| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to serve at a birthday party?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:09 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

My daughter is turning 3 this summer (yes, I'm already worrying about it with 5 months to go) and I'm trying to figure out what to serve at her party. When she turned 1 we did wraps with pasta salad and green salad and that sort of thing, last year we had the party in the morning and did bagels. This year I'm thinking of doing the party around dinnertime. And I'm out of ideas. There's going to be a bunch of toddlers, but also all of their parents, plus assorted aunts, uncles and grandparents.

Post subject: Re: What to serve at a birthday party?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:14 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Lemme see. E (3) had his birthday party during vegan MoFo last year and my MoFo theme was dips, so we had a bunch of dips & dippers at his party. Can't remember what we would've served at his second birthday... I'm really blanking on that. His first birthday party was a potluck and I don't think I made a damn thing but cake.

M's first birthday party is next weekend. We're having a potluck again because 1. It's my birthday too and I forking love potlucks and 2. I think it's a nice non-stressy way to do a first birthday, and makes it easier for some people to be told "you don't need to bring him a gift." (We're not anti-gift, but at least one friend who is coming is in a rough financial spot and I don't want that friend to feel like its necessary to drop $20 on a baby vs like $3 on a bag of chips or whatever.)

I am actually cooking some stuff for the potluck too though. I'm thinking dim sum type stuff... Steamed buns (make ahead, steam during the party), potstickers, and maybe one more thing?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:01 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i've found pizza is a really good thing for toddler dinner parties. we make our own dough, and assemble and bake the pizza during the party. instead of vegan cheese, you can do a simple tofu ricotta with basil. pretty much all kids like pizza, and it's simple and quick. if you want to make it potlucky, have everyone bring a couple toppings, and you supply the dough.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:12 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I really like the make-your-own pizza idea! Not 100% they're mature enough to handle it (I know my kid can, but some of them are still animals), but going to stew on that.

coldandsleepy, what kind of dips? I always put out hummus and onion dip, but am always on the lookout for something new and exciting.