| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Slings/carriers/papooses..what do you recommend?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:05 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

That is cute. I've only ever seen sorta brown, boring Manducas.

We ordered a Beco that's coming next week. It's the same (Butterfly) as the one that got lost in my luggage, so I'm hoping that the Bean will still go for it even though we haven't used a carrier in like 2 months!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:14 am 
Semen Strong

That is supercute! Love the picture too - you both look very happy!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

What a sweet picture! Glad you found a carrier you both like!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:49 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok i have to upgrade from the moby wrap. i cant handle it anymore. i had a really frustrating morning with the Punklet and i think i need something more solid.

im thinking an Ergo but i dont know which one or if that's the right one for me.

here's some features i am interesting in. not sure if they are all available in one magical carrier:

not super hot to wear
can strap baby in multiple ways (chest facing, front facing, on your back)
has a small pocket somewhere for keys and cell phone
has something to cover the baby in bad weather
is for sturdy than the moby so i can actually be hands free rather than trying to keep her from like leaning out or standing up

i dont need any infant insert thingy anymore as she has good head control now

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Do you belong to a local babywearing group? They should be able to let you borrow a few carriers and see what works best for you and BabyPunk.

The ergo is great - I loved ours until L was about 1 and then she developed the habit of trying to throw herself backwards out of it, and then we switched to a Kinderpack with a higher back.

I also really love my mei tai, which has served me well all the way from tiny to now. And those come with beautiful custom patterns. We just broke ours again, because we were walking a sunflower maze and I didn't want to take a stroller or a bulky carrier, bc L was in and out of it for stretches at a time, and it was great.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Do you belong to a local babywearing group? They should be able to let you borrow a few carriers and see what works best for you and BabyPunk.

The ergo is great - I loved ours until L was about 1 and then she developed the habit of trying to throw herself backwards out of it, and then we switched to a Kinderpack with a higher back.

I also really love my mei tai, which has served me well all the way from tiny to now. And those come with beautiful custom patterns. We just broke ours again, because we were walking a sunflower maze and I didn't want to take a stroller or a bulky carrier, bc L was in and out of it for stretches at a time, and it was great.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:11 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have an Ergo - I find it to be very warm, but I do live in Florida. When we wear it out we both are drenched in sweat but it isn't as warm as my moby was because you have one side of you "open" to the air. I do think it is "sturdy" feeling, easy to put on and adjust, can be worn on the front (facing chest only), on the back, or side-carry (which is my favorite). It has a nice pocket and you can also buy a little matching back pack thing that can attach to the carrier or be used separately which can be kind of a small diaper bag. Altogether I like it and would recommend :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:37 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think im gonna go with the Ergo. the price seems to be worth it based on what people think of it.

any big differences between the different ones? which specific one should i get? i hate reading reviews and researching stuff :-P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:47 pm 

I thought I wanted an ergo until I tried on different brands to compare. If you have an opportunity to try on different brands it might be worth it for you. They all have a different fit which may or may not work for you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:53 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Thirding that going to a babywearing meeting should be super helpful for you to get an idea of the different carriers and what works for you both.

Also, I still use our Moby sometimes [at ~20lb] and used it full-time till around ~16lb [I think!] so you should definitely be able to tie it supportively enough for the Punklet! I was surprised just how tight I had to tie it when I started using it, I didn't think there would be room for Westiebaby, but she always fits and is super secure, I never have to have my hands on her [unless I want a cuddle, of course!]

refinnej wrote:
That is cute. I've only ever seen sorta brown, boring Manducas.

It's a black boring one, with a rainbow zip-in, totally unnecessary and for aesthetic purposes only, but I love it! hehe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Seconding about the Moby! (wow, OWW, 20 lbs already! Go WestieBaby!) We still use ours a lot and tiny wu is approaching 17 lbs.

refinnej, did you get the new Beco yet? How do you like it? I'm considering another carrier--Mr. Scandi would like one that is less "fiddly"-- and that's one on our list to try, if possible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:32 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Posted that last reply before finishing my thoughts--

The Moby is super handy for us because tiny wu can go in and out of it without me having to take it off, and she can nurse without me taking it off. That's really helpful for longer outings, or for fussy days at home. Also, right around 5 months I changed the way I tie it to feel more secure, so you might want to try experimenting a bit now that BabyPunk is bigger and more wiggly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:03 am 

Ah, I was just coming here to ask some Beco advice (my computer's been dead for a few days). It came and we got it on with not much fuss, but it seems pretty low on the bean's back. I don't feel like she can fall out of it at all, but it doesn't feel super secure either (not sure I'm explaining that well). It's about in the small of her back....is that normal for buckle carriers? I coulda sworn the one we had before was bigger.

