| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: toddlers & milks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:50 am 
Baking In The Flavor

My 14 month old daughter is starting to wean. She currently drinks breastmilk and organic soy formula. I thought that once she weaned there was no need for any sort of milks (soy, almond etc) or formula. In fact my pediatrician did not seem concerned at all that we weren't going to be doing cow's milk. But I just stumbled upon this and I'm not wondering if I was wrong on that. This article states that toddlers need:

Total 20 to 24 oz (600 to 700 ml); five servings of breast milk, commercial infant formula, full-fat fortified soy milk, or a combination of these.

Any help from experienced parents? Just when you think you know something you second guess everything...parenting is fun.. ha!

Post subject: Re: toddlers & milks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:53 am 
Baking In The Flavor

And in another article I see this: Certainly it makes sense for vegans to continue breast-feeding for a year or longer, if possible, because breast milk is a rich source of nutrients. Vegan infants should be weaned to a fortified soy milk containing calcium, vitamin B12, and vitamin D. Low-fat or non-fat soy milks should not be used before age 2. Milks based on rice, oats, hemp, almonds or other nuts, and coconut are not recommended as a primary beverage for infants and toddlers as they are quite low in protein and energy.

My thought was that we wouldn't wean her from breastmilk/formula to anything particular. I know some people wean from BM to cow's milk but I didn't think weaning to anything other than water was necessary. Now I feel like I may be all wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:33 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

It's pretty important to have a milk. It's very hard for small kids to get enough calcium and b12 without fortified plant milk until they're old enough for supplements. And vitamin D if you're consistently using sunscreen. Soy milk is helpful for getting enough protein and fat, too. Vegan foods are lower calorie, which is great for most adults, but kids need a more calorically dense diet since they're growing and have small stomachs.

I highly recommend Vegan for Life by Jack Norris and Ginny Messina. There's a whole chapter on feeding kids and another on teens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:14 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

milk is nutrient dense and toddlers are picky eaters and sometimes dont eat much. even if they are good eaters it's hard to get all the nutrients they need in their diet.

i just went through a whole thing with BabyPunk looking at the various nutrients in each type of plant milk because she has eating issues.

there's this thread down a few threads discussing plant milks
http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34657

depending on what your kid is eating the nutrients you may want to look for are Vit D, calcium, protein, B12, and iron

i dont know why the article you found says not to give kids under 2 soy. i never did any research on that though. BP didnt eat anything til after she was 2 anyways.

personally i recommend soymilk for the younger ones it's got a crepe ton more protein than almond milk.
i thought almond milk was higher in calcium but when i was looking at the Silk brand both soy and almond had the same amount of calcium. i was trying to diversify what plant milk BP drank for awhile because she eats tons of soy yogurt but then i realized soy milk had much more nutrients in it which she needs because her eating is poor.

i also found that not all plantmilks are fortified with B12, in fact most of the ones available around here are not. all Silk plant milks except the cashew one for some reason seem to have B12 and Vit D2. people say that the Whole Foods brand of plant milks also have B12.

if you can get your kid to eat a vitamin then that helps a lot. there is discussion of vitamins in different threads on here including the one i posted above.
not sure if a 14 month old would be able to handle a vitamin yet but every kid is different (im talking about the mechanics of chewing and eating something hard not the actual vitamin itself). but my opinion on all things food related is skewed because BP struggles so much in this department.

if your kid is a good eater it becomes less important but it's kind of a safety net to get nutrients into them.

mollyjade has a great suggestion with Vegan for Life. it's a great all around book for any vegan and has really solid science based research in it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:15 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

nevermind on one of my comments i read it wrong. i see it says not to use LOW FAT or NON FAT soy milk and not just soymilk.
i actually agree with that statement!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:30 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

sprout wrote:
My thought was that we wouldn't wean her from breastmilk/formula to anything particular. I know some people wean from BM to cow's milk but I didn't think weaning to anything other than water was necessary. Now I feel like I may be all wrong.

I think the deal is that a lot of kids under two seem to survive on breastmilk (or formula) and air. I never weaned my kids on to a milk (they will drink soya, but I don't push it, they ask to drink it sometimes), but I breastfed them until they were over 2.

