| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri May 29, 2015 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The all purpose favorite products thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:55 am 
Inflexitarian

I feel like it's always a hunt trying to find the best baby-friendly, eco-friendly, non-chemically stuff for kids and baby's. So I thought this could be a space to let everyone know your favorite toys, cleaning products, foods, etc. for baby.

Personally, I've found that the California Baby brand of products has been amazing on Guineapiglet's sensitive skin. It cost a small fortune but after wasting my money on Aveeno and other "mild" baby products we finally gave in and their whole line is really amazing.

Right now, though, I'm looking for a good baby-safe cleaning solution for her toys. Of course I just use mild soap and water on the ones that can be washed but for her bigger toys that need to be wiped down but can't necessarily get a lot of water on them does anyone have any recommendations? I tend to think vinegar works on everything but, in this case, I'm thinking I might be wrong.

Post subject: Re: The all purpose favorite products thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:44 pm 
Inflexitarian

I love Rockin' Green detergent, it's meant for cloth diapers but we use it on all of her stuff. It gets out poo, massive spit up, blood (doctor appointment, not injury!), and mystery stains. http://rockingreensoap.com/

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:57 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

We just use vinegar in a spray bottle followed by water. Kills germs and smells like sauerkraut!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:59 pm 
Semen Strong

I use a solution of vinegar on all plastic toys etc. It works really well.

I would love a good baby sunscreen that goes on easily.

I wish my kid liked water.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

I, too, love California Baby stuff. I love the super sensitive shampoo/body wash and the super sensitive lotion. The only product I've been disappointed in is the diaper rash cream (which isn't vegan due to lanolin, plus it just doesn't clear up Lydia's diaper rash). You can get CA Baby stuff at Target here, and it's a lot cheaper than other stores.

While I like the CA Baby sunscreen, it's really $$. I just can't afford to use sunscreen that's so expensive. I try to use hats and long sleeves/pants as much as possible, and alba unscented mineral sunscreen when necessary

For cloth diapers and a HE machine, the cheapest natural(ish) detergent I've found is Country Save powder. My diapers never stink afterwards, and it seems to be gentle enough to not harm anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:38 pm 
Saggy Butt

I rub large hard toys down with 150 proof Everclear-- it doesn't leave any residue, and it evaporates pretty quickly. Obviously, you only want to do that when there will be adequate time for it to evaporate though! I also keep a spray bottle of it in the diaper bag for a hand sanitizer.

(Side note, 150 proof is more antimicrobial than 190 proof. Something about bacterial cell walls only bursting when there's enough water present-- it's been a while since I've taken microbiology....)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:47 pm 
Inflexitarian

When we switched to disposable diapers for our trip to California gpiglet got a yeast diaper rash and the only thing that cleared it up was a mix of California baby diaper rash cream and monistat (random combo I know)

Their sunscreen is also fantastic but sooo expensive even at target. I usually add a little bit of their everyday lotion to it so it goes on smoother and doesn't leave that white residue sunblock always leaves

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:49 pm 
Nooch of Earl

You're supposed to clean toys? Well, sheee-yitake.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

annak wrote:

I pretty much only clean toys when I know we had a sick kid visiting....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:46 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

annak wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:56 pm 
Inflexitarian

Shanti wrote:
I love Rockin' Green detergent, it's meant for cloth diapers but we use it on all of her stuff. It gets out poo, massive spit up, blood (doctor appointment, not injury!), and mystery stains. http://rockingreensoap.com/

It is fantastic, but I've been looking for a cheaper alternative. We typically by ours from amazon, do you know of any place it's available cheaper? Have you tried the scents? We're using the scent-free right now but thinking of branching out if we continue to use it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:55 pm 
Semen Strong

I was told that the scents are just to make your washer/dryer not smell like poo as they are working. The fragrance isn't supposed to linger in the fabric.

Also, we use the vinegar solution when we get hand-me-down toys or buy stuff at garage sales. I am not a regular cleaner of toys. Or anything else for that matter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:04 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Here is a random product suggestion: http://www.movingcomfort.com/Fiona/3500 ... lt,pd.html

I was looking everywhere for a nursing sports bra with enough support for big ones to run in and I realized that my regular sports bra (the one pre-pregnancy and baby) have adjustable straps with Velcro instead of buckles. It works as a nursing bra even though it is not intended to be one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:32 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I'm not a toy cleaner, but I also love just spraying vinegar on shiitake. Pre kids I used to bleach everything, and I feel like vinegar fills that niche for me now.

I love Everyday Shea bubble bath.

For sunblock, I like BurnOut for kids... It's a local company, somewhat more affordable than most healthy children's sunblock, and a physical barrier rather than chemical. We also try to do hats and long sleeves/legs whenever possible.

Now that he's older, I wash E's hair with Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle stuff. Terrible for babies (burny!) but one of the only things that seems to do anything for his perpetual cradle cap/scalp funk.

