| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Names you didn't use?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:15 pm 
protein lump

i was almost named sabrina. if i was a boy, i would have been nicholas, but my cousin got that instead.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Reno was pretty much always going to be named Reno. I don't think we had any alternatives at all. While I was in labor though my husband had second thoughts about her name and I nearly killed him. The name was his idea anyway!

We are always and I mean always fighting over boys names. I'd love if this next one was a boy but he would never be named so it would be better off being a girl.

My two favorite names since I was 18 have been Milo and Felix. Peter had vetoed Milo since we were 18. We are in our early/mid 30's now and he still vetoes it but I still bring it up. :) He likes Felix a lot but it's starting to become common and he has issues with the name now. I also love love love the name Eli but because we live so close to Giants Stadium he is concerned that people will think we named him after the Giants quarterback and Peter's a Jets fan so that won't fly. He's a nut job.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:47 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Who? wrote:
I didn't find out the sex of any of my kids, so had two names ready.
My daughter, Isobel, would have been Everett. My son James would have been Chloe. And my other son Ronin would have been Dahlia.

My youngest son is James, and I love Isobel, Dahlia, and Chloe (great minds, etc.)! In fact, my mother was so fond of the name Chloe that she suggested it every time I was pregnant, but in the event I had all boys; maybe it will get used for a pet some day!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Last edited by Desdemona on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Desdemona wrote:
In fact, my mother was so fond of the name Chloe so much that she suggested it every time I was pregnant, but in the event I had all boys; maybe it will get used for a pet some day!

I save names for pets. One of my cats is named Riley because I knew that my husband would never allow that name for a human child.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:59 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I love Chloe too! We were going to use Serafina as Luna's middle name, but decided against it last minute. We went with Charlotte instead. Now I wish we had gone with Serafina. We were also thinking about Ila or Isla as a first name (same name, just different spellings).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:03 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

JENNA wrote:
My two favorite names since I was 18 have been Milo and Felix.

Ha! Wanna guess my baby's name?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:04 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
JENNA wrote:
My two favorite names since I was 18 have been Milo and Felix.

Ha! Wanna guess my baby's name?

I'm so jealous!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:11 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Phoenix Cindy wrote:
I love Chloe too! We were going to use Serafina as Luna's middle name, but decided against it last minute. We went with Charlotte instead. Now I wish we had gone with Serafina. We were also thinking about Ila or Isla as a first name (same name, just different spellings).

I used to work with a girl named Serafina, and I always thought it was so lovely but she hated it.
Charlotte is also a beautiful name, though; maybe you can get a cat and name it Serafina (I bet she'll be the only one on the block!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:11 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Oh yeah, if he'd been a girl, the Emperor would have been Helena!

My favorite girl name is May, but if the Emperor someday has a lady sibling, we won't use it for a first name... having a Grey and a May is too much for me.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:16 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

JENNA wrote:
My two favorite names since I was 18 have been Milo and Felix. Peter had vetoed Milo since we were 18. We are in our early/mid 30's now and he still vetoes it but I still bring it up. :)

That's pretty funny. Andy and I decided when we started dating (18 and 19 years old) that we would name a boy Milo if we ever have one.

My parents named me Sasha after a Joan Baez song. I think the only other name they considered is my middle name, Dawn. Andy's father wanted to name him Sherman. I'm glad his mother vetoed it.

Last edited by sashi on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

sashi wrote:
Andy's father wanted to name him Sherman. I'm glad his mother vetoed it.

Having met you two before I can say that Andy is definitely not a Sherman.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:08 pm 
The creature from the Black Lagoon

FootFace wrote:
Spooky wrote:
My name is Rebecca. My mother wanted to call me Mariah, my dad was set on Anastasia. They saw the Alfred Hitchcock movie Rebecca shortly before I was born and were able to compromise on that.
I'm glad I didn't end up a Mariah.

What you should be glad about is that they hadn't watched Psycho instead.

Then I would have been what? Marion? Or what was her sister's name? Lila or Leila or something. I think it's cool I was named after a Hitchcock film, sort of laid the foundation for my little goth self.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:23 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

My mother almost named me Marie Antionette. Thank God she didn't. It was her grandmother's name. If I was a boy I would have been Luigi after my paternal grandfather.

Our boy name was Leo but I had a girl. If I have a boy in the future we will most likely use it. I had an uncle Leo that passed away a few years ago. I had a girl and her name is Violet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:23 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Spooky wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Spooky wrote:
My name is Rebecca. My mother wanted to call me Mariah, my dad was set on Anastasia. They saw the Alfred Hitchcock movie Rebecca shortly before I was born and were able to compromise on that.
I'm glad I didn't end up a Mariah.

