| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nipple Piercings and breastfeeding
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:00 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Hi guys. Just looking for some personal experiences with nipple piercings and breastfeeding, either successfully or not. I also am a little torn on when to remove them. I have read some people recomend taking them out as soon as possible, and others who say it doesnt matter as long as they are out prior to breastfeeding. I am currently 9 weeks pregnant and aside from some extra discharge from the piercing holes themselves, I have had no issues with them being uncomfortable or anything. The discharge is the same normal type of discharge i had prior to pregnancy, just need to clean them a little more often, certainly nothing indicative of infection or anything like that. I love these piercings and kinda want to keep them for a little while longer ( i know...kinda selfish) they make me feel a little sexier during this unsexy nauseus time, and i imagine this feeling of wanting to hold on to something sexy will only increase as i get further along.

So this all being said.....any input as to when i should remove them would be appreciated. My midwife wasnt very helpful as she has no experience with this. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Nipple Piercings and breastfeeding
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:22 pm 
Nooch of Earl

No personal experience on that front, but my fried is a LLL leader, so I asked her and here's the response:

"Hmm, I don't see a good reason to take it out now if she ever wants to put them back in. There is a chance even a long-standing piercing will heal up if you have the piercing out long-term. Any damage to the ducts has already happened. It looks like there aren't usually big problems with having a piercing except that milk can sometimes come out of the piercing holes quicker than is standard (same issues for feeding as over active letdown)."

So, it's not a personal experience but I thought it would be useful info...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:27 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thank you so much, I appreciate the extra effort! I have heard of the leakage issues before, so im ready for that possibility. Thanks for the encouraging info !I guess if they heal up, thats alright, I guess i will get them repierced after we are finished having babies, and they are all weaned.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:33 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Check out this article from LLL magazine.
https://www.llli.org/nb/nbiss4-09p4.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:56 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thats a very informative article, thank you for posting this. I didnt find anything like it when I searched around the web.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:15 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Hi, I left my nipple piercing out throughout my pregnancy and just took it out when my son was born. I didn't get very big though, so my boobs didn't grow a massive amount. The piercing did close up after a while though, and getting it redone when I was no longer breastfeeding was beyond painful (just something to bear in mind haha).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:48 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thanks Quail. Yeah repiercing is not something i will be looking forward to..lol, Its was bad enough the first time! So I take it you had no trouble breastfeeding then?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:07 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Well, I only had one nipple pierced, and the milk seemed to come out of both boobs at the same rate, so I don't think my piercing caused me any trouble. In fact, the breastfeeding book in the hospital said that piercings shouldn't cause any problem, so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:01 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thank you! I really hope so, breastfeeding is so important to me, I would hate for something silly like this to interfere. What time in your pregnancy did you remove them? Anybody else wear them throughout the whole time other than Quail?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:27 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

i had a piercing on one side (there for over 15 years) and i took it out in my 2nd trimester because i wanted to give it a chance to "rest" before the baby came. it seemed to close up within a week, at least from the outside. i haven't had any big issues with it or noticed any difference in flow, but it does seem that side is more prone to plugged ducts, always in the same area. it's only happened about 4 times, but always that same spot, never on the other side. i know someone else who has had the same problem, though worse. don't think there is much you can do about that in advance, other than knowing what to do if you get a plugged duct!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:53 am 
Saggy Butt

That is an interesting article. I don't have personal experience but I used to be a LLL leader so this is intriguing.

The anecdotal reports I got while LLLing were that bfing with (extra) nipple holes was not a big deal.

What I would be more concerned about right now is that changes in your breasts may make the piercings uncomfortable. Mine were huge and very sensitive while pregnant. Of course, you have to balance that with wanting to minimize the likelihood of the holes filling in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i've read that it's safer to nurse with a barbell, because the suction can dislodge a captive ball. (just make sure you tighten the balls before each session just to be safe.) if you prefer rings, you can also just get continuous rings for the duration. that'd take balls out of the equation entirely. just make sure you close the gap as seamlessly as possible, or just make sure the gap is never inside the tunnel, lest you get scratches. (a ring would make them a lot easier to clean, that's for sure.)

i have a pair of segment rings that are seriously awesome! i don't know if it'd be in the same camp as captive balls in regard to suction/choking danger, but that takes the scratchiness of continuous rings out of the equation.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:24 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think as time goes on I may take them out and give my nipples a rest before baby arrives. I wont be wearing any jewelry while breastfeeding though, seems to risky to me, as well as the potential for latching issues. Illlet you all know how it works out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

another alternative would be to switch the jewelry from one nipple to the other every few days or so, and nurse from the one that doesn't have jewelry in it. (would that potentially cause problems with leaking or engorgement if it's not used every day? i guess you could pump the one with jewelry in it and have dad feed at night.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Feeding from only one boob for a long time usually causes supply to go down. You probably couldn't pump with the jewelry in, but pumping is not as effective as just nursing in maintaining supply for a lot of women anyway. Also, it's a pain in the asparagus.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:53 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Yeah, Im pretty sure ill just take them out. I guess if i really miss them, i can get them redone down the road. There are too many issues with nursing from one side, cleaning jewerly, etc..just not worth the hassle. More just trying to figure out how long to keep them in while im pregnant.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]