| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Slings/carriers/papooses..what do you recommend?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:54 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've been reading some reviews online, but my head is starting to spin. I'm only looking for something for the first 3-4 months probably, as then I can reassess as baby grows.

I'd really like something that I can get on and on myself. One of the ones I used with Baby G at work was really hard to get on, as she had to be in the carrier first and yeah...it was just a pain. If there's something really adjustable that'd be great too, as the man is 6'2"ish and slim, where as I'm about 6 inches shorter and have plenty of cushioning. right now.

Post subject: Re: Slings/carriers/papooses..what do you recommend?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:26 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks for posting on this! I am very interested in this also. I know in another thread Sashi said they did a workshop and got to try out a bunch which was great but even so, it was hard to know what Ada was going to like until she was actually there, and even then her preferences changed as she grew.

I have a Moby wrap for the early days, because I have heard such good things about it, and the lovely Mel gave us an ergo (thank you so much!) and the lovely Una gave us a beautiful Mei Tai (thank you!). I'm 4'11'' and my husband is 6'4" - we shouldn't have an issue with the strappy carriers (Moby, Mei Tai) but got extender straps for the Ergo, because it doesn't fit him without them.

I know Littlebear has a Peanutshell, and I saw an 8 day old baby in one and he looked so comfortable and adorable. I also seems really easy to put on, no fussing with straps etc. I've also heard great things about the Boba. And my sister swears by her Baby Bjorn (which I can find for $10 at the thriftstore here).

Moby;
Review

Ergo:
Review
I have seen reviews for the infant inserts saying that they are a bit too warm, but given we're having winter babies, I feel like that may be less of an issue.

Peanut Shell:
Info

Mei Tai;
Information
Their site says it can be used for newborns, but that many people opt to wait until baby's head is a little more stable. They have the prettiest fabric panels....

Last edited by Tofulish on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love my hotsling, which is like the peanut shell. It worked for so long and Silas was so comfy and secure it in. Super easy to get him in and out of. But it's not adjustable and my husband couldn't use it. He liked the mei tei, but needed me to help him get silas in & out. I also had a ring sling, that I found really helpful when silas got older and more active, when we were out nursing, i could cover him to distract him from all the other fun things he couldn't help but try to get up and watch :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:40 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I love my Hugamonkey sling! It's worked great for me and my little one since he was a newborn. A friend loaned me a Moby and I never got the hang of it. I know a lot of people love them, but it just didn't work for me, and I always wondered if it had to do with my weight (on the heavy side). I felt like my curves got in the way. Anyone else feel that way?

My husband definitely prefers the Bjorn. It makes him look a bit like Zack G(I'mnotgoingtoattempttospellhislastname) in The Hangover and people will stop to tell him, which used to really annoy him. I use it when I'm doing house stuff like cleaning and my son loves it!

I'd love to try an Ergo as I've never heard a bad thing about them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:35 am 
Married to the wolfman

I loved the Moby for very early days, I thought it was very forgiving to my squishy and lumpy post pregnancy body and very adjustable. And it was just so snuggly. I still whip it put sometimes if the Emperor doesn't feel good and wants to be on me while I want to be doing something else.

The downsides of the Moby: my husband basically refused to try it more than once, it does take a few tries to get used to it, and as your baby gets heavier it will start to sag. For most babies, the last isn't a problem if you're just looking for 3-4 months use. In my case it was because Grey was huge/gained very quickly. He had outgrown it by about 2 months.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:44 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I was able to use our mei tai from when we got home, around 1 month old. We loved that thing! Ours is an Eden Mei Tai - a company that has since gone out of business - but that you can sometimes find on ebay. It was made from velveteen, which was so warm, comfy, and made it very easy to secure (the fabric wouldn't slip while you were tying it).

