| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Great Big Birth Stories Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Wow, what a story, mollyjade. I am so glad you are all right and Jonah's all right! Sounds like a frustrating experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:55 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thanks for sharing your story, mollyjade! I can't imagine having to be in labor that long when you knew you were having a c-section, just because your doctor was busy. Wow. So glad you are both doing well!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tuesday night I lost my mind and decided my apartment needed two hours of furious cleaning. Finally got in bed around 1, couldn't sleep, fell asleep for a little cat nap, woke up. Then I felt a pop and thought for a minute it was just my pelvic joint popping which it has been doing daily for a few weeks. But then a trickle of water started coming and when I attempted to gingerly get out of bed a giant waterfall started and I knew for sure my water had broken.

Woke up husband with instructions to call doctor and my mother to come watch Malka. Got in shower. Had a good cry in the shower about the possibility that this birth was gonna go down line malka's since it started the same way and I was having zero contractions. Got out of shower, husband had fallen asleep because he has no sense of urgency and didn't really believe the doctor would tell us to come to the hospital right after water breaking (I am GBS+ so of course she would). So then I call my doc (who said what I thought she'd say) and my mother. Husband finally gets up and takes a long asparagus shower. I called our doula just to keep her in the loop.

Finally around 4:30 we start off to the hospital. We stopped and picked up a dozen bagels to share with the nurses. Get into triage around 5:30. Triage doesn't believe my water has broken. Get asked same questions five hundred times. A resident wants to give me a vaginal exam, which I don't want. Finally we are told we aren't going to be admitted without sufficient evidence of water breaking so I consented to the exam around 6:30. Exam is inconclusive except I was 2cm. So then she proposes a speculum exam (Jesus Christ), but when the adjust the bed to do that they finally see a gush of fluid come out and I can be admitted!

So we get to the room. My new nurse pokes me and fails to start a functional IV. The phlebotomist comes and takes blood badly. I told them to go find an anesthesiologist to start my IV because I am not screwing around with any more bad needle sticks. So then there is a shift change, new nurse seems awesome and says, well of course we will get the best person to stick you, I don't want you hating me for the rest of the day! The anesthesiologist shows up around 9 and starts an IV, my doc comes in to say hi and says she is changing the plan for my antibiotics so I have to wait another hour for the drugs to finally arrive. I took a walk around the floor for about an hour and actually got some real contractions. 10am I get hooked up to medicine and the monitors and am having regular 1 minute contractions every 4-5 minutes! On my own! Without pitocin! Without a breast pump!

So that continues for about an hour and then the abx are done. By now my doula has arrived. We go for another long walk and I have a lot of contractions. At this point I decided my doula is awesome and I love her. Get back to the room and get checked again - still 2 cm. Tried not to lose it, had another good cry. Everyone tried to talk me down a little. Then I got hooked up to the telemetry unit so I could move more. All of a sudden the contractions became insane, with very short breaks and a ridiculous amount of pain. Another hour passes. I begin to lose my mind. Can't breathe through things, can't recuperate between them. I did a lot of screaming and crying. Kept trying to convince myself I could survive anything for a minute, but then the minute would start and I decided I really might die. Started to beg for an epidural. Felt the constant need to bear down.

End part 1, interrupted by visitors.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Begin part 2!

So everyone is like, if you feel the need to push you have to tell us. But I thought I was being ridiculous because I was probably like 4cm or something stupid like that. So I kept asking for an epidural and it finally comes. Took a long asparagus time to really kick in and still was really light so I kept feeling a lot of back labor and downward pressure. Finally I was comfortable enough to be checked and I was fully dilated! So of course I was losing my mind - I was in transition.

I labored down for awhile longer, got a "whiff of pitocin" because my contractions became very spaced out. My blood pressure also got super low. So I was shaking a lot and my doc kept putting off the pushing because the baby wasn't all the way down - all that waiting took as long as getting from 2 to 10 in the first place. When I finally started pushing it was really efficient, took maybe half an hour, and everyone was super enthusiastic and positive.

When the baby was born it was passed right to me, they waited about 5 minutes to clamp/cut the cord, and then I got to hold the baby for like 2 hours skin to skin without anyone bugging me. I got just one stitch and feel only a little swollen today. My lower back is pretty sore because that's where I felt most of the contractions.

And the baby was ginormous. 9lb5oz, 21 inches. Nursing like a champ.

