| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Traveling with a baby
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:23 pm 
And you never will.

Two days from right now, I will be on a nine hour flight with a three month old. From the time we leave our home to the time we arrive at the in-laws' in England it will be almost 24 hours travel time. Poopiebaby hates the car, but thankfully we'll only be in a car for no more than an hour at a time at either end (hopefully).

Anyone have any advice for long-distance traveling with a baby? Nine hours on a plane (plus a four hour layover and another flight after that) is kind of freaking me out.

Tell me it'll be okay?

Post subject: Re: Traveling with a baby
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:44 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

it'll be ok! the younger they are, the easier it is. i just spent 7 hours on a train yesterday, by myself with tzippy, plus a 2 hour delay in a cruddy little train station. we survived, but it would have been less work with a 3 month old! anyway, bring a good baby carrier, lots of easily accessible wipes, diapers and changes of clothes (for everyone!) and good snacks and liquids for yourself. plan to do a lot of nursing, nap/rest as much as you can when he is napping, and just try to relax and go with the flow. the biggest mistake i think people make when traveling with babies is getting stressed about their schedule getting messed up. of course it's going to be messed up! just try to keep everyone as clean and rested and well-fed as possible and you will be just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:21 pm 
Married to the wolfman

littlebird wrote:
it'll be ok! the younger they are, the easier it is.

This is what I think too!

I think the main suggestion people throw around for babies that age is to just nurse, nurse, nurse your heart out. (Or bottle, bottle, bottle your heart out if that's the way you roll.)

A 3 month old doesn't have a real concrete model of the universe yet... he's not necessarily gonna realize you're spending 9 hours in a different place than he usually spends 9 hours in. If you spend a lot of time walking him around normally, try walking him up and down the aisle. If you normally have him in a wrap, cool. If you normally bounce him on an exercise ball... okay, I got nothin' for that one. I would just try to keep things as NORMAL as possible and go from there.

Oh, you know what else I always hear from ladies at the new parents support group around here? If you have anxiety about how other people on the plane are going to feel towards your baby, you might feel better if you bring ear plugs for the people around you, or cookies or something. (I'm personally more in the "screw 'em, we were all babies once" camp but I do understand this anxiety.)

And you know what? Even if your kid freaks out and is horrible on the plane, it's only 9 hours of your lives and everyone else's lives. It's going to be over and done with SO fast and you're going to have a great time in England. (JEALOUS.)

Have a great trip Poopie!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

oh, i totally agree that it is easier to travel when they are that young. as long as you can still hold them and nurse them a ton they are pretty easy to placate. i had a much harder time travelling with my son when he was 14 months than when he was 2 months.

a carrier can be helpful, but i have had flight attendants tell me that i had to take it off during the flight (i guess it can be a hazard in case of emergencies because it could catch on something... i don't know). that didn't happen on every flight, but it's worth knowing it could happen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:03 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i did four flights (three by myself) with a 6 month old when we moved and it was fine. i agree with the carrier- i used a sling, my son already loved being in it, and it was handy for nursing, as a baby blanket. got having hands free as i needed to darry everything through the airports, and for calming him down as we waited. Don't be afraid to ask for an aisle seat and walk him if you need to, and ask the checkin at boarding if you can board early once they begin. they don't always do this for people with children anymore, but with all you have to handle, it is very helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:50 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Just wanted to agree with everyone that you're going to do fine! Stay cool and calm and poopiebaby shall do the same (they really feed off our emotions it feels like). Bring your wrap, some rescue remedy, and be ready to nurse. Have fun in England!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:31 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks everyone! When we were trying to decide when to make this trip, my husband started pushing for Christmas and I had to really fight him for earlier. I figured it would be way easier traveling with a 3-4 month old than a 5-6 month old, so I'm glad that others agree!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Have a great flight poopie! I'm sure poopie mere and pere are over the moon to meet poopiepeter.

My sister did a lot of traveling when her baby was very young, and was able to do it by herself. Once he got bigger and more adept at escaping and dashing away down the aisles at people it got harder, and she doesn't travel with out her husband - so at least one person can be on blocking duty.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I flew from the UAE to New Zealand next to a lady with a baby. She nursed whenever he was fussy and it seemed to work really well. That baby got boobed a LOT, but he would fall right asleep afterwards.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:21 pm 
And you never will.

I really love that you just used boobed as a verb.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:14 pm 

ha, boobed! Accurate description though, it is what got us through several flights with my oldest. I think you will be fine!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:46 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

The worst time for young babies on flights is descent and landing. Their ears are much more sensitive to the changes in air pressure as the plane descends. Whenever you fly you notice that a lot of young babies start to cry and get upset during this phase of the flight so be aware of that and provide something to suck on at that time. That's why the cabin crew on short flights hand out boiled sweets to give you something to suck on as the jaw motion helps to relieve the air pressure that gets trapped in your ear canal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:24 pm 
And you never will.

