| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Breastfeeding and alcohol
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Breastfeeding and alcohol. Where do you stand? I know what the recommendations are, but as always they don't provide any research of evidence in support. Kellymom has a conservative recommendation with a few, dated, citations. Is there a good research review out there?

Post subject: Re: Breastfeeding and alcohol
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I know Jack Newman has something on this - his recs are liberal. My midwife with Malka told me to sit down with a beer and start nursing. So I did - every night for like two months, didn't seem to make the kid drunk. I just sent my husband out to buy me a six pack. What I've always heard is that a drink or two over a few hours is fine and you can nurse at any point during that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Ariann wrote:
I know Jack Newman has something on this - his recs are liberal. My midwife with Malka told me to sit down with a beer and start nursing. So I did - every night for like two months, didn't seem to make the kid drunk. I just sent my husband out to buy me a six pack. What I've always heard is that a drink or two over a few hours is fine and you can nurse at any point during that.

CHEERS.

Also I just found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24118767

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dont have any links to back this up but i remember the breastfeeding class i went to at the hospital when i was pregnant the LC running it said you basically would have to be wasted for it to impact breastmilk.

im not really a drinker but on occasion i have one hard cider (mostly because i wouldnt want more than one) or on vacation i might have one margarita or other such mixed drink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I read that beer is supposed to increase your supply! I'm not saying go out and drink a six pack, but it's not like there's an alcohol-only tube from your esophagus to your boobs.

My personal stance is that drinking in moderation and breastfeeding is fine. You don't want to get shitfaced anyway because you might drop the baby.

This is not my opinion, but I know a girl who is convinced the 'don't drink while breastfeeding'-thing is one of those ideas pushed by formula companies and misogynists! It's a conspiracy! ;p

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:39 pm 
Huffs Nooch

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
I read that beer is supposed to increase your supply!

Dark beers are supposed to be good for supply.

The above has probably offended you. I have found it impossible to post to these forums without offending someone. I have preemptively said 25 hail seitans in the hope that I may appease the ppk gods and not be smote from these boards.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just was a participant at a seminar run by a health professional and f.a.s.d expert. She subscribes to the "pump and dump" recommendation.. to waste a feedings' worth of milk after drinking and before feedi.g babe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:46 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

The amount of alcohol in your milk is proportionate to the amount that is currently in your blood, so pumping and dumping makes no sense unless you are wasted and your breasts are about to explode.

I am pro-breastfeeding and drinking in moderation. You're not going to find much research on the long term effects on the kid, so it's okay with me to go with my common sense on this one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:11 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think it's fine. Not a good idea to be totally wasted while handling an infant, but that's true whether you're nursing or not. I drank very little while I nursed, but that was because it makes me sleep badly. I was already tired enough!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:23 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Another perspective, from the American Association of Pediatrics: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... /e827.full

Quote:
Alcohol is not a galactogogue; it may blunt prolactin response to suckling and negatively affects infant motor development.98,99 Thus, ingestion of alcoholic beverages should be minimized and limited to an occasional intake but no more than 0.5 g alcohol per kg body weight, which for a 60 kg mother is approximately 2 oz liquor, 8 oz wine, or 2 beers.100 Nursing should take place 2 hours or longer after the alcohol intake to minimize its concentration in the ingested milk.101

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

mooo wrote:
so pumping and dumping makes no sense unless you are wasted and your breasts are about to explode.

im really immature and the mental image this is giving me is making me giggle