| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Names you didn't use?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:58 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

My parents already had a boy and wanted me to be a girl. I was to be Susan. This became my nickname when my dad was unsatisfied with me (I was raised in the country outside of a small redneck town):

"hurry up Suzy Q!"
"what's the matter Susan, that hay bale too heavy for you?"

good times.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:52 am 
Grandfathered In

Spooky wrote:
My name is Rebecca. My mother wanted to call me Mariah, my dad was set on Anastasia. They saw the Alfred Hitchcock movie Rebecca shortly before I was born and were able to compromise on that.
I'm glad I didn't end up a Mariah.

What you should be glad about is that they hadn't watched Psycho instead.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:23 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

My husband really wanted to name a son Homer. Which is a nice name if you don't watch the Simpsons slightly obsessively and then swear up and down that that is not why you want to use that name. Ahem.

I liked Leila and Olive for a girl. We didn't really have any other serious contenders for a boy name (we chose Daxter). Now I am loving the idea to use another name with an "x" when #2 comes along: Roxy, Lexi, Beatrix Louise, Rex, Lex, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:44 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Kiddo wrote:
My husband really wanted to name a son Homer. Which is a nice name if you don't watch the Simpsons slightly obsessively and then swear up and down that that is not why you want to use that name. Ahem.

I liked Leila and Olive for a girl. We didn't really have any other serious contenders for a boy name (we chose Daxter). Now I am loving the idea to use another name with an "x" when #2 comes along: Roxy, Lexi, Beatrix Louise, Rex, Lex, etc.

I feel like the Simpsons has spoiled the name Homer for everyone, and it's a little sad! (I'm less sad for "Bart.")

My mother was convinced by well-meaning relatives that I'd be a boy, so even though she wanted a girl named Vivian or Madeline or Joanna, she sneakily told my father he could pick the girl's name and she'd pick the boy's name. Unfortunately, her relatives were wrong, and I got "Sarah," which my mother (and for a long time, I) didn't like.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:04 am 
Tofu Pup

My name if I were to be born a boy would've been STONE. I cannot imagine going through life with that name.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:09 am 
Saggy Butt

Kiddo wrote:
Now I am loving the idea to use another name with an "x" when #2 comes along: Roxy, Lexi, Beatrix Louise, Rex, Lex, etc.

i've always liked the nickname xan for alexander, although i'm not actually a fan of the name alexander. though that's not really an x sound.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:09 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I didn't find out the sex of any of my kids, so had two names ready.
My daughter, Isobel, would have been Everett. My son James would have been Chloe. And my other son Ronin would have been Dahlia.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:31 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My parents had no boy names picked out for me, but the girls names they had sucked- Hannah or Samantha (no offense to any Hannahs or Samanthas). So I went through the first 18 years of my life as one of those, then, after bisqueing for eleven of those years, changed my name.
Now I am Charlie Wilhelmina, after my grandmother, which I would have originally loved.

My brother didn't have a girl name picked out, so he was either Jacob or Thor.
They really should've named him Thor, because he's very towering now.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:37 pm 
Inflexitarian

Zola might have been Casimir if she were a boy, and Felix might have been Leonora if he had been a girl.

I may have been Levi or Nathan if I had been a boy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:43 pm 
Grandfathered In

vegetalion wrote:
I feel like the Simpsons has spoiled the name Homer for everyone, and it's a little sad! (I'm less sad for "Bart.")

I grew up in the 70s with a kid named Bart. Everyone called him Pesty.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

FootFace wrote:
vegetalion wrote:

Okay, now I'm sad for Bart/Pesty.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:26 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Oh, the name game... I loved Mathilde because it was my great grandmother's name and I loved the Roald Dahl book. For years, that's what I wanted to name my daughter if I had one. And then I find out that my most serious ex boyfriend named his daughter that...same spelling and everything...so it ended up being a middle name. Somehow the name Noelle always popped out at me, so we used that as a first name and it works for her.

I was due on February 13th, and though it was cheesy, we decided that if she were a Valentine's baby, she would have either been a Valentina or Mathilde Valentine. I also loved the names Simone, Aurore, and Helena.

For boys we could not agree on anything except the one name we couldn't use, which is Dante. It rhymes with our last name, so it was kind of out of the question.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:29 pm 
Grandfathered In

vegetalion wrote:
FootFace wrote:
vegetalion wrote:

Okay, now I'm sad for Bart/Pesty.

Don't be. He was a jackass. A natural-born toady.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My name was supposed to be Pamela Michelle. Luckily, at the last moment, my parents realized that when paired with my last name Smith, that gave me PMS as initials. So glad they realized this!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:18 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Also, what my parents did is give me and my brother middle names that could pass for (or be abbreviated to) first names. So if I didn't want to be Josh, I could be Tom.

With the Emperor, Coldandsleepy and I went through a MILLION names. We didn't even really have a shortlist. We just had the one. (Although I'm pushing for Garrett if we have a second boy at some point, she doesn't like it. It does kind of establish a theme of naming our kids after fictional thieves, though.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:35 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I was named Melissa after a Barry Manilow song, for real. The song is "Could It Be Magic" it's so corny! But I'll still listen to it every few years and cringe and smile at the same time.

I always knew I wanted my son's middle name to be Xavier. Don't know why really, I guess I just thought the middle initial "X" would be kinda cool! My husband was not down for that name at all. And I didn't like his suggestions. But he finally settled cause I used the "I'm the one pushing this kid out!!" argument. We decided on Julian for a first name only because that was the one name we could agree on!

I'd love to name my little girl Addison Moonshadow (I can only imagine the fight over that one!) but we may not have any more kids.

And I'm pretty sure I'd have another boy anyway. Just a gut feeling! I was thinking of August for a name, but I'm still not sure. I like the name Benjamin, but I'm not too big on "Ben", is that weird?

