| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pre-eclampsia, Toxemia, the Brewer Diet and Protein
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:24 am 
protein lump

i came really, really close to killing my mother with toxemia. i asked her about it and she said that while she wasn't positive that she was eating "enough" protein since she wasn't tracking her food or anything, she was still chowing down on plenty of omni proteins. so.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:35 am 
Semen Strong

Thank you so much for sharing all your stories.

There is so much guilt and blame for moms and the truth is that scientifically no one really knows what causes pre-e, learning disabilities, HELLP etc., and one mother can do everything "right" and still have a baby who has to deal with more complications while another takes less care and her child turns out fine. One of our extended family members (by marriage) has an adult child who was born with cerebral palsy, and she racks her brain even now, decades later, wondering when in her pregnancy she accidentally did something to deprive her child of oxygen, even though there is absolutely no way to do anything to fix it now, to determine what happened and why etc.

Its the part that I find so punitive, and that becomes so hard, because I feel like if anything goes "wrong" it will be attributed to my diet, so I'm almost trying just to cover bases. My partner has never done this before but this morning he asked - so how much protein did you have yesterday and how much are you planning to get today and where is it coming from? And so it becomes this interesting tyranny - does the baby's perceived interests trump mine in maintaining a vegan diet? If something happens, no one is going to say "she didn't work all pregnancy, she didn't clean with toxic chemicals, she didn't get stressed out, she did yoga, she didn't drink or do drugs...."

T, your surgeon sounds great. <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:29 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

This is one reason I'd love to design my own birthing class. There was too much quackery for my taste in the Bradley birth class that I took, but I wanted to take a class that focused on how to have a natural birth, so the typical classes offered at my hospital didn't fit the bill either. The diet section of the class was the most frustrating part overall because an entire class was basically devoted to bunk nutritional recommendations. I didn't like that the instructor repeatedly recommended homeopathic remedies either.

Where are the birthing classes for couples who want a natural birth, but don't want a lot of woo?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:49 pm 
Semen Strong

esme wrote:
i came really, really close to killing my mother with toxemia. i asked her about it and she said that while she wasn't positive that she was eating "enough" protein since she wasn't tracking her food or anything, she was still chowing down on plenty of omni proteins. so.

we need babyesme photos!

Also, if toxemia has a genetic component, remember to keep monitoring your health with BabesmeGorhontobe.

YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO HAVE THE CUTEST KIDS. I am going to die when your baby is born with wee muttonchops or pigtails.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:57 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I ate between 80 and 120 grams of protein (as a vegan) during my first pregnancy and still ended up with ore-e and HELLP. THat being said, I was exercising A LOT. From what I have since learned through my midwifery studies, if you are exercising a lot in pregnancy, you are going to lose 30-50% of your protein intake directly to muscle rebuilding. So that would put me more at 40 or 60 grams in an extreme case.

I go back and forth about whether my diet had anything to do with my pre-e. I do not think that being vegan had anything to do with it, however, it is possible that I was not eating enough calories to replace what I lost to exercise. I gained 24 lbs in 1st pregnancy, but it was almost all water weight. I gained 4 of those lbs the last day and was in my pre-pregnancy jeans the day I got home from the hospital. For my 2nd pregnancy I ate as much as I could and followed the Brewer diet (vegan version) more closely and did not get pre-e or HELLP. But it was my 2nd baby with same partner and I did lots of other things to prevent it like less exercise, lots of magnesium, calcium before conception, etc. I gained 30 lbs with that pregnancy and there was actual fat this time around. After baby was born I has 11 pounds of pregnancy weight to lose.

I think that the most likely reason that I got pre-e is because my mother had it and she has an autoimmune disease. Pre-e is much more likely to occur in mothers with autoimmune diseases. It is possible that I am predisposed to both the pre-e and the autoimmune disease.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i know this is an old thread but i felt it was an appropriate place for my questions in case anyone else had experience with this.

i already went into detail in the pregnancy thread about my experience so ill just say briefly i was admitted to the hospital with preeclampsia last tuesday and my daughter was born friday night after a week of hell.
ive never had high bp ever though i do have a prevalent family history.
my entire pregnancy my bp was low except one random high reading in which they had me lay on my left side for 10 mins and then it plummeted back really low again.

last tuesday was my first real high reading plus i had 2+ whatever protein in my pee.
post partum it continues to be super erratic.
they told me upon discharge to call if i had any headaches, epigastric pain, spots in my vision or vision changes or if my diastolic went over 100.

since being discharged ive had some upper abdomenal pain in the area that might be where you would have epigastric pain but i dont know if it's epigastric pain or just cramping from my uterus shrinking or muscle aches from using muscles i havent used in awhile. especially since i was essentially bed bound last week in the hospital using no muscles!
ive had zero vision changes and every once in awhile i get a small headache but i think its more food related (ie hunger) or lack of sleep from having a newborn.

when i try and sleep the discomfort is worst and my throat feels kinda burny sometimes kinda similar to my acid reflux problems i had during pregnancy.

we have a small blood pressure cuff at home we bought when my husband had white coat high bp a couple years ago and ive been randomly checking my bp and it's always high. my diastolic hasnt been lower than 98 and has gone a teensy weensy bit over 100 a couple times.

i am scheduled to go to the OB office tomorrow anyways for a "BP check" but im unsure if i should call them. i really dont want to get sent to the ER since i have a nursing newborn at home and just spent a fun filled week in the hospital but i get nervous when i get the pains.

anything i can do to help bring the BP down? my dad mentioned something about drinking a lot for fluids but he's not a doctor or anything :-P

after reading this thread and the whole protein/preeclampsia thing i will say i find that interesting because i ate like shiitake through my whole pregnancy and protein was an issue but i could barely eat anything so it does make me wonder but on the other hand through my entire pregnancy and through my entire preeclampsia experience no one has asked me about my diet. they've only asked me about my history of high BP (which there wasnt one)
if it was my diet i would imagine it would have built up before literally last tuesday!