| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: conceivin' thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

AlwaysHungry wrote:
I can't believe I am participating in this thread... I feel like Mr. AlwaysHungry and I have been delaying TTC and waiting for "the right time" for so long, it's like it's not even real. We've been together 9 years, married almost 5 years, and we've been living our lives per deadlines and milestones for all this time (ie: wait for me to graduate, get him into a full-time permanent job, sell tiny apartment, look for a house, buy a house, move in, get settled, get me through my ICU nursing course, get settled in new job, yadda yadda). And for the longest time I felt like it wasn't safe to talk about it with him because there was "no point in thinking about it until (insert life-stage goal here)." Then out of nowhere he asks me "so when do you want to start trying to make a baby?" and I said "now" and he said "okay."
I already feel like getting pregnant is all I can think about. I told Mr.AH that I didn't want to actively "try," rather I wanted to just do without condoms, enjoy our sex life, and let Mother Nature do the rest. But it's like I can't help myself... I bought a copy of TCOYF today and I plan on pouncing him the moment he gets home from work tonight, if nothing else than for baby gravy.

*sigh* Please tell me I'll get over this.

I was kind of the same way -- Mr. Crabby and I were married for 8 years before we started trying for a baby (that was partly because I wanted to wait until I was 30). I also wasn't going to actively try and then went and looked up the best times to try in one's cycle on-line. We had sex 3 times that month (days 11, 14, and 17 of the cycle, I think...I had the egg-white cervical fluid) and I got knocked up with Beetroot! It took a lot more tries for Raygold and we're still trying for #3. I haven't had a period in over 2 years, although Raygold is sleeping much much better and nursing much much less very suddenly, so hopefully, that's enough to get my cycle started again -- we're doing the sex every few days just in case I'm fertile, although I think my husband is kind of tired of having to put out so often.

This would totally be TMI in any other thread. ;D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:35 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

AlwaysHungry, I can so relate. I'm in such a similar position - we've been waiting for the "right" time, and now that it's here I'm over the moon excited, but also suddenly kind of obsessed. My husband and I both feel so ready to be parents. Fingers crossed for everyone that we aren't waiting too long!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:53 am 
Married to the wolfman

I was ready (mentally) to TTC a couple of years before my husband was. So when it came time to actually do it, I found that I went pretty quickly from "laid back and relaxed about this" to "kinda crazy with regard to it." By the time we'd gone 6 cycles without a pregnancy, we were full out "trying" rather than "whatevering" and it was pretty central to my day to day thoughts. I didn't get over it, it just got worse until I got pregnant. Sorry, but some people are nuts like that!

It ended up taking us 13 cycles to make the Emperor, which is a tiny, tiny drop in the bucket compared to the amount of time/effort it takes some people to get pregnant. I wish I had realized that going into it-- that there is no reason to think you'll get pregnant right away, even if you are otherwise reproductively healthy etc-- as I think it would have saved me a lot of stress and heartache.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:36 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm kindof worried that there should be something to worry about. I'm 32 on Monday, not OLD I know, but I realize these things don't get easier with age. I'm a generally healthy energetic person, allthough I'm not in the best shape... I've put on 30 pounds in the past year since I stopped working out. I'm working on that now though.

I started reading TCOYF yesterday. I'm concerned about Mr.AlwaysHungry seeing me reading it; I'm worried he'll think I'm already nuts about getting pregnant.

Hey, can anyone reccomend a good iPhone App for FAM fertility tracking?

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:58 am 
Not NOT A Furry

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
I was kind of the same way -- Mr. Crabby and I were married for 8 years before we started trying for a baby (that was partly because I wanted to wait until I was 30). I also wasn't going to actively try and then went and looked up the best times to try in one's cycle on-line. We had sex 3 times that month (days 11, 14, and 17 of the cycle, I think...I had the egg-white cervical fluid) and I got knocked up with Beetroot! It took a lot more tries for Raygold and we're still trying for #3. I haven't had a period in over 2 years, although Raygold is sleeping much much better and nursing much much less very suddenly, so hopefully, that's enough to get my cycle started again -- we're doing the sex every few days just in case I'm fertile, although I think my husband is kind of tired of having to put out so often.

