| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: The Great Big Birth Stories Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:31 pm 
Inflexitarian

So I should remember to write out mine now that newbaby is two weeks old before my memory completely fails me!

It was a rather overwhelming and confusing day, mostly considering that I'd had a 47 hour labour at 41+5 with my older daughter so despite my midwife telling me throughout pregnancy that I'd probably have a much shorter and potentially earlier birth, I just couldn't believe it was happening so quickly so my mind was not in the right place!

Slight backstory, Friday afternoon [37+5] I went for an ultrasound to check estimated size so we could make a decision on whether to attempt a birth centre birth or go to hospital, baby was estimated at 9lb1oz already so when I saw my midwife on Monday [38+1] she said we'd go with birth centre up to 39 weeks as even with the inaccuracies of those scans, I was obviously not having a small baby, and having already birthed a 9lb1oz baby resulting in shoulder dystocia, we didn't want to take risks. We decided to do a stretch and sweep to help hurry baby along, and I was 1cm at that time, which made my midwife think I wasn't close to ready, but to me, I felt like a winner because I was only just 1cm after 30 hours of labour last time!!

4am Tuesday morning [38+2] woke up and felt crampy, or convinced myself I was feeling crampy, and tried to go back to sleep. By 6 I realised I was doing some pretty serious breathing to get through the 'cramps' and admitted to myself that I was in labour, but when my husband got up for work and asked if he was likely going to need to come home early I brushed him off and said I'd let him know but probably not because I was thinking there could be days of this to come yet.

By 7 when Westiegirl was up and I was moving around I started to realise that I needed to kneel and hold onto something each time a contraction came, and I texted my midwife to let her know that I was in labour but would be in touch later in the day, and texted my mum to ask her to come and pick up Westiegirl when she was ready.
By 7:30 I had been paying enough vague attention to the clock to see that contractions were only about 2 minutes apart, waited till 7:45 to text the husband to ask him to come home from work because I felt bad that he had only just got there. Texted midwife again to say it had only been 4 hours total but as things were quite close together, should we be looking at doing anything yet? She called me back to say she was on the other side of the city with her husband who was just going into surgery... and asked me to actually keep time for 15 minutes and let her know.

By now my mum had arrived so I was a bit more able to use a timer as I wasn't trying to distract a two year old at the same time, and within 10 minutes it was really clearly 50 second long contractions 90 seconds apart so I started calling my midwife back but couldn't get through. Eventually she called back and got straight in her car to come to my house but 15 minutes later she'd barely made any progress as it was rush hour so we talked about calling an ambulance to take me to the birth centre but unfortunately realised an ambulance would only deliver me to a hospital anyway so decided to just drive to the local hospital. Husband got home about now, loaded his car up with towels and somehow stumbled outside and into his car, 6 or so minute drive to the hospital was probably the longest of his life, but oh well!

Got there just after 9am, met my midwife's practice partner who she'd sent to prepare the room for us as she was still in traffic but luckily she arrived minutes after we did. She checked baby's heartrate with a doppler, and started telling me to use my energy to push not just shout [was getting pretty loud by this point!] but then checked and I was only up to 8cm. Few more minutes of just hanging out on the bed having seriously strong contractions, then she suggests I might want to go to the toilet [it's a trap!!!] and helps me walk, my water breaks as I stand up, then the second I sit down I feel unbearably strong pressure and she tells me we need to get back into the room right now so this baby wasn't born in the toilet. Cue me shouting that I can't walk, but somehow I did, and baby was born about a minute later, 9 minutes after my water broke and 20 minutes after arriving at hospital, another gorgeous girl.

My mum had followed us up to the hospital with my daughter and she came in to meet her tiny sister a few minutes after she was born, which was fitting considering how awesome she was at being my labour coach for the hour+ we were alone at home this morning!

Baby hung out on my chest for the next two hours before being weighed and measured, and she looks almost exactly like her big sister except with a full head of hair, where Westiegirl was bald for about her first six months. She was slightly smaller, at 8lb12oz, but still a healthy size for 38 weeks and I'm ever so pleased she didn't stay in an extra nearly four weeks!!

eep sorry this will probably take longer to read than it took me to birth my baby!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:30 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Loved this story!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yay, fantastic story!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:43 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Wow, that was a quick labor! So glad you didn't have a toilet baby, haha. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:24 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Wowza, what a difference from your previous labour! I'm so happy that everything went well!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:01 am 
Semen Strong

What a great story! Hurrah for OWWB2!!!

Congratulations!

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:52 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

wow! what a great story!
so very different from your first labor you must have been in shock the entire time!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:52 pm 

I had a dr appointment on 7/29 at 40+1. She did a check and told me that I was 2cm and 70% effaced. She did a sweep and stretch and was hopeful that I'd go into labor soon. I knew they were going to start forcing the issue of induction so I hoped that she was right.

