| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: age appropriate toys
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:58 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

can anyone recommend what toys are good for the 5-7ish month range?
my mom and i are going to a big baby gear sale this weekend and we still have the same toys we've had since she was a newbrn.
seems like around 6 months the toys start to become a bit more interactive.

from the stuff we have she likes crinkly stuff, touch and feel books, and anything with a ring she can cram into her mouth.
we bought her a small plastic piano and that seems to be fun at least part time.

the sale is all used stuff so anythign i buy i would probaby buy more plastic stuff rather than say a used blankie or stuffy even though she does like soft stuff.

one of her favorite toys is actually my second set of plastic measuring spoons
shes a raelly big grabby hands so i guess i should look for stuff with different textures that she can feel?

Post subject: Re: age appropriate toys
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:47 am 
Nooch of Earl

I would resist the urge to buy lots and lots of stuff - V mostly ignored all the toys until much older!

But some things that would serve you well in the months ahead are a set of stacking cups.. We also had a thing that you tie to the crib with different animals and a sort of rudimentary "puzzle" with attached pieces, that also rattled or squeaked..

Oh and we have a set of stuffed shapes with different sounds and textures:
http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Toy-201 ... B0000A1Z2A

And a set of fake keys is great! There are electric ones that you press buttons and get noises and lights.. and V also has a set that came with this "purse":
http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Pret ... d_sim_t_29
She didn't get this until much older (~18 months), but I think it would be a great toy to grow with. I like to buy things they'll get use out of for a while down the line.

Oh, and a nice shape sorter might be something to keep an eye out for as well.

All this is stuff that she would use minimally now but might "grow into." If you want to keep it minimal I would just get her some toy keys and a few plastic cups from your kitchen and call it a day.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:48 am 
Seagull of the PPK

yes, stacking cups. you can use them forever with water play later. and the keys are good.
we had a mr whoozit who was great. not sure if they make them anymore, but if they do, they're good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:43 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

cool im happy to know it's not really a toy age. the lil piano we bought her she's only mildly interested in sometimes.
mainly rght now it's all about looking at stuff and turning it around and cramming stuff in her mouth.

i know people say the stacking cups are good for a year old so ill keep an eye out. thats a good idea to look for stuff she'll play with later.

we have a whoozit! ive never heard of them before but it came in the gift from my former place o business and she loved that thing when she was little little. its lost a bit of it's appeal but she still likes to look at it sometimes and chew on the arms that come off.

so maybe i should ask for suggestions for 9-12 months and keep those for later?
ill look for the stacking cups and the shape sorter. the soft ball/square thing looks good for now too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:50 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

My guy was 6 months right at Christmas so we were gifted a number of items - the only ones that he really liked were a set of stacking cups and some of those clear plastic balls that have little toys inside of them (mirrors, beads, spinning things, etc). He still likes both these items. He also was given this plastic singing pot that looks like a double boiler, so you can put the pans in and out and the lid has a shape sorter. I think it comes with an orange triangular block that it says is "cheese", but I thought it was fairly innocuous and he really adored it for the longest time. My sister gave us the pot and said that her 3 babies had loved it, and that it had been given to her by a friend whose 2 kids had loved it - so seems like a winner.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:42 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so the sale was pretty cool. shiitake tons of stuff. all very cheap. i guess it happens twice a year so thats cool.
we got a few things. nothing crazy. the best purchase so far is a crinkly book.

i bught some stacking rings for later and a little plastic watering can that's really cute.

the reason i came back to this thread is to tell this story.

two of the main things i wanted to find was a winter jacket and a snow suit for BabyPunk.

they had everything divided between girls clothes and boys clothes.
so we perused the girls racks where the jackets were and it had already been pretty picked over. there were some nice jackets but for toddlers not babies.

so we went over to the boys racks and were over there and we were chatting. BP was wearing an aqua onesie with kind of girly frilly short sleeves. i must have said "she" a couple times in regards to BP.
and this woman is just LOOKING at me and LOOKING at me. and finally she's like THE GIRLS STUFF IS OVER THERE. (kind of snottily, not even like a trying to help tone)

my mom just looked at her and was like "yah we know" and went on looking.

geesh. my mom was like "what was that about?" and i was like "welcome to my life"

DO NOT BUY A BOYS JACKET FOR YOUR LITTLE GIRL!

both of the snowsuit type things we found were in the boys section. one is dark blue with a polar bear on it and the other one is totally white with winnie the pooh on it. very masculine :-P

we never did find a jacket for her size

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LP, I love second-hand baby sales and have totally bought girl stuff (jeans! they are so much cooler!) for my boys. They have one or two a year here and we get pretty much all our kids clothes from them (I get some at charity shops, but they don't have nearly the selection). And shoes! Clark's kids shoes are great because they last forever, but they are way out of our budget (£25-£45 a pop!, plus, I don't like to buy leather new, but I am okay with second-hand (just me, not judging anyone)) unless we get them second-hand (<£5 a pop!).

I've also noticed boys clothes sell for less second-hand, so even if I had girls, I'd be perusing the boys section (because I am so cheap, I even shop the sale racks at second-hand sales and charity shops). :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:10 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

People at the resale shops always ask me if I'm having another boy when I'm browsing, since I'm always looking in the boys' section! I usually don't even notice I'm doing it; I just seem to naturally gravitate toward neutral colors. I don't understand why teal has to be deemed an exclusively boy color.