| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: conceivin' thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:08 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

thanks ladies. it is nice (and scary/gross/exciting/etc) to see you others go through it so I know what to expect when I get there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:37 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Is anybody still on this thread...it seems most of the "trying to conceive" peoples are now on the pregnancy thread, so maybe it is good luck to post on here ;) This is the first month that we are actively trying and I am all atwitter. I know that it will probably take months and months but it could happen this month right?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:31 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Good luck anna! I don't know how many folks there are still trying, but lots of read this thread and will offer you good wishes! The first month is scary, but try and relax and much as you can. All the guidebooks, midwives, etc. say that the less stressed/anxious you become, the better. Plus, the longer the journey to pregnancy takes, the more fun you can have in the meantime. Hubba hubba.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:22 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

annasrobbie wrote:
Is anybody still on this thread...it seems most of the "trying to conceive" peoples are now on the pregnancy thread, so maybe it is good luck to post on here ;) This is the first month that we are actively trying and I am all atwitter. I know that it will probably take months and months but it could happen this month right?

I knew the same thing... and got pregnant the first month we tried! I had been charting though so we had a lot of very well timed sex. :D Good luck and have fun!

ETA: This may also have something to do with family history-- my mom got pregnant at the drop of a hat. She always has said we'd have LOTS more siblings if BC pills didn't exist.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:33 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I am resisting temptation to hope, because my period is almost 6 days late. Then again, I had a really weird thing last month where I had my period on the 10th for about a day and a half, which is normal - but then, it came back on the 14th for a day! I don't recall that ever happening before. Sooo if I count from when I had the "1st" period, I'm pretty late, and not so much if I count from the 2nd one.

It's so hard to not talk about it haha. Last night my sweet boyfriend brought up the subject of names because he heard one he liked, and I kinda looked at him and said "hmm maaaaaaybe this is happening" and he was so cute about it and said "I thought that might be the case." Anyway, it's just pretty funny to know that he somehow recognized that it's been just over a month since our last hope, because he never has any clue what the date is or even what day it is (ahh the life of a stay-at-home dad I guess).

And yes, I could and probably should go get a pregnancy test, but I'm psyching myself out this time by pretending it's not happening, if that makes any sense.

also, rabidchild, my mom swears she got pregnant any time my dad looked at her (resulting in 5 kids; after that they decided they hate each other I guess) and has been making all these comments about us needing to try harder and how she never had any problems...I finally told her to shut up because she was done having kids (I was the last) when she was my age exactly and that things may be a little harder since I'm advancing in age.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:51 pm 

Lol @ "try harder"...how exactly does one interpret that, especially coming from your mother?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Audrey wrote:
also, rabidchild, my mom swears she got pregnant any time my dad looked at her (resulting in 5 kids; after that they decided they hate each other I guess) and has been making all these comments about us needing to try harder and how she never had any problems...I finally told her to shut up because she was done having kids (I was the last) when she was my age exactly and that things may be a little harder since I'm advancing in age.

My mom has said the same! She had her 3rd and final at 35 (36?) - the doctor wouldn't let her take the pill any more cause of her age + being a smoker and she was "bad at getting her diaphragm in."

We haven't told my parents yet, we're waiting 'til our first midwife appointment cause my mom is a HUGE worrier, and last time I talked to her she was like "Every time you call I think you'll tell me you're pregnant" and I was like "ehhh hahaha *subject change.*" I mentioned mr. rc had been sick and sleeping in the guest room and she was like "That might be why you're not pregnant." Thanks for the tips, Mom!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:47 pm 

I'm still hanging in here as well. Cycle one didn't work for me, but I'm excited to try again in a few weeks. Both my side of the family and my husband's side of the family have had no problems popping out kids, so I'm hoping we won't have much trouble either. Of course I know that doesn't always correlate, but seems encouraging.

Good luck Anna, and Audrey I know that feeling of it being the only thing you can think about. Without having temps charted or an ovulation test there's even more confusion.

"Try Harder" is an unusual phrase. Most situations you either try or don't try, not many things you can try a little bit or try a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:25 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm stilllllll waitin' for a period...or not! This could be it!
damn I'm supposed to be getting tattooed on Thursday though...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:05 pm 
Married to the wolfman

rabidchild wrote:
Audrey wrote:

My mom has said the same! She had her 3rd and final at 35 (36?) - the doctor wouldn't let her take the pill any more cause of her age + being a smoker and she was "bad at getting her diaphragm in."

