| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Names you didn't use?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:09 am 
Tofu Pup

Megan My Dear wrote:
Mike wanted to name Zelda Dignan if she was a boy. Like form the movie bottle rocket.

So. Rad.

My father wanted to call me Eunice. Can you imagine?!? I would have died. If I was a boy, I'd be Matthew (and my little brother would be something else).

We picked Violet 4 hours after we found out I was pregnant & stuck with it. If she was a boy, she would have been August (Gus). We'd have used Gus if Clementine was a boy too.

Other names we considered for Clementine (whose 1st name is actually Anna because everyone gave us so much guff about Clementine) are: Alice, Zoe, Stella, Audrey, Tess. None of them felt right.

I've been trying to needle Jesse into liking Dahlia FOREVER & I think he's finally caved. So if we have a #3....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:29 am 
Married to the wolfman

Taryn wrote:
Megan My Dear wrote:
Mike wanted to name Zelda Dignan if she was a boy. Like form the movie bottle rocket.

So. Rad.

My father wanted to call me Eunice. Can you imagine?!? I would have died. If I was a boy, I'd be Matthew (and my little brother would be something else).

My husband loves the name Evgeniya (or Yevgeniya) for a girl. This reminded me of that!

I'd have been Daniel if I was a boy. I was very nearly Danielle as a girl anyway.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:40 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

i love the name Eunice. It doesn't suit YOU. but I love me a good old lady name. Mmmmm. I can imagine it now. My baby, wearing a cosby sweater, being named Eunice. Love it.

I had a dream that I had another girl and named her Libby after my grandma.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:41 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

coldandsleepy wrote:
My husband loves the name Evgeniya (or Yevgeniya) for a girl. This reminded me of that!

And I will still fight for it if Number Two is a girl!

Rawr!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:29 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Megan My Dear wrote:
i love the name Eunice. It doesn't suit YOU. but I love me a good old lady name. Mmmmm. I can imagine it now. My baby, wearing a cosby sweater, being named Eunice. Love it.

I know a very nice Eunice. Her husband calls her "neece-y" and it's just so cute.

I also love old man/old lady names (my kid is Walter, my dogs are Graeme and Eleanor). If Walt had been a girl, we were thinking about Millicent. My husband's grandma was Mildred, and while I love Millie, Mildred is just a little too close to mildew. But can you imagine, little Millie in her new jumper on the first day of kindergarten? Eek! I also love Frances for a girl (husband's grandfather was Francis), and Florence (nickname Flossie).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:46 am 
Semen Strong

My neighbors come from the African-American tradition of taking the names of the mother, father and others who are close to them and making a new name from those names in tribute. I think that the tradition is really lovely, though I think it is really hard to use it, because it triggers so much racist and classist baggage.

My neighbor's name is Sarah, her grand-daughter is Teearah, because her daughter wanted to put her mom's name into the name. I think it is such a gorgeous sentiment.

I'd love to name any daughter I had after my mother (Selina), but I wouldn't want to put all the weight of who she was to me on a little soul. I could see creating or finding a name that had elements of my mother in it. My mother and I both share a middle name though - Felicia and Felicity respectively, so if I am lucky enough to have a girl, she gets to have that one as well. I love it because it comes from the Latin felix and feels like a blessing, plus it reminds me of cats.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

Megan My Dear wrote:

So funny. I love the old lady names too but man, Eunice is pushing it in my world. I LOVE Millicent! I used to work with a Millie who was my age at the time, and also a Nellie & a Hilda.

I also love Minerva. Sweet little Mini!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:07 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

There were no ultrasounds when I was born, and my mom was convinced she was having a boy, so I would have been a junior. She'd promised my great-grandmother she'd go with a name she liked, and when I ended up being a girl, she had to keep her promise. I love my dad, buy I really got the better end of the deal! My brother, of course, is a junior.

My great-grandmother was Josephine, and I've always loved that name.

Carl seems to be refusing to name a kid anything that isn't nature-related. He vetoes anything I like that is nature-related, and won't make our kid sound like they were conceived at Woodstock. So as of now, any kid we have might share a name with one of our cats.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

my name is Bryann (breeyon') Lee. Mom always claimed it was Gaelic but I'm pretty sure she made it up. I love it tho, so it's cool.

my daughter, had she been a boy, I wanted to name Khalil Gibran Ourlastname. But our last name is Eastern Indian and we thought maybe it was a bit much to just slap all that on him, arabic first name, indian last. I love Khalil tho, so we considered it as a middle, but then decided on Jaxson Quinn (Jaxson because we loved it, Quinn for Daniel Quinn because we love him).

As luck would have it we had a girl, and had no name other than knowing her middle name would be Louise for my gma. Driving to the beach one evening we were listening to Jack Johnson and Taylor Louise became the best name ever to us ;)

My mom has mentioned that she almost named me Bobbie Joe. I have no idea why. and we're from 'Jersey so I have NO idea where she came up with that....but i'm so glad I never did become BJ. whew.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:17 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

coldandsleepy wrote:

Is it just me or does that name sound remarkably like "vagina"?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:43 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

mittenmacher wrote:
Megan My Dear wrote:

I know a very nice Eunice. Her husband calls her "neece-y" and it's just so cute.

I also love old man/old lady names (my kid is Walter, my dogs are Graeme and Eleanor). If Walt had been a girl, we were thinking about Millicent. My husband's grandma was Mildred, and while I love Millie, Mildred is just a little too close to mildew. But can you imagine, little Millie in her new jumper on the first day of kindergarten? Eek! I also love Frances for a girl (husband's grandfather was Francis), and Florence (nickname Flossie).

I love the way your mind works. Old-fashioned names are the best!
My mom's name is Florence, and I was so sad that I didn't get a more old lady name. (all 5 of her sisters also had "older" names)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:10 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My mom wanted to name me Octavia or Autumn if I'd been a girl, Adam if I'd been a boy. Funny how Autumn and Adam sound almost exactly the same.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:44 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I would've been Patrick if I was a boy (it's my brother's name now.) I think I was always supposed to be a Caitlin, but my mom said she would have liked to name me after her mother (Mary Jane) but she had a sister Mary and a sister Maura, so Mary is my middle name. My paternal grandmother's name was Gertrude, which would have been badass, but apparently neither of my parents thought so.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:45 pm 
Married to the wolfman

choirqueer wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

Is it just me or does that name sound remarkably like "vagina"?

I can hear it.

It's actually a beautiful name in Russian, but since we're a) not Russian and b) don't live in Russia, I think it would be setting up a child for a lifetime of mispronunciation and despair! Despaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir!

Okay, maybe not despair.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6