Hee hee... your poor husband! Did you ever expect him to tire of chess?

I hope Mr.AH and I have the same luck as you did with Beetroot.

Quote:
This would totally be TMI in any other thread. ;D

This is one of the reasons I love being a woman and talking with other women... frank talk about sex, cycles, and bodily fluids... it's enough to make any man shudder. ;-)

annamal wrote:
AlwaysHungry, I can so relate. I'm in such a similar position - we've been waiting for the "right" time, and now that it's here I'm over the moon excited, but also suddenly kind of obsessed. My husband and I both feel so ready to be parents. Fingers crossed for everyone that we aren't waiting too long!

I hope the fertility gods agree that we've both waited long enough!

coldandsleepy wrote:
I was ready (mentally) to TTC a couple of years before my husband was. So when it came time to actually do it, I found that I went pretty quickly from "laid back and relaxed about this" to "kinda crazy with regard to it." By the time we'd gone 6 cycles without a pregnancy, we were full out "trying" rather than "whatevering" and it was pretty central to my day to day thoughts. I didn't get over it, it just got worse until I got pregnant. Sorry, but some people are nuts like that!

It ended up taking us 13 cycles to make the Emperor, which is a tiny, tiny drop in the bucket compared to the amount of time/effort it takes some people to get pregnant. I wish I had realized that going into it-- that there is no reason to think you'll get pregnant right away, even if you are otherwise reproductively healthy etc-- as I think it would have saved me a lot of stress and heartache.

Yeah, I hear you... as much as I want to be "whatever" about it, there's this part of me that's ready to outfit and decorate a baby room. *sigh* I have a feeling my insanity will exaccerbate for a short while before I inevitably calm down about it (Christmas will distract me), then again peak if we've been sexin' sans rubbers for a few months without falling pregnant.

And yeah, intellectually I know that it could take a year or more. I guess I worry that it'll be a year of trying only to find out that we waited too long to start and by then I'm 33 and our chances are even slimmer.

I think I'd be calmer about it this week if my body were carrying on like normal... I'm 8 days late getting my period now, negative pregnancy test last Wednesday and I'm feeling otherwise normal now... I'd like to know what the heck is going on. Grrr.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:33 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Sorry to say I don't have much advice AlwaysHungry BUT: don't worry about what your husband thinks about you reading the book. After all, he's the one who most recently brought it up. And try to worry less about your age - I had my first baby at 33, and am now at 35 and expecting another baby in May. I was worried about being older too, but it's not that big a deal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:41 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

AlwaysHungry - Welcome to my world! I've been ready for the last few years, but agreed to wait until we had some money saved, and I had tenure in my school district. Now that we are trying, I am (some what embarrassed to admit this) pretty well obsessed. My sister and sister-in-law both were pregnant their first months of trying so I for some reason thought I would be too. Now that my body is not cooperating with this ridiculous expectation, I'm trying not to panic that I have some terrible issue that will never be resolved. I turned 30 this year which is still plenty of time, but I had originally wanted 4 kids, so don't think that will be possible anymore if I have trouble conceiving. I'm so crazy that I totally had researched doctors, hospitals, nursery themes, got my MMR titer and re-vaccine, and everything else that I felt I needed to check off my list before trying. Yes, I'm *that* person. I even haven't wanted to buy new clothes in the hopes that they wouldn't be worth the money if I got pregnant. Okay perhaps now I've shared too much of my craziness...<insert crickets chirping> On happier news my temp went up today - day 72 of my cycle. Crossing my fingers that it isn't a fluke. Of course this week I had given up on my body, so no appropriate timed chess playing, but oh well-hopefully it means my body is not terribly broken after all.

- I find fertility friend's mobile site to be easy to use via cell phone. I tried their app at one point, but it never seemed to sync to the website without wanting to delete what was already there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

There's an app for Android (and I'm assuming iPhone too) that I liked, called PinkPad. It's great for tracking temps, fluid, etc. but you can also add in symptoms you're feeling, notes, diet comments, etc.

