| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Studies Examine Autism's Link to Antidepressants
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Studies Examine Autism's Link to Antidepressants

I'm sorry for being a downer, but this study has me really worked up. Apparently, they've found a link between autism and mothers taking antidepressants during their pregnancy. Maybe this wouldn't have freaked me out as much during normal circumstances, but I just started back on an antidepressant yesterday (after being off it for a month I realized that I really did still need it), and I go to the gym to work out, and this is the first news report I see on the tv.

Our Plan To End All Other Plans was for us to begin trying for baby #2 when Ezra turns 2 (April 2012), and I wanted to be off the meds for as long as possible before ttc. I know plans are made to be changed, but this is just hurting me so much. The idea that my PPD could affect a future child breaks my heart.

I know I shouldn't be putting that much thought into this study - it was a very small group and the first one of its kind, but still it has me wired. I wish having a family was a lot easier. Let me know your thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Studies Examine Autism's Link to Antidepressants
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I've been thinking about going back on zoloft (which I took for ppd when the Emperor was younger) preemptively during this pregnancy. Many people I know who had ppd the first time around have recommended this to me... I guess some people (including doctors) think this is really helpful.

So when I read about this study earlier, I really felt like puking. It brings back a lot of the feelings I had about taking an anti-depressant for ppd initially-- how can I do this "selfish" thing when I don't know what effect it's going to have on my kid?

You're right that it's just one small study. I hope it doesn't cause a lot of antidepressant paranoia that stops people who really need help from getting it.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:07 pm 
Inflexitarian

I was on Zoloft during the my third trimester with Felix, and for awhile when he was a newborn and breastfeeding. I went off of it for awhile, but I'm back on it now and he's still breastfeeding. Zoloft is apparently supposed to have less side effects for the fetus and breastfeeding infant than other antidepressants.
As far as I can tell, at 2 years, he's not autistic at all. Very outgoing, empathetic, talkative, social, etc. Whereas with Zola I wasn't on anything and I was anxious and worried and depressed all of the time. I often wonder if maybe my emotional state during my pregnancy with her has something to do with her anxiety and sensory integration issues. I have no idea about that, though, really. But I do know that the Zoloft has helped and continues to help me cope with my anxiety and depression, and obviously that's really beneficial for the kids. It helps me function as a better parent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Frick.....this is scary. I mean, there's so much that's unknown about autism and this is only one study, but my sister has moderate borderline severe ASD combined with developmental delays....and though I love her dearly it's so, so difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

The report I read about it today said that the authors of the study agreed that it is too small to use as a reason to make any behavior/ treatment changes.
keen_on_quinoa wrote:
But I do know that the Zoloft has helped and continues to help me cope with my anxiety and depression, and obviously that's really beneficial for the kids. It helps me function as a better parent.

This is so true. My mom was/is depressed (with no treatment) and I know it seriously affected/s me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:38 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I never took a thing with my son and he's on the spectrum, meanwhile I was on a billion medications (not for depression) with my last one and *knock on wood* no issues. Sometimes I read studies of why he is the way he is, and why he has unrelated medical problems, and they do nothing but make me feel guilty which is not healthy for either of us. I was majorly stressed out and depressed during my last pregnancy and had nasty stuff happen like bleeding, early contractions, puking non stop-so if I went on meds for that I think maybe some of that wouldn't have happened.
I think for some reason that is unknown, my son thinks differently than the rest of us which in someways is refreshing-like he's going to be a mad scientist and cure cancer because he gets obsessed with one thing and has to learn everything about that subject. I can barely finish typing this reply because I get too distracted haha.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:50 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

sigh. I hate these studies, they prove nothing conclusively and just stress people out. Even in the article it points out "So what looks like a link between antidepressants and autism could be a genetic predisposition to to this cluster of conditions." Is the meds or is it the anxiety and depression that the meds treat? Who knows. I pretty much attribute this stuff to mother blame, i.e. how did you break your kid through your thoughtless actions.

