| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Morning Sickness Safe Foods
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:53 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I know everyone is different but I'm curious what some MS safe foods for you all. I'm 6wks and MS just started with a vengeance. I had my husband make me french fries and as soon as he brought them to me I had to ask him to take them away as the smell made me want to vomit. So far nothing but carbs and bananas are staying down. I'm afraid of not getting any nutrition for me or the baby for the next 7 weeks.

Post subject: Re: Morning Sickness Safe Foods
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:53 pm 
Nailed to the V

When I was pregnant with my daughter I at so many triscuits I was convinced I was going to give birth to one. For a while all I could eat were carbs too. We made it through. You'll be ok. I hope your morning sickness is mild and short lived.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:24 am 
Nailed to the V

For several weeks I pretty much ate only plain black beans, guacamole with tons of lime and no garlic, rice krispies with soymilk and bananas, zucchini, and pineapple juice. I found that lime and ginger both helped the nausea, as did having a cup of juice first thing every morning.

You know, it's really just a couple months in the grand scheme--I think getting enough calories is the main thing. Don't worry so much about WHAT you're eating right now; eventually the morning sickness will go away and you'll be able to get back to normal healthy eating again.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i wouldnt worry too much nutrition wise this early on. anything the baby needs it will just take from your body regardless of what you are eating.
take your multivitamin to get the folic acid and other stuff but if you cant eat anything because it makes you sick you definitely arent the first!

i went through a period of eating only crackers (saltines maybe?) and ginger ale and not much else.

eat what foods you can stomach and slowly start to incorporate other things in as you feel better.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:00 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Thank God for this thread! I was just about to make one and ask this.

But yeah I have morning sickness and I eat very little. All I could eat this morning were cookies... talk about poor nutrition! I bought a ton of fruits and vegetables after finding out and I can't even look at them without wanting to vomit. And I feel so bad that they are slowly going bad in the refrigerator. Also bought chickpeas in bulk and I can't look at those (And I LOVE chickpeas!) I feel like the "where do you get your protein." question really does apply to me right now! Though I have been able to eat some of Amy's meals. And rice seems to be okay. But my body just wants junk.

Here is the awful part, I am craving McDonalds chicken mcnuggets hardcore. I haven't even had McDonalds in two years. Every time I'm out driving and I see the M, the cravings come. (And they are EVERYWHERE where I live, God of all things to crave!)

So anyone got either a vegan recipe that can mimic chicken mcnuggets or a vegan product that tastes similar? Gardein chicken strips won't work because they aren't the right kind of chicken nugget.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:04 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

The "chicken" part of the Trader Joe's mandarin chicken stuff, baked without sauce, reminds me of chicken nuggets. I haven't had a chicken nugget in a looooong time, though, and only ever ate them super rarely so my memory may be way off. But it's worth a shot! Hope you feel better soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:12 pm 

I will definitely have to try those! Thank you! The taste will probably be fine. If I actually did give in and go pick up some McDonalds, the chicken will probably not taste the way I expected it. (When I get pregnant and I crave something, the reality seems to be way different from the expectation and nothing is as good as I think it will be. But at least it kills the craving because that food will become the next thing that makes me nauseous).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:48 am 
Nooch of Earl

Have you tried the Health is Wealth vegan nuggets?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:07 am 
Chip Strong

Popchips original chips are super salty and bland, if that sounds good to anyone! I also relied on drinking flavored water (slices of lemon, lime, or cucumber) or watered-down gatorade (helped when I was so thirsty) when plain water was gross.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:34 pm 

annak wrote:
Have you tried the Health is Wealth vegan nuggets?