@alwayshungry: You could always say to hubby if he seems freaked, that you're just planning ahead. Taking prenatal vitamins, losing/gaining weight, getting used to your cycles..there's a lot to do before you even get to the sperm meeting the egg. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Audrey wrote:
Sorry to say I don't have much advice AlwaysHungry BUT: don't worry about what your husband thinks about you reading the book. After all, he's the one who most recently brought it up. And try to worry less about your age - I had my first baby at 33, and am now at 35 and expecting another baby in May. I was worried about being older too, but it's not that big a deal.

Thanks. I think you're probably right about the book... he'll see it, he'll ask what's up, and I'll tell him truthfully I'm trying to learn what I can to be as prepared as I can and be healthy and ready for pregnancy.

And yeah you're right... I'm not too old. My cousin had her first at 32, the next at 35, and she had healthy pregnancies and has 2 happy little boys.
chiveggie wrote:
AlwaysHungry - Welcome to my world! I've been ready for the last few years, but agreed to wait until we had some money saved, and I had tenure in my school district. Now that we are trying, I am (some what embarrassed to admit this) pretty well obsessed. My sister and sister-in-law both were pregnant their first months of trying so I for some reason thought I would be too. Now that my body is not cooperating with this ridiculous expectation, I'm trying not to panic that I have some terrible issue that will never be resolved. I turned 30 this year which is still plenty of time, but I had originally wanted 4 kids, so don't think that will be possible anymore if I have trouble conceiving. I'm so crazy that I totally had researched doctors, hospitals, nursery themes, got my MMR titer and re-vaccine, and everything else that I felt I needed to check off my list before trying. Yes, I'm *that* person. I even haven't wanted to buy new clothes in the hopes that they wouldn't be worth the money if I got pregnant. Okay perhaps now I've shared too much of my craziness...<insert crickets chirping>

This = awesome. You're excited, and I think that's awesome. Today I'm researching sewing patterns for cloth diapers and nursing covers... I'm SO GLAD I'm not alone.

I understand it's a challenge not to worry about all the possible "what ifs." ...I think it's ground-work for motherhood, actually. How long have you been trying?
refinnej wrote:
There's an app for Android (and I'm assuming iPhone too) that I liked, called PinkPad. It's great for tracking temps, fluid, etc. but you can also add in symptoms you're feeling, notes, diet comments, etc.

@alwayshungry: You could always say to hubby if he seems freaked, that you're just planning ahead. Taking prenatal vitamins, losing/gaining weight, getting used to your cycles..there's a lot to do before you even get to the sperm meeting the egg. :)

Oooh, I have PinkPad... good to know it's good for what I need. I haven't gotten far into TCOYF, but I'm assuming FAM is the rational for checking and recording temps... speaking of which, I was JUST at a pharmacy, why didn't I remember to pick up a thermometer???? GAH!

So, scant spotting today, but no full-on cramps... hopefully I'll get my period tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:31 am 
Not NOT A Furry

***TMI alert***

OK guys I need help, cuz I'm not that far into the book yet... scant spotting on Friday, very light spotting Saturday, full-on heavy-flow period today.
What day do I count as day 1?

Also, when will I need the thermometer?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:44 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I would look it up in the book, but you can note on your chart an asterisk for spotting. I can't remember if that counts as the end of the last cycle, so I would look at some of the example charts in the book and take it from there.

As far as a thermometer, they are easy to find in the family planning section of the drugstore. I prefer the digital ones that save your last temp. That way if you take it really early, you don't have to write it down until later.

I would start taking temps as soon as possible. It took me a week or two to get into the routine of it. At first I would never remember to do it in my sleepy state. Another problem is what to do if you have to get up for some reason (bathroom, cat jumps on your head, etc.) and you don't know what to do. For me, the best thing was to take the temp even if it was an hour or two before my regular get up time.

Also, I found fertility friend to be easy to use as a back up to my hand notes. It was fun to look at other people's charts.

