| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gestational Diabetes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:33 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

With my last pregnancy, I had gestational diabetes, and my numbers were very high. Funny thing is, I had no risk factors. I was young, gained only 10 lbs through the pregnancy, exercised regularly, and my diet wasn't that bad. But I got it anyway. I had to follow a diet with was a real pain. After it was all over I swore that I would never complain about my diabetes patients ever again. (Very few were compliant with any lifestyle changes and after experiencing it myself, I understood how annoying the diet was)

With this one, I'm not far along at all but I already feel like I have it. I'm constantly very thirsty and feel exhausted. Even when I drink water I'm still thirsty. It is like there is a film over my mouth that keeps it from getting wet. This is how it felt last time. My doctor suggested that I start following the diet. I wasn't vegan last time I was pregnant and there was a huge emphasis on carbs. (I love carbs!)

Did anyone ever have GD and do you have any advice? Or does anyone have a good source of information for vegans with GD?

Post subject: Re: Gestational Diabetes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:19 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

It's not exactly the same, but I just went through a pregnancy with type 1 diabetes. I ate a lot more soy than I usually do, but I was OK with that since it was temporary. I avoided rice (and rice noodles), fruit, and potatoes, except in pretty small quantities. I made sure to have a good protein source at each meal--beans, nuts, tofu, tempeh, soy milk, etc. I didn't avoid pasta since it has a low glycemic index and a good amount of protein (just mentioning this since pasta has a bad reputation), though I still made sure to keep serving sizes small and bulk up on protein and nonstarchy vegetables. I completely avoided fruit at breakfast and kept carbs especially low for that meal since first thing in the morning is when blood sugars are highest. I tried to eat five or six small meals rather than two or three big ones so I wasn't eating a huge amount of carbs at a time. And no beverages with carbs (except unsweetened soy milk). This includes no smoothies.

The ADA has some info on adapting a veg diet for diabetes:
http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitnes ... ff-slabnav

Really the only difference is that the ADA considers a serving of grains/starchy vegetables to be 1/3 cup, and the regular food pyramid/plate counts 1/2 cup as a serving. Otherwise it's what you would expect. Lots of veggies, whole grains, beans, nuts.

Good luck with your pregnancy!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:45 am 

Thanks I'll check out that website!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:36 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my best friend just texted me. she is pregnant and due with her second 11/1 i think.
her initial test came back positive for GD and she is freaking out.
she has to do some more testing and then if those tests come back positive she will have to do insulin treatments 3x a day and will probably be forced to have a c-section.

i think she's saying they think he is over 9.5 lbs NOW and im a big baffled because i havent seen her in person in awhile but based on the few pics shes posted on facebook she does NOT look that big.

anywho is there anything she can do to help deal with this better?
she's not veg and is a total food snob but i dont think she has a terrible diet or anything.

would the insulin be through a needle or some sort of drink? im having a REALLY hard time picturing her giving herself insulin via a needle three times a day. with her first pregnancy they had fertility issues and finally did fertility treatments and i remember her saying how hard it was for her because it was a shot. but i think they did like 1 shot maybe 2 total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:14 pm 

Lots of reassuring things: That first test has a ton of false positives, so chances are she doesn't have GD. That's why they do the second test, which is more accurate. And those size scans aren't very accurate, either. (Jonah was supposed to be over 10 lbs and he was only 8 lbs 10 ounces, full term.)

There are a ton of different GD diets. The easiest thing, and something her doctor will probably recommend no matter what they tell her to eat, is to start with frequent small meals rather than just two or three bigger meals and to get some kind of aerobic exercise most days. Walking counts.

Most women with GD don't have to take insulin. It will depend on how successful diet and exercise therapy are. If she does have to take insulin, it will be shots. Probably once a day. But they're completely different from most shots you get at the doctors office. They don't go into your muscle and they use teeny tiny needles. It really truly doesn't hurt. I've taken thousands of these shots, and I'm too much of a wimp to get my ears pierced. She can ask about using an insulin pen, which looks less scary than a traditional needle (there's not really a difference in how it feels, but a lot of needle fear is a mental thing.) If she has to test her blood sugar, that hurts a tiny bit, but again it's not as scary because you don't see the sharp when you use it. Testing hurts less as time goes on and your skin toughens up a bit.