The next morning I woke up and had minimal cramping. I went for a 3 mile walk and bounced on the yoga ball but nothing seemed to be happening. I was bummed and ate chocolate and watched Netflix while sulking.

I started getting crampy at 5pm but there was nothing timeable. Then at 5:30 my water broke. I immediately started having contractions 3 min apart. Within an hour they were really intense and I was having trouble breathing through them. The doula arrived around 7 and helped me but it quickly got to the point where the contractions were on top of one another and I wasn't getting a break. I didn't know any better and figured I was still in early labor and I was just being a wimp. I wondered how the heck I was going to get through another 8 hours or so.

The doula knew better and said we should call a cab. By the time I got into the cab I was feeling pushy and getting freaked out. Somehow I got up to triage and the doctor said I was fully dilated. They rushed me to a delivery room and out she came 20 minutes later. So from the time labor started it was 4.5 hours!

No tearing, no stitching, and she spent allllll night nursing, so I'd say we're doing pretty good so far!

Her name is Elizabeth and she was 8lbs4oz and 20 inches. I'll post a pic when I get home and I'm on an actual computer rather than my phone.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:04 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Congrats, lobsteriffic! I'm so glad it sounds like Elizabeth had a fairly swift and uneventful arrival into the world. Wishing you both lots of love and happiness <3.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:16 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Wowee! Wow! Wow! Congratulations lobsteriffic!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:50 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Wow! So fast! When baby was ready she was really ready! I wonder how that cab driver felt with a baby about to be born in the backseat! So exciting. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:55 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

That's so crazy how fast that happened! So much congrats! Hope you're healing well and can go home soon. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:04 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Lobster, that is an awesome story. Love the name, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:43 pm 
Nailed to the V

Congratulations lobsteriffic! What an exciting story! And I love the name (it's my name too!)!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i cant believe how crazy quick it was for a first baby!

glad everything went well and hope it continues to go well!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:37 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

You are amazing, lobster! If you ever have a second baby you may have a home birth whether you plan one or not...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:16 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Aww...sounds like it all went smoothly and I'm so glad, lobster. Traffic is so the worst right now, too, but I'm glad you made it to the hospital in time! I'm so excited for you and her name is beautiful! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:05 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Lobsterrific!! Congratulations! What a great story, and I love the name!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

I missed your birth story OWW but wow that's a great story! I'm a labour denialist too, haha.

Congrats lobster, glad you didn't have a cab baby! I hope it was good fast instead of scary fast.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:03 am 
Inflexitarian

haha nearly toilet-baby and nearly cab-baby, these cheeky babies in a hurry!
Am amazed how fast your labour was, Lobster, you'll definitely be a prime home birth candidate if you do it again! Echo annamal, mine was almost scary fast for me and that was second time around, so hope you didn't feel too overwhelmed by it all!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:47 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Okay, so labour was 4h25m and kicked off at 4am. I called for an ambulance at maybe 5:30 or so and had to talk to 999 lady while I waited for them. The ambulance took over an hour to arrive! So now I know all about the 999 operator (who said I was the most composed person in labour she'd ever talked to) and where she is honeymooning and how old she is, etc.! :D

So ambulance guys arrive and it turns out they are from Clydebank and since the address in the system said [My Village], Helensburgh, they went to Helensburgh and then took [The road I live on that goes all over] all the way to my house, went past the house, had to turn around, etc. THEN they take the long way back to Helensburgh again and go through Helensburgh to get to Alexandria, so it took nearly an hour to get there -- the midwives were all, "Where is Crabby?!!" and called both emergency services and Royal Alexandra Hospital.

So the ambulance arrives (Clydebank Davy is in the back with me and we were exchanging funny stories) and I get wheeled in, I tell everyone that Davy tells great stories, I announce I will have the baby within the hour, say goodbye to the ambulance guys, use the toilet, and then have the baby! It all went so fast, I was there for maybe 45 minutes before I popped and it didn't seem that long. I remember my waters bursting and then having a B-I-I-I-G contraction with 3 good pushes in it. They said he was out in one push and I didn't even realise at first and kept asking, "I'm really done? He's out?" even though I was vaguely aware of seeing his head and watching his body come out while I pushed (my birth position of choice is sitting up).
(Also, gas & air makes such a HUGE difference during labour, it seems cruel that it's not a thing in America.)

After the birth, the midwives said I didn’t even really tear and that I only had a wee graze on my perineum. I was still out of it and asked, “how is my asparagus?” Meaning haemorrhoids, etc. The midwife looked at my asparagus, looked at me, and deadpans, “your asparagus is fine, too,” and everybody laughed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Good chuckle at the end there. Lovely story overall.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:54 am 

Will add to the Google doc!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7