| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fascinating and Weird Stuff You Learned from Pregnancy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:07 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I was reading on another board that newborn poop smells like stinky cheese. Is that true? I really hope not because I hate that smell. Everyone was saying newborn poop DOESN'T really smell bad because it smells like cheese. ewww.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:45 pm 
Married to the wolfman

It has a definite dairy quality to it, or at least the Emperor's did. Um, I hate to say it, but it mostly smelled like buttered popcorn to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:05 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ummm..I always thought that Ada's smells like mustard. I'm really afraid of what's going to happen when we start solids in a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yup, popcorn!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

definitely smelled like popcorn to me too! and baby breath smells like yogurt. baby's head was soft and smelled like candy. so sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:44 am 
Bathes in Braggs

mm baby's head smell <3 definitely along the lines of sweet candy.

newborn poop smelled like roast beef to my partner! (he had been vegan for over ten years at the time, so who knows if that is an accurate description!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:56 am 
Seagull of the PPK

sashi wrote:
I'm really afraid of what's going to happen when we start solids in a couple of weeks.

hehe. it's silly to prefer one type of poop over another but if BF poop is innocent and curdy, what comes next will just make you really, really ready to potty train.......

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Silas' newborn poop smelled like vanilla! Just like my breastmilk. It was pretty creepy how good his poo smelled.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:42 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

rocklobster wrote:
in class last week we learned your nurse can accidentally push your uterus out onto the bed (after giving birth, obvs). what should she do if that happens? push it right back in! with. your. FIST!!!!

As shocking as that sounds, I think I would be really grateful to someone fisting my uterus back inside me. My vagina would be all stretched out anyway, since a baby just escaped from it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:13 am 
Married to the wolfman

Kelly wrote:
Silas' newborn poop smelled like vanilla! Just like my breastmilk. It was pretty creepy how good his poo smelled.

Vanilla poop! Incredible!

About general baby smells: the Emperor has always been a stinky kid. Seriously. He doesn't smell good. His scalp has always smelled like wet dog, and when he still nursed exclusively, it smelled like a wet dog who'd rolled in skim milk. And he had terrible yogurt breath because he was always spitting up. By default, his popcorn poop might have been the best smelling part of him as a newborn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

coldandsleepy wrote:
Kelly wrote:

Vanilla poop! Incredible!

About general baby smells: the Emperor has always been a stinky kid. Seriously. He doesn't smell good. His scalp has always smelled like wet dog, and when he still nursed exclusively, it smelled like a wet dog who'd rolled in skim milk. And he had terrible yogurt breath because he was always spitting up. By default, his popcorn poop might have been the best smelling part of him as a newborn.

I can think of a lot worse things than popcorn poop!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:48 am 
Nooch of Earl

I always thought the NB poop smelled..yeasty, like bread. Fermented. I suppose this might come across as cheese but it didn't to me.

What does smell like cheese to me is the curdled milk spit up (the, uh, chunky stuff that comes out of the stomach). If V's gotten some of this on her or her clothes she starts to smell like cheese, and then it's bathtime.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:08 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I can't believe I managed to forget this, but our little butterball had like, dead skin from her neck folds rubbing together and probably trapped milk and it made this paste-like stuff with a strong funky cheese smell. Fascinating but gross.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:33 am 
Semen Strong

Darjeeling! You're due on 10/29! How do you feel?

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:33 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I'm feeling really good still, thanks- hoping it keeps up. I've been kind of trying to be pregnant superwoman, zipping past slow walkers and working a lot of 12-hour days but I think I and all my colleagues have finally realized that I could go at any time and need to be transitioning my matters before it's too late.

How about you? You're hot on my heels!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:27 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

darjeeling wrote:
I can't believe I managed to forget this, but our little butterball had like, dead skin from her neck folds rubbing together and probably trapped milk and it made this paste-like stuff with a strong funky cheese smell. Fascinating but gross.

we had to take sprog to the doc for this ("cheezy neck")- also she was so fat that the folds were deep and god only knows what was growing in there. to this day, if you want to peas off sprog, call her cheezy neck.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:52 am 
Married to the wolfman

We lived in terror of the Emperor developing a yeast infection in his neck folds because he had so many of them that there was no way to get them all clean at the same time. Never happened, though he did get mild oral thrush at one point and had diaper area yeast problems a couple of times.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:10 am 
Semen Strong

Talked to two friends who are physical therapists, and they were talking about how Erb's Palsy is caused by pulling babies out by their shoulders and causing nerve damage. They recommended putting in the birth plan that the baby is not to be pulled out but that you want to be coached to be allow him/her to exit more slowly during the pushing phase.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002370/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:59 pm 
Semen Strong

I have PUPPP (Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy), a skin rash that is apparently not uncommon in pregnant women. The theory is that it is the mother's skin reacting to the father's DNA in the baby, because when they do skin scrapings, they find paternal DNA. http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... s_and.html

So I literally have my husband under my skin.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:54 pm 
And you never will.

Oh my gosh Tofulish, I am so sorry you have PUPPP! My sister had it with her twins and was MISERABLE. The good news is that it goes away as soon as the baby is born!

Last edited by poopiebitch on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:02 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Tofulish wrote:
So I literally have my husband under my skin.

I believe he's now required by law to rub you with cocoa butter or your unguent of choice any time you get itchy.

Sorry Tofulish... PUPPP sounds really extremely unpleasant. Normal pregnancy itchiness (one of many things that plagued me with the Emperor) is bad enough. On the upside, I think PUPPP usually goes away pretty much right after birth right? So... you should be through it soon!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:02 pm 
Inflexitarian

Ugh, sorry to hear that Tofulish. My aunt had PUPPP and still talks about how miserable it made her to this day (it was nearly two decades ago).

BTW, has anyone had the phenomena of one of both of your legs just giving out while you walk? This is something new for me. I find it pretty amusing but it's also a little scary because it likes to happen at night or when I'm walking down a flight of stairs. I'll just feel a tingle in my gluts and then next thing you know I lose the ability to walk in that leg. My midwife and physical therapist both said it's because of where guineapiglet is sitting on my nerves. I'll take this over back pain anyday (which I've been fortunate not to have) but I just found it interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:32 pm 
Semen Strong

Yikes GP! That sounds scary! I hope you're able to manage it so as to stay as safe as possible. Is there a way to move her off your nerve a la spinning babies or chiro?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:24 pm 
Inflexitarian

I've actually gotten really good with it. The hip/glut pain of my 2nd trimester was a good preparation for this. It usually happens if I've been sitting down too long or if I roll on my back in the middle of the night or stay on one side too long. She's perfectly positioned for birth so I don't want to do anything to cause her to move - we laugh that she's been ready or birth for months now and we're just holding back her progress. She dropped 6 weeks ago, she's been in perfect position for 6 almost 7 weeks she's just ready so I don't want to disturb her. Now that I'm allowed to exercise again I'm going to do a lot more walking, lunges and squats and hopefully that will help a little. But really, all in all, I can't complain. So many crazy things have happened this pregnancy that I take these little things in stride.

BTW, I find it fascinating that you have the DNA of 3 people on your skin right now. That's just damn amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Not sure this counts as fascinating but I'm pretty weirded out by it: last evening I ate one of those Wildwood Probiotic Soygurts, which I love but haven't had in a while. Later on, I experienced something like 6 hours straight of super gas, painful enough to keep me awake! Since I've never had this happen before, I am assuming it is pregnancy-related. Worst part, I am still craving yogurt but am now afraid to eat it haha.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next