| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: picture books for wee ones recs plz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

BabyPunk has an insatiable appetite for books (yay!)
ive exhausted all the board books i like at the two libraries near us. ive moved onto picture books but the library has crepe tons of them.

any good ones with not tons of words? she loves books but still wont sit for tons of words since she's only 15 months old.

doesnt have to have any special message though we do like ones about kindness, etc.

just dont want to sit at the library and flip through 1000 picture books to find ones we might like.

Post subject: Re: picture books for wee ones recs plz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:45 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I really like this series because dinosaurs are great
http://www.amazon.com/How-Do-Dinosaurs- ... 0439649498

This one is endlessly thrilling for toddlers I've found
http://www.amazon.com/Peek-A-Who-Nina-L ... oard+books

So is this one
http://www.amazon.com/Where-Babys-Belly ... oard+books

Eric Carle is good
http://www.amazon.com/Brown-Bear-What-Y ... oard+books

Good for getting goofy
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Brown-Can-Moo- ... oard+books

A long time ago I reviewed some terrible kid's books at kidsbooksihate.tumblr.com if you want to see some to stay away from! It really, really bothers me when the meter of rhyming books is off.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks for the recommendations! we have the board book version of a few of those though i noticed at story time when they read Mr Brown Can Moo Can You the picture book version is longer than the board book version so had more stuff in it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:14 pm 
Saggy Butt

Sven was just recently allowed to graduate to picture books (meaning he no longer tries to rip out the pages). We haven't explored too many yet, but he is obsessed with "Along a Long Road" by Frank Viva and "This Little Piggy" by Tim Harrington (of Les Savy Fav fame).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Giles has loved loved loved Baby Einstein Baby Noah's World Animals book. I don't see what is fascinating about it - but it has a large full color picture of the animal and then a few facts about it to read. The Baby Einstein people somehow know how to make baby crack in every format apparently. This book has lots of words - but we would read one fact, turn the page and then when we inevitably restart the book (because every book has to be read like 10 times in a row) we would read the next fact. I now know that a male gorilla can eat up to 40 pounds in a single day ;) Also all the molly Katz lift a flap books have been hits. The old standard "pat the bunny" is quite popular too although I have a large format version and feel it is kind of flimsy so I keep it out of reach. If you don't already have it - the Little Feet Love book is endlessly fascinating as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:40 pm 
Married to the wolfman

If you're already swimming in board books, you might already have these, but M (who doesn't have the longest attention span) really loves Sandra Boynton's books. The Belly Button Book, Moo Baa La La La, etc, etc.

He also really digs Eric Carle's books but I can only stand about 50% of them. Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me is one of the ones I actually like.

He also looooooves the Pete the Cat books. Fairly low on words, and you can sing the first 3 or 4. (After that, someone else started writing them and they're not so good anymore.)

(I only posted M's recommendations because E likes/liked pretty much every book, whereas M will get up and walk away if he's not into the book.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we have one of the baby einstein books like that! it seems like even though it's more words it's not too many that she wanders off.
there is a super duper cute tiny mouse in the one we have.

i feel the same about the Eric Carle books C&S.
for some reason over the last few days she has been super into the polar bear one.
i just think the artwork is weird looking.

ill have to look for Pete the Cat. i think that's the only ones im unfamiliar with.

weve gone through a bunch of Sandra Boynton books both from the library and hand me downs we've gotten.
HIppos Go Beserk is a personal favorite.....as in my personal favorite ;-)
of course me and my husband should not be allowed to read children's books to actual children as we've both read the book as "all the hippos begin to twerk"

there is something wrong with us

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:50 pm 
Married to the wolfman

My least favorite Eric Carle is this one where a seed sets out to become a plant and along the way all of its seed cohort dies in horrible ways but it grows into a flower... And then someone picks it. Thanks EC for reminding me of the pointlessness and futility of life using fun collages!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:33 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Westiebaby is a book fiend, we still read cardboard books but more paper ones these days, she's never torn a page but still occasionally over-enthusiastically opens a flap and I have to re-attach but I figure no biggie, she's enjoying herself!

Some of her favourites:

Stomp

Mo's Smelly Jumper

Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack or any Hairy Maclary books

Blue Chameleon

If she's remotely as interested in dogs as Westiebaby, I also recommend Emily Gravett's 'Dogs'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

coldandsleepy wrote:
My least favorite Eric Carle is this one where a seed sets out to become a plant and along the way all of its seed cohort dies in horrible ways but it grows into a flower... And then someone picks it. Thanks EC for reminding me of the pointlessness and futility of life using fun collages!

oh my god we have a copy of that one! it's called the Tiny Seed i think. i keep it at like the bottom of her toy box. My cousin used to run an in home day care and for some reason no longer does she after BP was born she gave me a bunch of old books from her daycare and it seemed like she kind of hand picked them for us because there were some guinea pig ones and the Tiny Seed was in there too. i think maybe she gave it to us because BP is so small???? anywho i read it and i was like "OH MY GOD SO MANY WORDS for a board book!" and yeah the story is like forked up for a kids book.