And really, autism isn't the end of the world. I have 2 awesome kids with autism, one high functioning, one moderate functioning with cognitive delays. Yes, it's not easy and has its own trials, but if it meant not having them just as they are, I wouldn't change it for the world. They are just that awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:27 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Aliks wrote:
I think for some reason that is unknown, my son thinks differently than the rest of us which in someways is refreshing-like he's going to be a mad scientist and cure cancer because he gets obsessed with one thing and has to learn everything about that subject. I can barely finish typing this reply because I get too distracted haha.

This is such a refreshing way to speak about it - thank you!

I know I shouldn't get so worked up about all of this. It's just one study, autism is such an unknown at this point, and I know that me taking my half a pill of paxil everyday years before the kid is born does not immediately equal OMG-something's-wrong-with-your-kid. And I know that autism is nowhere near the end of the world. My husband is on the spectrum (which also heightens our worries) and I love him for who he is, not the label that others might give him. But the fact is that if I give birth to any child who isn't perfectly healthy, I am going to blame myself. It happened with Ezra, and I could definitely see myself falling back into that trap. I've lost enough with my PPD, and I don't think I could handle anything else going wrong. These studies seem to scare more than help at this point. There isn't a perfect answer, so we do what we need to do in order to survive and be the best moms that we can be.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Empress wrote:

And really, autism isn't the end of the world. I have 2 awesome kids with autism, one high functioning, one moderate functioning with cognitive delays. Yes, it's not easy and has its own trials, but if it meant not having them just as they are, I wouldn't change it for the world. They are just that awesome.

<3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:08 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I think it's just another piece in a puzzle. It's nearly impossible to "prove" things in research... it's just how strong of a correlation can you get, and how many times can you replicate it? It took decades to "prove" cigarettes cause cancer. In this one study, there's a strong correlation, and I think it's something one would consider among a variety of other risk factors for other things when planning a family. Obviously, if the risk of harm to Mom is greater without anti-depressants, then she should keep taking them. For someone like me, who may have the option of anti-depressants to try and help my stomach heal but is also planning a pregnancy for the not too distant future, I think I'll choose to explore other avenues of treatment that would be safer to a fetus (not just because of possible autism risk, but because of possible other risks like heart defects). It's all about weighing risk and benefit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:19 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Kelly wrote:
Empress wrote:

<3

Yes, <3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:20 pm 
Grandfathered In

I think we need studies like this. Without them, how are we going to learn about these big, sweeping things for which our own immediate experiences can't provide much useful information?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:52 pm 
Semen Strong

I liked RC's point - its good to have the information to inform choices we make, but the truth is that we all expose our kids to something.

I've battled anxiety for most of my life, does that mean that my kid is going to be on the spectrum? My husband's family has so much bipolar and alcoholism in it, does that mean that my kid is going to be a bipolar alcoholic? And we're both old - if you believe the BBC poll, there are a lot of people who don't even think that people my age should be having kids because of the increased risk of health issues for the kid and of my husband and I dying before she is an adult.

And at the end of the day, you love your child, and support them with any challenges that they may face.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:25 am 
ol' garly cooch

I take meds. I need meds, or I'd commit suicide or kill someone. I have two kids without autism. If my kids had autism, I'd still love them because a) they are my kids, and b) autism is something that happens like diabetes, epilepsy, and other medical issues. We are not our diagnoses.

I'm not trying to discount the post. I get that fear. There are many reports that scare me too, I've just learned to blur them out because there's usually an underlying agenda that is being pushed. Think about it. Someone dresses up in a lab coat and tells us all we need calcium from cow's milk and it's sponsored by the dairy association. Let us not forget how everyone was freaked out by the vaccine/autism correlation that was proved to be false.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:38 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm probably going to sound like a jerk......but autism isn't like diabetes. Kids with chronic illnesses can go on to live independently, while kids with severe autism (like my sister) will rely on caregivers for the rest of her life. Ever since I came to the realization that my sisters needs will one day be my responsibility (when I was about 8) I have always worried about how I'd take care of her.

I love my sister so much- but it was and still is so, so hard. Growing up she didn't speak, would scream day in and day out and would lash out with physical aggression. She's come a long way- and while I love her the way she is, if there was something I could do to prevent autism for my kids I'd want to do it.

