| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: The wEAn thread: support/help/? for moms done with it.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:25 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I haven't weaned completely but we night weaned. I had tried many times and failed because I gave in. But when I night weaned it NEEDED to happen because I was already not sleeping well and tired from pregnancy. Pretty much what Tlish described. It was uncomfortable couldn't sleep through and the anxiety of his teeth clamping down suddenly sometimes when he fell asleep. anyway, what really worked was being consistent and a hard asparagus about it. Since I didn't completely wean I could tell him the next time he could nurse. Like if he woke up I would say "no milk till the sun comes up, cuddle up to mama." Eventually that worked but it took a bi0t and the first few nights were awful. During the day he is only allowed to nurse 3 times. Morning (when the sun is up,) nap (after lunch) and before bed (after dinner.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:25 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, I am kind of too much of a pushover at the moment, so I say "No mommy's boobies are sleeping, can I cuddle you or give you water?" And then she will sometimes drink the water or come in for a cuddle, but minutes later she is clawing at me and crying for boobies, and I feel like a monster, so there you go. But I am already so tired all the time, and having so much of my sleep interrupted is doing a number on me.

We tried to have her sleep with B,and she was Not Having It.

Is it hard nursing both Amelia and Elliot? Leela loves nursing so much, I would be worried that if I tandem nursed, my newborn wouldn't get much, though given how much oversupply I had last time, there would probably be enough for both of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:01 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

It wasn't hard the first few weeks nursing them both but it became hard when E started being more demanding and I was working on Amelia's latch so having to pay close attention, use both hands etc. It still isn't easy to nurse them both at the same time comfortably. Mostly because of my oversupply and having to get Amelia in a specific position or she chokes or unlatches. I don't regret not weaning Elliot because it has really helped him with the transition. Also still being able to calm him from tantrums etc. But we did have to put strict times to when he could nurse after the first couple weeks of adjustment.
But, this is just me but there is no way I could have not nightweaned before she was born. I can't nurse both of them at night and expect to sleep at all

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:07 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have found with just about every transition there is a bit of adjustment time, but it is always worth it after the three days or whatever it takes to adjust. I always think how it will suck to do something (weaving, potty training, etc) but if I just make the decision to do it and follow through then it's done. If I hadn't stuck by my decision I would still be nursing and changing diapers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
Yes, I am kind of too much of a pushover at the moment, so I say "No mommy's boobies are sleeping, can I cuddle you or give you water?" And then she will sometimes drink the water or come in for a cuddle, but minutes later she is clawing at me and crying for boobies, and I feel like a monster, so there you go. But I am already so tired all the time, and having so much of my sleep interrupted is doing a number on me.

We tried to have her sleep with B,and she was Not Having It.

Is it hard nursing both Amelia and Elliot? Leela loves nursing so much, I would be worried that if I tandem nursed, my newborn wouldn't get much, though given how much oversupply I had last time, there would probably be enough for both of them.

Are you pregnant?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:34 pm 
Naked Under Apron

ugh it sounds like the key is saying NO in one way or another, and then sticking by it. That sounds incredibly hard, but what did I expect?
we're just coming off a one month "phase" I guess where Sierra wanted to nurse constantly and didn't want to sleep in her crib but the past few days she hasn't been asking to nurse and slept fine as well. I was getting really, really tired of the clawing and thinking about weaning because oh man, I could not EVER sit down in my house without her running over signing MILK and saying "pweeez". If I kept moving and doing stuff, which was easy because it was holidays and we are still unpacking from the move, she'd be ok but the sight of me on the couch was too much for her to take hahaha.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:55 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yes, Audrey, we have that couch thing too! I have to stay busy at all times.

Your comments have helped me make a plan that worked well yesterday. I think talking about it with her really helped. I told her we would only nurse once the sun came up and when the time came, she fussed a bit but calmed down. Nothing like the fits she was throwing before, so I don't know if something else was up or just the talking that helped. This morning the sun never really came up due to the weather and the early hour I have to leave for work. She kept raising up from the bed and looking at the windows...it was cute. Finally, when it was just about time for me to get up I explained that the sun was there but we couldn't see it. I hate to make a confusing issue even more complicated! I'm going to see if I can find an ap to make my ipad light up or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:57 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:

I know you didn't ask me, but Beetroot nursed a TON, even after Raygold was born and I never had supply issues and Raygold always got enough milk and stayed on his growth chart line and everything. (I tandem nursed for just over 2 years. That was something I NEVER thought I would do.)

Raygold was a big night-nurser when he was 2, too, but had dropped all his night feeds by about 28 months.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:22 am 
Semen Strong

TCC! Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it!

If I can manage to sustain this pregnancy, I really would like to nurse through the whole things and then tandem nurse, and I would love to find a way to co-sleep with Twofetus as well as Leela. I just know my stepsister had to stop nursing because it was giving her contractions, at around 20 weeks and I know milk dries up around 16 weeks for people.

It feels a bit early to start wondering about that stuff, since we still don't even know if this pregnancy is viable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:18 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

She spoke!! I don't know if you broke the news somewhere else, but Yay, Tofulish! I am thinking and hoping the happiest of happy thoughts for you and Twofetus!!

(Will was still nursing when I found out I was pregnant, but I think he was already down to 2-3/day. By 12 weeks, he lost interest. I read lots about nursing/contractions and I remember Kellymom had some great info.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:18 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Tofulish wrote:
TCC! Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it!

If I can manage to sustain this pregnancy, I really would like to nurse through the whole things and then tandem nurse, and I would love to find a way to co-sleep with Twofetus as well as Leela. I just know my stepsister had to stop nursing because it was giving her contractions, at around 20 weeks and I know milk dries up around 16 weeks for people.

It feels a bit early to start wondering about that stuff, since we still don't even know if this pregnancy is viable.

I think the reduction in milk has definitely started with us - V still nurses once a day or so, but I'm not sure she's actually getting much/anything. (I think I'm at about 19 weeks) She's definitely been nursing a lot less often than before, which honestly has been a welcome change for us. But I hope you're able to reach your goals!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:28 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I haven't had experience with night weaning, but some moms have recommended the book "Nursies When the Sun Shines."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

BTW, my milk never dried up, but it did turn to colostrum at some point and Beety's poops got more gooey until I gave birth and my milk came in. ;p It was handy to have another breastfeeder for relieving engorgement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5