I know somewhere above in this thread it was discussed that pregnancy might not happen for a long while, and to go into it prepared for that. I completely agree, but you can't assume that it won't happen right away either (unless you have a known issue). I thought it was going to be this year or so long ordeal and I was not prepared for it happening right away. It was a shock to me to get pregnant the first cycle I charted to conceive (I had charted years before to prevent pregnancy). It's hard, but you have to be prepared for anything! Really the whole conceiving and pregnancy process is a series of so many new things to worry about.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:46 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

AlwaysHungry wrote:
***TMI alert***

OK guys I need help, cuz I'm not that far into the book yet... scant spotting on Friday, very light spotting Saturday, full-on heavy-flow period today.
What day do I count as day 1?

Day one is the first day of red bleeding. Spotting is usually brown and doesn't count as the beginning of menstrual flow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

About the acting like a crazy obsessed woman...I was completely taken by surprise how actually insane I became in only two months. I went from saying "we will not even really try, just not prevent" to only one month later charting CM, temperatures using an ovulation predictor kit and throwing myself at my husband on likely days...we conceived on the second cycle so I can only imagine the insanity that would have come next. I tried to keep the insane on the down-low but it is really hard. I suggest coming on this board and letting all the insanity out so you you don't freak out your SO!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:16 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

annasrobbie wrote:
About the acting like a crazy obsessed woman...I was completely taken by surprise how actually insane I became in only two months. I went from saying "we will not even really try, just not prevent" to only one month later charting CM, temperatures using an ovulation predictor kit and throwing myself at my husband on likely days...we conceived on the second cycle so I can only imagine the insanity that would have come next. I tried to keep the insane on the down-low but it is really hard. I suggest coming on this board and letting all the insanity out so you you don't freak out your SO!

I know! This is me too! I just started trying, and am completely pregnancy obsessed. In order to psych myself into chilling out, I've started to plan things into the future as if it will take me a year to conceive (for no rational reason, other than not getting my hopes up). And now that I've basically convinced myself that it will take a year, I am feeling a little mopey about that! Haha. I just can't win.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:07 am 
Not NOT A Furry

annasrobbie wrote:

Exactly my plan. You guys are gonna hear a LOT of nothing special from me in the coming months. Consider yourselves fairly warned. In all honesty though, I'm pretty calm about it all this week... I think it's cuz I was just on the rag, it's like hitting the reset button. What I AM excited about is charting; I'm very interested to start recognizing patterns in my cycle that I'm learning about in TCOYF.

Short period this cycle - that was a nice birthday gift! I'm reading one chapter of TCOYF every other day, and MAN I had NO IDEA how little I knew about my cycle until now. I haven't got my hands on a thermometer yet, but I'll be at the pharmacy later today so I can start checking temps in the morning starting tomorrow.

Speaking of which... I told Mr.AH about the book, and he was "meh" about, which is awesome. He didn't freak out.

Gotta go.... getting ready for work!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:13 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

annamal wrote:
Has anyone here had a copper (non-hormonal) IUD removed and then experienced a change in cycle length? I was like clockwork the whole time I had the IUD. I had it removed mid-cycle last month, and now my period is nowhere to be seen, several days after I'm due. (And failed a preg test.) I can't find any information about this on the internets. Help?

I wanted to respond to this because I did! I was very regular the whole time I had my Paragard IUD (about 4 years) and after removal my cycle length regulated at ~35 days after a few months. I would give in a few months to try to regulate before assuming this will be the case, though. However, once I started charting my BBT (using Fertility Friend) I discovered that I was actually ovulating a week late (at day 21), so we were totally off on when to concentrate our attempts to conceive. After figuring that out I we managed to conceive the next cycle!

To add to the thread otherwise, we got really hyper-serious about conceiving once we decided to do it, so both my husband and I went to a reproductive acupuncture specialist (me weekly and him bi-weekly). I also really liked the book "The Way of the Fertile Soul," which is mostly about Chinese medicine in how it relates to infertility, which I didn't struggle with, but it really did help me overcome a lot of mental apprehension in regard to fertility and having a baby (neither of us had ever wanted kids our whole lives so I needed some work changing my attitude toward my body and it's reproductive potential).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I got my thermometer! But I have a question about taking waking temps... I work a 50/50 split of 12-hour day and night shifts, and for day shifts I wake-up at 5am, but when I work nights I go to bed after work at 9am and wake-up anywhere from 2pm to 5pm... Would a waking temp in the afternoon ( a total of 7 days each month) be clinically valid?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

OK, nevermind, I just read about that circumstance in TCOYF.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:46 pm 

AlwaysHungry wrote:
I got my thermometer! But I have a question about taking waking temps... I work a 50/50 split of 12-hour day and night shifts, and for day shifts I wake-up at 5am, but when I work nights I go to bed after work at 9am and wake-up anywhere from 2pm to 5pm... Would a waking temp in the afternoon ( a total of 7 days each month) be clinically valid?