Argh. I know that comes off as ableist and I know some ppkers are on the spectrum....but the fact is that we don't live in a world that supports folks with disabilities.....and the resulting financial and emotional strain is huge.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:26 pm 
Semen Strong

I love you Rowan.

There was a similar discussion on Down Syndrome at one point in the Pregnancy Updates thread, because about 85%+ of people who discover that their child has DS in utero choose to terminate the pregnancy, while others have family members with DS whom they love deeply. The truth is that autism and DS can be a very broad spectrum from people who are nearly completely functional, who can live independently, have great relationships and great standard of living with only a little help, to people who will need lifelong care.

I didn't mean my post to be dismissive of the real challenges faced by caregivers for people on the spectrum.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Love you too Tofulish.

and I didn't mean to accuse anyone of being dismissive (and I know I quoted Jewbacca but didn't mean to single her out).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:52 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

The thing to keep in mind is because of the changes in diagnosing autism and awareness, many kids who would have been labeled from quirky to mental retardation are now being classified as autism. Generic MR/DD diagnoses are way, way down, because services for autism are much more accessible than services for MR/DD, not to mention funding. Autism is a broad range of symptoms and behaviors. There is a saying, "if you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism." My two kids are totally different, the oldest is high functioning and she is more difficult to deal with at times than my son, who is moderate functiong with cognitive delays, he's such an easy going sweet kid. And then my neurotypical toddler is the high maintenance of all, she's a little spitfire.

So trying to attribute one type of cause when there is so much diversity on how affects people is just, well, dumb.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

I hate articles like this. The sample size is large enough for a study like "Can people tell the difference between generic and premium juice?" or something, but not for serious, health-related issues. A link cannot be established with a small, one-time observational study. Also, autism isn't inherently a bad thing. But mostly, my problem is that this could inspire more unnecessary guilt in mothers and ableist "Amurca is too medicated" bullshiitake from the general public. You're already probably doing the best you can, and society is telling you that you're crazy and selfish for taking antidepressants. It's awful. There is nothing wrong with being medicated for a disease such as depression. It's much better than hurting yourself or others by trying to suffer through it.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

chatter710 wrote:
I hate articles like this. The sample size is large enough for a study like "Can people tell the difference between generic and premium juice?" or something, but not for serious, health-related issues. A link cannot be established with a small, one-time observational study. Also, autism isn't inherently a bad thing. But mostly, my problem is that this could inspire more unnecessary guilt in mothers and ableist "Amurca is too medicated" bullshiitake from the general public. You're already probably doing the best you can, and society is telling you that you're crazy and selfish for taking antidepressants. It's awful. There is nothing wrong with being medicated for a disease such as depression. It's much better than hurting yourself or others by trying to suffer through it.

The original (debunked/fraudulent) vaccine/autism study had a sample size of 12. The anti-depressant/autism study had a sample size of nearly 2000. The study was retrospective - they looked at kids with autism and without and checked to see if the mothers had used anti-depressants. It doesn't sound like it was poor methodology. But it IS only one study, and you can't make broad generalizations or decisions based on one study (the study authors make this pretty clear!). That said -- people flipped out over a study with much weaker methodology. The general public is not well educated about research methodology, and isn't too discriminating in what they believe/don't believe.

I don't think that the study is saying that anyone is being "crazy and selfish for taking antidepressants" or that there is anything wrong with taking them. It's just another avenue that is being explored in identifying root causes for autism - I don't think the researchers were doing it to be judgmental. America is pretty pill happy in general, and I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning what the effects of that are across all facets of life.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:55 pm 
Semen Strong

I also think its problematic to say that the study is problematic because it "could inspire more unnecessary guilt in mothers and ableist "Amurca is too medicated" bullshiitake from the general public."" A study is a study, its just information. As all the previous posters have said, you learn as much as you can and you make the best decision you can for your family.

RabidChild made the great point (higher upthread) that although many are in the position that antidepressants are actively making their lives better and even saving them (and these people are the ones where the benefits outweigh the risks) there are others on anti-depressants for treatment of other conditions where the benefits may not outweigh the risks, and those people (RC included) can find alternative treatments that presumably are less risky.

