| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: morning sickness is weird (complain about morning sickness)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im trying to figure out the "logic" in morning sickness.
mine has yet to make any sense.
it started a little later (5-6 weeks) but i know it's different for everyone.

so far i honestly cant go by the guidelines of what they tell you to do (ie eat things easy on your stomach like carbs and avoid high fat/greasy foods and spicy foods)

this was me the other day:
woke up feeling nauseous as usual, decided to take my prenatal vitamin that night as an experiment so i didnt even take that. made myself a whole wheat english muffin with natural peanut butter and homemade peach jelly. so no preservatives, no fake sugars, nothing but wholesomeness.

felt violently ill after. kept everything in and down but felt very close to barfing my guts out.

for lunch i went out with my mom and aunt and against my better judgement ate two giant plates of indian buffet. definitely spicy, definitely all sorts of different and stomach-craziness-inducing.

other than feeling uber full from eating too much i felt totally fine.

things that have made me violently ill and given me horrible fire diarrhea (at work one time! yay!):
leftover homemade green thai curry (vwav recipe)
leftover broccoli polenta. (the night before i had eaten a buttload of it and was fine but eating a small amount for lunch the next day made me violently ill)

things that dont make me ill:
pizza (daiya of course)
food from sub shop like an (fried) eggplant/hummus wrap
thai takeout
soup

HURRAY FOR LOGIC!

i think im sticking to vegetable soup and bread til this is over. :-/

ive also found that obviously like many women i need a little something in my tummy to keep the nausea at pay. but seriously no matter how much or how little i eat, about 15-30 mins later my stomach is completely empty.
WHERE DOES THE FOOD GO?!?!?!

this is driving me crazy!

Post subject: Re: morning sickness is weird (complain about morning sickne
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:27 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Morning sickness is all kinds of sucky! I agree, it seems like what works is different for everyone. My vomiting triggers were eating simple carbs (smoothies, fruit, etc) on an empty stomach, brushing my teeth (induced gag reflex when I brushed my back teeth), and swallowing my prenatal (just. so. gross). I think the last time I threw up was around 16 weeks.

I don't have any unique advice, but tonnes of commiseration!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I feel for you. Morning sickness stinks! I did think I had some mild improvement with taking a B6 supplement. I also occ took 1/2 of an OTC unisom (recommended by my OB for nausea) and that helped too plus really helped me sleep. Otherwise the only thing that got me through was a constant slow ingestion of ginger ale and crackers. (probably why I gained more than half my pregnancy weight in the 1st trimester!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah i just meant this thread to be for commiserating.

ugh.
i feel like bleh.

i too have been surviving on ginger ale. im really worried about the amount of sugar/HFCS im taking in. i did manage to find some cane sugar ginger ale at TJs but i went from NEVER drinking to soda to 1-2 ginger ales a day. :-/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:58 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I had it all day long, from the first bathroom trip at 4 AM, until about 8 at night. "morning." hmmph.

For several weeks I ate only bananas, Rice Crispies with plain soymilk, black beans, homemade baked tofu, corn tortillas, apples with peanut butter, and pineapple juice. People said simple carbs would be good but the smell of bread also made me feel pukey, so that was out.

Some things that helped me were sucking on lime halves, drinking unsweetened mint tea, and chewing ginger candies from the Asian market.

But hang in there! The nausea lasted until about 15-16 weeks for me, and nothing since has been as bad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

did anyone get headaches frequently when they were pregnant?
when i went to the dr last week she asked me a bunch of symptoms and one was headaches and i said no and BAM JUST LIKE THAT right after ive been getting headaches in the afternoons.

they feel like coffee withdrawal headaches. dull and achy. but it's been probably 2 months since i quit coffee soooo........

ugh i dont want to take any meds but sometimes i just think i have to. i have extra strength tylenol and i know they said not to use extra strength but it was all i could find at the time so i usually just take one.

im trying to drink lots of water as that's the only thing that i can think of.

i think it has to do with being at work and staring at a computer all day. maybe i should start using my "eye lube" more. lol ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:04 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I take two regular Tylenol + a cup of caffeinated coffee for headaches while pregnant. Works pretty well for me! If the headache is really minor, I sometimes just drink coffee since I figure that coffee is probably safer than Tylenol (but I have no proof for this at all-- I'm probably mostly looking for an excuse to drink coffee).

I get fewer headaches while pregnant than not, though, so it doesn't happen too often (3-5 times a month).

