| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Slings/carriers/papooses..what do you recommend?
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:49 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i have to look up the weight recommendations for the peanut shell as the box says newborn to whatever and i *think* it may have claimed it was ok for preemies but i went to put her in it once and then i was like "oh hell no this doesnt feel safe" it was just too much material.

maybe i wasnt using it right.....

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:03 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

do you have any babywearing groups around you? having someone experienced show you how to use it is really valuable, especially for a smaller baby like charlotte. a woven sling (not stretchy like a moby) is often cooler too, as is a linen or cotton ring sling.

with a baby as light as charlotte, you can probably get away with a much lighter weight fabric than a heavier baby would need, so you can even go to a fabric store and chose your own fabric, either a lighter weight jersey (t-shirt material) or a light weight woven. you need about 5 yards about 25 inches wide. it won't last you long, as once she hits 10-15 lbs a fabric not meant for baby carrying won't adequately support her weight, but by then you can probably switch to a soft structured carrier like the boba or ergo.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:06 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

what you wear underneath is important too. nothing too tight around the armpits, and breathable. having a light layer of cotton in between your chest and her head really helps with the sweaty hot feeling, as does dressing her very lightly or not at all. i would have her in a diaper and nothing else, resting on top of your light weight t shirt or tank top, with a cotton washcloth under her head.

if you will need to take her out of the carrier while you're out and worry about getting her cold, then a little onesie and socks at most.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im not sure how to describe it (because i havent been yet) but we have a baby "place" nearby that does baby and pregnancy related classes, has a drop in breastfeeding group, and i think do baby wearing presentations.
ive been meaning to go to the bf group. i was gonna go today cause i thought it was at 1 but i saw on facebook it was at 10 and i was at the eye dr til like 9:45 so i missed it today :-P

i can probably ask them. maybe if i ever get my asparagus there to the bf group i can bring my peanut sling.

thanks for the tips!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

For summer I liked my linen ring sling. Also a mei tai carrier is naturally less fabric wrapped around you so that is also good.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:16 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Anyone have a babywearing coat?

I'm contemplating getting something like this

but would be keen to hear any reviews/likes/dislikes!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:30 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

what are your temps like where you are?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:33 pm 
Married to the wolfman

This winter and last, I just wore one of my husband's large man sized coats and zipped it up over M and myself so that just his head poked out. Not quite as stylin', but it got the job done.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Does anyone need a stretchy baby wrap? I have a Cuddly Wrap (organic, Canadian brand of.. Moby(?) wrap thing. Really soft and comfy!) I know it's pretty much summer for all of the North American PPKers, so a wrap is probably a bit warm for lots of us. Anyway, if any mums or mums-to-be are looking for a wrap, I'd love to pass it along!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:20 pm 
Chip Strong

I had a really warm maternity coat that I got at a consignment store and I kept it and used it through the whole winter after Scarlett was born as a baby-wearing coat. It was awesome! The only problem was that Scarlett was such a chunker that wearing her in the front got really heavy really fast.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:26 pm 
Semen Strong

Definitely get one you can do back carries in! Mine isn't nearly as pretty as yours, but it works for front and back carries and was great for cold dog walks last winter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:46 am 

littlebird wrote:
what are your temps like where you are?

At the moment it's still around 13 degrees [55F ?] most days, but will get down to more like 5 [40F] - so not cold cold, but cold enough to want something warm to wear! ...though I probably now sound like a giant baby compared to your actual Winter temperatures!!

coldandsleepy wrote:
This winter and last, I just wore one of my husband's large man sized coats and zipped it up over M and myself so that just his head poked out. Not quite as stylin', but it got the job done.

My husband has no decent jacket/coat, and nothing I have will fit over my lump of a baby! I was only ~5 months pregnant at the end of last Winter so I didn't have to get any larger/maternity coats.

Tofulish wrote:
Definitely get one you can do back carries in! Mine isn't nearly as pretty as yours, but it works for front and back carries and was great for cold dog walks last winter.

