| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Slings/carriers/papooses..what do you recommend?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:25 pm 
Inflexitarian

I help run our local babywearing group and definitely you can wear from day one.
I predominantly use wovens and love love love them, I don't think it's an insurmountable learning curve, and there are some poppable/pre-tied carries you can learn to make it a bit easier [one of the big advantages of a stretchy wrap, being able to tie and pop baby in and out all day].
I do drive, but never took my carseat out of the car [I still don't really understand why this is seen as such an handy thing to do, they're so bulky/awkward to carry!!] and have used my pram/stroller maybe half a dozen times in 2 years, but that's just because I feel bad not using it, could easily have gotten away without having one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

here's me and BabyPunk the day after we came home from the hospital so that makes her like 3 days old in this pic and only 5 lbs!!

i used the Moby for months and months with her. i almost never used a stroller except in the middle of the summer when we were going for walks outside because it was so damned hot. i wore her all the time otherwise (in stores, etc). the Moby is like epic amounts of fabric and a bit daunting at the start but once you figure it out it's really not that big of a deal.

i eventually just got tired of all the fabric and wanted something i could just pop her into and clip on and be done with it and i LOVE LOVE LOVE my ergo which is what i got after the moby and i much prefer it. the Moby i would say is a bit more snuggly but the ergo has worked great for us since she got older. i got it after she was able to hold her head up on her own so i never got the newborn insert which they sell seperately but she was technically not heavy enough for me to be using it without the insert so i shoved a blanket under her butt on the advice of other ppkers and it worked just fine.

as everyone else said with the newborns you just want to make sure they can breathe since they dont have head or neck control. the Moby came with some tips on making sure their head was in the right position. both carriers had videos online on how to use it.

i also like the ergo because now i can put her on my back (MUCH easier when you have another person around to put her in but i can manage by myself at home by laying on the bed)

taking a stroller on public transportation sounds like living hell. im sure people manage all the time but it sounds stressful. baby wearing is so super easy and you have both hands free! (though to be honest when BP was an infant and she was in the Moby i also always had one hand behind her head out of pure paranoia)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:14 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Thanks you guys! You're totally making me think that I can do this!

There is a local babywearing FB group where people post used wovens all of the time for sale so I'm waiting for one to come up that I love. What is the best way to practice wrapping without an actual baby? Should I go get a doll?

Again, I don't know why I'm stressing about this when I'm not even 9 weeks, but there you go.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:16 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, you should be fine in a woven, as long as you're front carrying. The Moby is superawesome and comfy and so incredibly easy to use (and you can buy them for $45 or so), so its a great investment for that period where you're just getting comfortable with a woven. I had L in a Moby pretty much non-stop for her first 5 months, even around the house. You can also use an SSC with an insert (L outgrew the insert by 3 months) or a rolled up towel to "froggy" their legs.

As long as their faces are clear and they can breathe there isn't an issue. The only carriers I've heard that you should be careful with NBs for, are ringslings, because the baby can slip and end up suffocating, but that can be avoided by carefully positioning and monitoring your baby. http://www.sleepingbaby.net/safety.php

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i practiced tying the moby a few times because it's quite the adventure until you get it down pat and i did it with either nothing or then i used a stuffed bear but i dont think there is much substitute for a real live newborn.

the first several times just make sure you have someone to help you mostly because you will be crazy nervous.
i remember the first time i went to the grocery store by myself with her i almost had a heart attack in the parking lot doing it. it's just the new mom nerves and that's really all.

this is probably stupid to even bring up because it seems so obvious but it literally didnt occur to me for months that i should tie the moby on myself at home and THEN get in the car to go whereever rather than putting the moby in the car then trying to put it on in a parking lot.

i think you said you dont have a car so that probably doesnt even apply >_<

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:11 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Someone lent me a size 4 wrap to try out! I'm pretty excited. I see a few of you like to wrap - what are your favorite carries that can be done with a size 4? (11 month old baby).

also - if wrapping doesn't work for us I am looking for a carrier a little cooler for summer. I have an Ergo and am already roasting in it. I saw the lillebaby airflow was only sale for $85 and then the Ergo has a sport/breathable model too. Anybody have these or tried them and can give a little review? I have found some reviews on like expressing lille love but I always like to hear from someone I "know"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:40 am 
Inflexitarian

I looooove my size 4! FWCC [tied under bum if you need to/don't quite have enough length], double hammock tied at shoulder/wendy's double hammock, Christina's ruckless, or a good old ruck tied tibetan.
Holy moly carriers are cheap there compared to here, you'd never get an SSC for under $150 here and that would be a steal! I'm not a fan of ergo, but haven't personally used the Lillebaby so not much help, sorry!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:39 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks for the suggestions OWW! I am practicing with a teddy bear since my baby is a wiggle worm.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:05 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I practiced with a bag of rice so I would have the weight.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:13 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I have an older Ergo performance, and while it is a bit cooler than the original Ergo, it's not a big difference to me. We have warm and dry summers here rather than hot and humid, so I'm not the best tester of how cool a carrier is.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:35 pm 
Inflexitarian

Love the bag of rice suggestion, the weight is both more realistic and actually makes certain things about wrapping easier.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:39 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Oh that is a good idea! I'll have to pick up some rice. I have a few wraps to practice with but no baby and my cats aren't willing stand ins...

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16