| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Hospital bills
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

mooo wrote:
That is just disgusting. At least it's an improvement that now the ACA mandates an annual out of pocket maximum of $6350. We have a catastrophic plan for my partner that basically pays for nothing before that out of pocket max, and that would be a lot of money for us but at least we wouldn't go bankrupt over it if he ended up in the hospital.

Of course that means my out of pocket max went up this year, because we used to have a limit of 5k.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lurky mclurkerson wrote:
Yeah moo, it's nice to know that there's a limit to the damage. In that thread that tofulish mentioned there was a poor guy who's cousin passed in his twenties because he reached his lifetime limit cost wise for treatments (he had cancer). Can't imagine the pain of that poor family and countless others. I don't think that the ACA goes far enough but thankfully it's a start!

I cannot believe that it is legal. How completely horrifying. Another BIG problem with a privatized health care system is that it makes it almost impossible to make structural decisions based on public health (or to even try to measure out what decisions would be good to make for public health) because people are not always covered or are covered in different ways, and so the decision will always be for an economic reason in one way or another. I cannot believe that an insurance company would EVER get to be the authority as to whether a patient should be treated. It should always be the decision of a group of medical experts with a background in medical philosophy and the patient + family. What the everloving fork.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:06 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

My normal, intervention-free, practically unattended hospital birth* of a healthy child, with no tearing that needed to be stitched or anything else was billed to my insurance for $28,000. They actually paid about $1700.

* no, seriously. Nurse had her back turned, messing with the monitor. In house Doctor was performing an emergency c-section, and the on-call Doctor was enroute, arrived about 15 minutes later. Nobody caught my baby, she just dropped onto the bed. No kidding.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Catnip13, that is so funny!
(Not the billing part, the practically unattended part.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:11 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Sooo basically, you paid for a very expensive hotel with a shitty bed?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:51 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My friend recently had an unplanned home birth (waited too long to go to the hospital) and even though her doula caught the baby in her home, her insurance was billed for a hospital birth. Luckily, this has no financial repercussions for my friend, it just doesn't make any sense. How can the doctor and hospital bill for that?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:57 pm 
Semen Strong

Wait, so they never went to the hospital and never checked in and the MD never came to check her out, even post-partum? That sounds crazy!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:01 am 

No, they went to the hospital after the birth. The baby was checked out and she was too. It's just when she got the bill, it clearly lists billing for a hospital birth (which didn't happen).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:01 am 
***LIES!!!***

Butternut wrote:
My friend recently had an unplanned home birth (waited too long to go to the hospital) and even though her doula caught the baby in her home, her insurance was billed for a hospital birth. Luckily, this has no financial repercussions for my friend, it just doesn't make any sense. How can the doctor and hospital bill for that?

I wonder if she "pre-registered." That seemed to be a big to do at the hospital I gave birth in.

Eta:simulpost. So I guess they just assumed that the birth had happened there?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:06 am 
Semen Strong

I guess it would be interesting to see how the hospital breaks out the charges - because I know there were separate fees for the L&D suite and then for the Maternity room and care etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:16 am 

Yeah, I think she should alert the insurance company, but she feels like the doctor is pissed that she stayed home too long and that he had budgeted for the birth? I don't know, I think it's an example of how powerful a doctor is to a patient; she has a good relationship with him and doesn't want to anger him by questioning the billing.

I think the lesson here is to scrutinize the bill because mistakes happen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:25 am 
Semen Strong

I doubt the doctor cares - they don't really do their own billing. Even when I've tried to talk about billing with a medical service provider, I've had them pass me over to the billing department really quickly because they don't know and don't want to know about how its handled.

I agree that she should alert the insurance company and just let them deal with it, because yes, mistakes happen all the time. Especially in hospital billing, in part because the people providing the services and the people doing the billing have almost no contact with one another. And I'd be concerned that I was committing insurance fraud if I knew about an incorrect billing and deliberately didn't correct it. I'm not an insurance lawyer, and I don't know what the obligations on the insured are re correcting errors etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:23 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

oddspongeout wrote:
Sooo basically, you paid for a very expensive hotel with a shitty bed?

Pretty much. Though I did not have a copay for it, so I had no OOP expenses. Until the OB office tried to bill me a $300 "professional fee." (I totally refused to pay it, since there was no doctor present at my daughter's birth, and they backed down.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:21 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Good for you, catnip! Very glad you stood up for yourself!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6