| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Slings/carriers/papooses..what do you recommend?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:53 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just learned about the kangaroo hold in the peanut! Grey is sitting in it right now and I have two hands to type! Yay!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:40 pm 
Semen Strong

littlebear wrote:
I just learned about the kangaroo hold in the peanut! Grey is sitting in it right now and I have two hands to type! Yay!!

Pictures!

I can't believe how fast Grey is growing!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:12 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

you can face out with the moby.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:56 pm 
Naked Under Apron

my kid never ever wanted to face in, so when she outgrew slings and the Bjorn we got a Beco Gemini - you can do hip hold, inward facing, outward facing as well as back carry. It has the support belt for your midsection which saves my back bigtime.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:48 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have tried the ergo in every different way and grey just cries in it. Infant him to love it. Am I doing something wrong? His legs seem so wide open and uncomfortable. I know the bjorn is bad but he loves it. What do I do?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:02 am 
Bathes in Braggs

How old is Grey again? Until 15lbs or so, he should be in an infant heart-to-heart insert in the ergo with his legs frog-legged inside instead of legs dangling. I waited until Ezra lost that tendancy to keep his legs curled up that babies have before I wore him with legs out. Here are some tips and instructions from ergo's website. Hope it helps!!

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/support/instructions
http://kb.ergobabycarrier.com/questions ... +use+it%3F

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:11 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I put Wolverine in the ergo with a recieving blanket tucked under his bum and his legs in the carrier froggyed. It is the only carrier he likes now.
He loved the moby at first but then started getting super frustrated that he was pressed against my boobs and not eating. Now I can put him in it if he is full and we actually walk around the whole time to keep him engaged. Unfortunatly he isn't one of those kids who will fall asleep in carriers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

tank wrote:
super frustrated that he was pressed against my boobs and not eating.

Funny enough, I still have the same issues with my 21 month old.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:47 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

yeah, i can never bounce milo to sleep anymore because he's always busy trying to get to the food whereas my husband gets him to pass out in what seems like just a few bounces.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

WE are going to try a rolled up blanket in the bottom, I don't want to buy an insert which will only probably need to be used for a couple week at this point, he is 18 pounds and 28 inches long. We attacked a couple at ikea today to find out what we were doing wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:17 pm 
Semen Strong

littlebear wrote:
WE are going to try a rolled up blanket in the bottom, I don't want to buy an insert which will only probably need to be used for a couple week at this point, he is 18 pounds and 28 inches long. We attacked a couple at ikea today to find out what we were doing wrong.

Grey is getting so big!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i'm looking for a good sling at the moment.. i have one that's kind of like a peanut one, that's super sturdy and i bought it from some local company when i lived near vancouver. it's nice, but it's quite small, and only will work for the first few months. i also have a snugli pack already, which is great- we used it tons with izzy. my partner liked it lots. but i am hoping to get a good wrap/slinp that i can use at home or out, and that my partner will also be okay using. he doesn't like the moby wrap, so we're looking at the sakura bloom slings. they seem really nice! (the linen ones, not silk! http://www.sakurabloom.com/ ) i think this will be my one big splurge for this little one. anyone used it or one like it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have a sakura bloom ring sling and I love it so far. My baby is only 16 days old though, so not sure about the long haul. She loves it and falls asleep whenever I have put her in it. We have used it to take her to the doctor and several walks. Not so much inside because my apartment is so hot, but I'm sure it would work for that too. It was a splurge for me but I'm happy I got it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:41 pm 

I have a maya ring sling, and I really like it. I imagine the Sakura Bloom is the same thing with nicer fabric. I preferred the moby for the newborn stage, but from 4 or so months on my big guy was a bit too much for it. The sling is so much easier to get on and the less stretchy fabric holds his weight better. He can walk now, but if I have to carry him for an extended period I bring the sling.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yay! i'm glad to hear that. it's the favourite so far between my partner and me. plus it comes in some good neutral colours, and the material looks really good. thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:24 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

