| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Slings/carriers/papooses..what do you recommend?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:24 pm 
Married to the wolfman

flavabean wrote:
The only thing I don't like about the Ergo is that I feel that the waist strap is pretty short. Now I'm not saying that I'm skinny in any sense of the term (US size 14), but I am at the VERY end of that freggin strap

It seriously gladdens my heart to hear this complaint from someone else. I thought it was oooonly me.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:37 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ditto. I actually Googled something like "slings plus size" the other day. I hope that I'll be able to exercise some of my extra weight away, but I'm sure it might take awhile (especially in the cold of winter).

mittenmacher, do you find that Walter can get out of the Moby? I was looking at some video of Mobys re: backwrapping and this was one of the concerns. Obviously, I wouldn't have to worry about that for awhile though. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:47 am 
Tofu Pup

I had a hotslings pouch sling and a moby wrap. I loved both of them for different reasons. I loved the pouch because it was quick and easy to get on and pop baby in, but the moby distributed baby's weight more evenly across my back. I didn't have many problems with the moby getting saggy, but I always wrapped it super tight before I put her in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:54 am 
Level 7 Vegan

refinnej wrote:
mittenmacher, do you find that Walter can get out of the Moby? I was looking at some video of Mobys re: backwrapping and this was one of the concerns. Obviously, I wouldn't have to worry about that for awhile though. :)

I don't wrap him on my back because I'm not that coordinated. He likes to ride with his arms out and I suppose he could lean backwards and throw his weight back and fall out if I was not paying attention, but I always keep a hand on him when he's in the Moby. It's better for when we're just walking around downtown; if I need both my hands I put him in the Boba because he's secure in that (also why he does not prefer it).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

coldandsleepy wrote:
flavabean wrote:
The only thing I don't like about the Ergo is that I feel that the waist strap is pretty short. Now I'm not saying that I'm skinny in any sense of the term (US size 14), but I am at the VERY end of that freggin strap

It seriously gladdens my heart to hear this complaint from someone else. I thought it was oooonly me.

hey guys? my bff is bigger than that and she went the diy route and loved it. she found something online teaching her how to wrap a few yards of secure fabric into a few different really cool ways. if anyone is interested, I can see if she still remembers where she found the info.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:02 am 
Married to the wolfman

Kelly wrote:
hey guys? my bff is bigger than that and she went the diy route and loved it. she found something online teaching her how to wrap a few yards of secure fabric into a few different really cool ways. if anyone is interested, I can see if she still remembers where she found the info.

Oh, I had a couple of woven wraps (two homemade by a friend, one homemade by myself) between the Moby and the Ergo and loved that-- more supportive than the Moby, more flattering & comfortable than the Ergo. I could never get back carries figured out well enough with it to do them by myself, which was key for me once he got past a certain weight... which is why I moved on to the Ergo.

I do think wraps are just about number one for adjustability, and a homemade woven wrap (made out of any sturdy woven material) can be one of the most affordable options too. My favorite woven wrap was made by a friend out of fabric she got at a yard sale for like $2... she just surged the edges of it et voila.

I just wouldn't recommend a woven wrap over a stretchy wrap (like a Moby or a Sleepy or a what have you) for right after you've had your first baby because you have to be pretty precise when you tie them-- since they don't stretch, they're not as forgiving as stretchy wraps that way.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:25 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i loved the moby for the first few months. i was always able to wrap it pretty tight myself, knot on the side (so i can sit without it on my back). i wonder if some people who had it ride up were tying it a bit too low. i always had it tied around my natural waist, and then when the baby gets in it sinks lower.

when they were infants i just couldn't figure out how to put them in a sling such that they felt secure or supported. this time around i tried it again when my son was a few months older and could kind of be sat upright. i much prefer it for bigger babies.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:32 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I do think I was tying the Moby too low. Oh well. Maybe I'll try again when we have baby deuce.

I'd never heard about the short straps on the Ergo, but most of my friends are a lot smaller than I am. I'm about a size 16US so I doubt it would work for me ar all. Bummer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:59 am 
Semen Strong

BrokenBox wrote:
I'd never heard about the short straps on the Ergo, but most of my friends are a lot smaller than I am. I'm about a size 16US so I doubt it would work for me ar all. Bummer.

They have extenders! Otherwise my husband could never wear the ergo. He's definitely bigger than a woman's 16 US ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:07 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Thanks
Tofulish! I'll look into it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:47 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Tofulish wrote:
BrokenBox wrote:

They have extenders! Otherwise my husband could never wear the ergo. He's definitely bigger than a woman's 16 US ;)

It's true! I definitely would have gotten an extender, but I just find myself using the Boba more often. Seriously, look into the Boba - it has the same padding but with a nice loooooong waist strap. You'll feel so svelte, it's amazing. (and I swear it's lighter too!)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:18 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

just a little babywearing PSA: don't do back carries in a stretchy wrap!! the fabric is not supportive enough for that and your baby can fall. also, tofulish, the pic that you posted on the first page of the pouch shows a less than stellar position for the little baby. pouches and slings need to be used especially carefully for the first 3 months or so when newbies have no head control and tiny airways. the baby should always be in a position that he would be in if you were carrying in arms (so, not as low as the picture shows) and with a space between chin and chest (not curled in), to protect the airways.

right now, with an 18 month old, we are LOOOOOOVING the boba. i tried the ergo original on and just didn't like the cut. the seat for the baby is also very short in height and not as roomy as the boba. i know a few people have problems with their mobile babies and toddlers arching out the top of the seat (not dangerous, but can throw your balance off). i also tried the ergo performance and ergo sport, and they have a much better cut than the original, plus some great new features, but the boba is a bit cheaper. anyway, for a toddler and older baby, i am a big fan of soft structured carriers for their ease of use and sturdiness.

