| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fascinating and Weird Stuff You Learned from Pregnancy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:52 pm 
Semen Strong

bap wrote:
Apparently going to the bathroom can cause contractions? I've been getting this moderate pain sometimes when I go after not going for a while, and my midwife informed me that it's probably contractions from my bladder pressing up against my uterus and then releasing. Who knew?

And vice versa! A friend of mine has Braxton Hicks that make her run to pee. Her uterus presses on her bladder during them.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bap wrote:
Apparently going to the bathroom can cause contractions? I've been getting this moderate pain sometimes when I go after not going for a while, and my midwife informed me that it's probably contractions from my bladder pressing up against my uterus and then releasing. Who knew?

Weird. Does this happen to you in the morning? Last Saturday, I could barely stand up or sit down without pain for about the first hour I was out of bed. I figured it was from stretching ligaments and muscles, but now I'm wondering if this was the culprit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

kdub wrote:
bap wrote:

Weird. Does this happen to you in the morning? Last Saturday, I could barely stand up or sit down without pain for about the first hour I was out of bed. I figured it was from stretching ligaments and muscles, but now I'm wondering if this was the culprit.

Yes! Only in the mornings, this morning it was actually pretty excruciating, I was glad I had a midwife appointment an hour later to bring it up.

Also, this is my last four week stretch before appointments every two weeks. Where has the time gone?!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:12 pm 
Semen Strong

Hahahaha! I know exactly what you mean. I'm heading into the stretch where the appointments are every week starting next week..... YIKES!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:02 pm 
Inflexitarian

Tofulish wrote:
bap wrote:

And vice versa! A friend of mine has Braxton Hicks that make her run to pee. Her uterus presses on her bladder during them.

Yeah mine go in the opposite direction. I thought it was just because of my issues with preterm labor but when I talked to my midwife about it she said it was pretty common. I usually get them in the middle of the night when I've been unconsciously holding my pee for too long and the contractions wake me up far before the need to pee does. When I pee within about 15 minutes the contractions subside and I'm back to sleep.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

uh WHY does it feel like someone is attacking my hipbones with a grinder? I'm assuming this is a pregnancy thing, I've never experienced it before and it sucks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:58 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i don't know, but my hips are killing me also :/ is it maybe the relaxin making our hips all wonky?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:55 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My hips still hurt if I lay on them too long. My knees and knuckles too

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:54 am 
Inflexitarian

I had a lot of problems with hip pain to the point I couldn't sleep and was almost in tears. Physical therapy works wonders as does a well trained pregnancy massage therapist or chirpractor.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:58 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I don't wish anyone hip pain, but do have to admit that it is making me feel better that I am not alone in this. I always knew about the loss of sleep once the baby is there, but not about losing sleep from hip pain starting at 18 weeks. My midwife told me pregnancy yoga helps. Haven't tried that yet, I don't think my body is very yoga-y.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:12 am 
Inflexitarian

Kimba that's exactly when my hip pain started! How interesting. I had horrible morning sickness until 17 weeks and then just as that went away the hip pain started in. Yoga did help but I found it to be a temporary solution. If I didn't go every week then my hips would be worse than ever. But I still loved it while I was able to do it and miss it a lot. For me I neded professional help and that made all the difference.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:53 am 
Married to the wolfman

I am growing weary of pulling muscles constantly this pregnancy! Seriously never happened last time around. Yesterday I was quietly playing chess (hey, don't look so surprised! obviously I play chess with someone sometimes or I wouldn't be in this situation) and pulled a muscle. IN MY FOOT. Which was not actively engaged in anything that feet don't normally do.

I asked my OB about it and she said yeah, it's our good friend relaxin at work... yay.

Speaking of quietly playing chess, I have a question for you all. I had the weirdest issue yesterday. The actual event was quite normal, not uncomfortable whatsoever. Quite enjoyable, in fact. But afterwards, post-orgasm, my vagina did this horrible thing where it like... squeezed shut. Painfully. It felt like it was trying to seal itself over. Like I absolutely couldn't relax the muscles in that area. The sensation persisted for over an hour after the fact but did eventually die down which is good because holy shiitake that was uncomfortable.

This has never happened to me before and I'm assuming it's some sort of pregnancy related thing because hey, what CAN'T we blame on pregnancy right. I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this/has any suggestions on what to do if it happens again. I'll ask my doctor about it at my next appointment in a couple of weeks but was just curious because wow, how weird.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

coldandsleepy wrote:
Speaking of quietly playing chess, I have a question for you all. I had the weirdest issue yesterday. The actual event was quite normal, not uncomfortable whatsoever. Quite enjoyable, in fact. But afterwards, post-orgasm, my vagina did this horrible thing where it like... squeezed shut. Painfully. It felt like it was trying to seal itself over. Like I absolutely couldn't relax the muscles in that area. The sensation persisted for over an hour after the fact but did eventually die down which is good because holy shiitake that was uncomfortable.