@sv, I wore the first one, the one borrowed from the sling library, several times and liked it. It's a little bit fiddly for back carries, I think, but probably less so than other buckle carriers, since there's an extra bit in there, so baby is in a sorta loose backpack (there's a piece of fabric between baby and parent). I think the only hard bit with a front carry would be the top strap, the one that goes across your shoulder blades. I know one mom who connected it and then put the carrier on like a t-shirt. I find it pretty comfortable though, which is not easy given my weight and Freya's size.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:51 pm 

From a FB group I'm on:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Uh, that's pretty much the best thing ever.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:24 pm 

Also...what do y'all use to carry your stuff in when you are doing back carries? One of my acquaintances here just posted awhile ago about a new messenger-style kind of bag that she's going to use to this end. We've been using a backpack for our stuff, but F's getting more into carries and I'd like to take the buggy less as she walks much of the time now. If we're just running to the grocery store, I can put some stuff in a purse/bag but many days, we have fairly long excursions in the morning, so then I need lots of kit (2-3 nappies, wipes, butt cream, change of clothes, snacks, water bottle, a couple of books maybe for the bus, bump cream, sun cream). Plus, my own stuff (wallet, keys, phone, my own water bottle, etc). When we go to the pool..yikes!

Is it unvegan to buy a burro? I'll feed him real nice. :p

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

If I carry a lot of stuff, I carry a messenger bag. If it's not much stuff, I either carry a tote bag (like a reusable grocery bag) or just stuff my little tidbits (diaper, keys, etc) into the pocket on the ergo.

When we go to the beach, I carry both a messenger bag (clean diaper, clean clothes, snack, sunblock, water, blah blah blah) AND a tote bag (beach toys, other sandy things).

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:57 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i ordered an Ergo and i think it will be great for us but our first usage of it was complete fail.
i didnt order the one with the infant insert cause BP is four months and can hold her head up fine. however it says you are supposed supposed to use the insert until 12 lbs and she is a whopping 11 lbs.
i kind of felt like her legs were a bit too splayed out in it. i dont know if that was why it was fail or 100 other reasons (she was hot, she spit up, she didnt want to go for a walk, etc) but i ended up having to turn around and go home half way through our walk cause she was screaming.

she was wearing way too many layers so im hoping it was that and not i broke her legs stuffing her in it ;-)

anyone else use it without the insert on a smaller baby?

either way we own it now cause she was chewing on it and then spit up on it ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:16 pm 
Saggy Butt

I never used the infant insert (even though I of course bought one too!). Unless your baby is lucky enough to be born in the, like, 12 weeks where it's not 100 degrees, most people here just roll up a receiving blanket and put it in the bottom of the Ergo for baby to sit on so their legs aren't splayed too wide.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok so just put it under her butt to boost her up a bit?
that should work.

i like that the back of the ergo is totally open. obviously it's not as hot here as it gets where you are but the summers are humid and toasty and my moby wrap is basically just a big sweat pile.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

Yeah, just play around with it until you find something that feels comfortable for you and BabyPunk! I think when Sven was really small I was also able to "frog" his legs while he was in the Ergo and avoid using the blanket prop altogether, but that gets uncomfortable for you when they get bigger.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:36 am 
Not NOT A Furry

LisaPunk wrote:
either way we own it now cause she was chewing on it and then spit up on it ;-)

Ha, story of our lives over here! Pretty sure that no gift entered our house without tiny wu spitting up/puking on it within 24 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:29 am 
Nooch of Earl

Violet was a smallish baby too and we had terrible luck with the ergo until about 15lb for the same reasons. But since then it's been great... I would suggest putting it away for a couple weeks and trying again later.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

refinnej wrote:
Also...what do y'all use to carry your stuff in when you are doing back carries? One of my acquaintances here just posted awhile ago about a new messenger-style kind of bag that she's going to use to this end. We've been using a backpack for our stuff, but F's getting more into carries and I'd like to take the buggy less as she walks much of the time now. If we're just running to the grocery store, I can put some stuff in a purse/bag but many days, we have fairly long excursions in the morning, so then I need lots of kit (2-3 nappies, wipes, butt cream, change of clothes, snacks, water bottle, a couple of books maybe for the bus, bump cream, sun cream). Plus, my own stuff (wallet, keys, phone, my own water bottle, etc). When we go to the pool..yikes!

I can fit everything into my handbag. Which is not *that* big. It has two sections -- one has my stuff and snacks, the other section used to hold my water bottle, but now has extra underwear and trousers, a barf rag and a bib, and I can also fit in a ziplock bag with [up to 4 diapers in it, a small changing pad, and a smaller ziplock bag of wipes and one of those samples of Sudocreme that come in every Bounty Pack] -- I just roll the air out of it before closing it. (And I have a small Russian Gas Mask Bag that holds my water canteen if I don't have room in a coat pocket.)
With younger kids that need more changing (our outings take all day because of where we live), I have a diaper clutch that I throw into an old military...satchel? sidebag? ...and I throw in a water canteen there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:55 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the ergo is working really well for us. thanks mandycoot for the rolled up blankie suggestion. i didnt realize just lifting her up a bit would make it work better but it did! she seems more comfy that way.
i feel like i can actually use both my hands and i dont feel like i need to keep a hand on her which is how i felt with the moby even though i probably didnt need to keep a hand on her.

we went for a hike with the pooches as our maiden voyage after the first fail trip
here she is in all her glory

now i just have to adjust it properly to make it fit most comfy for me. today we wore it to the library, then target, and later a 3 mile walk and my upper back is wrecked now.

im not sure where to adjust it to take less of the weight off my upper back or if that is just the nature of a front carrier. my husband thinks i need to adjust the part around my hips/waist

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next