| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What would you do - non vegan infant formula?!?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:29 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Hey everyone :)

I'm kind of a part time/failing vegan but really determined to get my bum in gear and improve my families diet by doing it 100%

My problem is that I have a 7mo DD who is DF and SF due to intolerances, the DF obviously works in my favour but unfortunately because she is SF that rules out vegan friendly infant formula :-( She is weaning but as yet hasn't had any protein or significant amount of anything containing calcium. I can't just stop her formula as her current diet isn't providing everything she needs :( I'm thinking that, even though it's not ideal, I should carry on giving her the formula until maybe age 1 and then hopefully she will be getting enough solids to cover all her dietary needs?

Any ideas/opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

K

Post subject: Re: What would you do - non vegan infant formula?!?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:19 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I would say honestly that if the kid is under 2 [and there's no good vegan SF alternative] you need to do whatever you need to do, even if it rankles your values. You will have plenty of time to get her accustomed to a fantastic vegan diet once she's old enough to eat solid foods, and why take chances with her development right now. for the meantime keep her on what is making her grow!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:20 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I agree with torque. getting her the nutrition she needs trumps anything else.
you gotta do what you gotta do.
it may not be ideal but her health is more important and like torque said there's plenty of time later in life to get her on the vegan track if that's what you want.

I understand not liking the situation though. I would feel the same way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:30 am 
Semen Strong

Welcome! Yes, definitely don't switch until you find a substitute that meets all your daughter's needs. Veganism is about doing the best you can to avoid animal products, and you'll be doing a lot of good just by eliminating them where it is feasible without risking your daughter's health.

We have a great thread for babyled weaning and for great introductory vegan foods that kids love, so if you're starting to give her solids, those could be resources for you. A lot of the BLW cookbooks are rather meat heavy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:34 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Thank you both :-D I think the main thing I was after is reassurance that I'm not an awful person/mother!! I suppose the priority is ensuring that DD's nutritional requirements are met, one way or another.

We will be seeing a dietician soon so will find out when she can come off the formula :-)

Trying to justify buying a blendtec so I can make almond milk for her in the future, lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i should have said [too late to edit] welcome back to veganism btw!! i imagine it must be frustrating to want to get on track and have this nagging you. But we all do the best we can [and some things like medication etc, especially for kids, we really often don't have a choice if we want to keep our kids healthy and/or keep our kids in our own care].

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:38 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Tofulish wrote:
Welcome! Yes, definitely don't switch until you find a substitute that meets all your daughter's needs. Veganism is about doing the best you can to avoid animal products, and you'll be doing a lot of good just by eliminating them where it is feasible without risking your daughter's health.

We have a great thread for babyled weaning and for great introductory vegan foods that kids love, so if you're starting to give her solids, those could be resources for you. A lot of the BLW cookbooks are rather meat heavy.

Thank you :-) the weaning is going quite well so far. Definitely agree about the BLW cookbooks :-/ I have just adopted the principles and she's eating most of what I make for the rest of the family. When I say eat I actually mean throw all over the floor ;-) but hey, that's part of the fun of it!!

I will check out the threads you mentioned for some more ideas :-D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:56 am 
Semen Strong

Yes, definitely fun! I hope you get some good inspiration - that thread was so useful for us. I love my pictures of L in the early days of BLW when the food ended up everywhere. Now at 17 months she is a much neater eater :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:50 am 
Nooch of Earl

Good luck and welcome! Soon your daughter will be eating lots more solids anyway.

I am, in general, a believer in applying your effort towards veganism towards where it makes the most difference. And the corollary to that is that if a small compromise in one area will make me much more able to commit to living a certain way in general, I'm willing to do it. Health is usually where that comes up! Personally, and I may get totally heckled for this, I don't really sweat things like D3 or unspecified lecithin or whatever. I would never feed these to another vegan without oking it, I'm super careful then, but it makes a commitment to a plant-based diet in general easier enough that I've been able to stick with it for the last 13 years or so. I'm not a big fan of vegan policing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:05 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Obviously everyone has covered the whole you do what you have to do angle. I wanted to also add that babies seem to magically get solids at some point and begin to eat so much more. With both of my kiddos I remember looking at how much (or little) they were eating at 8 or 9 months old and thinking there was no way they would be ready to subsist mostly on solids by age 1. And then they both suddenly were. I didn't have to try or push or do anything special. So she may be eating more food sooner than you think.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

+1 for the do what you have to do. To my knowledge, there is *no* commercially available vegan formula anyway. We supplemented with our daughter for a few months with soya formula, but even that has small amounts of lanolin.