Simone, Devon and Daphne are three of my all time fave girl names I think.

I like a lot of the names in this thread!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:51 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

If we had another boy his name would be Thomas William, but we are not having more kids. If we had a girl she would have been Alice Nora. My favorite girl name right now is Sally because Gus goes to daycare with a Sally and she's the cutest little kid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:24 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My mom wanted to name me Laura, but my dad vetoed that. If I had been a boy, I would've been Eric.

Westley was almost Max. But Rob wanted to name him Maxwell and call him Max, and I just wanted to name him Max. (I can't imagine giving my child a name I'd never call him!) We also considered Jonathan. I also really liked Jasper. Rob liked Jefferson.

We have a ton of girl names we both like. Too many to list, really. A couple we considered were Clementine and Willow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My name was Lauren, nearly up until my birth. Somewhere in there my parents realized everyone they'd known name Lauren was a bisque (sorry to any Laurens out there), and decided on Megan instead. My dad's alternate was Dawn Siobhan. Mom vetoed that. My mom said after I was born my Nana asked "How's little Lauren?" and she said "I don't know, but Megan is doing fine" and apparently pissed Nana off pretty good, since she'd already told everyone the other name. There wasn't a boy's name for me because my mom was sure I was a girl, and the reverse for my brother. My mom was wrong with #3, and the only name they had picked out was Michael Colin. My dad suggested Katie Ann, and my mom said she wasn't going to give her a nickname for a name, so she's Kathryn instead (and is called Katie, and hates her name in every form).

The list of names I like that have been rejected by my husband is very long. He won't budge on Liam no matter what. I feel like I should get veto power over naming anything that has been living inside my abdomen. He disagrees. I'm still working on it. Fortunately I'm not pregnant so this doesn't need to be decided imminently.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My parents were going to name me Lisa (a name I absolutely hate), but the nurse who was assisting my mom's doctor said that Lily was a much prettier name. I'm glad my parents agreed with her because I love my name and think it really suits me.

My partner and I really like the name Oren (the name of one of our best friends who is pretty much like family to us.) For a girl, we like Lana or Yael.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:00 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

My sister was going to be Blake (mum was convinced she was having a boy).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:19 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Kelly wrote:
My name was supposed to be Pamela Michelle. Luckily, at the last moment, my parents realized that when paired with my last name Smith, that gave me PMS as initials. So glad they realized this!

There's a lady in my parents' town with those initials, and she has her initials on her license plates. So every now and then you see a big SUV driving around town marked "PMS." It always makes me and my parents giggle.

birdsonawire wrote:
My partner and I really like the name Oren (the name of one of our best friends who is pretty much like family to us.) For a girl, we like Lana or Yael.

I love the name Yael. I had a class with a guy named Orin in college. He was kind of a jerk, but every time his name was called out during attendance, I thought "such a cool name!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:58 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

This is a great thread; I always love hearing what people are planning to call their upcoming babies! It is pretty overwhelming to think about the implications of giving someone the name they'll have for life: "Who steals my purse, steals trash, but he that filches from me my good name robs me of that which not enriches him and makes me poor indeed.” Or, as John Proctor puts it in The Crucible, "Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life!"

On the whole, I tend to favor traditional names, because they have a long history, and I like that sort of thing. My three boys are Christopher John, Evan Charles, and James Niclas (my ex is Swedish), so my unused list is really composed of girls names (if I'd had a fourth son, he would have been called William). So, in no particular order, these were on the inside track, with Margaret as the go-to middle name:

Elizabeth
Julia
Beatrice
Caroline
Emma
Emily
Jessamine

If I was a boy I'd have been David Charles, but in the circumstances my parents thought Dianne Elizabeth seemed more appropriate (it was supposed to be Diana, but they made a mistake on the birth certificate and my mother decided she liked it). When I was little, I always wished my parents had given me a more exotic name like Natasha, Theodosia, or Anastasia, but I eventually became reconciled, and now I hate it if someone misspells my name with one n, because that's not my name. (Remember when Anne Shirley tells Marilla her name is Cordelia? When she's finally forced to give her real name, she's very careful to specify that it's "Anne with an e...if you'll only call me Anne with an e, I shall try to reconcile myself to not being called Cordelia." That's me: I shall walk that ridgepole or perish in the attempt!)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:15 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I was pretty sure we were having a girl and that was a good thing, because we only came up with like 3 girl names but a slew of boy names so it was a bit easier...we went with Dahlia but the other names were Ella (I like the sound of it plus I'm a huge Ella Fitzgerald fan) which has turned out to be a big "hipster" baby name, and Lorelei, which was my absolute favorite but I feared years of people referencing Gilmore Girls (admittedly, I love GG to death but that name is also so mythical and pretty!). Dahlia was the happy medium, and I suggested Joan as the middle name because that was my bf's mom's name. I never met her because she died when he was 17 but I always felt like I wanted to pay homage to her for giving me her son, you know?
we finally narrowed down the long boys name list to Liam, and one of these days we are actually going to start trying for him! (although my bf realllllly wants us to have moved outta NYC before that happens)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:14 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Audrey wrote:
Lorelei, which was my absolute favorite but I feared years of people referencing Gilmore Girls (admittedly, I love GG to death but that name is also so mythical and pretty!).

I also briefly considered Lorelei if my first was a girl, but it's actually becoming REALLY popular (I assume because of GG). THEN, I even entertained the idea of naming a daughter after myself and potentially calling her Rory (I'm sick, I know). I probably could have also just called her Corrina because I have never gone by that.

I LOVE the name Jasper (and Kasper) but between Twilight and my husband insisting it sounded like the name of Civil War vet I could not get his blessing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next