Last edited by helbury on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:04 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

Did the doc check your blood pressure? I had very low blood pressure during my pregnancy and it did cause headaches. I also got rid of the problem by drinking a cup of coffee in the morning.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

at my last appt they said my blood pressure was perfect but maybe it's gone down.

we have one of those home blood pressure cuff things cause my husband had "white coat syndrome" high blood pressure a few years ago and the dr told him to record his blood pressure at home for awhile to make sure it was indeed that rather than actual high blood pressure. so ill have to check tonight.

i found quitting coffee completely helped me in other areas. i had really bad insomnia and i didnt think the coffee had anything to do with it because i usually dont drink coffee past like 1-2 in the afternoon but as soon as i stopped drinking coffee i can fall asleep fine.

also i noticed on the rare occasion i do have a small cup of coffee now, not only can i not sleep but the next day i will get a migraine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

YES, I am getting headaches too. I've been taking Tylenol and feeling bad about it every time. I also try to use heating pads around my neck and massage/physiotherapy if you have access to it. Those help me a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:32 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im really aggravated.
im at 10.5ish weeks and i THOUGHT i was starting to feel better and then yesterday i puked up my breakfast.
that was the first time i puked through this whole pregnancy.
really? im goign to START puking at 10.5 weeks?
ugh.
and it was a bagel. one of the least offensive foods i can think of.

now im scared to eat cause today im at werk.

im constantly tired and constantly feel bleehhhhhh....

grrrrrrr........

whine whine whine moan moan moan bisque bisque bisque

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:40 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm so sorry. :( I ended up with a Rx for Zofran so I could work without vomiting (I worked in a bakery...all the previously wonderful smells made me miserable!).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think im most frustrated because through it all no matter how bleh i felt i kept saying to myself "well i havent been puking so that is good"

AHHHHH!!!!!

hopefully it was a one time puke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I only puked once with Beetroot -- about 20 or so weeks in and it was after eating some delicious cherry tomatoes. With Raygold, the puking didn't start until he was big enough to crush my intestines. I would wake up in the middle of the night, shiitake until morning, and then vomit. Repeat once every 1-2 weeks until birth. :/

...Why am I having a third again? ;D Oh, yes, beause Raygold was totally worth it, even though my pregnancy with him was totally traumatic.

Has anyone tried hula hooping to relieve morning sickness or pregnancy-related intestinal woes? I've noticed hooping really helps me when I have to burp and it's not coming up and when my stomach is feeling a bit off. I'm going to try it for morning sickness relief this time around, but I was wondering if anybody else had tried it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:36 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Nothing made sense to me about morning sickness, not even the name. For me, morning was when I was feeling my best. Nausea would strike in the afternoon and always in the evening. Ate first it was just nausea, then progressed into daily vomiting. It didn't matter what I ate or didn't eat. Ginger didn't help and neither did extra B vitamins. I just had to ride it out. For me it stopped between 15 and 16 weeks. It seems like it will go on forever and I whined and complained the whole time about how awful I felt. It sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:35 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I totally agree Biodancer. NOTHING about it makes sense and it’s totally different for everyone. It’s maddening. You can’t figure out what is going to make you sick or what will make you feel better. I mean I puked because of a BAGEL. A bagel is something I would eat if I had a stomach ache to KEEP FROM PUKING.
Crazy.
I thought I had turned a corner on this whole nausea thing and had a great night last night. I felt like shiitake in the morning but as the day wore on I felt ok and it’s audit season at work so im super busy so maybe that kept my mind off things. When I got home I actually had energy and was wandering around the house cleaning and making dinner and washing dishes, something I haven’t had the energy to do in…..???????? like 2 months maybe?
Then I ate a shitload of dinner. Yum!
This morning I felt crappy again and have felt crappy all day. my biggest issue lately (TMI time) is ive been hugely constipated. To the point of like severe discomfort.
Today and yesterday were very similar. Felt like I had to poop and just couldn’t for the life of me. By the afternoon I was practically in pain and finally went to the bathroom and was able to poop. I almost yelled outloud when I did I was like YESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive never had this issue before and the discomfort is insane. It’s like a different level of nausea plus the pain/discomfort.
I cant figure out what im eating that is making this worse or what I should be eating to make it better. Ive definitely been eating more processed foods than normal because I just haven’t had the energy to make anything and the convience is super helpful.
Though last night we made some yummy roasted veggies.
I stopped taking my iron supplement cause at my first appt my OB told me to keep taking it as long as it wasn’t making me constipated. So I haven’t taken one of those in like a week or so.
Ugh.
Im not looking forward to tomorrow cause I envision it will be more of the same.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh, god, why does everything have to smell?!!