for younger babies and newborns i really liked a sling and a mei tai. the mei tai is a bit more adjustable than a structured carrier for babies with smaller bodies and less head control, and a sling is so easy to pop on and off, which is great for that period where it feels like you're changing, feeding, changing, feeding ninety gabillion times a day. also really good for popping into the store for a moment! slings lose some of their usefulness when baby gets a bit heavier, but are definitely worth having for their affordability, compact size, and versatility. it does take a lot of practice to get a newborn situated comfortably in a sling. with my next, i think i'll have it down pat, as i've been able to practice on other people's kids ... i never figured it out with my own newborn. it's probably the perfect carrier for a newborn though, if you can get it fitted right (tummy to tummy is safer and easier to use than cradle style).

wraps i'm still torn on. i have three, a stretchy wrap i made myself, and two european style woven wraps that cost and arm and a leg. i really liked my stretchy wrap for like 2 months, but it is a looooot of fabric and kind of fussy to carry around. and it's basically useless after baby hits a certain weight. my woven wraps are SO comfy and supportive and they are perfect for back carries and front carries. but again, they are bulky to carry around and intimidating to learn, let alone put on by yourself in the middle of a parking lot. once i got my boba, i really never looked back. if you're really into baby carriers, they are a fun addition, especially if you find that you are one of the people that a structured carrier doesn't fit properly.

i think an absolute minimal baby carrier stash is a good quality sling (made with a soft, but sturdy woven fabric) and a structured carrier like a boba, ergo performance or similar. the stretchy wrap is worth having for the first few weeks but is super easy to make on your own (mine was about $3 worth of on sale jersey knit, cut to about 30 inches wide and 14 feet long, with tapered ends). the boba can be used by 15 lbs, so by the time they've out grown the stretchy wrap.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:57 am 

littlebird wrote:
just a little babywearing PSA: don't do back carries in a stretchy wrap!! the fabric is not supportive enough for that and your baby can fall. also, tofulish, the pic that you posted on the first page of the pouch shows a less than stellar position for the little baby. pouches and slings need to be used especially carefully for the first 3 months or so when newbies have no head control and tiny airways. the baby should always be in a position that he would be in if you were carrying in arms (so, not as low as the picture shows) and with a space between chin and chest (not curled in), to protect the airways.

An easy way to check if baby is too low: you should be able to kiss the top of her head.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:48 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I need to stop reading baby stuff threads... it makes me want to start buying stuff!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:33 pm 

Heh. I had a sort of personal rule that I couldn't buy anything..not a book or magazine, nothing until we had the first scan. I never realized how superstitious I could be. Even now, I was telling that man that I continually have dreams where I find out I'm not pregnant (like 2,3 times a week probably). Fortunately the little alien moves around a lot so I come back to reality after just a few minutes :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just want to thank everyone for all this great information. Right now I will have a moby. I already know my dad bought me one. I was going to get two to switch out if it got dirty and needed to go in the wash but now I deided I should only get one because it won't last long and they are expensive. Even a used one is 25 around here.

I might get a sling if I can find one used just for ease while we are out since I won't have an infant seat, just a convertible. I am thinking if he is born late Oct/early Nov that I can always ask for an ergo or boba for xmas from one of the grandparents if I don't find a cheap used one by then since our budget will be really tight but I know I will want one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:17 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

rabidchild wrote:
I need to stop reading baby stuff threads... it makes me want to start buying stuff!!

I hate shopping, and am incredibly stingy. But buying baby stuff is too much fun. So much cute stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:55 pm 
Semen Strong

And if you hit consignment stores, you don't feel the pinch as bad! I got the cutest Jelly Bean sling in this fabric (Coco Rose)

for $15! Its $50 at Amazon http://thebabysling.info/?s=Jelly+Bean+Reversible+Sling (in fairness you can definitely find it cheap on eBay, Target etc etc too)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:16 pm 
Semen Strong

This is a really complete Consumer Report on baby carriers: http://www.consumersearch.com/baby-carriers/baby-slings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:16 am 

There's a similar site for the UK: http://www.which.co.uk/baby-and-child/b ... y-carrier/

At Baby G's birthday party this weekend, one of the moms (who is German) was recommended the Manduca http://www.manduca-baby-carrier.eu/. She said it's a lot like the Ergo ones, but very comfortable and she and hubby even still use it occasionally for their three year old!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:33 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just got an over the shoulder baby holder from a consignment shop. My babywearing shopping before he is born is now complete! My partner keeps making fun of me because of how obcessed with slings and carriers I am.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:47 pm 
Semen Strong

The people at the consignment store I bought my sling at suggested trying carriers out with bags of flour to make sure there is enough room for the baby :) I am going to feel very silly practicing with my Moby and a bag of AP flour ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:14 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I wore Lorelei in the Sleepy Wrap all over Tokyo for the past 3 days and she loved it, slept most of the time.

www.flicker.com/photos/dragonssister - I posted about 10 photos wearing her in it from my trip.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:24 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I wore the sleepy wrap moby thing tonight and went on the swings and was able to breastfeed walking around town! It was great!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:18 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Tofulish wrote:
The people at the consignment store I bought my sling at suggested trying carriers out with bags of flour to make sure there is enough room for the baby :) I am going to feel very silly practicing with my Moby and a bag of AP flour ;)

Better the flour than your cat. (Not saying that I tried it, buuuut........)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next