| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving with toddlers and preschoolers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:14 am 
Saggy Butt

So I have accepted a new job in another state and now I am starting to think about moving...how does one do this with two tiny people underfoot who need so much stuff? We are going to do a U-Haul (probably). I am interested in anybody's moving experiences with kids - what tips you might have on making things smoother.

I am particularly wondering what people do about sleeping arrangements. What do you do in a motel with two children who fall out of bed on the regular? Neither will sleep in a port-a-crib. I sleep on a mattress on the floor that is pushed up next the wall currently so nobody can fall out - but in a motel?! An entertainment during the days...and what do you do on moving day when all the stuff is being carried out?

I am probably making a bigger deal out of this then it needs to be - but moving as a single adult was a huge ordeal - so moving a whole family is super daunting to me.

Post subject: Re: Moving with toddlers and preschoolers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:47 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I bet it's really common to dump kids off with their grandparents during the move and pick them up after. It sounds like some rough days of travel. Wish I had some advice. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:52 pm 
Saggy Butt

No advice on the moving part, but I have slept in hotel rooms with kids who roll off beds and are too big for portacribs. We've always just put pillows on the floor by the edge of the bed and hope for the best. Most hotel rooms have carpet if kid misses the pillows....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

how about sleeping bags on the floor? not the most comfortable night but it sounds like maybe it's not going to be a comfortable night anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:44 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

can you request a cot and put the mattress on the floor? I think that would be the easiest option and maybe kind of fun for the kids too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

the cot on the floor is a GREAT idea Torque! If we didn't sleep on it - it could be used as the roll-on-to- thing on the floor! Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:15 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I hate trying to sleep in a hotel room with a toddler since they go to bed so much earlier than I want to. I've sat on the floor in the bathroom before just to read my book! If you can get some kind of suite or a room with some kind of divided space that makes things easier.

As far as falling off the bed, you can roll up a towel and tuck under the fitted sheet to create a bumper. I also just put pillows on the floor and hope for the best.

A fridge is amazing to have. I like to make overnight oats in hotel room with a mini fridge.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

And hotel beds are always so high off the floor! We get a room with two beds, I sleep on the outside, toddler in the middle, and pillows on the other side. For some reason pillows stop my kid from rolling past. Now that we have another baby I'm not sure what we'll do..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:45 am 
Saggy Butt

Butternut wrote:
I hate trying to sleep in a hotel room with a toddler since they go to bed so much earlier than I want to. I've sat on the floor in the bathroom before just to read my book! If you can get some kind of suite or a room with some kind of divided space that makes things easier..

No worries about this...my husband was still wresting with the 3 year old at 11:30 last night trying to get him to sleep...my kids are night owls!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:18 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Will you have any help loading and unloading the truck? If you do, it's probably easier if one of you takes the kids out, and the other directs the movers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:27 am 
Saggy Butt

Yes - we will have help for the load/unload. Going out is probably a wise choice. I can just see someone getting crushed under a fridge.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:15 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We just did a cross-country move and then a cross-state move with my kiddo. We had movers do the actual move, so that made it a bit easier than the U-Haul situation. Mostly, one of us took Phineas out of the house somewhere while the other attended to the moving stuff. It took way longer than having two people do the work, but I can't imagine that Phineas would have been anything but underfoot. If you can afford some help with either packing or loading the truck, it will definitely be worth the money. It took my husband several days to pack on his own and a full day to unpack (and he basically just randomly shoved things into closets or it would have taken longer).

As far as sleeping in hotels, we stick Phineas between us in the bed or do pillows on one side if only one of us fits in the bed. (In a related story, why is it so hard to get a hotel room with anything other than 2 double beds?) I have a book-light for reading in bed after Phineas is asleep, which I mostly use for travel situations.