The Ergo worked great when he got a bit older (and heavier!) That padding is wonderful. Now that he's a toddler, I've really been enjoying the Boba. It has footholds for his feet, which keep his legs from dangling, gives him more support, and is all around comfier for both of us. We never got the hang of the slings or the moby wrap - I just didn't feel that comfortable or safe with the sling, and the moby was a lot of work for me. The best thing to do is find a local friend who has a bunch of baby carriers, and try them out for yourself!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:58 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

love the peanutshell, no adjusting straps, it can fit in a diaper bag-when the kid is older a hip carry with it is nice. I have a gorgeous one that I can't get rid of even though those days are done for me. It has to fit the mother and I don't know anyone my size! Just be prepared for "helpful" people asking if your kid can breathe in it-there was a crappy version of it on the market that suffocated a few babies several years ago and one of the pouch style sling companies unrelated to it went out of business. My sister gave me the gorgeous one because she got sick of people screaming at her.
I had something like an ergo, a beco? it was more comfortable but a pain getting used to what goes where. Seems like men in my family had an easier time wearing the ergo thingie vs a sling. I have a rod in my back so I could never master the back carry with it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:20 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I never used my Moby, but I loved the HotSlings AP (same idea as the Peanut Shell). I used that the most when Inez was tiny - grocery shopping, outings, around the house. It was super easy to just pop her in and out.

We also have an Ergo and used that with the infant insert from the time she was a few days old. (And it's what I use exclusively now, sans insert.) I love it and find it really easy to get her in and out of (back carries are trickier, but you wouldn't be doing that for a long while). My husband definitely preferred the Ergo to any other options. I think because he felt like she was very secure in there, plus it's comfortable to wear. He's 6'3" and I'm 5'6" and the Ergo fits us both with no issues.

That mei tai in the picture looks so much better than the one I tried at a baby store, which had like one inch wide straps and seemed like it would be murderously uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:02 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I second the recommendation for a sling when they are very tiny, except I always felt a little worried that she was suffocating in there. Possibly I was wearing it wrong or it was improperly adjusted because she did seem to get kinda lost in there...but she LOVED it and would sleep in it forever.
I wanted to love the Moby wrap but I felt so insecure about my tying skills, it just didn't seem tight enough. However, I didn't give it enough of a chance so next time (hopefully) I plan on trying it earlier and being more confident! we ended up using the Bjorn a lot because she liked to face outwards from early on and her papa didn't mind wearing it at all.
when she outgrew that, I got a Beco Gemini and I love it...at first I had some problems doing the back carry but like in so many cases, it was all about me and my insecurity. I practiced doing it at home, wearing her while making risotto or something time-consuming, and that prepared me for a few times I took her out in the city by myself using it. My boyfriend, however, took one look at all the straps and things that would need to be adjusted (he's about 7 inches taller than me and skinnier) and refused to use it. Nowadays she wants to walk everywhere and that's fine, but any time we travel I plan on always bringing it because you never know when she'll get tired and want to be carried...I certainly am not going to hold her in my arms on the subway for instance, 'cause she is heavy and I am not super-strong in that area, but my boyfriend would rather do that than attempt to strap on the Beco haha.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:46 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I wish I had a wrap to recommend you, but instead I will just tell you that I don't love my Moby Wrap. It's okay, but just okay. When Lu was tiny it was comfortable, but now it's hot, annoying to get on and off, and sags like crazy. In order to get it tight enough, I fee like I'm squishing him, which increases the likelihood of having spit up in my cleavage. There's a visual for you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:51 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

BrokenBox wrote:
A friend loaned me a Moby and I never got the hang of it. I know a lot of people love them, but it just didn't work for me, and I always wondered if it had to do with my weight (on the heavy side). I felt like my curves got in the way. Anyone else feel that way?