That coat I linked is reversible for front and back, that's one of the things I liked [other than being one of very few such items available here!] even though I haven't yet back-carried her, I see that being not too distantly in our future...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:39 am 
Bathes in Braggs

ok, well, i think that something like you posted will work great. if you have the money for it, it's not a bad purchase. however, in temps like you're talking, then I personally wouldn't bother... baby will stay plenty warm in regular outdoor wear with a hat and legwarmers. i also really like baby carrier covers for milder temps. i have one that i made, but there are a few kids available commercially. for milder temps, a baby carrier cover is more adaptable, since you can wear whatever weight layers you want on yourself, but still keep baby warmer. i used my carrier cover with a fleece for myself, and booties/hat and regular clothing for the baby and we were toasty for the whole spring (15C-3C on average).

anyway, i had a babywearing coat with T, and didn't bother with L. she was tiny enough to zip under my regular winter jacket for the coldest months, and then i used the carrier cover for the spring, and will again next winter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:26 pm 

Thanks! I know it's not really super necessary, but it's as much because I don't think I would really wear her over my own coats, and the only breastfeeding clothes I own are singlets, so I get cold on chillier days!
Also, it's my 30th birthday soon and my parents wanted to get me something special but I can't think of anything I want, so my mum suggested one of these. I don't think I would have even thought about it on my own!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Today I wore my Ergo in the back carry position for the first time and WOW - can you say "muffin-top"?!!! I know it is all vanity, but I could hardly enjoy the walk with the ginormous bulge that is my stomach sticking out under and over the strap... is there a remedy for this (other then exercise). I had been feeling pretty good about my post-baby body until this...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:50 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

You can wear it lower. It should sit on your hips, not above. It's hard when the baby is smaller because you tend to want to seat them higher, but that carrier is meant to fit firmly around the top part of your pelvis. Using the bones to support it should eliminate some of that tummy roll.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:47 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I'm 25 or so pounds under my pre baby weight and the ergo still makes me feel fat. Up til fairly recently, people would seriously ask me when I was due with my "next" when wearing it. I don't look like that normally!

Wearing it lower on the hips does make it somewhat less bad for me (but I also think it's less comfortable). My other kind of silly trick is that I tend to pull my tshirt out so it hangs over the belt. It probably looks ridiculous but it makes me feel less self conscious.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:58 pm 

Has anyone got a Tula? I think we've scrapped the coat idea [as it's now 2/3 of the way through Winter and haven't needed it] but I've been trying out soft structured carriers for back carries etc.

I borrowed a Tula from our babywearing group and we both liked it

but I hear a lot more about Manducas, and there's a site with old style Manducas reduced at the moment, making them $80 cheaper than the Tula [even if they are less pretty!]

I'm thinking I'll try a Manduca next week anyway and wait till after then to make a decision, but just interested if anyone has tried both and had a preference?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:08 pm 
Semen Strong

My stepsister is in the UK and Austria and LOVES her Manduca which she used until her last baby was nearly 3. I would have bought one just because of this but they are not sold in the US because Ergo has threatened to sue them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:34 pm 

oh wow I had no idea they weren't available in the US! Probably a silly question to ask, then!

The usable till nearly-3 part is great to hear though, because I would really like to get one carrier that will see me through as long as possible. I tried on a Beco Gemini and found it comfy but the base was narrower than the Tula [which made it easier to get my six month old into, but I thought would make it less useful long term]. The fact that the Tula comes in a standard and 'toddler' size had me a bit worried the standard one won't last so long, and I like the extendable back in the Manduca... haha I think I've convinced myself, just hard to give up the gorgeous patterns the Tula comes in!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:13 pm 
Semen Strong

You and Westiebaby look supercute and happy in the Tula :)

Have you gotten any feedback from your babywearers group as to which is a better fit for you? And do you have swap boards? We have a very brisk trade in used carriers, which sell at a small discount, so you could buy the Tula if you like it and then resell it and buy the toddler size once WB needs that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:25 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

We got a Manduca when F. was little and we are still wearing it. Mostly when we're out around her nap time. (She is 21 months now. She never naps in the buggy but naps in the carrier.) They are very popular in Germany and we got ours for cheap on ebay. (Second hand) you can get winter bags for them so you don't need a special coat. I never bothered and just told my partner to wear her during winter as his jacket was big enough for that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:28 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

my friend has a tula and LOOOVES it. but she still uses her ergo for the 8 month old... she says it's great for her 3 year old though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:14 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
Have you gotten any feedback from your babywearers group as to which is a better fit for you? And do you have swap boards? We have a very brisk trade in used carriers, which sell at a small discount, so you could buy the Tula if you like it and then resell it and buy the toddler size once WB needs that.

I have recently joined a New Zealand babywearing marketplace group, so that will be my go-to if we want to sell, but I fear it will have the opposite effect of enabling me to buy more carriers as there are some simply stunning woven wraps that I now can't wait to try!!

We borrowed a Manduca last week, took Westiebaby for a walk the next day and she was asleep on my back within 10 minutes from home and stayed zonked out for at least 45 minutes. I call that the baby seal of approval, so we ordered our own.

We're both pretty happy with it! I like that the straps can be crossed over at the back when front-carrying, and that the sleep hood folds away rather than dangling around when not in use.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That looks awesome!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next