IMO, supplementing with B12 and D are a big deal whether you wean them to water or milk.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:17 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

they also make liquid supplements if you arent interested in doing milk. im not sure a 14 month old is old enough to chew a vitamin (???) so that might be something you can do.

i will warn you though they taste AWFUL. i dont understand why they make such foul tasting stuff for kids. probably because they are mainly meant for really young babies with no opinions yet.

it's recommended to give even breastfeeding babies vit D because none of us get enough and they wont get enough from breastmilk. i saw the liquid one on the shelf at CVS the other day and it's specifically labeled "vitamin D supplement for breastfeeding infants." i really wasnt able to give it to BP because of her oral aversion issues. the vit D liquid probably tastes the best out of all the liquid supplements i tried. it tastes like synthetic honey. (i dont think theres any actual honey in it that's just what it reminds me of). you can buy that on amazon or at a pharmacy.

they make a liquid multivitamin and i even saw it on the shelf at CVS the other day. when i tried to give it to BP my dr gave me an Rx for it. the one we got was the most foul tasting awful thing i have ever put in my mouth. there was no way in hell i was going to be able to give it to her. i couldnt even hide it in a smoothie. it basically went down the drain after i tried 1-2 times to get it into her.

the iron liquid supplement is also unbelievably disgusting. not sure if that one is commericially available or if you need an Rx.

so yeah that's why milk is so much easier.
also i have no idea how you would get B12 into a vegan kiddo without supplementing in some way. even as an adult i take a B12 vitamin a few times a week so i get enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:51 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

yes i agree some plant milk fortified with b-12, vit D and calcium is important. My kid is allergic to soy so I gave him pacific oat milk because it has more protein than rice. i also mixed in a bit of flax seed oil when he was 2 for the omegas and added fat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:30 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I don't think milk is pretty important in and of itself. I think nutrition is pretty important. In the US they recommend no more than 16oz of any kind of milk/day past a year, not 20-24oz. More kids have an issue drinking too much milk and crowding out solid foods which are good sources of iron than kids having an issue drinking too little. Think about what milk might provide and whether your kid needs milk to be the thing providing it - calcium, B-12, vitamin D, fat (soy milk is the best source probably, but even so a much poorer source than cows' milk or breast milk or formula), protein (toddler protein needs are really very small, though, you don't have to go crazy with protein).

If your kid is a really good eater, I think using milk just as a beverage when they feel like it is totally fine. If your kid is not a really good eater, you have a different problem on your hands. We did soy formula for my first until she was 18 months, but really should've gone till 2 years because she still wasn't eating that well. She then weaned onto unsweetened soy milk, which we had to ratchet her down on because she was drinking too much/not eating enough. If I were nursing, I'd have kept nursing. She still drinks 10oz a day of soy milk at 4.5 years old, plus occasional chocolate plant milk.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:25 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Can I piggy back on this thread? I go back to work when baby is 1. Most moms here seem to wean at that point and go to cows milk. But if I continue to nurse and pump I don't have to worry right?

Sorry if I've asked something similar before. My brain is mush post baby.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:22 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

No need to do any other milk if you're still breastfeeding.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yup! No need to worry if you're still breastfeeding.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:23 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Thanks! I haven't really discussed veganism with her pediatrician because up until recently her diet was all breastmilk. But I plan on bringing it up at her 9 month appointment and wanted to be prepared in case he pushed the need for cow milk.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:22 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi, I couldn't BF when we had the twins, so we used some German made formulas, organic ; they loved it. It is rather easy to find in Europe but for the US and CanadaI think my friend who is New York gets it from http://myorganicformula.com. Anyway I really recommend the Hipp and Holle formulas over regular ones, which are full of GMO and sometimes pesticides..

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Hey lobster, I have been working, breastfeeding and pumping since A was about 7.5 months, she's one now and it's still going fine, I plan to carry on til she's 2 and then just can give her a multivitamin with b12 etc. Just make sure you take vitamins and have a good diet as if not your stores will be running low by now and it might start to affect your health.