| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Logistics And safety of cosleeping
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

W have been cosleeping. W started with a baby tray thing that went between Nate and I, I think it is called a snuggle nest, but every time grey would finish eating and I would put him back in he would wake up. I started just snuggling him in my arms and he and I both sleep better. I have also been breastfeeding on my side, so that helps me get a little more sleep. I agree with the others, I am not worried about rolling over on him. When he gets more mobile we will have to re evaluate the bed setup.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:06 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

hey everybody. ive got a few really basic questions.
we've never really coslept because of BabyPunk's size, i never felt it was safe.
now that she's older and bigger id like to have the option of cosleeping on nights where i just cant get her to sleep in the cosleeper.
so here are my issues:

for when your babies were young and smallish where did they physically sleep? sounds like for the most part either on top of you or in the crook of an arm. ive fallen asleep taht way several times (so i guess technically we have coslept) but here is my MAJOR issue. it is SUPER painful for me to sleep like that. my back and hips are forked up more than usual lately. i dont know if it's leftover bad mojo from pregnancy/delivery or if im just forked up but sleeping on my back for long periods of time, especially with something on top of me is wicked uncomfortable.
ive tried to move her to the crook of my arm and sort of roll over onto my side but i cant get enough onto my side to be comfy.
it would be ideal for her to sleep on her back in between my husband and i but i cant seem to get that to happen yet. maybe when she's older? she also wont sleep if i turn her a little so she's on her side a bit.

a couple times i have managed to lay on my side sort of with my body curled around her but her face ends up really close to my boobs and frankly im worried about boob suffocation (lol but seriously i am).

the other night i had this deep desire to just curl up and snuggle her all night and in my head it was this great blissful thing but in reality i got no sleep because i couldnt get comfy. i was trying to keep her in a good sleep position but also on top of an extra cloth prefold i had under her to add another layer of pee protection but after awhile even thugh i was on my side my hip started to hurt and i remembered i have to change positions 100 times a night or else im in pain (fun!)

maybe until i get my back/hip pain issues sorted cosleeping isnt for us?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:09 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh i forgot one thing.
one of the reasons im more intersted NOW is that it's getting colder here. i can dress her up warm and i put blankies on her up to her arm pits but she sleeps with her arms out or up and everytime i pick her up her ears and her hands are ice cubes.
i cant cover her hands with the blankies cause either they are above her head or if she feels them in her hand she wnats to play ith them and flail around and go crazy with them

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:28 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

We bedshared from day one (Sven was 8 lbs 9 oz at birth so bigger than BabyPunk for sure!). I had a co-sleeper attached to the bed that we basically only used as a bed rail and I switched sides to nurse throughout the night. I think I would sleep mostly on my side with my arm either touching him or lightly draped around him. I honestly don't remember being very comfortable during that time, but we had the worst mattress in the world at the time so it may not have been the co-sleeping but the total lack of proper support for my body. I still kept a pillow between my knees when I slept too. I did do a lot of side-lying nursing in bed and I felt like I was at the chiropractor all the time getting my hips fixed up. When he was older and rolling/crawling around in the bed on his own, it was a LOT easier for to sleep comfortably since I wasn't paranoid anymore and he could get himself comfy independent of me.

If you guys go for it, one thing we did that worked out really well was have separate blankets for Sven/me and my husband. I was always worried one of us would shift and if Sven was in the middle the blanket would go up over his head. We sleep in a king and each had our own twin-sized bedding and it worked out great. We didn't use a top sheet either, just blankets and duvets. For pee protection we would just put a few large towels under the sheet in the center of the bed. Otherwise I'd go nuts trying to keep him on a towel or keep myself from bunching it up.

Another thing to think about, since you mentioned that she is sleeping pretty long hours lately, is that she might wake up to eat more frequently if you are conveniently located next to her all the time!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:36 am 
***LIES!!!***

When Malka was a newborn, she slept on a very rigid piece of foam (like a crib mattress, but pillow sized) between us and nearer to the top of the bed than our heads were. I felt like there was no risk of rolling on her or boob suffocation like that. Our mattress then was kind of soft and lumpy with a big depression in the middle, so I did worry about putting her directly on the mattress. Some nights she just slept on top of me if she wouldn't stay asleep on her mini mattress. I sometimes wore her in the moby wrap and slept like that, i felt more secure that she wouldnt roll off me into a bad place that way. I also cant really sleep on my back, so when she was on top of me i slept on a bunch of stacked pillows semi reclined because that was the only way i could fall asleep. She almost always refused to sleep in the cosleeper. We are now basically back to 100% cosleeping after a period of having her sleep in her own bed at least part of the night (she seems to be afraid to be alone these days, and possibly afraid of the dark, ugh), but now she is more of a danger to us than the other way around!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:39 am 
***LIES!!!***