I haven't heard of them. Can you get them at Whole Foods? I'm only about a year into veganism (and maybe more like 6 months because I made so many mistakes when I first started out) I love hearing about new products! My Whole Foods is about 45 minutes away so going there is a bit of a special treat. The nearest Trader Joes is about the same length but in the opposite direction. But the grocery store that is close by does have some vegan options. (Though no where near as large of a selection as Whole Foods.) They have a small natural foods selection, which is where most of their vegan options are located. I would love to try those nuggets though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:35 am 
Nooch of Earl

I think they're at the WF where I used to shop (SoCal). I haven't bought them in a long time but am fairly certain.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:45 pm 

Got another question, any recommendations for easy meals that do not use onions? I swore that I was going to eat healthy this pregnancy but the other day I managed to chop some vegetables and was ready for a nap shortly after. And I've kind of been depending on restaurants. Right now the sight of onions makes me sick. (Heck just thinking about them does) And nearly every recipe uses onions. If anyone has any recommendations for onion free recipes can you give me the book and/or website and title of recipe? I have a lot of vegan cook books. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:07 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Hi everyone!

This thread has been dead for a while, but I thought I'd resurrect it rather than making a new thread.

My husband I and found out that we're expecting a little one about three weeks ago, and we're over the moon! Because it was planned, I'd done a fair bit of research, but nothing could have prepared me for the sickness. I've been feeling sick all day, every day since about 6 weeks, and have started throwing up multiple times a day over the past week or so. Absolutely nothing is staying down, not bland carbs, not food I crave, nothing. I've lost about five pounds since conceiving and can't see myself making any significant gains in the next few weeks. My stomach and throat are in constant pain from being sick all the time. I can't go to work and am forced to suspend my university studies because I just can't manage anything at the moment. While I can usually keep clear fluids down, I can tell I'm starting to get a little dehydrated because my lips are flaking and my skin is drying out, as well as not peeing as much as I used to.

Has anyone had any experience with severe nausea/sickness? Was there anything that helped? My midwife said I shouldn't worry about it unless I couldn't keep fluid down either, but I just feel so awful and I don't know how to manage for the next four weeks.

Sorry for the moan and thank you for your advice!

Please can you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:27 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm so sorry you are so ill. I didn't actually throw up at all when I was pregnant but I asked for and was prescribed anti-nausea medication. If I was throwing up multiple times daily and couldn't function at job/school I would say that is an issue and would request prescription medication. There are several available that have good safety profiles for pregnancy. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:29 pm 
WELFARIST!

Congrats Babychimp91!

I started feeling sick at 6 weeks too, although not as sick as you. I would also request anti-nausea medication in your case.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:20 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Hang in there Babychimp!
I have experience with severe nausea/hyper-emesis (throwing up all the time). I'm a bit of a lurker on these boards - but I had to chime in on this one :) The vomiting started for me at 4.5 weeks and stopped precisely when I delivered my son 14 weeks ago. I was on the more severe continuum of things - I had several sessions of IV hydration with my midwives and I was on daily Zofran and another drug called Diglesis. I too had to withdraw from a grad program I was in and eventually stop working around 13 weeks. It really sucked, my midwives kept saying "wait till 12 weeks" then "wait till 20 weeks" - but it just never went away.
It got better with the meds - I would maybe look into Diglesis - which is really just a combo of B6 vitamin and Unisom - it is a medication combo that has been used for years with some success - and it is in the safest class of medication for pregnancy.
I would also think about IV hydration if that is offered to you - even when I was keeping down fluids I was still dehydrated from all the vomiting - a liter of IV fluids usually made me feel like I could take on the worlds again.
I hope I don't sound like a downer - but my experience was on the more extreme end. Hang in there and be nice to yourself! Let me know if you have any questions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:54 am 
Inflexitarian

I agree that you should ask about meds again. My SIL has been on them for all three of her pregnancies, and they have helped quite a bit. Even if the sickness goes away for most people, it certainly doesn't for everyone.

Also: congratulations on your pregnancy!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:30 am 

Thank you everyone! I'm going to get in touch with my GP today to see if I can make an appointment. I think tablets are probably the way to go at this point.