The end.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

wowzers!!! sounds like overall it wasnt too long of a labor????

so glad they did the delayed cord clamping and left you alone for skin to skin that is awesome!!

based on the pictures on facebook most of that 9 lbs is in the CHEEKS!!! <3 <3 <3

i really hated when they tell you not to push when YOU REALLY NEED TO PUSH BECAUSE YOUR ENTIRE BODY IS TELLING YOU TO PUSH.

pretty sure that's when women turn into the screaming angry swearing people you see in the movies. LIKE F YOU DOC I AM GOING TO PUSH NAOOO!!!!!!

thanks for sharing Ariann. glad it went well overall and Pants Baby didnt end up being a Pants Baby!

this makes me realize i never wrote out my birth story.
maybe i should do that...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:50 pm 
***LIES!!!***

If my water hadn't broken early it could easily have been a pants baby because I would have waited too long to go to the hospital and it all happened so fast. From water breaking to birth was 15 hours, from first contractions to birth was about 8 hours, but would probably have been more like 5 or 6 without the epidural slow down.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:19 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Yay Ariann! Thank you for sharing your story! I'm so happy for you!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:42 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for sharing your birth story Ariann! I am so glad your labor went well, especially because you had such a rough time with your first delivery. It sounds like everyone was wonderfully supportive (except for the 500 questions about your water breaking).

And wow! 9 lbs 5 ounces is such a change from teeny tiny baby Malka! And hurrah for champion nursers! Sending you lots of good thoughts for an easy start as a family of 4 and continued good health for you and Baby! And yay for an end to your SPD!

So so so so so happy for you guys!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:56 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yay!!! So happy for you, Ariann! Thanks for sharing your story!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:01 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Aw, thanks for sharing and congrats!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:16 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

OOh! Good story! Thanks for sharing. BIG baby! So glad nursing is going well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:47 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

such a good story! The cheeks on your baby are killing me. Just killing me. Do you just kiss them all day? I would. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So, Mollyjade and Ariann....Are you guys *sure* your water broke? ;D
Congratulations, girls!!! So happy for both of you! <3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

WOW, congratulations, Ariann! The whole "confirming your water broke" thing would have driven me nuts, which would not have been pretty, but you handled it with aplomb. Thanks for sharing your story! So happy for you all!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dont understand why they need to confirm if someone's water broke.

i mean most people dont have a flood of water gush out of htem randomly.

or do some people show up at the hospital and claim their water broke when it hasnt????

i dont get it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:05 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

You would not believe the range of situations that walk into labor and delivery. One woman's "I'm hemorrhaging" is a streak of pink on her underwear and another's "I'm spotting" is her sitting in a pool of blood. It's just really hard to know what's going on without seeing it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:02 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

What a story!! Congrats, Ariann!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:03 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

mooo wrote:
You would not believe the range of situations that walk into labor and delivery. One woman's "I'm hemorrhaging" is a streak of pink on her underwear and another's "I'm spotting" is her sitting in a pool of blood. It's just really hard to know what's going on without seeing it.

so basically what i thought.....people are wackos!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:27 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

LisaPunk wrote:
i dont understand why they need to confirm if someone's water broke.

i mean most people dont have a flood of water gush out of htem randomly.

or do some people show up at the hospital and claim their water broke when it hasnt????

i dont get it.

The OB nurse who saw me claimed a lot of women accidentally pee their pants and think it's their water breaking.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:06 pm 
Nailed to the V

mollyjade wrote:
The OB nurse who saw me claimed a lot of women accidentally pee their pants and think it's their water breaking.

Ummmm so naive question. Can't you tell when you've had an accident vs. your water breaking?

Pregnancy is terrifying.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I have heard of people who didn't have a huge gush but when my water finally broke I thought at first I peed my pants but then it kept coming out and I had no control over it like you would if you were peeing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:36 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I've heard of catching some in a Tupperware to show the hospital. If it works, it sounded brilliant!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:06 pm 
***LIES!!!***

From the way my water has broken twice now, I cannot imagine confusing it with peeing yourself. Nobody has a bladder that big or that persistent.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

For some reason, there was no water breaking with Beetroot (just a little gush when he came out). With Raygold it popped a few mins before he did and with Vax, it burst all over the midwife, who was just leaning over to check my nethers. So I have never gone into the hospital with my water already broken. Thank goodness it's not a requirement, I'd've had 3 unintentional homebirths. ;p

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:01 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Great story, Ariann, so pleased you had a more positive experience, and finally got to meet your supersized vegan baby!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next