We're here! Poopiebaby handled the flights like a pro. I am so proud of him. We nursed a LOT, he slept most of the time and played the rest, and he barely fussed at all. When we waiting to get off the long flight from Memphis to Amsterdam, a bunch of people who had been sitting a few rows back commented as they went past saying things like "there was a baby on this flight? I had no idea!" and "oh wow, he was so quiet I didn't know he was there!".

Of course, now it's 1am local time (7pm our time) and he is AWAKE and wanting to play - but that'll all get sorted. I'm just we made it okay! Thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:20 am 
Saggy Butt

hooray! way to go, poopiebaby!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:07 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Awesome! I'm so glad to hear it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:32 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

At 3 months old so long as they can poop and eat they're good ;)

My friend took her brood back to aus which was basically a million hrs and a stop over in Singapore as well, your youngest was @ 4 months or so and he was apparently a dream... her 2 and 4 year old however she wanted to throw out of the window.

I know its worrying to think your going to get nasty looks if your little 'un starts a wailing but just stick your tongue out at them... they're probably bitter unhappy people who have nothing better to do than make mums feel bad.

xxx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Yay! You made it. He'll just get on local time and it will be time to come back again...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm glad you, Poopiebaby, and hubby made it to England without too much hassle!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh boy, turns out I will be flying for a trip to Canada mid December. I'm not too worried about the flight, since it will only be an hour or so, but I'm wondering what the heck to pack for the rest of the trip. We'll be there 4-5 days or so.

I especially wonder what to do about bottles - since I've got to get Kai used to a bottle before i go back to work in Jan, he'll be partly breastfed and part bottle fed at that point. So do i also need to bring my pump, bottles,sterilizer etc? Seems like a crazy amount of gear, never mind trying to fit it all in a carry on. Or will I be able to skip the bottles and just breastfeed him that week? I have no idea since I am totally new to this.

We figure we'll rent a car seat with the rental car, and won't need a stroller since we won't be walking much - just going from hotel room to car to various families' places. I have a Mei tai but Kai doesn't like it much, so i just ordered a k'tan- hopefully he'll like it. luckily he loves riding in the car, since we'll have to do a couple 1.5 hour drives.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:49 pm 
Saggy Butt

i think you would probably be able to just breastfeed him, but you might want to bring some bottles or your pump just in case. as for fitting it all in a carryon -- you can have an additional bag that is a diaper bag, on top of the regular carryon allowance. you should check on the website of the airline you're flying, but most of them seem to allow diaper bags as a separate thing from the normal restrictions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:44 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I would plan on breastfeeding but bring a bottle and hand pump just in case you need it. My boobs aren't real big so I have a hard time nursing a baby in a car seat. The bottle would be helpful for the drives if you can't flop your boob into their seat easily.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Megan My Dear wrote:
I would plan on breastfeeding but bring a bottle and hand pump just in case you need it. My boobs aren't real big so I have a hard time nursing a baby in a car seat. The bottle would be helpful for the drives if you can't flop your boob into their seat easily.

A hand pump is a good idea...because my pump set is huge, it would take up 1/3 of my luggage. I could fill the whole thing just with my own clothes, especially going to Canada in Dec, I'll need bulky sweaters. Then there is all of Kai's clothes (his diapers leak a lot because he is so skinny & long, so I'll need a couple changes per day), washcloths, burp cloths, swaddles, blankets oh my!

At least I feel a bit better about the sterilizing thing - I either don't have to do it or maybe I can use the playtex disposable bag things.

I also figure I'll bring just enough diapers and wipes to get me through the flight, then we can buy a box at the first store we come to. That will save a lot of room in the luggage.

But man, this seems worse than when I moved cross country in my early 20's on a flight with 3 coats on, a cat, a sling filled with kites and my pockets stuffed with items! Hahaha OK not really but it sure is a lot to pack.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:43 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

unless he is very prone to infection sterilizing isn't really necessary. just bring a bit of dish soap with you. we have washed many a bottle in hotels and airports.

i love my medela hand pump. when zelda started sleeping more at night i kept it by my bed to prevent leaking and to ease the engorgement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:54 pm 

Aubade,

check with the airline, but pump stuff might be like the stroller and car seat, they don't count toward your luggage. I know if you bring pumped milk they dont count it as a liquid.

Can you mail stuff to your destination? I did this, and it was so helpful. I just carried what we would need for a day and a half, then had the rest waiting for me at my inlaws. We mailed it to our new house when we left.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:33 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I need to fly with Walter from the east coast to California sometime this spring. Do you think it would be better to fly during the day, when he's likely to be awake and nursing, or overnight, when he'll (hopefully) sleep? My concern about an overnight flight is that if he doesn't sleep, because of the pressure in his ears and the change in routine, that he'll cry the entire time (he's really cranky when he misses sleep).