| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: Fascinating and Weird Stuff You Learned from Pregnancy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:46 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've been eating coconut yogurt daily, if that makes you feel any better?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks kdub, I was kinda drawn to the Wildwood stuff 'cause it has like 11g of protein but maybe it also has crazy extra probiotics. Also my kid eats it daily and doesn't seem TOO gassy (for a vegan kid ha.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:17 am 
Married to the wolfman

Audrey, I've been eating the Whole Soy yogurt basically every day throughout pregnancy. For a string of about two weeks, every time I would eat it, 20 minutes later I would have a terribly gastric episode, like my stomach exploding into pain and then a trip to the bathroom. I was convinced I was becoming allergic to soy. Then it passed and hasn't come back. I definitely blame pregnancy.

Another forking thing I am blaming on pregnancy: last night, in bed, I managed to pull not one, not two, but THREE muscles. Both calves and something in my arm. Suuuuuuuuuper painful. What strenous activity was I doing that caused all these muscles to pull? Shifting ever so slightly. Not even rolling over. Shift shift OWWWWWWWWWWWW. I am still crazy sore this morning. Horrible. What is the cause of this, other pregnant ladies? Not enough magnesium or something?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:48 am 
Inflexitarian

Ack c&s that sounds horrible. Blame all that relaxin produced by pregnancy.

Ok, this one completely freaked me out the other day. I was doing some back stretches across my big excercise ball and I reached behind me to give my lower back a massage and instead of my back muscles being there it was my pelvis! My pelvis has risen at least an inch or more, my partner mentioned last week that it looked like my butt was geting bigger (not in a bad way) and now we've figured out what all this glut pain and legs giving away on me must have been coming from my pelvis is lifting and spreading. Now I'm constantly obessessed with touching it. This is the weirdest/most fascinting thing that has happened to me yet. I actually think it's pretty cool, just really odd at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:05 am 
Semen Strong

I just learned that when the fetus is in utero, the blood doesn't go to the lungs for oxygenation (that is done at Mom's lungs). So there is a little hole in the heart that has to close up at birth. 50% of babies born have a heart murmur bc this isn't fully sealed on day 1, but for 95% it resolves in the next day or so.

Maybe everyone knows that, but I got a wee bit surprised by that info! Leela is fine on day 2 :)

Also C&S so sorry about your muscles! Hope it gets resolved soon! And pregnancy and gas is insane! GP, your butt moving sounds so interesting!

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:15 am 
Inflexitarian

Wait a second tofetus is here?! How did I miss this?!!! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:29 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oi, that is scary about the heart murmur thing.

@audrey, the soya yogurt does this to me sometimes, even before I was pg. I think lots of folks have a hard time digesting soy. Strangely enough, it doesn't seem to hit me every time, and tofu is fine...it's just soy milks/yogurts/ice cream.

c&s, are you drinking enough water? I know I'm sick of hearing it at every midwife visit, but supposedly it helps with the muscle pulls. Ironically though, drinking a lot makes me have to get up more in the night to pee, which is one of the main times I feel that pull. The physio I saw when I had the bad tear said anything you can do to support the sore muscle is good too. Pillows under you when sitting/laying, holding it when you cough, or even a belt/band. It sounds like you're not really able to predict which of your muscles is going to cause a problem though, so that's a bit tougher. Mine's just been the ab muscle and sweet moses, my calves.

guineapig, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds myself fascinated with the weird stuff my body does.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:33 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

c&s- That's crazy that your pulling muscles so easliy.. basically in your sleep? The last few nights I have been waking up with cramps in my calves, even though I eat a banana every morning and drink a ton of water all day long which I thought were two things to prevent muscle cramps. I hope that not a sign of things to come!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:39 pm 
Married to the wolfman

refinnej wrote:
c&s, are you drinking enough water? I know I'm sick of hearing it at every midwife visit, but supposedly it helps with the muscle pulls.

Yeah. I am a crazy camel during pregnancy-- I drink SO much water. Like > 100 fl oz a day. I'm thirsty all the damn time.

My OB recommended a belt to help with the constant pelvic muscle pulling, but it actually seems like I pull them MORE when I wear the belt. So that's a bummer. (It is helping with back pain when I'm sitting at my desk at work though, so that's good.)

