| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Logistics And safety of cosleeping
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

W have been cosleeping. W started with a baby tray thing that went between Nate and I, I think it is called a snuggle nest, but every time grey would finish eating and I would put him back in he would wake up. I started just snuggling him in my arms and he and I both sleep better. I have also been breastfeeding on my side, so that helps me get a little more sleep. I agree with the others, I am not worried about rolling over on him. When he gets more mobile we will have to re evaluate the bed setup.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:06 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

hey everybody. ive got a few really basic questions.
we've never really coslept because of BabyPunk's size, i never felt it was safe.
now that she's older and bigger id like to have the option of cosleeping on nights where i just cant get her to sleep in the cosleeper.
so here are my issues:

for when your babies were young and smallish where did they physically sleep? sounds like for the most part either on top of you or in the crook of an arm. ive fallen asleep taht way several times (so i guess technically we have coslept) but here is my MAJOR issue. it is SUPER painful for me to sleep like that. my back and hips are forked up more than usual lately. i dont know if it's leftover bad mojo from pregnancy/delivery or if im just forked up but sleeping on my back for long periods of time, especially with something on top of me is wicked uncomfortable.
ive tried to move her to the crook of my arm and sort of roll over onto my side but i cant get enough onto my side to be comfy.
it would be ideal for her to sleep on her back in between my husband and i but i cant seem to get that to happen yet. maybe when she's older? she also wont sleep if i turn her a little so she's on her side a bit.

a couple times i have managed to lay on my side sort of with my body curled around her but her face ends up really close to my boobs and frankly im worried about boob suffocation (lol but seriously i am).

the other night i had this deep desire to just curl up and snuggle her all night and in my head it was this great blissful thing but in reality i got no sleep because i couldnt get comfy. i was trying to keep her in a good sleep position but also on top of an extra cloth prefold i had under her to add another layer of pee protection but after awhile even thugh i was on my side my hip started to hurt and i remembered i have to change positions 100 times a night or else im in pain (fun!)

maybe until i get my back/hip pain issues sorted cosleeping isnt for us?

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:09 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh i forgot one thing.
one of the reasons im more intersted NOW is that it's getting colder here. i can dress her up warm and i put blankies on her up to her arm pits but she sleeps with her arms out or up and everytime i pick her up her ears and her hands are ice cubes.
i cant cover her hands with the blankies cause either they are above her head or if she feels them in her hand she wnats to play ith them and flail around and go crazy with them

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:28 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We bedshared from day one (Sven was 8 lbs 9 oz at birth so bigger than BabyPunk for sure!). I had a co-sleeper attached to the bed that we basically only used as a bed rail and I switched sides to nurse throughout the night. I think I would sleep mostly on my side with my arm either touching him or lightly draped around him. I honestly don't remember being very comfortable during that time, but we had the worst mattress in the world at the time so it may not have been the co-sleeping but the total lack of proper support for my body. I still kept a pillow between my knees when I slept too. I did do a lot of side-lying nursing in bed and I felt like I was at the chiropractor all the time getting my hips fixed up. When he was older and rolling/crawling around in the bed on his own, it was a LOT easier for to sleep comfortably since I wasn't paranoid anymore and he could get himself comfy independent of me.

If you guys go for it, one thing we did that worked out really well was have separate blankets for Sven/me and my husband. I was always worried one of us would shift and if Sven was in the middle the blanket would go up over his head. We sleep in a king and each had our own twin-sized bedding and it worked out great. We didn't use a top sheet either, just blankets and duvets. For pee protection we would just put a few large towels under the sheet in the center of the bed. Otherwise I'd go nuts trying to keep him on a towel or keep myself from bunching it up.