This has never happened to me before and I'm assuming it's some sort of pregnancy related thing because hey, what CAN'T we blame on pregnancy right. I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this/has any suggestions on what to do if it happens again. I'll ask my doctor about it at my next appointment in a couple of weeks but was just curious because wow, how weird.

At the risk of TMI, (I know, not possible on the PPK), this sort of happened to me when I was pregnant too! Only, it wasn't really clamping shut, so much as after we finished our sweet workout and we were panting in a heap, my vagina kicked his penis out like right away. Like closed right up, and shoved him out. It was mostly hilarious, but not uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:28 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Some babies need a vitamin D supplement. Depends on a few factors though (geographical location, complexion, etc)

For more information: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d.html

Quote:
As long as mom is not vitamin D deficient, her breastmilk will have the right amount of vitamin D. However, babies were "designed" to get only part of their vitamin D from breastmilk and the remainder from sun exposure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:46 pm 
Inflexitarian

Ok, wasn't sure where to put this but do you ladies have any special tricks to sit comfortably once your baby drops? Guineapiglet dropped a little over a week ago and by the end of the day sitting down is nearly impossible but I'm not supposed to be spending a lot of time on my feet either and I can't do everything lying down so I'm running out of good options.

Also - today an entire foot lurched out of my stomach, and I mean the ENTIRE FOOT it was he freakist thing I've ever seen. I tried to get it on video or still photo but every time I moved she retracted the foot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:21 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I bought a yoga ball and sat on it instead of chairs for the last few weeks. You can rock back and forth and it's good for opening up your hips, too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:51 am 
Married to the wolfman

I too loved the yoga ball at the end. It was one of the only ways I could sit comfortably at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:00 am 
Semen Strong

Guineapig, how exciting! Ninjaguineapiglet sounds like she's getting ready to make her entrance! Our doula suggested the birthing ball as well (as mitten does above) to start opening the pelvis. She recommends getting the 16" ones (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FH2W54). That said, although they are all supposed to be anti-burst, our cats have destroyed 2 of these already. Target has the Gaiam brand if you need one as soon as possible.

I learned from our doula that every woman's milk smells like their placenta, so the baby ''knows" the mother's smell from the first minute and is using their sense of smell to find the nipple and start feeding. Its amazing that smell is also the last sense to leave us when we die.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:14 am 
Inflexitarian

Tofulish wrote:
Guineapig, how exciting! Ninjaguineapiglet sounds like she's getting ready to make her entrance!

It has already been decided that she's going to be a ninja for halloween next year

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:23 am 
Semen Strong

Excited to see her with baby's first throwing star!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:37 am 
Married to the wolfman

Tofulish wrote:
I learned from our doula that every woman's milk smells like their placenta.

Oh, jeez, this reminded me of the most horrible thing (which I will now share with the PPK because I know you all like horrible things). When I was in the hospital for the kidney infection when I was pregnant with the Emperor, my husband bought the stinkingest cheese ever to bring to the hospital as a snack for himself. (He has since admitted this was the worst possible choice of snack to bring to your extremely unwell vegan wife's hospital room!) When he had finished eating it, he put the rind in the trash can. A nurse comes in a while later and sort of sniffs the air and FREAKS OUT. "Where's the placenta?!" she shouts. "IT SMELLS LIKE PLACENTA IN HERE!" She was concerned that I had I guess had the baby and just not pushed my call button or something, heh.

Anyway, she sniffed the trail down to the trashcan and we concluded it was not placenta she was smelling but that stinky asparagus cheese rind.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:42 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Hilarious, coldandsleepy!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:44 am 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah, that's too funny. Next time someone brings stinky cheese into my vicinity I'm so shouting "where's the placenta!?!?" in a panic ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:03 am 
Inflexitarian

I was told that the smell was from the amniotic fluid and that's why you shouldn't completely wash the baby after it's born because it will help them find the breast better.

I sure hope so because I don't want my placenta to smell like stinky cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:25 am 
Married to the wolfman

I tried to remember to sniff the air when I actually had the Emperor to see if it smelled like stinky cheese, but there was just so much going on that I forgot. One of my only L&D regrets, ha ha.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next