What time do your kids go to bed?
7pm 17%  17%  [ 6 ]
8pm 33%  33%  [ 12 ]
9pm 28%  28%  [ 10 ]
10pm 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
11pm 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
whenever I can get them to sleep 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject: Re: What time do your children go to sleep?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:08 pm 
Inflexitarian

Thanks guys. I just know that it's good for kids to have structure and routines, and sometimes I'm not so good at that. I'm pretty sure they get enough sleep, though, so I think we're probably doing alright.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:03 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Jewbacca, we are going through the same thing. We always use the potty before getting into jammies, but he still will ask (and at least once manage to go) and sometimes he poops at bedtime. There is no way that I am going to tell him he can't go to the bathroom, but I think he knows that it's a way to get out of his room too, and he'll happily sit there for up to 15 minutes talking to himself. He has backed off the bathroom thing a little bit though he's still trying other ways to stall. I don't know how to deal with it at all except by telling him no to certain things and bargaining.
One thing that has sort of worked is telling him that one of his stuffed animals or cars is sleepy and they need his help to fall asleep and then I give him ideas like you can read a book to them or sing a song, which song do you think they like?, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:13 am 
ol' garly cooch

That's a good idea, Kiddo. I've also been telling Blasto that he needs the rest to recharge his superhero batteries, which occasionally works.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:46 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

As of the beginning of this week Reno's bedtime is 9:00. Since her brother was born we've been letting her stay up til 10 or 10:30 because she was jealous he wasn't going to bed when she was.

At 8:30 we warn her that bedtime is coming soon and make her pee/brush her teeth and if she's not acting up we will read her a story and hang out with her for a bit then she MUST go to bed. I don't care if she looks at books or plays with dolls in her bed til 10 I just want her in bed by 9. So far its working and she's usually asleep in 15 minutes. Once school starts again I'm going to change her bedtime to 8:30 and then change it again when daylight savings happens to 8:00. Its hard for her to understand why she has to go to bed when it is still light out in at these times in the summer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:20 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I chose 8 because that's our goal time. We don't always actually get her to sleep by 8 but we try to have her in bed by then as much as possible.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:13 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I put down 8, but it is really between 8 and 9. 8 would be ideal, but I usually lose track of time. They didn't always have a set bedtime, but I started really wanting some hours to myself and once Raygold actually started sleeping (very recently), I went for it. If I put them to bed any earlier, they are up at the crack of dawn. They wake up between 7 and 8 as it is. My SIL puts her kids to bed at 7 and they don't get up until 9!!!

Our routine is pretty simple. Brush teeth, change R's diaper, make sure B pees, put on jammies, story (and sometimes a song), lights out (cue R begging for 'boobie' and B wiggling and squirming).
B: BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!
TCC: Shhh!
B: Blah blah blah!
TCC: No talking.
B: Blah blah blah.
TCC: NO TALKING.
TCC: Shhh!
TCC: *grumble*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:32 am 
***LIES!!!***

Last night, 1 am. Torture.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:15 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

so we tried bumping her from 7:30 to 8 to see if she was more tired if she'd go to sleep faster but she doesn't. we started doing that because sometimes 90 minutes after her bedtime she'll come out asking for hugs or water or to go pee or whatever. it didn't work so i put her back to 7:30 knowing she'll usually be asleep by 8:45. UGH.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:02 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

BUMP. Second verse, same as the first. (That is, see above for how Livi is sleeping.) Her school is cool - it actually says in the guidebook to make sure they're asleep by 8 so they get enough sleep for school!

She's really anxious when it gets later and she's still awake, so we moved her clock out of her room. This, of course, means she comes into my room to see what time it is when she wakes up. She slept late this morning (7:48) and told me that she was up from 2:20 to 6:01 before she fell back asleep.

She's almost 7 (OMG) and I don't know what to do to help her to get more sleep.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c