LisaPunk wrote:
oh i forgot one thing.
one of the reasons im more intersted NOW is that it's getting colder here. i can dress her up warm and i put blankies on her up to her arm pits but she sleeps with her arms out or up and everytime i pick her up her ears and her hands are ice cubes.
i cant cover her hands with the blankies cause either they are above her head or if she feels them in her hand she wnats to play ith them and flail around and go crazy with them

Does she seem uncomfortable? Is she waking up from the cold? If not, it may not be a big deal. Malka seems to prefer sleeping in a cold room, just like my husband does. And if her core temperature is taken care of with warm clothing, having chilly ears is not such a big deal unless it is uncomfortable. If you are really worried, she can wear a hat to bed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the towels under the sheets sounds like a really great idea because that's one of the things im most concerned about. we have a nice mattress. i dont mind having to wash sheets but i dont want a pee mattress. do they even make king sized waterproof mattress covers? the towels will be good because like you said about stuff getting scrunched up i keep having issues keeping the prefold where i want it and her butt ON it.

the different blankets is a good idea too. when it was cold out my arms were freezing but i didnt want to pull the sheet up too far on her.

as far as her being cold she doesnt seem uncomfortable or waking up because of it. her core temp is definitely nice and toasty it's just the ears and hands. i know i can put a hat on her but her hands are iced cubes. we never bought any baby mittens and i feel like almost 5 months is too old for them. i just feel like the worst mom ever when i wake up and she has ice cube hands but i guess it's not really a big deal if SHE is warm.
we dont like to turn the heat up very high in the winter because our furnace runs on oil and that is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
maybe i can get her integrated into the bed by the time it's really cold out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Never too late to try mittens!

We also bought some super absorbent pee pads to put under the fitted sheet or on her foam pad. Towels are good, they just take up more space in the wash than pee pads. We still use a water resistant cover under the mattress, too, and need it a lot more now than we did then.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:32 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We got a full vinyl cover for our california king mattress so yes, it's definitely possible! Of course, the idiot movers cut it open at the last move with scissors so now it's a not a full zipper cover anymore, but...

We ordered a full size one for V's bed as well. I think this is the place I ordered the king one at least:

http://protectivebedding.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

LisaPunk wrote:
the other night i had this deep desire to just curl up and snuggle her all night and in my head it was this great blissful thing but in reality i got no sleep because i couldnt get comfy.

Pretty much. Honestly, I think if she's happy sleeping in her own space, and you can solve the heat issue/decide she really is warm enough, I'd leave well enough alone. I'm sure you snuggle her lots all day too--enjoy some good sleep in your own bed with Mr. Punk now!

Also, I think IKEA has some large waterproof fitted sheets. At least over here they do, although I also think the mattress dimensions are slightly different.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:25 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I think making sure you are bringing her to you (instead of contorting yourself to her) can help with pain.

When we co-sleep I'm usually on my back or on my side. When she was little I was on my side and she was to. You mention she won't sleep on her side....maybe that's a blessing? Babynut would pretty much only go to sleep with a nipple in her mouth. Maybe you and babypunk can nurse, unlatch to lay flat on back, and then fall asleep. If she gets used to going to sleep without it, it may be easier later on to get her to sleep without nursing.

But I'm still nursing a 21 month old to sleep so what do I know about that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:42 pm 
Semen Strong

Butternut wrote:
But I'm still nursing a 21 month old to sleep so what do I know about that?

Heh. This makes me feel so much better about nursing a nearly 23 month old to sleep.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:44 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

for those of you who coslept and also had your mobile toddler nap in your bed how did you deal with safety issues regarding them crawling/climbing/falling off the side of the bed?

for the longest time even though she was physically able and had done it before if BP ended up on her back (how she normally slept) she was basically a turtle so i could leave her for a nap on the bed and not worry that she would fall off the bed before i heard her making noise. she wouldnt roll over. she seemed to have forgotten it was an option.

she is no longer a turtle and has discovered the joy of pushing herself up to sit and then crawling all over the bed. we still have our cosleeper attached to my side of the bed though she hasnt slept in it sicne she was 7 months old. i was using it as a storage area for pillows and books and assurance that on the random chance she did roll it would be into the cosleeper.

well she has decided the cosleeper is great for climbing.

we dont have a baby monitor because our house is small and i can hear her when she wakes up but the other day i heard her making a little noise so i went down the hall and found her sitting up in the cosleeper. so she had woken up in the bed, rolled over, crawled into the cosleeper, etc before i got there. our bed is very tall so im worried about her falling off.