I do feel that the Moby is probably a better fit for smaller folks. I'm plus size, and it rides up on me, and the knot sits right on my spine, which means I can't sit or drive in it. Not that I would drive with the babe in there, but it would be nice to already have it on when going somewhere. You should see me try to wrestle on a Moby in the supermarket parking lot while trying not to let it's yardage touch the ground. Funny stuff. But smaller people could wrap it so the knot would be in front.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:00 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Raspberry Swirl wrote:
BrokenBox wrote:
A friend loaned me a Moby and I never got the hang of it. I know a lot of people love them, but it just didn't work for me, and I always wondered if it had to do with my weight (on the heavy side). I felt like my curves got in the way. Anyone else feel that way?

I do feel that the Moby is probably a better fit for smaller folks. I'm plus size, and it rides up on me, and the knot sits right on my spine, which means I can't sit or drive in it. Not that I would drive with the babe in there, but it would be nice to already have it on when going somewhere. You should see me try to wrestle on a Moby in the supermarket parking lot while trying not to let it's yardage touch the ground. Funny stuff. But smaller people could wrap it so the knot would be in front.

Yes! It totally rode up on me! It never felt tight enough, because it would ride up to my high waist where i was smallest and then it didn’t feel snug enough. It seemed like a hassle to try to tie it all up. The sling I could just throw over my shoulder, pop him in and we were good to go. I’m glad I’m not the only one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:09 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We bought an Ergo (w/ heart 2 heart) and received a ring sling, peanut wrap (like a moby, but the peanut shell brand), and a peanut shell from a well-connected friend.

So far the only thing I've gotten to work is the wrap, and that's hit or miss. Sometimes she'll stay in it happily and even fall asleep for up to an hour, sometimes it'll cause a meltdown after 5 minutes. I figured out that it has to be tied higher than I originally thought (more like belly button than hip level), I found this video way more helpful than the moby wrap instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkXW6_D5 ... re=related

The peanut shell went on ok but it just felt like it forced my baby's chin down too much, and I didn't feel safe with it. Same with the ring sling when I tried it. Now that she's a little older I should give them another shot. The ergo seems nice but the heart 2 heart insert has been largely a failure. At first I thought it might be too hot (virginia summer baby), the thing is about as thick as a cotton comforter...but I took it to Chicago in colder weather a couple weeks ago and while it was fine for a few blocks, about halfway between Native Foods and Wrigley Field we had a meltdown. *sigh* I've heard these have to be adjusted just so, so again the problem may be my fault.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:39 pm 
Married to the wolfman

BrokenBox wrote:
I love my Hugamonkey sling! It's worked great for me and my little one since he was a newborn. A friend loaned me a Moby and I never got the hang of it. I know a lot of people love them, but it just didn't work for me, and I always wondered if it had to do with my weight (on the heavy side). I felt like my curves got in the way. Anyone else feel that way?

Oh, I am a curve-tastic lady even outside of pregnancy and even though I lost 24 lbs by a week after labor (what?!) I was still up 30 lbs and just fat all over with the Emperor. I really liked the Moby because I felt like it was more adjustable and less dig-inny than anything else I tried. I don't remember it riding up but this was years ago and those first few months are a pretty big blur for me.

We got the Ergo fairly early but I couldn't stand it until about 8 months because it really just made feel so forking fat. It dug in everywhere and the only place I've ever been able to put the waist strap even semi-comfortably is basically right under my ribcage/boobs. It still does not accentuate the positive about me physically but I'm way more comfortable in it than I was in the early days. (And over time, it has become a priceless object to me.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:56 pm 
Semen Strong

The Hugamonkey looks great and is pretty reasonable. I wouldn't buy it used though bc it was the subject of a recall in 2010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:35 pm 

I went to a class at a store that sells carriers and it was really fun trying on everything. My husband went with me, which was helpful so we could both find something we'd like. I feel more confident about safety, too, after practicing with experts. They had us practice getting the carriers on an off using a bag of rice as the baby. I would recommend a class if you can find one in your area.

