| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 year old with cradle cap?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:38 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Anyone know if it's normal for an almost 2 year old to get cradle cap? It's itching her pretty bad. More importantly, any tips for removal and prevention? Preferably less messy than schmearing oil all over her head, then combing? If not, I guess I'll have to break out the coconut oil...darn, tasty coconut toddler head.

Post subject: Re: 2 year old with cradle cap?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:38 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My older son never had it as a baby and then, boom, two big stripes of it at age 2. Super weird. I'm not sure what caused it, his pediatrician made some remark about an immune response but I didn't really follow up. We tried coconut oil, olive oil, combing, T-Gel, nothing had any effect. PS I don't recommend the T-Gel, it's super hard to wash out and gave him a rash on his body. :( Finally a few months ago I shampooed him with gentle shampoo, conditioned it, and then went through with a baby comb and gently scrubbed it all off, then conditioned again. It hasn't come back at all. One thing is that it's gross but it's not hurting anything. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:48 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

The boy had cradle cap pretty badly when he was smaller. It went mostly away and then came back when he was about 2. I think I washed his hair with Head & Shoulders (my shampoo) and it went away and didn't come back.

I don't know if I really recommend that, but it seemed to work for him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

the musical fruit wrote:
Anyone know if it's normal for an almost 2 year old to get cradle cap? It's itching her pretty bad. More importantly, any tips for removal and prevention? Preferably less messy than schmearing oil all over her head, then combing? If not, I guess I'll have to break out the coconut oil...darn, tasty coconut toddler head.

Raygold is 2-3/4 and still has a little patch from babyhood that I am chipping away at slowly, but surely. He had it all the time when he was little and I had a great removal method.

I'd stick some kind of moisturiser (oil, cold cream, lotion, etc.) on his head for a few minutes, then wash his hair (something he REALLY fights now, hence the persistent patch) with a mixture of baby shampoo and baking soda, just scrubbing it in circles with an old tooth brush. Then rinse. That is usually enough to remove the cradle cap, although a little combing out of any scragglers followed by a second rinse helps, too.

I don't like oily baby head (and subsequent grease stains on everything), so this worked well for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

I would never have thought of using an old toothbrush, I bet that works loads better than a comb. Thanks, guys! My little bug loathes hair-washing as well, so this could get interesting lol.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:47 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

FWIW, Freya had a resurgence at a little before a year, that's hanging on. It's much less than when she was a newborn though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:18 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im bumping this thread back up because i noticed this morning Charlotte has a small amount of cradle cap back on her head. she's almost 15 months. she has tons of hair so i dont know how long its been there. not long i think because i like to comb her hair alot becuase the curls amuse me so i think i would have noticed before.

i will admit we dont bathe her that often. maybe 1-2 times a week. would more baths help? seems like it would make it worse because you're stripping the oils out.

she only had a small amount as a newborn and i cant even remember when it went away. fairly early. so weird to see it again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:25 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Plain baths won't help it I don't think. We used the coconut oil method and it worked really well. After bath we doused the area with coconut oil and then put a hat on him (to avoid grease stains) left it on all night and combed out the scales in the morning. After 3 days it was gone and never returned. This was on a little baby though - I don't know that BP would leave a hat on or not...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:38 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

she has a ton of hair so im worried about greasing her up with oil as i think that is basically what we did when she was a newborn (except for the hat part). i dont think the hat would stay on her overnight.

i guess i could just put a little coconut oil right on the spot were it is and try not to overdo it and hope she's not a big grease pile ;-)