| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: baby shower ideas that are not lame
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:31 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Wow - so on a whim I just offered to throw a "cloth diaper shower" for my friend. I have never thrown a shower in my life and am kind of a social phobic. WHAT WAS I THINKING? Help. Please. I need ideas and maybe a valium.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:24 am 
Nooch of Earl

Breathe!

Start by getting a guest list and figuring out how much you want to spend. With that you should get an idea of how much you can put towards food, space rental, etc. And then you can decide whether you want to do a meal, a dessert or cocktail party, or what. Think about the guests invited - multigenerational? do they know each other? what would they enjoy? Find out what dates would work for your friend. Think about whether you'd like to do a theme - sometimes you can start with one inspiration and go from there! For my friend's shower we started to design the invitations; I used some low-cost stock vector art and the one my friend like was sort of a teddy bear in the snow. It was baby-themed but also wintry (baby was due at the end of January), and the color scheme helped convey that we were going for gender neutral. With this in hand I decided to commission that teddy bear for a cake, and it turned out great.

Then with all this in hand, make a list of places to have it, food options, call to find out availability (or if it's somebody's home or whatever, work out whether there's anything to get ready). Order anything ahead that you need to - food, cake, drinks. Design or commission or order or print or whatever your paper items - invitations, menus, etc. Think about decorations, games, favors, prizes - none of it's mandatory! Have your friend register if she wants and be prepared to steer people to the registry.

Showers are kind of fun to plan because really you can do something nice on pretty much any budget or taste, it just kind of depends on what you like. If it's cake and punch in somebody's home, great, if it's a big lunch at a rented space that's fine too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:18 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks annak. I will be getting together with the mom-to-be this Saturday so I will ask he to bring a guest list and go from there. This will be fun. Yes, it will. I hope.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:14 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Don't mean to steal the thread, but had baby shower questions and didn't know if there was a separate baby shower thread...

Anyways. I just got the details on my baby shower thrown by MIL's friends. It is at dinner time at Italian restaurant. I'm very excited and so thankful for the shower, but I'm nervous about what I'll be able to eat there. The private party menus don't have any vegan friendly options listed (well unless I skip the "meat course" and only have pasta with mariana sauce), although the regular dinner menu has one or two that could work. Any suggestions on how to politely make sure there will be something I can eat that night, without seeming ungrateful to the planners? I'd hope I could sub out one of the restaurant meals for the catering meals. Would it be easier to contact the restaurant and just arrange for it ahead of time? Or do I contact the planners? I don't want them to think I'm being difficult or for it to reflect back on my MIL, but I don't want to seem like I'm going behind their backs either. I'm not good at speaking up :(

(full disclosure-I'm not 100% vegan, but nearly so, small ingredients at a restaurant I don't worry about-like if butter is used on the veggies-I'll deal, but I am pretty lactose intolerant at this point so the cheese ravioli or something is not an option unless I want to have some awful stomach pain as the night goes on)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:32 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this is your shower right now a shower you are going to???? i would say if it is in YOUR honor then you should absolutely have something to eat!
i dont think it seems ungrateful to bring it up because i would think it would be worse for you to go and not eat. :-/

i know you are not totally comfortable talking about being vegan with family and dont want to impose yourself upon people so maybe just try the allergy route? say that you havent been feeling great because of the pregnancy and would just like something with pasta and veggies (or whatever you are thinking would be good) and that you have a dairy allergy. i think that is certainly within reason for asking since it's FOR YOU. i would try the person who's planning it first rather than the restaurant and then if they are unsure/hesitant maybe offer to contact the restaurant yourself?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:54 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

at one shower, we played a game where you had to match the baby name with the celebrity, ex Apple/Gwynth Paltrow. I was done so fast and blew everyone away with my useless knowledge of celebrity baby names.
We did the onsie game and I had fun with it
and I love the idea of bringing books!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:16 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

LisaPunk wrote:
this is your shower right now a shower you are going to???? i would say if it is in YOUR honor then you should absolutely have something to eat!
i dont think it seems ungrateful to bring it up because i would think it would be worse for you to go and not eat. :-/

i know you are not totally comfortable talking about being vegan with family and dont want to impose yourself upon people so maybe just try the allergy route? say that you havent been feeling great because of the pregnancy and would just like something with pasta and veggies (or whatever you are thinking would be good) and that you have a dairy allergy. i think that is certainly within reason for asking since it's FOR YOU. i would try the person who's planning it first rather than the restaurant and then if they are unsure/hesitant maybe offer to contact the restaurant yourself?