And although autism isn't "inherently a bad thing" as Rowan points out, it can pose challenges that some may not feel set up to handle. There is nothing wrong with being autistic, absolutely, but neither is there anything wrong with saying that given the challenges that someone with autism might face, I feel like I'd rather not take anti-depressants given that I have other alternative treatments that are as effective.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

rabidchild wrote:
chatter710 wrote:

The original (debunked/fraudulent) vaccine/autism study had a sample size of 12. The anti-depressant/autism study had a sample size of nearly 2000. The study was retrospective - they looked at kids with autism and without and checked to see if the mothers had used anti-depressants. It doesn't sound like it was poor methodology.

Of course it wasn't poor methodology... you just defined "observational study."

Quote:
But it IS only one study, and you can't make broad generalizations or decisions based on one study (the study authors make this pretty clear!). That said -- people flipped out over a study with much weaker methodology. The general public is not well educated about research methodology, and isn't too discriminating in what they believe/don't believe.

I don't think that the study is saying that anyone is being "crazy and selfish for taking antidepressants" or that there is anything wrong with taking them. It's just another avenue that is being explored in identifying root causes for autism - I don't think the researchers were doing it to be judgmental. America is pretty pill happy in general, and I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning what the effects of that are across all facets of life.

Okay, well, I'm mostly responding to the freaking out in this thread. I know how shitty and demeaning it is to be judged for taking psychiatric meds, but that plus the worrying that comes with being a parent piled on is probably ridiculous. I don't want anyone to feel like they're potentially hurting their kids in trying to do this beneficial thing for themselves.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:47 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Hormonally induced prenatal depression is hard to treat without medications, though. Meds with CBT is best. And other studies have indicated stress hormones from the mother have negative effects, too. It seems to be a half dozen one way, 6 another. Both approaches have their merits and drawbacks, and it comes down to you can't ultimately control what challenges your child may face.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:08 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

with the guilt thing, something like this could make a parent feel guilty if it's a recent autism diagnosis. I know with my sons type 1 diabetes-I immediately went online after we got home from the hospital and read the theories of causes and felt like shit-I didn't nurse/pump long enough, he had dairy, we have a genetic history-I thought it was all my fault and I think it took a good year where I came to terms with it. People still claim it's my fault cause of the nasty stigma of diabetes, like I force fed him sugar and wouldn't let him exercise when really it's autoimmune. To make things even more super-people would email me these links of ways I could have prevented it or crazy "cures" like I liked watching him suffer when noni juice and cinnamon is the answer. People still do that and I block them. The same kid has been diagnosed with hypotonia, autism stuff, and recently asthma. With those recent diagnosis' it didn't hurt that bad for me, maybe cause I've already been through the wave of all those feelings.
As for chronic illnesses-the kid may not grow up to live on their own. There can be complications that can affect multiple organs and the brain. We're still finding out things, maybe all the crepe he has is somehow related-I know the hypotonia and autism stuff has a link somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:42 pm 
Nailed to the V

Aliks wrote:
with the guilt thing, something like this could make a parent feel guilty if it's a recent autism diagnosis. I know with my sons type 1 diabetes-I immediately went online after we got home from the hospital and read the theories of causes and felt like shit-I didn't nurse/pump long enough, he had dairy, we have a genetic history-I thought it was all my fault and I think it took a good year where I came to terms with it. People still claim it's my fault cause of the nasty stigma of diabetes, like I force fed him sugar and wouldn't let him exercise when really it's autoimmune. To make things even more super-people would email me these links of ways I could have prevented it or crazy "cures" like I liked watching him suffer when noni juice and cinnamon is the answer. People still do that and I block them. The same kid has been diagnosed with hypotonia, autism stuff, and recently asthma. With those recent diagnosis' it didn't hurt that bad for me, maybe cause I've already been through the wave of all those feelings.
As for chronic illnesses-the kid may not grow up to live on their own. There can be complications that can affect multiple organs and the brain. We're still finding out things, maybe all the crepe he has is somehow related-I know the hypotonia and autism stuff has a link somewhere.

I want to hug you so tight.