putting the mattress on the floor just isnt an option for us.

do those toddler bed rails fit on king sized beds? are they easy to get on/off? i would imagine my husband wouldnt want them on his side at night but i could use them for naps. then i would just have to worry about the foot of the bed.

there is no way in 9 hells i could ever get her to sleep in her crib.

the only other option we seem to have is her crib converts to a toddler bed but my husband says we need to buy more pieces that go with it and a new mattress so not sure how expensive all that is. i could *maybe* get her to nap in her own bed........maybe.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:25 am 
Naked Under Apron

Lisa, I know this is not a great help for keeping Charlotte in the bed but I think maybe you should teach her how to climb down from the bed (in our case it started with the couch) properly! Like show her to turn her back and slide down carefully. Maybe put some cushy mats next to the side she can get down from? I know it's scary to have her be mobile but if she's gonna explore anyway, you may as well teach her to do it safely.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:31 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah our bed is really tall though. hmmm.
my husband suggested putting her crib mattress on the floor of the nursery for naps. that might be our first step.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:56 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

LisaPunk wrote:
yeah our bed is really tall though. hmmm.
my husband suggested putting her crib mattress on the floor of the nursery for naps. that might be our first step.

That was also my suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:34 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

At that point we made it easy on ourselves and put our mattress on the floor. We also taught Sven to turn around and get down, though we had to put pillows around the edge of the bed for a while. I also used a video monitor and kept an eye on him and tried to go in right as he was waking up (after he could reliably get off the bed I stopped needing to be quite to vigilant).

If you don't want to put your mattress down, though, I like the suggestions of putting her crib mattress on the floor Montessori-style.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:49 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i took her mattress out of her crib and put it on the floor. i think that will be my go to for naps for now. our first attempt at our new nap location went just about as well as planned as in it didnt but i figured it would be a process.

it would be easier if she wasnt such a terrible sleeper to begin with

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:51 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

why is a mattress on the floor considered a Montessori thing? i dont know anything about Montessori other than they have Montessori schools. i tried googling Montessori nap and i got a super long article about circadian rhythms and blah blah blah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:25 pm 
***LIES!!!***

It's because Montessori promotes self-sufficiency and freedom of access (so kid can get in/out of bed easily on their own).

We also just taught Malka how to climb down when it seemed she was likely to crawl off. It was enough to at least get her not to crawl off, even though she would often be too afraid to climb down (also have a very tall bed) and would whimper till someone came.

Does she have her own room? If so, could you get rid of the crib and put in a real bed for her (floor or low to the ground)?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ahh so montessori probably isnt a fan of baby jail then huh? ;-)

she does have her own room but we've never really used it.
we took the crib mattress and put it on the floor. im going to attempt to use it for naps. im guessing this transition will not be easy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I could never get my son to sleep in his crib once he got used to my bed. The crib mattress was just too soft. We have a low bed, so I wasn't as worried about him falling out, but obviously it's not really safe at any height.

When he was 14 months old we bought him a twin mattress and put it on the floor of his room, and transitioned him to that. It was a big enough mattress that I could still lay with him and snuggle him to sleep. And for the first couple of months I would end up back in his bed in the middle of the night too. But it made the transition from co-sleeping to him in his room really gentle and easy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:53 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think that is my general plan. i dont mind her in the bed right now as i dont think she will sleep by herself at night yet but i think i can convince her to sleep in there for a nap so it will be easier when we do move her in there at night.

im gonna try and teach her how to climb down from the couch. the bed is really tall so she cant actually climb off it without falling at least part way. my issue right now is i dont think she understands if she keeps going she will fall. not sure she's grasped the danger concept yet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so our first try of getting her to nap in the nursery was fail as expected then we had several random days where she napped in her carseat so today was our actual 2nd attempt of nursery sleeping (mattress on floor) and after some crazy acrobatics on my part i got her to sleep for 2 hours on her mattress on the floor which was a HUGE WIN in my eyes!

lately she's been hard to get to sleep as always but once asleep usually will take a good nap. i was afraid she would wake up and instead of settling back to sleep she would be all jazzed up about being in a different place but she slept for 2 hours. not sure if she woke up at all and fell back to sleep but almost exactly 2 hours after she fell asleep i heard her making grumpy noises and found her in the hallway which is exactly why i didnt want her on the bed anymore

SUCCESS

this is where i found her. i wish i captured the look of DEATH she gave me but i wasnt quick enough
OH HAI naptime is over!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:06 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Win for Mama! I wish you many more successes!