I read the internet on the subject this morning and it basically said, calf cramps (which is what I think this really was, more so than a pull, on reflection) are pretty normal in the third trimester and the best things you can do for them are stay really hydrated and exercise regularly... both of which I do. So, I guess this is just my new normal for another couple months.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:04 am 
Bathes in Braggs

cramps can be from lack of magnesium or calcium or potassium or not enough water. mag tissue salts have really helped me with cramping in my legs :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:23 am 

c&s, that's what I've seen too. I had well over a year's worth of ankle problems before being pregnant (missed diagnosis of a fracture), so I've been super careful while pg about doing my stretches, etc. It's only really at night that I've been getting cramps..are you having them during the day as well.

md, thanks for the tip. I will have a look when I go to the hfs later today. It's annoying now, but I worry that it's going to be worse if it continues after bean comes and I have to be up more quickly in the middle of the night.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

littlebear wrote:
I am growing a penis inside me

Still creeping on old threads before they're gone (so many helpful tidbits)!

My boss asked me in a low whisper yesterday if this freaked me out. It didn't until she addressed it. So um. THANKS? Haha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:28 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Ha, I never though about it that way. But I did read that some cells from babies escape through the placenta into the mother's body, so if you give birth to a boy you end up with male cells in your body, and that this can help prevent Alzheimer's symptoms in women who've had sons.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:00 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

This would be another great thread to save.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I could do that and give lobsterterrific a break? O:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ALSO: hot flashes. I thought that was a lack of hormone thing (ie menopause) and not a different hormone thing. I was wrong. I think I had one before Ovia told me about them being a thing and just now I DEFINITELY had one. I had to step outside.

Slightly OT but I'm feeling so freaking pregnant it's just not cool right now, haha. I also had a bit of rage that wasn't super appropriate for the situation, right before this. I've had a migraine all day that Tylenol is hardly dumbing down (and is definitely not numbing entirely). It's like my hormones just decided to explode. So much for the second trimester eye of the storm!

ETA: This all happened at work. It's pretty lucky I have a job where I can mute myself from customers. Being able to hiss "just forking do this!!!!" without being heard by anyone but an amused colleague is pretty rad. If I had a face-to-face job, I don't know if I'd be able to keep it through my pregnancy. Ha.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:09 pm 

Ahahaha! I had preggo rage for my last two pregnancies. I'm crabby enough as it is. XD Fairly sure I had one or two hot flashes, too, although I am a freeze baby, so I loved them. Sweating in Scotland, what a novelty!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:05 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Hormones are so completely weird and fascinating. There are so many things that I thought were pregnancy size related things that turn out to be hormone related. Like, I always thought peeing all the time was from bladder pressure later on, and sure it's that too, but even in my first trimester I suddenly had to wake up 3 or 4 times a night to pee. See also: back and other joint pain, pregnancy insomnia...probably a whole bunch of other stuff I've blocked out.

I was glad that I mostly worked by myself during my pregnancy, too! Mostly my poor husband was the ricipient of my crabbiness. I think the arc of what first, second, third trimesters are "supposed" to be like is 1. Totally generalized and it will be different for every person, and even different from pregnancy to pregnancy for the same person, and 2. More of a general arc than necessarily lining up by week or month. For example, I felt much more nauseous for about the first 4 months or maybe even 5, then it settled a lot. I think my happy pregnancy time was not exactly the second trimester, but months 6 and 7. Then I got too big/my organs got to squished and I was ready to be done with pregnancy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:42 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Yes, it was so weird to me to discover what hormones could do. I had never been a "PMS" person so was a bit skeptical of the power of hormones - but wow. I had a full on crazy pregnant lady fit in the waiting area of a restaurant when they said it would be 45 minute wait (primarily my rant was directed at all these sheeples around me who were clogging up this sub-par chain restaurant preventing my timely dining). That is so totally not me. Also once the baby was born and I got to experience bed drenching hot flashes, mood swings and hair loss...I have been terrified of menopause.
Interestingly, I never noticed any mood changes associated with my menstrual cycle in the past, but after kids I get super anxious and weepy the day before starting my period. It is so weird!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17