| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hospital bills
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:50 pm 
Semen Strong

If your insurance is really good, it might all be covered, depending on the terms. A 30% coinsurance seems crazy high, but I remember when I was looking for an alternative to COBRA, that is all I found in my price point (NJ about $500 pp). Plus there are so many other expensive thingsyou could end up wanting like a lactation consultant, doula etc. My acupuncturist was over $2000 to maintain the preg and manage morning sickness etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:34 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm lucky to have only had to pay a few $15 co-pays so far, and I'm pretty sure the hospital stuff is covered, but I'm still forked by the forked up insurance system because it is limiting my maternity leave. My partner doesn't get insurance from his shitty job, so my work has to cover him, me, and the baby. That means I can only take off 12 weeks before I would have to start paying cobra, which I cannot afford (especially on unpaid leave!). 12 weeks doesn't seem long enough to me and it is going to kill me to go back so soon, but I don't see any other way to make it work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:37 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Tofulish wrote:
midwife...hospital...November

Wow! We have both midwife and hospital bills for a November baby too! What are the odds?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm sure I'll want a doula, classes, the whole she-bang. :) I know thats my choice and perhaps we could do the whole thing cheaper, but why not put money away and if we don't use it all, college fund!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:10 pm 
Semen Strong

I loved the whole shebang :) I became a birth nerd and loved it. You are only going to have your first baby once, might as well have fun with it. I really loved getting maternity photos too. And I really feel like my doula was the reason my birth went the way it did. All our plans went out the window when our labor was different from expected and she kept us on track and not panicking.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It took nearly a year for my insurance company to finally sort out their end of the bills, and that was only with extreme badgering on my part. I was getting reimbursed for outrageously high deductibles + coinsurance by a thing called the Difference Card from my job, which had a deadline that everything had to be submitted by Sep 30, 2011. I had Kai on Oct 11, 2010, and as of Sep 29th EmblemHealth STILL hadn't figured out their portion of the bill! They kept going back and forth with the hospital, disputing what they owed.

I must have called them & the hospital no less than 30 times between Jan & Oct. Every time I called they would tell me something different, and say I had to call back the hospital, then the hospital would also say something different every time, and tell me to call back the insurance, etc. etc. I was so frustrated I wanted to put someone's head through the wall!! Then many times they would be so vague about what was happening, when I asked them point blank questions they'd get all evasive, which I just don't understand since it was my freaking bill. The hospital kept sending me notices that they were going to send it to the collection agency, even though I'd called 500 times and every time they told me I couldn't pay the bill until the insurance company sorted out their shiitake.

It finally turned out that they had incorrectly applied my $2000 deductible twice, so they did indeed owe the hospital an additional $2000. That's what they originally had told me back in January when I first called, then changed their story repeatedly until a year later it finally came back to that.

I can't remember exactly what I ended up paying at the moment, but I know it was more than $2000, even with the difference card reimbursements.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:17 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

JENNA wrote:
sashi wrote:
And then we got a bill for the anethesiologist that did my epidural that was over $1000. Apparently he was out of network (even though the hospital was in network) and I guess I was supposed to think to ask that when I was in labor.

Did you call the health insurance about this? The same thing happened to me and my insurance paid for 1/2 of it. I called to ask why and they said because he was out of network and then the woman on the phone said "Oh, was this done while you were in the hospital?" When I said "yes" she then did something on her end to have it resubmitted so that they would pay for the whole thing since I didn't have control over who gave me an epidural..etc..

This really pissed me off because I didn't know that all I had to do was call the health insurance to have them pay for things like that when I had an out of network Dr at a hospital that was in network. We paid quite a bit out of pocket when we had Reno because of this. I'm happy that I don't have to pay all that now with Miles.

Yeah, we never called our insurance. I never even thought to do that at the time. I guess we now know for a future baby!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:59 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Yep--hospital bizills are insane in the membrane here in the land of the "free." Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for insurance, or we'd be living in the streets panhandling.

Blasto: $2,500 for delivery, $1785 for epidural, $x for induction meds, $12,000 for two days in the hospital-(our wrist bands have upc codes on that the nurses scan for every forking thing they do for you.) I wouldn't be surprised if they charged me for flushing the toilet, water, etc.