Another thing to think about, since you mentioned that she is sleeping pretty long hours lately, is that she might wake up to eat more frequently if you are conveniently located next to her all the time!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:36 am 
***LIES!!!***

When Malka was a newborn, she slept on a very rigid piece of foam (like a crib mattress, but pillow sized) between us and nearer to the top of the bed than our heads were. I felt like there was no risk of rolling on her or boob suffocation like that. Our mattress then was kind of soft and lumpy with a big depression in the middle, so I did worry about putting her directly on the mattress. Some nights she just slept on top of me if she wouldn't stay asleep on her mini mattress. I sometimes wore her in the moby wrap and slept like that, i felt more secure that she wouldnt roll off me into a bad place that way. I also cant really sleep on my back, so when she was on top of me i slept on a bunch of stacked pillows semi reclined because that was the only way i could fall asleep. She almost always refused to sleep in the cosleeper. We are now basically back to 100% cosleeping after a period of having her sleep in her own bed at least part of the night (she seems to be afraid to be alone these days, and possibly afraid of the dark, ugh), but now she is more of a danger to us than the other way around!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:39 am 
***LIES!!!***

LisaPunk wrote:
oh i forgot one thing.
one of the reasons im more intersted NOW is that it's getting colder here. i can dress her up warm and i put blankies on her up to her arm pits but she sleeps with her arms out or up and everytime i pick her up her ears and her hands are ice cubes.
i cant cover her hands with the blankies cause either they are above her head or if she feels them in her hand she wnats to play ith them and flail around and go crazy with them

Does she seem uncomfortable? Is she waking up from the cold? If not, it may not be a big deal. Malka seems to prefer sleeping in a cold room, just like my husband does. And if her core temperature is taken care of with warm clothing, having chilly ears is not such a big deal unless it is uncomfortable. If you are really worried, she can wear a hat to bed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the towels under the sheets sounds like a really great idea because that's one of the things im most concerned about. we have a nice mattress. i dont mind having to wash sheets but i dont want a pee mattress. do they even make king sized waterproof mattress covers? the towels will be good because like you said about stuff getting scrunched up i keep having issues keeping the prefold where i want it and her butt ON it.

the different blankets is a good idea too. when it was cold out my arms were freezing but i didnt want to pull the sheet up too far on her.

as far as her being cold she doesnt seem uncomfortable or waking up because of it. her core temp is definitely nice and toasty it's just the ears and hands. i know i can put a hat on her but her hands are iced cubes. we never bought any baby mittens and i feel like almost 5 months is too old for them. i just feel like the worst mom ever when i wake up and she has ice cube hands but i guess it's not really a big deal if SHE is warm.
we dont like to turn the heat up very high in the winter because our furnace runs on oil and that is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
maybe i can get her integrated into the bed by the time it's really cold out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Never too late to try mittens!

We also bought some super absorbent pee pads to put under the fitted sheet or on her foam pad. Towels are good, they just take up more space in the wash than pee pads. We still use a water resistant cover under the mattress, too, and need it a lot more now than we did then.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:32 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We got a full vinyl cover for our california king mattress so yes, it's definitely possible! Of course, the idiot movers cut it open at the last move with scissors so now it's a not a full zipper cover anymore, but...

We ordered a full size one for V's bed as well. I think this is the place I ordered the king one at least:

http://protectivebedding.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:38 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

LisaPunk wrote:
the other night i had this deep desire to just curl up and snuggle her all night and in my head it was this great blissful thing but in reality i got no sleep because i couldnt get comfy.

Pretty much. Honestly, I think if she's happy sleeping in her own space, and you can solve the heat issue/decide she really is warm enough, I'd leave well enough alone. I'm sure you snuggle her lots all day too--enjoy some good sleep in your own bed with Mr. Punk now!

Also, I think IKEA has some large waterproof fitted sheets. At least over here they do, although I also think the mattress dimensions are slightly different.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think making sure you are bringing her to you (instead of contorting yourself to her) can help with pain.

When we co-sleep I'm usually on my back or on my side. When she was little I was on my side and she was to. You mention she won't sleep on her side....maybe that's a blessing? Babynut would pretty much only go to sleep with a nipple in her mouth. Maybe you and babypunk can nurse, unlatch to lay flat on back, and then fall asleep. If she gets used to going to sleep without it, it may be easier later on to get her to sleep without nursing.

But I'm still nursing a 21 month old to sleep so what do I know about that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:42 pm 
Semen Strong

Butternut wrote:
But I'm still nursing a 21 month old to sleep so what do I know about that?

Heh. This makes me feel so much better about nursing a nearly 23 month old to sleep.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2