| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kids and supplements
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:51 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so on the never ending problem of BabyPunk not eating or putting things in her mouth i now have supplements she's supposed to take that i have NO IDEA how im supposed to get into her.

i got a multivitamin with fluoride at her 2 year pedi appt. it does not have iron in it.
she got her blood work done and is slightly anemic so they recommended an iron supplement.
im looking at her records online and the result for her iron test was 32.9 and it doesnt give me the range it just says "low"
im thinking she's only mildly anemic because when they tested her at 9 months the dr said she was only mildly anemic and her level then was 32.2 so it's a bit up.

my issue is that both the multivitamin supplement and the iron supplement taste HORRIFYINGLY DISGUSTING.
there's no way in hell i would ever be able to just squirt it into her mouth as in and havent tried. i refuse to try too with her oral aversion issues. i dont need to take a giant step backwards.

she drinks vanilla soymilk very well and some days i get her to drink a smoothie. the smoothie is good because i can hide things in it. i actually put blackstrap molasses in it for the iron but i can only put so much.
the other day i put a bit of the multivitamin in and it tasted ok. i can only do up to like a half dose those before it starts to taste foul.

today i put a half dose of the multivitamin and half dose or the iron in her smoothie and it tasted FOUL.

i also wonder about mixing the fluoride and the iron as when the dr was looking at the list of vitamins she could prescribe from she could either prescribe a multivitamin with fluoride or one with iron but not one with both.

she will eat yogurt and hummus but only in small amount. she doesnt ever eat anything in quantity enough for me to even try hiding anything in it.

any one have any magical ideas?
i think im just not gonna worry too much about it.
the nutrition clinic was kind of "meh whatever" on the idea of vitamins which kind of blew my mind and the dr said it couldnt hurt so obviously no one is telling me ERMAGHERD SHE NEEDS VITAMINS

when i had to stop giving her the iron previously because of her oral issues everyone was like "that's fine" so maybe it's not a big deal.

Post subject: Re: kids and supplements
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:56 pm 
Semen Strong

I was able to get Leela her iron supplement in an eye dropper with OJ. It gets it past her teeth (so less staining) and squirts it down her throat. We played sick baby panda and the vet.

And I would crush her multi in water and eyedropper that as well, until one day she decided just to eat it. So that was easy.

She liked the gummy vitamins, but with her fillings those are a no-go for us now, sadly.

Leela doesn't have oral aversion issues though, so I can't help with those...

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

is the flavor of the OJ strong enough to over power the iron flavor?

i hadnt thought about crushing a solid multi. we got the liquid one for obvious reasons but crushing one into a liquid might be a better idea. especially if it is a chewable one so it probably tastes at least semi good and not vile and nasty like the liquid.

ill have to see if i can get her to drink OJ. we've never really tried much juice with her since she intake of anything is so low we've stuck with soymilk and smoothies.

thanks! both those ideas are super helpful!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:12 pm 
Semen Strong

I found that the OJ with iron still tasted like Satan's dank butthole, but Leela drank it. Kids are weird and like sugar. Plus Vit C is good for iron adsorption.

The multivitamin tastes good - we dissolve it in hot (nearly boiling) water and just use a bit, so I can give her a few eye droppers.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this iron supplementing is just evil.

im thinking she wont take it if it changes the flavor of the OJ.
im not even sure i could get her to drink OJ but she might.

she's moving in the right direction for eating she just refuses to bite or chew anything. she will mouth things but not chew and swallow.

one day.....one day.....