I think insurance covered all but $1200.

Fini would have been twice that amount because of the c-section and 4 day stay in the hospital, but they determined I healed well enough to leave after day two. I know the whole enchilada was around 20k--including the tubal ligation. I remember that amount being around 2 grand, and we laughed as we saw our "out of pocket expense" for my tubes being tied as $12.86--which is about the cost of a big box of condoms. We ended up paying $1,500 out of pocket.

I'm soooo grateful for health insurance--we definitely pay enough for it. I would also happily pay more in taxes if I knew my country provided nation wide health care for all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:34 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Omigosh you guys! I had no idea the cost you paid out of pocket, even after insurance. That's forking insane.

Hey, I have a couple spare bedrooms... anyone wanna come live with me in Canada? It's cold right now, but we'll save you some cash.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:34 am 
Not NOT A Furry

(Get your hip replacement while you're here!)

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

As a pregnant American lady living in Canada, it still blows my mind every time I go to my midwife for a checkup or go in for an ultrasound/blood work and the receptionist just swipes my healthcare card, I get examined, and then I leave. It feels like I'm committing some sort of crime not paying out of pocket for everything.

I hate how there's already so much to think about when you're pregnant and then have to worry about how you're going to pay for everything on top of it. So yes, to reiterate MM, the US is forking stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:39 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Reading these posts, I realize we were really, really, really lucky.
At the beginning of the pregnancy, like 3 or 4 weeks in, I had one exam and an internal US. I paid out of pocket.
When we finally were moved into the US and I wasn't working yet, I applied for a program for low income pregnant women and kids under 3, which covered 100% of my costs. When I finally started working, I really only worked for about 6 months and they counted yearly income, so I was still eligible. The only thing I had to pay was the first US that we got before we were approved.
Considering that the NICU was at least $20k a day, and my daughter was there for almost a month, then went to the intensive care unit of the kids' hospital next door after a heart surgery, I can't imagine dealing with the bills while post-partum and in crisis (and with another newborn attached to my nipple). A few bills did get sent to us by accident, as they continued to every year when we had the renewal assessment for the kid's medicaid (she was put on it within two days of birth) and seeing those made me want to vomit, even though I knew we didn't have to pay them.

ETA: and, if I had had to pay a penny for the birth that our OB botched up, I would have probably gone to jail for assault.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think one of the hardest aspects though it not having any idea of how much things cost and with insurance how much you are going to be expected to pay. I get random bills here and there for things I really thought would be covered and other things that I was SURE wouldn't be are taken care of 100%. So strange. My current plan pays 100% of all in-network prenatal care but apparently 0% if someone out of network lays an eyeball on you...so I guess during labor I will be having to ask everybody who comes in if they are in-network...like they probably even know. I worked in group practice for 4 years and really had no idea what insurance plans we were on...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:09 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Oh man. Our hospital bills were nutso. The bill for me was expected- We paid the $2000 deductible on what I think was a $15,000 bill. And Luka was in NICU for 30 days, and his hospital bill was just over $279,000. That doesn't include his radiology bill (around $1500), cardiology (I don't even remember- $5,000?), and neonatalogy bill ($8,000 I think). Our owed for his ended up being a couple grand after insurance coverage. We make payments still.

At first the hospital refused to pay his $279,000 because we didn't get pre-approval for his NICU stay, and I nearly had a heart attack. But they ended up taking care of it after much hassle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:56 pm 
Semen Strong

Yikes RS!

I just got our bill for the jaundice treatment - billed $8,200, insurance paid $1,200 for a 2 night stay in the pediatric wing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:05 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I thought of you guys yesterday when I spent 4 hours in Urgent Care having every test on earth done to me and wondering how much it is going to end up costing me out of pocket.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:26 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh no! C&S why were you in urgent care? Are you okay?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:33 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

AlwaysHungry wrote:
Hey, I have a couple spare bedrooms... anyone wanna come live with me in Canada? It's cold right now, but we'll save you some cash.