I thought we would end up getting an ergo because everyone else seems to love them. I didn't love the buckles and reaching behind my back to clip them was annoying. We chose a mei tai (babyhawk) instead. I also got a wrap and a ring slig. The non stretchy wraps will last a lot longer than the stretchy ones like the moby as they are still supportive even when the baby is a lot heavier.

I wanted to have several options as I don't have a car and I walk everywhere. I don't want to struggle with a stroller on public transportation. Hopefully the baby will like at least one of these options!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We have a mobi, mei tai, ring sling and peanut shell. Peanut is the easiest and grey loves it. Anytime he is upset I put him in it and he calms down right away. My neighbor gave it to me and her daughter had the same reaction. There are two things I am not crazy about, one he is exposed to the sun so I bring a light receiving blanket to put over him and it is fleece, I get hot so easy and I worry that he is cooking inside of it. I am planning to get a cotton one as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:47 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I have the Bjorn active and the Sleepy Wrap http://www.sleepywrap.com/

I got the Bjorn because Daddy didn't want anything to do with the sleepy wrap, I guess the wraps aren't manly enough or something. We haven't used Bjorn yet but I have used Sleepy Wrap. It is very hot here this summer and I feel like it was a little toasty at times but I like how I can block the light out of her eyes with the newborn/infant wrap method and she seems really comfortable in it and sleeps well when I am carrying her. It is a lot like Moby wrap. It is super long fabric sling that you wrap around your body in different configurations. I think she will grow out of it but it's fine for me for the first few months. We'll just use the Bjorn after that when she is supporting her head better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:13 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

coldandsleepy wrote:
The downsides of the Moby: my husband basically refused to try it more than once, it does take a few tries to get used to it, and as your baby gets heavier it will start to sag.

It feels terribly insecure, and I don't trust my own knot-typing ability (at least for knots I want to be able to untie later. I can tie one badass bowline, the single most useful knot ever). I dunno, it was just weird. I didn't feel like I could move around much, even though I know you certainly did everything...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:19 pm 

Thanks for all the info..haven't read all through yet (was watching TV with the man..we've been hooked on The Killing and tonight was the season finale here).

Someone on a local site is selling one of these, a Babasling, that looks interesting too: http://www.thebabasling.com/products/baby-slings.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:25 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Has anyone tried Momo slings? V really wants to get me one...
http://momodesignhouse.com/010_BabySlingStor.html

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:47 pm 
Semen Strong

If my name were Momo, I'd buy their range of stuff! Plus its all so cute!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:56 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

As with so many baby things, you can gather recommendations from other parents, but you won't really know what works for your family until the babe is here. Walter and I loved our Moby when he was just a tiny bean (for like, 5 weeks), it was just so cosy and warm in winter and snuggly and he slept in it so peacefully. We are still using it at 9 months and 26 pounds, like this:

(not us in the picture)

We have a Boba that is great for times I need to carry him hands-free, though lately he prefers the Moby because he has more range of motion in it. I believe the only difference between the Boba and the Ergo is that the Boba has stirrups for toddler feet.

I wish we'd used a sling when he was tiny, I think it would have helped me get things done around the house, but he is too heavy now to wear on one shoulder.

My husband uses a kelty backpack, because it looks manly and all the metal feels sturdier to him than fabric.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have a Kelty backpack and love it. Kai will happily stay in it for hours. Just brought him apple picking in it last weekend. We didn't use that until he was older though. (I think 6 months or so)

When he was tiny we used a Babyhawk mei tai. I couldn't get him to stay in a sling-type carrier without crying at all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:20 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

The only thing I don't like about the Ergo is that I feel that the waist strap is pretty short. Now I'm not saying that I'm skinny in any sense of the term (US size 14), but I am at the VERY end of that freggin strap, and it's still digging in my sides. Let me tell you, as a freshly PPD-ailing new mother, this was the straw that broke the camel's back... and it still gets to me - seriously, there are parents out there that are bigger than a size 14! (there are, right? Right??)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next