Having tried several brands at this point, I still find myself coming back again and again to Thirsties for diaper covers.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:09 pm 
Inflexitarian

GuineaPig wrote:
Shanti wrote:

It is fantastic, but I've been looking for a cheaper alternative. We typically by ours from amazon, do you know of any place it's available cheaper? Have you tried the scents? We're using the scent-free right now but thinking of branching out if we continue to use it.

I haven't but they do give coupons to newsletter subscribers and sometimes DiaperJunction has them on sale. I do like the scents though, had lavender mint last time

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:21 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

when we lived in the middle of corn country, we started making our own laundry soap, since it was so much cheaper then having it shipped to bfe. I still do since its stupid cheap and lasts forever, i use it for everything. Here's the recipe we use http://frugallygreen.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-make-your-own-laundry-soap.html.

Okay, truth, my husband makes it for us, but one batch lasts forever, the last batch we made in October and it looks like its half gone? We keep it in an old kitty litter box on a shelf next the the washing machine, and use 1/4 c or less per load.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:08 pm 
Inflexitarian

jildez wrote:
when we lived in the middle of corn country, we started making our own laundry soap, since it was so much cheaper then having it shipped to bfe. I still do since its stupid cheap and lasts forever, i use it for everything. Here's the recipe we use http://frugallygreen.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-make-your-own-laundry-soap.html.

Okay, truth, my husband makes it for us, but one batch lasts forever, the last batch we made in October and it looks like its half gone? We keep it in an old kitty litter box on a shelf next the the washing machine, and use 1/4 c or less per load.

Super simple! Have you ever tried it on cloth diapers?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:46 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Can I resurrect this thread with the mind to hear about your favourite baby bathing products? I had a search and baby brain couldn't spot a tread on this already, but it may well exist.

I had a stroll down the supermarket aisle and found it difficult to unpick a) companies with decent ethics, and b) what I actually needed (as opposed to what they want me to believe I need).

Tell me about bubble baths, shampoos, nappy creams, nipple creams etc.
Ta!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

for baby soap i use the seventh generation baby soap. it's called wee generation or something.
it's this one

http://www.amazon.com/Seventh-Genaration-Baby-Shampoo-Wash/dp/B007H5QUFA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1428776091&sr=8-5&keywords=7th+generation+wee+generation

we bought the three pack and almost never bathe BabyPunk cause honestly babies dont really need to be washed all that often and we're still on our first bottle and she will be 2 in 2 weeks.
we use it on her hair and her body.
it's cruelty free and made with natural products, is no tears and hypoallergenic. it does not say if it's vegan and i am struggling to find something in the ingredient list that i can actually identify as non-vegan. it says it's "98% plant based ingredients" on the bottle.

we didnt buy any lotions or oils or any of that because my honest opinion is you dont actually need any of that. obviously if you have a kid who has particularly sensitive skin or a specific skin condition you may need something but in general i dont think you need it.

for diaper cream we really honestly almost never used anything because we never had any diaper rash issues. i got a free giant tube of vit A&D ointment in a bag o stuff from the OB and anytime there was any redness we put a little of that on her. when she FINALLY started eating a little bit and her poops started to change she got really bad diaper rash and i finally had to get some recommendations here (something with zinc oxide in it) and i looked at the ingredients in the A&D and it's super non-vegan! i went to Target and bought some BabyGanics diaper rash cream and used that.
it's cruelty free but im not sure if it's vegan. again nothing jumps out at me as unvegan but there's a lot of stuff that i dont know exactly what it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Babyganics-Diaper-Rash-Cream-Tube/dp/B00O2Z2UY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428776567&sr=8-1&keywords=babyganics+diaper+rash

i also use the BabyGanics sunscreen on her. we were just in the Caribbean and had no sunburn issues for her so it works well.
i dont know if you would put it on a newborn though. i think usually you wait til they are older for sunscreen.
http://www.amazon.com/Babyganics-Mineral-Based-Baby-Sunscreen-Lotion/dp/B00HYV2F7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428776622&sr=8-1&keywords=babyganics+sunscreen

for nipple cream i have only used coconut oil.
it's natural, obviously vegan, and has anti microbial properties for the bebe and is safe for them to ingest.

hope that helps! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:22 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I agree, babies don't usually need soap or shampoo, or even frequent bathing. We just used water, olive oil if his skin was dry, and sunscreen in the summer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:57 pm 
Inflexitarian

We use California Baby liquid soap. Although still we don't actually technically bathe my daughter a lot. She gets in the water every day as part of the nightly routine but only gets soap once or twice a week.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:58 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Super useful, thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:35 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yep my kid had very sensitive skin as a baby so we used the California baby super sensitive and it was perfect. Never bothered him a bit. We used it as soap and shampoo.

I'm another one who doesn't bathe every day either. We usually do 3 times a week or so. In the winter I only wash his hair once. More in the summer because he gets sweaty and dirty outside.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:57 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm in New Zealand so product recommendations are likely unhelpful, but Westiebaby is 2 1/4 and I'm still on the first [small] bottle of shampoo and have only used soap a few times. She does like bubbles though, so we go through a [gentle, eco] bubble bath mix a little more often.