Can I ask, just out of curiosity, what she is drinking? Dairy and soya cover just about everything I've seen available, but I know a mom via the 'net that is struggling with soya for her twins (she's breast feeding, but not making enough milk). The dairy causes some skin problem (eczema maybe?), but neither of them digest the soy well.

Congrats too, on making the switch to veganism. It's pretty easy-peasy around these parts, I think. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

refinnej wrote:
Can I ask, just out of curiosity, what she is drinking? Dairy and soya cover just about everything I've seen available, but I know a mom via the 'net that is struggling with soya for her twins (she's breast feeding, but not making enough milk). The dairy causes some skin problem (eczema maybe?), but neither of them digest the soy well.

Totally not vegan and I am zero experience with formula, but my friend swore by goat's milk formula for her first kid (she had no problems breastfeeding her second, but her first had a bad latch/no latch and she gave up after a month or so).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:18 am 
So Totally Yiffy

refinnej wrote:
+1 for the do what you have to do. To my knowledge, there is *no* commercially available vegan formula anyway. We supplemented with our daughter for a few months with soya formula, but even that has small amounts of lanolin.

Congrats too, on making the switch to veganism. It's pretty easy-peasy around these parts, I think. :)

Hi :-) I guess I wasn't super clear re her intolerance - she's actually unable to have cows milk protein and this also means there is a high likelihood she is intolerant to soya too :-( The milk she's on now is a prescription one without cows milk protein in it...

My eldest son was on sma wysoy years ago due to his eczema problems so I'd wrongly assumed that this would be vegan....!!

Thanks for all the support guys :-D I've been vegan on and off for about 6 years now, the longest I kept with it is about 1 year. I tend to make excuses - too much uni work/too busy/too tired/kids don't support decision etc. I'm determined to do it for good this time :-D I've got 2 months left on mat leave so there's plenty of time too get organised!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:25 am 
So Totally Yiffy

DEG wrote:
Obviously everyone has covered the whole you do what you have to do angle. I wanted to also add that babies seem to magically get solids at some point and begin to eat so much more. With both of my kiddos I remember looking at how much (or little) they were eating at 8 or 9 months old and thinking there was no way they would be ready to subsist mostly on solids by age 1. And then they both suddenly were. I didn't have to try or push or do anything special. So she may be eating more food sooner than you think.

Yes, I can fully imagine this happening! The difference in quantity eaten just over the past month is huge so hopefully this will continue :-D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:57 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Boooo, mother has just got home and has been shopping....listen to this -

Fish fingers
Sausages
Coco pops
Various types of non veg soups
Haribo
Lots and lots of little packets of biscuits (snack kind of things for the kids)

There's more but I can't remember :,( we had a conversation yday about me not buying anymore non veg food/products!! She's trying to help out (DD has chicken pox so I can't get to the shops atm) but it makes me want to cry :,( I haven't reminded her me becoming vegan again cos I know I will sound really ungrateful and ill feel like poop. Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:44 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

If it's a real struggle, you could try shopping online. We have a Groupon deal with Ocado, but I don't know that their prices are necessarily the best. Sainsbury though = same prices as in the shop. I've become a fan.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:03 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I did try asda a few weeks ago (when DS1 had chicken pox!) but the fruit/veg was rubbish :,( I'm such a geek - I always route around for the latest use by date!! Got some coriander and there was only 1 day left on it - so not impressed!! Lol

Obviously ocado is a fancier one, lol...are they better at giving you the freshest produce? X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hi! My son is allergic to soy protein (FPIES) and when I went back to work at 3 mos. I couldn't pump enough. So we had to give him Alimentum, which is cow's milk based. I felt bad about it but there was no vegan alternative so there was nothing we could do about it. I kind of figure in the long run it wasn't that big of a deal, since now he is vegan and it was only a few months of his life he had to drink dairy.

As soon as he was old enough (around 1 year old. maybe a bit younger - I already can't remember!) I transitioned him to Pacific brand oat milk. He loved it and now at 2.5 years old still drinks 3 8 oz cups a day. I really like giving him oat milk because it has more protein (4g) than almond or rice milk. It also is fortified with plenty of calcium and vitamin D.

I add a bit of flax oil too, to up the fat content, since it is relatively low fat compared to cow's milk and young children need a good portion of their calories from fat.

Good luck with your kiddo and transitioning to veganism!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:53 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Thank you Aubade...!!! Do you buy his milk now or do homemade....I'm really desperate for a blendtec to do homemade!! Oh forget that, just noticed you said about it being fortified with calc and vit D - duh...!!

Great idea re the flax oil :-) I could also try coconut as well to boost calories. Going to power on with the BLW and include lots of avos and introduce nut butter within the next week or so so that'll help with cals too :) Wonder what she'll make of my green smoothies?! This is so much fun, lol. X