So chances are she doesn't have GD. And if she does, chances are she won't need insulin. And if she does, it's really not that bad.

I always think the Mayo Clinic website has good, non-scary health information: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20014854

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah i told her i called total B.S. on her carryig a 9.5 lbs baby RIGHT NOW with 2 months to go. theres just no way looking at her. that's good to know about the false positives. i will let her know.
she said something about the nurse said her levels didnt look to high so hopefully it was a fluke. i dont really know what that refers to but hopefully it's just a false positive.

thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:28 pm 

When I had GD I had very high numbers with the second test. I was eating healthy at the time but found out that it is caused ben any the placenta. I never had to take insulin and I did not need a C-section. My son only weighed 6lbs 10oz. I controlled it completely with diet though I had to take my blood sugar an hour after eating. My eating plan was basically 15-30 carbs for breakfast, around 15 carbs for a snack two hours later. 45-60 carbs for lunch. about 15 carbs for a snack two hours later, and 45-60 carbs for dinner. If I was up later, then another snack of about 15 carbs. I was also told to increase my protein intake. At the time I wasn't vegan. It is not difficult but it was annoying. There was food that I would want but couldn't have because of the amount of carbs. As soon as I delivered my GD was gone.

I will be tested again in two months for GD with this pregnancy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

LisaPunk, if her levels didn't look high on the first test, it's a big thing to jump to the idea that she'll need insulin!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:49 pm 

Yeah I can't imagine that they would already know if she needs insulin! Or a C-section! My numbers were very high but my son was still small.

There is also a drug I think called glyburide (and I totally butchered that spelling!) You can choose to take that instead of insulin. Thing is, they couldn't do any formal tests on humans because there would need to be a group of woman with GD that would have to refuse treatment as a control group. And not many people would choose not to get treated (and it would be unethical) They only have anectdotal evidence, which has mostly been positive. Not sure how long it has been on the market.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im guessing these things are things they told her were possibilities that she immediately decided was TRUE FACT since she is in panic mode.

as far as the c-section goes they are claiming that he is 9.5 lbs NOW with 2 months to go. i reminded her third trimester weights are notoriously inaccurate (though BP's last u/s showed her at 5 lbs 19 oz and when she was born she was 5 lbs 9 oz so how's that for accuracy!)

she's supposed to hear today so im awaiting a text from her.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

just heard back from my friend. her levels are within the normal range and actually also in a very healthy range so it was a false positive! yay!

she's pretty irritated. she had to go through all that stress, needles, loss of pay from missing work, etc.

having been through a different false positive test scenario myself it really irritates me that these things happen so often.
i know they tell you upfront that it's just a screening test but it's literally impossible not to freak out that something is wrong when you get a bad result.

they put prgnant women through too damn much these days

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:12 pm 

They could just do the second test for everyone and eliminate the false positives, but the second test is a lot more onerous than the first one. It's a trade off.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:42 am 

Yeah the second test takes about 3 hours and you have to get blood drawn after each one. (Unless I'm remembering that incorrectly)

Glad things are in normal range for her. I'd go get a second opinion about the baby's weight though. That sounds a bit odd.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i mean just all the tests in general. my false positive test was the genetic diseases one. i was told i had a 1 in 3 chance BP had downs. though i think they already have a better screening test for that now and BP is only 15 months!

the false positive tests are just so stressful. i also understand why they do the test. its just. bleh. i dunno. stressful

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:57 pm 

Yeah there are a lot of false positives with genetic tests. I just had the sixteen week genetic test and I wasn't sure if I should have it because I know that there are many false positives.

About thirteen years ago, my cousin had the screening and she was told that her baby would have trisonomy 13 and would probably not live longer than a year. She and her husband were devastated but decided to go through with the whole pregnancy. (Mostly because most of my family is very conservative and extremely pro life.) When her daughter was born she was completely normal.

If my tests came back positive, I'd hesitate to get an abortion because of all the false positives. But then having a child with trisonomy 13 or 18 would be devastating. It is frustrating.