So far I like the Snugli best. He loves being in it and it doesn't hurt by back or shoulders to carry him around for long periods of time.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:01 pm 
Naked Under Apron

bumping this thread to ask: what do you recommend for hot weather babywearin?
I'm already dreading the months immediately following Newbaby's arrival, since it's already too warm out. And I'll be commuting with baby in the hottest months, including a .75 mile walk to the subway and then the disgusting, humid, airless subway platform. I have a Moby, a Beco Gemini and a Bjorn and am anticipating being super-sweaty. Oyyyy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Audrey wrote:
bumping this thread to ask: what do you recommend for hot weather babywearin?
I'm already dreading the months immediately following Newbaby's arrival, since it's already too warm out. And I'll be commuting with baby in the hottest months, including a .75 mile walk to the subway and then the disgusting, humid, airless subway platform. I have a Moby, a Beco Gemini and a Bjorn and am anticipating being super-sweaty. Oyyyy.

I used a Snugli soft carrier (before they started looking so trendy - mine is just a natural green toned one), and that was pretty good, because my little dude could have his arms and legs out getting some air, and my partner and I - whoever was carrying - only got sweaty on our bellies and right at the shoulder straps, which was a little sticky, but it didn't make them slide or anything. I'm getting a Cuddlywrap this time, so I'm hoping that will work as well. If not, I still have my old one to use!

Good luck keeping cool. At least when you're lounging indoors, you and baby can go sans clothes, and you won't have to worry about him/her getting chilly! (Mine is due 7 July, so right when it actually gets warm in BC! I love it, but it doesn't get overwhelming hot for long.)

ETA: If you'll be walking much, you'll probably want to find a nice, cool hat to keep sun off baby's head. Bucket hats seem like an easy choice, and I think they usually have little velcro ties to keep them on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:32 pm 
Naked Under Apron

ah unfortunately I will also be dealing with over air-conditioned subway cars too, but it's only a 10-15 minute ride so hopefully it won't matter much. And once I get to the office I'll have blankets etc to combat chilliness indoors. Probably in the real heat, she'll just wear a diaper in whatever carrier I choose, and maybe some socks - if I can find some that stay on!

You're totally right about the hat too, I need to start looking for both infant-size and toddler hats because already I can tell that our almost-3yr old is going to be getting too much sun on her scalp (like where the part in her hair is.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, I'm starting to check out hats and sunglasses again too - we'll be outside a lot soon, and somehow LittleBodhi always loses his sunglasses or hat. Definitely need a few spares. For the wee one, I think I'm going with a cosy diaper and some legwarmers, and then I can keep socks stashed in a pocket. (Or vice versa, with the legwarmers and socks, depending on the weather!) I'm hoping legwarmers will be easier to keep on. We always lost socks when we took LittleBodhi out as a baby.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:54 pm 

I'm worried about baby wearing in the heat, too. We are planning a hiking trip in arid heat in the middle of August. I'm thinking we will be pretty sweaty.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:32 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Butternut wrote:
I'm worried about baby wearing in the heat, too. We are planning a hiking trip in arid heat in the middle of August. I'm thinking we will be pretty sweaty.

I think we are getting a Kelty backpack. 1. Husband gets to carry baby. 2. I think they are a little away from the body so more air circulation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:55 pm 

littlebear wrote:
Butternut wrote:

I think we are getting a Kelty backpack. 1. Husband gets to carry baby. 2. I think they are a little away from the body so more air circulation

Those look nice. And YES to husband carrying her! He is planning this trip so he should shoulder the weight. My neighbor offered to let us borrow their hiking baby backpack...I really hope it is one of those.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:12 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I definitely do find baby wearing to be sweaty. For what it's worth, I find the Ergo to be markedly less hot than either a stretchy wrap or a woven wrap. (Though I've heard of people using lightweight linen for woven wraps, which is supposedly pretty cool.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:51 pm 

Someone gave me a light colored Moby wrap that's supposed to have UV protection, so I'm really hoping that will be good for this summer. I didn't think about the baby needing a hat!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next