| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: toddler beds
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:58 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

anyone have a good recommendation for a good toddler bed that can also fit an adult to lie down next to the kid and nurse kiddo?

the crib we have from Babies R Us supposedly converts into a toddler bed but we are finding that potentially they no longer make the conversion kits for it. this stupid crib is like the bane of my existance. my parents bought it for us. i dont remember how much it was but it wasnt cheap and we've never used it. they've never said anything to us but i feel so much guilt that they bought us a super expensive item that we use to store outgrown clothes in. now i dont even think we can use the damn thing as a toddler bed.

so anyways, looking for ideas on a good toddler bed. my husband was poking around on amazon but we have no idea what we're looking at/for

Post subject: Re: toddler beds
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:48 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We have an IKEA crib (sniglar possibly?) that converts to a toddler bed. Greta's using it now and I can sort of scrunch myself in there if I need to lay down next to her. But honestly, in your shoes I'd just do a twin mattress on the floor - plenty of room and you can plop it in a bed frame when she's ready for a "real" bed.

eta: our crib is a Gulliver, not that it matters.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:02 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I have friends that just got all their kids regular adult beds for their kids post crib and it seems to have worked out well for them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

space is a bit of an issue for us. the room that is Charlotte's is the smallest bedroom (no one tell her the guinea pigs have a bigger bedroom than her) so an adult sized bed wouldnt work.

im not totally against the idea of a mattress on the floor but i think in order to entice her out of our bed and into her own bedroom we were going to get her a bed and a comforter set of her choosing with dinos or whales or something (or god forbid snakes, which she's obsessed with).

seems like most actual toddler beds wont really support the weight of an adult. im thinking we may need to buy her a twin bed (not sure if this is what you meant by an adult bed?)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:09 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

We go right from crib (that converts to toddler style bed) to twin bed. I didn't want to spend the extra money for an in-between size with limited use! Unless you're moving soon and don't mind buying another bed after your move, it might not make sense to buy an interim toddler bed even if space is at a premium.

I think Ikea has some toddler beds that are expandable to twin size, but you'd still need a separate mattress to convert it and they didn't look all that sturdy last time I was there. And I'm not sure how many places even sell that in-between sized bedding other than Ikea -- most "toddler" bedding sets I've seen (and I just did a search because we just turned Edie's crib to a toddler bed) are crib-sized.

Tons of kids I know have twin mattresses on the floor since Montessori is so popular. It certainly doesn't mean you can't have awesome bedding and accessories! Even just a simple platform frame just off the ground might make it more special for her.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:55 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok so apparently maybe we are using the crib as bed somehow. ive lost track of what is going on now.

my inlaws are here this weekend and after all our discussion of not being able to use the crib my husband and FIL are taking the crib apart and turning it into a bed. i dont know how.

im lost frankly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

If space is an issue, there are Japanese futons and (the cheaper, but equal in quality and practicality) Thai roll-up beds or Thai folding day beds. You can fold them up during the day.
http://www.mangotrees.com.au/image/data ... illows.jpg <--These are great for kids and shorties like me, not so good for tall people sleeping.
http://www.everydayminimalist.com/wp-co ... 00x239.jpg
^ We have both of those now and when I need another bed, we're going to go with this:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/ ... z/$_35.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

LisaPunk wrote:
space is a bit of an issue for us. the room that is Charlotte's is the smallest bedroom (no one tell her the guinea pigs have a bigger bedroom than her) so an adult sized bed wouldnt work.

im not totally against the idea of a mattress on the floor but i think in order to entice her out of our bed and into her own bedroom we were going to get her a bed and a comforter set of her choosing with dinos or whales or something (or god forbid snakes, which she's obsessed with).

seems like most actual toddler beds wont really support the weight of an adult. im thinking we may need to buy her a twin bed (not sure if this is what you meant by an adult bed?)

Oh yeah, twin or whatever size, just that they aren't beds made specifically for kids. 2 of their kids have queen beds and one has a twin cause her room is small.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ada and Alice both switched right to twin beds. Alice's mattress is still on the floor for now because she was rolling off when we first moved her to it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:08 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

We use a twin mattress on the floor. I spend a lot of time lying in it and I fit great.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:15 am 
Tofu Pup

You can go for a convertible futon bed. These will not take up much space in the room and can be easily opened up to accommodate an adult beside the kid.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:43 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi,
I am from Melbourne and looking for such beds for my kids and where could I adjust myself. Because we have one bedroom apartment and its hard to afford more here in Melbourne. I found some good posts here but no one give reference that where to buy. Any one can share the store name here in Australia.