. Or Isa's beet burgers!

Also, muffins! Not a meal, but a great snack.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:07 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Check out this thread too, if you still need ideas (or have extra freezer space!)...
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1852

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks, kdub! I couldn't find the other thread for some reason.

I do have the burger book and was planning on making Isa's beet burgers this week for my own household, so clearly there's some double-batching in my future!