when we go to the library i often just grab random board books based on whether they look interesting. i dont actually like screen them ahead of time and sometimes i read them aloud to her and end with "well that book was WEIRD!"
haha

one weird one i got recently i dont remember the name of but it was very pro earth/enviro friendly but as i was reading it i realized how factually inaccurate it was. it was kind of anti-human which is a bit weird for a kids book and it said something about "there are many many many more humans than all the stars in the sky" and i was like "ummmmmm"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:19 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that Stomp one looks fun OWWW!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My other least favorite Eric Carle is the one about fish species where the male cares for the young in some fashion. It's full of stuff like "mr. Fish is babysitting for mrs. Fish." Also, the mr and mrs stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that makes me want to burn Eric Carle books

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:51 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Guys, the thing about Eric Carle is that he did Brown Bear Brown Bear, and the thing about Brown Bear Brown Bear is that there is no reading ability required to read it, you just have to memorize two sentences and recognize animal pictures, so if you are caring for a 4 year old and 2 year old twins the 4 year old can read it to the twins even though she doesn't know how to read and you can breathe and make yourself a cup of tea for a second.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

My least favorite Eric Carle book is the Grouchy Ladybug. Just excruciating to read!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I really like the direction this thread is going :)

But anyway, the only books that have really hit the spot in the low word-to-picture ratio around here have been Sandra Boynton books. That woman is a freaking genius. Even though we are now into books with actual plots (wow), we still read a lot of "But Not the Hippopotamus!" The other thing she has loved for a really, really long time is a collection of Mother Goose nursery rhymes with illustrations. We wind up changing a lot of the words, but the sing-songy quality along with the pictures is very engaging.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:14 am 
Married to the wolfman

My kids both love the Grouchy Ladybug. Actually, THEY love ALL the EC stuff. I don't know what it is that's so mesmerizing but they would read all of them (including the Seed of Death or whatever) over and over if they could.

I was picking up books with M today and trying to think of more he really likes... He loves The Cat in the Hat (mild cat obsession) and Go Dog Go and Are You My Mother. He recently started to like In the Night Kitchen. And he also digs any book about trains but my experience with train books is... Mixed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:18 am 
***LIES!!!***

Oh how could I forget? We loved the runaway bunny at that age and a book called freight train than we still read and Malka has memorized.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:48 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we like But Not the Hippopotamus too but i find the ending weird. im like "but why NOT the armadillo?" and i cant help read it as "armadillamus" to make it rhyme.

anytime i read the sandra boynton books im like "why did i not think of this shiitake?"
seriously i worked in a book store for 7 years so i saw how well they sold long before i had a kid and im just jealous of her empire

we also like Are You My Mother and Go Dogs Go.
but i have to say (not Go Dogs Go) but is it just me or is there a crazy amount of childrens' books about the mother trying to find her baby?

i randomly grabbed this picture book at the library cause i liked the title and apparently BP is obsessed with it. i did a few hours of work yesteray and my husband said she just sat and flipped through it for like 20 mins straight. he tried to give her a different book and threw that one away and went back to this one.
then last night she was flipping through it again

http://www.amazon.com/My-Dog-Thinks-Im-Genius/dp/1609050592/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406472420&sr=1-1&keywords=my+dog+thinks+i%27m+a+genius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:16 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ah, I was just going to suggest Boynton books! We have many of them and still read them frequently, even though F's into very long books as well. Doggies, Pajama Time, and All the Hippos Go Berserk are our favorites, I think.

Some other simple ones that F loves:
Bear Snores On
Duck in Truck (there's a whole series)
If you Give a Pig a Pancake (also a series)
Owl Babies
We're Going on a Bear Hunt
anything by Julia Donaldson (The Gruffalo, Room on the Broom, The Snail and the Whale..the woman is amazing!)
Maisy books

We are going to have to build new shelves for all of our books...yikes!

Also...Eric Carle didn't right Brown Bear, Brown Bear (Bill Martin, Jr.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:04 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Ariann wrote:
Oh how could I forget? We loved the runaway bunny at that age and a book called freight train than we still read and Malka has memorized.

Freight Train is the one train book I really like! There's also a weird eco-conscious train one that I'm blanking on right now. There's also an Usborne Farmyard (series; this one has nothing to do with farms, I don't know about the other ones) book about repairing a train station and riding on the steam train that we both like. Also Goodnight Engines/Good Morning Engines which is a variety of vehicles/machines.

He also has one called I Love Trains! or something like that and it's the worst. And a couple of others that are somewhere in between.

Both kids like the Usborne stories (there are approximately six million) overall, but again, my interest is mixed. Some of them are super tedious and dull. They do have like, breastfeeding as a normal thing and stuff in them, and both parents doing different jobs, at least in some of the stories, so I like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:17 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

oh geez, yes, Westiebaby loves the various Usborne books my mum has [she used to be an early childhood teacher, so she has a bunch of old picture books at her place], often she's not fussed about the story, but finding that freaking little duck is the BEST. THING. EVER. Apparently.

On that note, we have this Cows say Moo book, which has a little bug to find on each page, and she loves that, too.

Another favourite of hers I've just remembered is I know a Rhino

And I got her this 100 First Words lift the flap book for her birthday, and we could easily spend a half hour a day 'reading'/looking at it, so was definitely a good investment!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:58 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i bought a similar one to the 100 first words book. same publisher but it's first colors and numbers or something i think. but it's not lift the flap! BP loves lift the flap! i wish i had gotten that one instead!