What you should be glad about is that they hadn't watched Psycho instead.

Then I would have been what? Marion? Or what was her sister's name? Lila or Leila or something. I think it's cool I was named after a Hitchcock film, sort of laid the foundation for my little goth self.

Actually, you're named after an awesome Daphne du Maurier novel, by way of an awesome Hitchcock film; it just gets better! (I love the name Rebecca, but my last name is Berg, and "Rebecca Berg" is just too staccato; of course, since all my kids were boys, the point is moot!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:13 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

rabidchild wrote:
My dad suggested Katie Ann, and my mom said she wasn't going to give her a nickname for a name, so she's Kathryn instead (and is called Katie, and hates her name in every form).

Ha! My parents named me Katie because they knew they would never call me Katherine. I'm named after someone's grandma that I never met (maybe my mom's maternal grandma, but I forget).

If I had been a boy my name would have been David.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My name is Emmeline, and it was going to be that as long as I was a girl.

If I was a boy I would have been Henry or Harold (jacob would have been my middle name, my parents were well prepared)

my stepmother was thinking about naming my little sister sydney, but that name in conjunction with my last name would have made her sound like a 90 y/o rabbi.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:22 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

booberthefraggle wrote:
my stepmother was thinking about naming my little sister sydney, but that name in conjunction with my last name would have made her sound like a 90 y/o rabbi.

If my sister was a boy, our dad wanted to name her Hillel (Momma was not on board with this).

I would have been Alan if I was a boy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:32 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Ellen, Julia, Ellis, Rosemary, Linden, Lena, Elias, Grant, Clara

William I agreed to immediately after a very long labour. It was on the list but not agreed upon, but I realized it meant a lot to my husband to name his first son after his great-grandfather. If his last name was more common I would not have agreed (e.g. William Smith).

The other two were "baby" for a week while we tried different names on them. When the public health nurse came to visit me after #3 was born, she asked me his name, I pulled out the list, and she rolled her eyes.

My three-y.o. sister named me, my mother admitted sheepishly when I was a teen.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:42 am 
Level 7 Vegan

My dogs are Graeme and Eleanor. I like old names.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:19 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I'm Elaina Eve. My mom was all set to name me Summer until the nurse at the hospital told her I would be named after a douche.

Zora might have been a Lilah or Calista. Boy names were hard- all the ones I liked we had already given to dogs or horses: Kai, Finn, Jack.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:49 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

My mom wanted to name me Bronwyn or Gretel. My dad wanted Caitlin.
Neither of them got their way because now I'm Catherine.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:45 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Desdemona wrote:
It is pretty overwhelming to think about the implications of giving someone the name they'll have for life

Maybe it would be less overwhelming if you remind yourself that they can change it if they don't like the name or it doesn't fit them well?

I'm a little biased on this matter, given how badly my own parents flipped out when I started using a different name from the one they gave me, but I definitely think it's healthy for a parent to prepare yourself that your kid might not like the name you give them and it's not a personal insult if they choose a different one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:03 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Husband wanted Livi to be Ava Olivia and I wanted her to be Grace something or other so Olivia Grace she is. I had a big list of girl names. I don't generally like boy names.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:26 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

choirqueer wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
It is pretty overwhelming to think about the implications of giving someone the name they'll have for life

Maybe it would be less overwhelming if you remind yourself that they can change it if they don't like the name or it doesn't fit them well?

I'm a little biased on this matter, given how badly my own parents flipped out when I started using a different name from the one they gave me, but I definitely think it's healthy for a parent to prepare yourself that your kid might not like the name you give them and it's not a personal insult if they choose a different one.

Obviously, people might choose to change their given names (for whatever reason), but by and large, I daresay the majority of people stick with the one on their birth certificate. And even if they make a change as adults, chances are they'll be using the one bestowed by their parents for the duration of their childhood, so the choice of a child's name remains a big responsibility. (Of course, as Wodehouse so eloquently put it, "there's some rum work pulled round the font.") My kids and I have a long-running schtick, wherein they randomly ask me why I didn't call them something like Rutherford B. Tubbman-Vestibule, or Ebeneezer Ratcatcher, or Stinky McFeeterson, etc.; I always tell them that they have my permission to change it to those things whenever they please!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:49 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm Caeli, but my parents were playing around with variations on the spelling and similar names like Caela.

If I was a boy, I would have been Cameron.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next