My mom, too. I was really sorry that I told her we were TTC with the Emperor, because seriously every time I talked to her during the 13 cycles it took us to get him, she would open the conversation with "are you pregnant yet?!" and then follow up with helpful comments like "maybe you're doing it wrong" and "you need to try harder" and "I never had this problem, I've gotten pregnant every time I've skipped birth control." (She also had her last child at 35.) Thanks mom. I love her but it was the opposite of what I wanted to hear at the time.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:36 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh C&S, that sounds so hard. we didn't even tell anyone we were TTC, and if people would ask, we'd just say we weren't planning on having kids, just because it was hard enough to keep having failed cycles and other people's comments, no matter how well-intentioned, would just have made it harder.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:56 pm 

yeah, I definitely realize that I've said some of those stupid comments to people about when they are going to have kids. I vow to never say things like that again, because you don't know what somebody is going through trying to get pregnant, or if they don't want to have kids.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah, we are keeping it on the down-low also...although I want to talk to everybody about it ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:18 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Sooo...I got a positive pregnancy test last week, on the fourth month of trying after a miscarriage. This was the first month I used OPK's. I think all they did was confuse me, but the confusion led to a lot more sex so technically I guess they worked. I think I am about 5 weeks (although that disagrees with when I got semi-positive OPK's . . . in which case I tested super early and am like 4 weeks). I have been able to just ignore the situation and not freak out much better than I thought I would. Considering my struggles with anxiety, I am very happy about that. I am not feeling like telling anyone in real life anytime soon, so I will tell you anonymous internet people.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

Congrats, Pointy Kitty!

I didn't start a new package of pills when the last one ran out a couple days ago -- we're not TRYING trying until December, but we're not NOT trying. I am making an effort not to get my hopes up that it'll happen quickly, but I'm not sure how good a job I'm doing with that.

I haven't told my mother we're hoping to get preggo -- I feel a bit guilty about keeping it from her, but I know she'd ask way too often and I'd end up just getting stressed and snapping at her. I know she'll be excited, so I'll just wait until I have something to tell her. Two of her pregnancies were, uh, unplanned so hopefully I'm equally fertile! (One of my cousins got pregnant with triplets while on the pill. I hope I'm not quite THAT fertile.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:36 pm 

Congrats Pointy Kitty!

My body is starting to drive me nuts. My body had all the signs of about to ovulate last week, but then I got a few days of heavy spotting/very light period mixed in as well. Still didn't get a temp rise or positive opk test even though this is day 25 since my last full period. Sounds similar to what you went through Audrey. Not sure what's going on. I have a few weeks until an appointment with a new obgyn. Hopefully she will be open to me asking a million questions with charts in hand.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

oh Congratulations Point Kitty! that is so exciting!

My period started -so I guess the first month isn't the charm for us...but maybe this month! :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:05 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I've been MIA, due to both work and vacation, and I haven't seen a dr yet but you guys, I'm pregnant! Almost 8 weeks now. Yippeeee! wish all of you the best of luck.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:18 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Audrey wrote:
I've been MIA, due to both work and vacation, and I haven't seen a dr yet but you guys, I'm pregnant! Almost 8 weeks now. Yippeeee! wish all of you the best of luck.

Yaaaaay! Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:01 pm 
Saggy Butt

Congrats Audrey!

I picked up some ovulation tests super cheap. Any of you use those? Any luck with them or are they just a waste of cash? (Man, they are expensive.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:46 pm 

Yay! Congrats Audrey!

terri...lots of women use them with great success. Be careful if you have any hints of polycystic ovaries though, as you can get loads of false positives then.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:51 pm 
Married to the wolfman

You can buy OPK strips online (really, really cheap; check Amazon) or from the Dollar Tree ($1/per, still cheap). They're just the strip without the plastic casing or anything fancy, but they get the job done at an affordable cost...

I used them when I was trying to get pregnant with the Emperor. Not sure how much they did or didn't help in the process, they lined up very well with my cervical mucus changes so I guess I could've gone with just that-- but don't know if that's common or not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:24 pm 

terri_to wrote:
Congrats Audrey!

I picked up some ovulation tests super cheap. Any of you use those? Any luck with them or are they just a waste of cash? (Man, they are expensive.)

Have you tried charting your cervical fluid and waking temps? It's basically free (you have to buy a thermometer). I have never used ovulation prediction tests, so I don't know how helpful they are. Charting was great for me because I didn't have to waste so much money on pregnancy tests. Those aren't cheap either!

I think both charting and strips are hard to use if your cycle is irregular or super long.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Congratulations Audrey! So happy for you guys!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:09 pm 

Congrats Audrey!!

Finally got a positive OPK test last night on day 28 of my cycle and then Mr. ChiVeggie left for a 3 day work trip this morning. Not so great in the timing department there. We made the most of the short window of opportunity, but I'm not too optimistic. If I do get pregnant, TCOYF leads me to believe it will most likely be a girl due to our timing of things. I'm trying to remind myself that I'll be happy to have a period only every other month once I'm not trying to conceive, but for now, this is rather annoying.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 40  Next