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:40 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tlish, what brand vitamins are you giving Leela?

i bought some WF brand multivitamins that im hoping arent the gummy ones but the crushable ones. theres no iron in them but i think that is pretty standard for iron not to be in multis.

why do you boil them if you dont mind me asking? is it to get them to dissolve so you can use the eye dropper? also does boiling them affect the potency of the nutrients???

does anyone give their gets fluoride drops?
do they have a flavor? my mom claims when she gave me and my brother fluoride drops a million years ago they didnt have a flavor and she could just add them to our bottles. that was 35+ years ago though

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:30 pm 
Chip Strong

Lisa, both of my kids take these chewables: http://www.amazon.com/VegLife-Vegan-Mul ... ds+vitamin
They must taste like candy or something because they are both obsessed with them. And they actually have iron in them (I think maybe 100% daily value for toddlers?).

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:45 pm 
Semen Strong

I don't boil them, just use hot water to dissolve better! We have an Rx generic that is covered by insurance. I need to follow up with the MD on whether it has zinc and if I can find one with iron

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:14 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

We also do the Veglife chewable multivitamin and Scarlett is obsessed with it. I am still perplexed by all of you whose pediatric providers have tested for anemia because no one has ever suggested testing or supplementing to me!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:31 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Moooo this was the second time. Once at 9 months and once at 2. I don't think the second time was for her eating issues either I think it was standard because they tested for lead again which blows my mind as they already tested her once and she has zero risk factors.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Tlish that cool you got a vitamin insurance will cover. When I picked up our Rx liquid one they told me insurance won't cover it. I didn't mind until I realized I probably can't use it so I effectively flushed $25 down the toilet plus possibly another $15 for the iron. Gah!!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:55 am 
Seagull of the PPK

we used to have solid pills to give and you can get a pill crusher from any pharmacy, it is a screwy contraption thing. that makes it dissolve even more easily, or you might be able to mix it in something (maple syrup?)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:51 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I think this is a great thread to start but don't really have any helpful suggestions, LisaPunk. I think you mentioned she drinks chocolate soymilk - I feel like that would mask a bad taste pretty well, maybe.

We picked up some B12 spray and DHA drops for Little Nettle, which I figure I'll mix in with yoghurt - but has anyone here tried sprays for a bebe, actually spraying in the mouth?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:02 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh yeah, in addition to the chewable multivitamin, we also do the Deva DHA drops in a little yogurt every morning. She loves it!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:05 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Our pediatrician recommended only a vitamin D supplement, but I'm starting the b12 and dha/epa today because I figure it can't hurt. I'm pretty curious about what the rest of you doing! Thanks to those of you who have mentioned what you supplement with and how so far. Am I too concerned?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I give my almost 2 y.o. adult chewable vitamins because they had the same stuff in them as kiddie vitamins, but were cheaper. I'm only supplementing for the B12 and D, but there's other stuff in there.
That said, my older ones (5 and 7) just swallow adult vitamins, so I usually get them ones with iron because even though our iron intake food-wise is usually fine, I figure it can't hurt and should help on the days we just have a lot of cereal and PBJs.

We also get free 'Healthy Start' vitamin drops from the government, that are just A, C, and D. I alternate between the free drops and the regular vitamins. I can just drop the drops right in the kids' mouths, although I used to try to hide them in juice.

But we really only need the B12 and D, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:09 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive been pulverizing a kids multi in my blender then making BP's smoothie with it.
whether or not she actually drinks it is a whole other thing.

we have vit D and iron drops for her but i dont give them to her too often because it changes the flavor of things a lot so it's really hard to get her to then drink the smoothie.

it's a constant battle.
the multi has 400IU of vit D and the soymilk i buy is fortified so hopefully that's fine.

i also got a chewable fluoride pill for her. the pharmacist says it's an orangey flavor. obviously there is no way in hell she is going to chew it so i pulverize that with the multi and everything goes in the smoothie and then i spend my day reminding her she has a smoothie but pretending i dont care if she drinks it or not because then she will drink it (crafty little minx)

the fluoride pills ended up being free with our insurance! i asked for drops from the dr but i got a pill for some reason.
my aunt is a dental hygenist and says it will be really good for her permanent teeth. we're unsure about what's going on wiht the state of her baby teeth because of her oral issues.