Today, I am thankful for fresh fruit and homemade salsa. Also, Mr. Crabby came home with fresh figs (he hit the grocery store after going to a Beer Festival and came home with a ton of clearance produce). Fresh figs are like the antithesis of morning sickness. Today, at least.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:43 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Ugh. Mine is in full swing over here. I almost threw up dinner last night. I fell asleep right after eating so that might have had something to do with it. I have not been able to eat much today. The only thing I actually enjoyed was a granny smith apple and orange ice pop. And sucking on ice cubes. Making food for Ada is the worst, so many awful smells.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i am very greatful i never had the smell aversion.
just constant nausea and a lot of low grade headaches.

i actually called my OB office yesterday morning cause they told me if the nausea got really bad to call them cause they could give me something for it but they must have weird hours on thursdays cause no one picked up.
then as the day wore on i actually felt ok so i never called back.

today im having some serious allergy issues or the beginning of a cold cause i just have snot pouring out of me. BUT i have had zero nausea today so i guess im greatful. still feel like shiitake but it's a different kind of shiitake! ;-)

tomorrow morning i have an appt with my acupuncturist and im really hoping it will help my back pain when sleeping issues. and if she can jab some needles in me for nausea that would be great too!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:52 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

sashi wrote:
Ugh. Mine is in full swing over here. I almost threw up dinner last night. I fell asleep right after eating so that might have had something to do with it. I have not been able to eat much today. The only thing I actually enjoyed was a granny smith apple and orange ice pop. And sucking on ice cubes. Making food for Ada is the worst, so many awful smells.

OMG, granny smith apples are so good when I have morning sickness!! I had some rocket lollies (popsicles -- I had a coupon and the whole box was only 25p), but we ate them all (they were so good). I should make some fruit juice popsicles -- I have one of those plastic DIY popsicle thingies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Does anyone have any weird morning sickness remedies? I mean, not the usual stuff you read about. And not oral sex because just about the last thing I want to do when I'm nauseous is stick a dick in my mouth.

And even more importantly, anybody have a remedy for the extreme fatigue of the first trimester? I was tired during my last 2 pregnancies, but this time, I feel like I have been drugged. I have so many chores to do and feel like I just can't stay on top of them. (Dishes are especially tough because they involve food and smells (and, thus, lots of dry-heaving).) And, of course, I also still need to take care of my kids, even though I just want to sleep all day instead. For once, the kids didn't get me up until 7, but I thought they got me up really early like they usually do because I was so exhausted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:51 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

TCC, here is the tea recipe my acupuncturist gave me for morning sickness. It kind of works! (I never found anything that totally worked...)

Quote:
Morning Tea:

1/3 Umeboshi plum (or 1/8 teaspoon of Umeboshi paste)
½ teaspoon Tamari sauce
3-5 drops ginger juice
1 teaspoon spring or filtered water
1 level teaspoon powdered Kudzu
1 cup boiling Kukicha Tea (aka: Twig Tea). If you are using bulk tea us about 1 teaspoon per cup of water.

Mash plum into a paste and place in a tea cup.
Add Ginger, Tamari, Water, and Kudzu.
Mix together until Kudzu in dissolved.
In a separate cup steep the Kukicha tea for about 1-2 minutes and strain. Keep it as hot as possible.
Combine all ingredients, stir and let steep for 15-20 second.
The mixture should turn a dark color. If the Kudzu remains milky this indicates that the Kukicha tea was not hot enough.
Serve hot.

Morning tea strengthens the stomach by creating an alkalizing environment. It can be used for nausea, diarrhea, motion sickness or morning sickness. Morning tea can be used at any time of day prophylactically or as symptoms arise. If symptoms persist consult your health care practitioner.

Umeboshi plums (salted plums), Kudzu (a root often used in cooking as a thickener), and Tamari (similar to soy sauce but with less sodium), can all be found in the Japanese section of most health food stores (like Whole Foods Market or Wheatsvill Co-op). If you cannot find ginger juice, dice fresh ginger and steep about ½ teaspoon of it with the Kukicha tea. You can also purchase Kukicha tea at Whole Foods or Wheatsville.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Wow! I'll look for that stuff at See Woo the next time I'm in Glasgow -- there aren't ANY health food shops in my area and the ones I've been to in Glasgow were too small to have a Japanese food section. See Woo is a Chinese place, but they have a Japanese section.

Mandycoot, thank you for this -- thank you also for not just rehashing all the allegedly-weird remedies you can find on-line. :D I also heard smelling grapefruit soap helps (I read that on www.kellehampton.com when she announced her latest pregnancy).