From what I was told, it is more important to take your BBT immediately upon waking, no matter when you wake, than to take it at exactly the same time every day (though I suppose that is ideal, but I wasn't consistent as to the time I took it and still had a pretty consistent chart). I would note it on your chart if you are taking it at a drastically different time, though, just to see if it makes any difference after you've had time to establish a pattern.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

mandycoot wrote:
annamal wrote:
Has anyone here had a copper (non-hormonal) IUD removed and then experienced a change in cycle length? I was like clockwork the whole time I had the IUD. I had it removed mid-cycle last month, and now my period is nowhere to be seen, several days after I'm due. (And failed a preg test.) I can't find any information about this on the internets. Help?

I wanted to respond to this because I did! I was very regular the whole time I had my Paragard IUD (about 4 years) and after removal my cycle length regulated at ~35 days after a few months. I would give in a few months to try to regulate before assuming this will be the case, though. However, once I started charting my BBT (using Fertility Friend) I discovered that I was actually ovulating a week late (at day 21), so we were totally off on when to concentrate our attempts to conceive. After figuring that out I we managed to conceive the next cycle!

Thank you! It is reassuring to hear that this happened to someone else too. My cycle length increased by a few days last month, and I'm still waiting to see what will happen this month. It's strange that there's no information about this phenomenon!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Bumpity bump!

Anyone got a new bump?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:03 am 

my cycle was normal this month, but our finances went kablooey on us (my car needs major work, the boy has been ill, and all the deposits from our old home are taking their sweet time), so i haven't gotten to a doctor yet. I turned 38 just over a week ago and i am really feeling it, i worry putting our possible child as higher risk for all kinds of things every year we wait. Considering it took so long for number 1, i worry it will be 2 to 3 years more before we have number 2. I want my paraguard out, but i wont be able to afford the $20 copay for a doc appt until jan, so i guess i should be happy i'm not pregnant, right?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:22 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm expecting my period on the 8th. There is the tiniest of possibilities that I'm pregnant, although I doubt it, as we had sex ONCE this cycle (too busy/tired/couldn't be bothered/weren't really trying to conceive), and it was early. How's that for an over-share?

In any case, I'm thinking of resuming the old "trying to get pregnant" game this next cycle, but that means before more dedicated to things like taking my vitamins and not drinking alcohol and cutting down on caffeine...and then that awful two-week wait. So, I don't know.

Rob and I were going to wait until spring to start REALLY trying again, SERIOUSLY. But it took so long to get pregnant the second time around, I don't want to put off trying to conceive for four months only to have to ride the pregnancy rollercoaster for another six months after that...

I guess if I felt like getting pregnant could work like it did the first time (IUD out, pregnant six weeks later), I'd feel different about the whole thing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

First ever cycle of charting and first ever cycle of TTC update: *TMI alert!*

It's been interesting... my temp is 97.0 F nearly every single morning. Hopefully I'll notice the shift post ovulation. I seldom remember to check and chart my CF and I can't really figure it out yet (and I'm unfamiliar with the consistency of rubber cement), but today is cycle day 15 and it's unmistakeably eggwhite this morning.

I'm not getting too far in TCOYF, but reading a chapter here and there every few days. I'm amazed how much I didn't know about my own reproductive cycle until now. And I'm amazed at how much I notice about my body now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:08 pm 
And you never will.

Well, I just got my 4th period since it came back post baby, and it seems I'm on a 6ish week cycle. I got frustrated trying to chart my temp and CF because of the inconsistency due to the PCOS, so I'm taking a break from that. I don't really know if I'm ovulating at all. I really hate this feeling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 36  Next