| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
 Post subject: Re: conceivin' thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:30 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

AlwaysHungry wrote:
I wonder if vitex is safe in pregnancy.

You're not supposed to take it once you get pregnant. It can affect hormone levels: http://nccam.nih.gov/health/chasteberry

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:46 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll wait till my period begins before I start taking it.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:35 pm 
Tofu Pup

It looks like this thread has gone a bit dormant, but I'll throw my hat in the ring... my husband and I have been TTC for over a year now. We're about the same age - I'm 35 (turning 36 this year.) Mr. Olympic went to a urologist last week who confirmed a physiological issue to conception - essentially his sperm counts, motility, mobility etc look good; there's just a barrier preventing exit - that could be resolvable with a very low-cost medication that requires him to abstain for three to five days.

Probably way, way TMI explanation:
Spoiler: show
He was diagnosed with retrograde ejaculation - essentially the fluid goes into his bladder instead of exiting.

So, we'll know at the end of the month if the medication will allow us to (more or less) naturally conceive, or if we have to do something else involving harvesting the sperm, "washing" it, and doing IUI. His urologist says that if it's the latter, I'll likely need to go on Clomid increase our chances of conception. So, now I need to find an OB/GYN, which is probably something I should do anyway. Clomid kind of freaks me out though.

Our insurance of course only covers infertility diagnosis, not treatment, so we have no idea how much some of this stuff will cost. We've also been discussing adoption (some of our good friends recently went through the adoption process, an open adoption with a pregnant mother; they were at the hospital when the baby was born), so we also have to think about at what financial point we need to really consider adoption our only option. (Don't get me wrong; we would love an adopted baby as much as our own, it's just a different option...) Adoption, of course, is quite expensive, but apparently it's also tax-deductible to a greater degree than reproductive technology or infertility treatment (god, I feel like we're "bargain shopping" for a baby.)

And just to make life exciting, usually my periods are very regular (to the point where even my husband knows what time of month they'll be), but last month I had my period a week earlier than usual. Very strange. In any case, it's been quite a roller coaster in terms of the possibility of having a biological baby. We'll know more in a few weeks, fingers crossed...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:43 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Good Luck Olympic! I hope things work out for you and your husband. The waiting is so painful and emotional. Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:57 am 
Tofu Pup

Thanks lilbear. It is nerve-wracking, and of course it means that I need to do all I can to make it easier to conceive. I think the illusion of control is the hardest part...

Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36