BossyLhassi - I'm sorry you ended up with such severe sickness! I'm glad you spoke up though. In a really weird way, I'm glad you had a similar experience. No one I know had anything this bad, and I'm getting the feeling they all think I'm faking it a little bit. I don't think they understand just how bad it is and it's making me feel a little bit isolated, so I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one! It must have been horrible to go through the entire pregnancy really sick though :(.

Please can you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:29 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Oh Hugs Babychimp! When it started happening to me I felt the same way...that somehow, someway I was making it worse that it really was. That I was weak or somehow (in my worst moments) defective. And I'm a nurse! It helped me to learn that a nurse I worked with also experienced extreme nausea/vomiting to the extent that she had to get a special type of IV that could stay in all the time to get extra hydration. I too felt better after knowing I wasn't the only one to experience such extremes. And it really could go away totally for you - for the majority of pregnant women it does. I had to cling to that hope for all 40 weeks! But really, feeling like you do knocks you on your asparagus and it's a very real experience. My midwife said about 15% of all pregnancies are just kind of miserable experience, so there are others out there who have experiences similar things. Give yourself (and your wee one) a lot of slack and just be as kind to yourself as possible.

The upside? It WILL go away and/or it will lessen in severity- mine went away as soon as I delivered. And I think that I became a mentally stronger person by having to deal with it and that has helped me adapt as a new mother. And, as cheesy as it sounds - it would/will do it all over again - but I didn't really get that until I had my baby in my arms (it's hard to feel that way when your head is in the toilet!)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

My spouse is going through that right now. Not able to work or eat and losing weight. The good news is that most of what the embryo needs in vitamins comes from your liver, so you shouldn't feel too guilty if you can only eat a few crackers a day. The bad news is weeks of just laying in bed unable to do anything. I think the Unisom helps, but isn't enough. I keep thinking "if this is what pregnancy is like how do people ever have more than one child?"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:01 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Tigon, the ridiculous thing is that from one pregnancy to the next, things may be totally different. I had one pregnancy (which ultimately I didn't carry to term) where I could only keep down two things- apples and umeboshi, and even those mostly came up later. Anything else, don't even think about it. I lost about 25 pounds. The next pregnancy, where I was pregnant with twins, I had absolutely no morning sickness whatsoever, I was wonder woman and worked til about 35 weeks.
When I was so sick, I was in Japan, where pregnancy care is not exactly women-friendly (to be generous)- their hard line was always to just hang in there, no meds are approved for pregnancy use. During my second pregnancy I read a story in the NYT, i think, about what they called "extreme morning sickness" and I realized there were other people who had it that bad, and there was even treatment. I hope BabyChimp and Mama Tigon both get some relief!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

torque, NO meds are approved for pregnancy??? How does that work?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:20 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

my doctor said no to everything. I'll never forget "you have to just deal with it". i had flu and it was really, really bad. no nothing was permitted. even vitamins, they looked at me like i was nuts when I asked. i probably could have gone nuts finding US doctors through the consulate and maybe the army base but at the point when i got pregnant again I just decided to move to the US to not deal with that again (i can't even imagine how bad birth would have been).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:35 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Wow...no med's at all. That sounds beyond hellish! I'm hoping my next go around will be better (but gotta prepare for the worst). Tigon - my husband had similar reactions. Up until like 10 weeks he kept saying things to me like "do all women experience this?!" until he realized that not to the same degree. I must say he really had to step up around the house and being the only one really doing any of the cooking and cleaning...I think it was pretty hard on him to see me so sick...so hugs to you too, I know it's hard!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:50 am 

I saw my doctor and was told they wouldn't treat morning sickness unless I was severely dehydrated and it had been going on for quite a while, so I didn't get much help there. I've been signed off work and have been getting steadily worse - I'm now throwing up fluids as well and only have about two hours a day - between half five and half seven in the evening - in which I can even get out of bed for more than a few minutes. I'm so fed up of feeling like this. Gah.