I've got one up for grabs too!
C'mon everyone! Move up here!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:39 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I have a kidney infection! Which is actually okay and much better than some of the other options that they tested for first. (The doctor who saw me was like "congratulations! it's not cancer! and i have more good news! it's not heart failure either!") This one will hopefully end up being much more cost effective than the kidney infection I had while pregnant with the Emperor, because we caught it before the super high fever/delirium/week long trip to the hospital stage this time.

This morning I was like shiitake balls, I don't even know if that doctor was in my network or not.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:56 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

AmandaMelanie wrote:
AlwaysHungry wrote:

I've got one up for grabs too!
C'mon everyone! Move up here!!!

I so would if I could, but my husband would have to work in a different field or we'd have to be independently wealthy. You have no idea how badly I want to be Canadian.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:09 pm 
Semen Strong

coldandsleepy wrote:
I have a kidney infection! Which is actually okay and much better than some of the other options that they tested for first. (The doctor who saw me was like "congratulations! it's not cancer! and i have more good news! it's not heart failure either!") This one will hopefully end up being much more cost effective than the kidney infection I had while pregnant with the Emperor, because we caught it before the super high fever/delirium/week long trip to the hospital stage this time.

Oh C&S, I am so sorry to hear that! I hope that this can be stopped early and doesn't end up being as incapacitating as last time.

Sending tons of good thoughts for a fast and complete recovery.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:31 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Butternut wrote:
...I'm still forked by the forked up insurance system because it is limiting my maternity leave. My partner doesn't get insurance from his shitty job, so my work has to cover him, me, and the baby. That means I can only take off 12 weeks before I would have to start paying cobra, which I cannot afford (especially on unpaid leave!). 12 weeks doesn't seem long enough to me and it is going to kill me to go back so soon, but I don't see any other way to make it work.

This is the case for us, too. I'm still taking a year off from work because I just refuse to be away from my baby all day long just to have good health care (not to mention that %75 of my pay would go toward childcare). We have a pretty decent state-wide plan that covers young children without insurance, so babyEnchilada will be on that from 3 months-1 year. I was happily surprised to learn that his naturopathic pediatrician will be covered completely by the state plan - my REALLY good insurance covers it up to $1,000/year with a $10 copay and I was stoked about that!

I work for the state, so I have great insurance and retirement, but my actual pay is really low. If I would have had a hospital birth and gone to an obgyn, I would have paid $5 an appt. and $20 for the actual birth. I opted to do a homebirth and a midwife, and my insurance pays for 70% (prenatal, birth, and postpartum care is $3,200 - such a good deal!). The only bummer is that I had to pay up front (insurance reimburses after your last postpartum appt. at 6 weeks), so I had to put it on my credit card and pay the $100 minimum payment every month, so that's about doubled the cost of it. Much cheaper than for most Americans, though :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:15 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

After reading all of the other comments in this thread, I understand even more why the birth rate goes way down during a recession. Babies are big business.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:35 pm 
Semen Strong

JENNA wrote:
sashi wrote:
And then we got a bill for the anethesiologist that did my epidural that was over $1000. Apparently he was out of network (even though the hospital was in network) and I guess I was supposed to think to ask that when I was in labor.

Did you call the health insurance about this? The same thing happened to me and my insurance paid for 1/2 of it. I called to ask why and they said because he was out of network and then the woman on the phone said "Oh, was this done while you were in the hospital?" When I said "yes" she then did something on her end to have it resubmitted so that they would pay for the whole thing since I didn't have control over who gave me an epidural..etc..

I just got a $150 bill for the hearing and sight testing at the hospital as my insurance didn't cover it initially. I called them and growled about the fact that I had no choice - literally they took the baby and ran tests Nobody gave us an option to refuse them and they aren't Cadillac care - they are basic tests every baby gets to make sure they can hear and see They are going to reconsider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:34 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Tofulish wrote:
JENNA wrote:
sashi wrote:

I just got a $150 bill for the hearing and sight testing at the hospital as my insurance didn't cover it initially. I called them and growled about the fact that I had no choice - literally they took the baby and ran tests Nobody gave us an option to refuse them and they aren't Cadillac care - they are basic tests every baby gets to make sure they can hear and see They are going to reconsider

It's so frustrating that insurance companies do crepe like this because they know most people won't fight it. A business plan that involves making sick people fight for every penny is so forked up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next