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So the baby shower I am throwing is one week away - as nervous as I was/am I way procrastinated and basically have done nothing except think about what I want and make sure I had secured the location. It is very DIY.

So what I have planned is a "vegetable patch" sort of theme. I am in the process of making a very simple wall hanging of root vegetables to go behind the refreshment table - to tie in the whole "cloth diaper shower" sort of thing I have of the plants being a sort of cloth diaper plant (you know like a carrot except it is a diaper). Then for refreshments I will have all homemade foods - cupcakes with little fondant "sprouts", veggie cups with dip, fruit with dip, some of these fun looking "carrots" made out of bread and filled with "egg" salad that have a dill spear sticking out of the top, and a few "sweet fruits" like caramel grapes and chocolate covered strawberries.

Table decor is still a little up in the air, probably little vases of vegetable arrangements and some tiny felt veggies and felt cloth diapers I am making scattered about.

The invites asked that the presents be brought unwrapped and are to be hung on some clotheslines (the shower recipient said she didn't want to sit and open a bunch of cloth diapers while everyone boredly stared at her).

I am also setting up a little "photo booth" with a garden type theme and a handheld chalkboard that guests can write a little note to mommy and baby on and have their photo taken (I will make a shutterfly booklet album of the shower as a keepsake for mom).

We are playing some games too sadly. I really hate playing baby shower games, but the honoree wanted some so there we have it. We are doing the usual game where you get a clothespin and there are some forbidden words (probably baby, cute and diaper) and if you say the words someone takes your clothespin, as well as a pencil and paper game I haven't chosen (probably a word scramble or what do you call a baby duck sort of quiz), and lastly the game where there is a clothesline and the lucky participants hold a lifesize babydoll, and a phone on their shoulder and then hang as many baby clothes as they can in a minute.

Anyway. Really how does this sound. Nice? Not nice? Any great ideas or suggestions to change what I have planned or add anything I am missing. Oh I am planning to have the guests fill out envelopes with addresses for the thank you notes - that is nice and handy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:55 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This sounds awesome and fun. I love it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:17 am 
Nooch of Earl

You might check out Ikea's TORVA line for photo props, decorations, etc: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categ ... ies/21156/

Sounds like an awesome party!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:22 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Wow! I think that sounds amazing! I kinda like playing those goofy games as long as its not making fun of someone in the room. You should post pics of your root veggies. That sounds cute.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thank you guys for the encouraging words! '

annak - the TORVA line was acutually my inspiration - alas, I live nowhere near an Ikea and they ship only a very few things ( only the curtains and bedspread) from the Torva line. Also the shipping for ONE SHEET was $11 and that just burns my biscuits.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:04 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ouch! Well n/m then - IKEA is great for so many things but they really aren't set up to ship stuff, from what I can tell.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:33 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So my idea as prizes for the games was originally $5 starbucks giftcards. I just saw these cute little plastic carrot shaped snackbox things in the grocery store. The body of the carrot holds your snack and the top of the carrot holds your dip. They are $5. They would go with the whole "theme" but would people rather win a cup of coffee? I'm thinking they would. What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'd rather have coffee, but maybe you could dress up the gift cards like a carrot? Maybe orange tissue paper with green ribbon or something like that. The snack carrots sound cute too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:48 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah - after sleeping on it I think a free cup of fancy coffee is a better prize in most anyone's book! I like the idea to decorate up the gift cards though - hadn't thought of that!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The shower happened. I think it was a moderate success. I felt a little bad for the honoree though that although 17 people RSVP'd only 8 showed up. We had so much food leftover!