| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The playground Holiday gift thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:50 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I've had my eye on those super expensive Tegu blocks ever seeing them at a friend's house. Both my kids looove building toys so when I saw these for like $40 off at zulily the other day, I got 'em...that's definitely Dahlia's xmas present from us sorted. Wooo earliest ever!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

This year we are doing Something they want, something they need, something they wear and something they read.

Reno is being taken to see the NJ ballet preform the nutcracker for something she wants, for need she's getting an art table set up in her room. Not sure on the wear and read yet.

I have no ideas for Miles yet. The train book Ariann mentioned sounds perfect for him though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:12 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Audrey wrote:
I've had my eye on those super expensive Tegu blocks ever seeing them at a friend's house. Both my kids looove building toys so when I saw these for like $40 off at zulily the other day, I got 'em...that's definitely Dahlia's xmas present from us sorted. Wooo earliest ever!

Oh man thank you! I've had those Tegu blocks bookmarked forever. Today is the last day too!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oooh, I've coveted those in the past as well but I'm not sure she'd use them enough to justify the cost (Vi already has a couple sets of blocks, plus duplos and megablocks, and has taken to precariously stacking my groceries lately). Let us know what you think of them!

I don't know what we're going to do this year. Probably some new books… I know my sister had talked in the past about getting her that Plan Toys green dollhouse and might get it for V if she doesn't at some point. She really likes the wooden trains now but we haven't had any success with our half-asparagused ebay and craigslist monitoring, and they're so much new. She might like some more accessories for her baby doll. I don't know. It just all seems like more junk, you know? I always feel like we already have so much STUFF. I'm thinking of maybe spending the money on tickets to fun things and whatnot instead.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:51 pm 
Chip Strong

Ooooo...I might have to think about those blocks! Ada has been really into her non magnetic wooden ones lately.
I'm not sure what we're doing this year between Hannukah and Christmas and dividing up when the kids get presents. I feel like it's going to be a constant stream of gifts for a month from family and us. And I don't really like the idea of that. Our tiny apartment is already way crowded. Anyway, Ada has been using her train tracks a lot so we might get her another subway train and some more tracks. Also some more art supplies and a book. Alice doesn't really need anything that we don't already have but we can't seem to find Ada's sensory ball so we'll at least get one of those.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:51 pm 
Married to the wolfman

LisaPunk wrote:
BabyPunk will be 8 months at Xmas this year so we wont really be doing much which is good because we're also broke right now.
im thinking of getting her one "big" toy and maybe that's it.

The Emperor was 3 months for his first Christmas and it was great because we were so broke, I couldn't have gotten him a bunch of crepe even if I'd wanted to.

The next year, when he was 15 months old, we were still broke and I still didn't get him much of anything! I got him a ball and some bubble bath. My in-laws got him a red wagon which is/was the best thing ever.

His third Christmas, 27 months old, was the first time he really cared about presents and he still didn't have particular requests. He was really into his play kitchen so we got him a lot of play food and more bubble bath. (Dude likes his bubble baths, what can I say?) Last year was samesies, he wanted presents but didn't care what. I think he asked for dollhouse toys so we got him some of those and then a couple of other miscellaneous small things.

This year he had really particular requests for his birthday... so I'm guessing he is going to have some pretty specific requests for Christmas too. That's probably what we'll get him, some subset of his list. I also want to knit him something but I don't know what.

M was just under a year old last year and I don't think I got him anything at all though I may be misremembering. This year I'm hoping to knit him a little stuffed cat because he is crazy for cats. But it might get pushed back to his birthday.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Wow those blocks are cool! I will have to keep those in mind for later on. This year we do want to buy the baby a nice set of medium size wooden blocks. I would prefer natural wood in medium to large size (ie not in any way able to fit then in the mouth). Anybody know of a good brand? Most sets I have seen seem to have such small pieces.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

coldandsleepy wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
BabyPunk will be 8 months at Xmas this year so we wont really be doing much which is good because we're also broke right now.
im thinking of getting her one "big" toy and maybe that's it.

The Emperor was 3 months for his first Christmas and it was great because we were so broke, I couldn't have gotten him a bunch of crepe even if I'd wanted to.

The next year, when he was 15 months old, we were still broke and I still didn't get him much of anything! I got him a ball and some bubble bath. My in-laws got him a red wagon which is/was the best thing ever.

His third Christmas, 27 months old, was the first time he really cared about presents and he still didn't have particular requests. He was really into his play kitchen so we got him a lot of play food and more bubble bath. (Dude likes his bubble baths, what can I say?) Last year was samesies, he wanted presents but didn't care what. I think he asked for dollhouse toys so we got him some of those and then a couple of other miscellaneous small things.

This year he had really particular requests for his birthday... so I'm guessing he is going to have some pretty specific requests for Christmas too. That's probably what we'll get him, some subset of his list. I also want to knit him something but I don't know what.

M was just under a year old last year and I don't think I got him anything at all though I may be misremembering. This year I'm hoping to knit him a little stuffed cat because he is crazy for cats. But it might get pushed back to his birthday.

I'm making grey this http://www.spudandchloe.com/patterns/cats-pajamas/ it's a knitted cat that has a zipper in the back, it's supposed to be to put pajamas in for slumber parties, but it think trucks and robots and stuff will go in there too.

Grey is super, super into robots and we spend half the day building robots out of megabloks, so I think I'm going to get duplo blocks to move things up a notch. I also got him a playmobil advent calendar.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ooo! That's a super cute pattern, LB. I might have to knit that. I miss having time to knit...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:24 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I am at an education conference and we used hieroglyphics blocks today to retell/interpret a story. This company has so many cool blocks: http://unclegoose.com/products/specialty?page=1

A lot of them have 3D pictures/letters/numbers, would be good for kids with sensory issues or limited vision.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:35 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Littlebear, that catsack pattern is awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:08 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

annasrobbie wrote:
Wow those blocks are cool! I will have to keep those in mind for later on. This year we do want to buy the baby a nice set of medium size wooden blocks. I would prefer natural wood in medium to large size (ie not in any way able to fit then in the mouth). Anybody know of a good brand? Most sets I have seen seem to have such small pieces.

We have a few sets of Haba blocks that are awesome (pretty sure our main set is this one and then we added a smaller set of colored Haba blocks. The only ones we had to remove for a while were the little cone-shaped blocks (there were only 6 or so in both sets so no big loss). We also have a set of Uncle Goose blocks and they're really nice as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks Mandycoot! I have been googling wooden blocks off and on for months and never saw that set and it is really just what I was looking for! Especially nice to know the size of them since it is hard to tell from the pic!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks for all the excellent ideas for my friend and her baby! I knew the PPK was the place to turn. I can't believe that giraffe chew toy is so expensive!!! But it gets great reviews so maybe I'll splurge for that and a few books, a few 12 mo outfits, and knit some baby socks. I'd so so love to offer babysitting services for a night out but unfortunately I live far enough away that it's not really feasible. What do you guys think about a gift card to a restaurant for the parents, instead?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:25 pm 
Married to the wolfman

couroupita wrote:
Thanks for all the excellent ideas for my friend and her baby! I knew the PPK was the place to turn. I can't believe that giraffe chew toy is so expensive!!! But it gets great reviews so maybe I'll splurge for that and a few books, a few 12 mo outfits, and knit some baby socks. I'd so so love to offer babysitting services for a night out but unfortunately I live far enough away that it's not really feasible. What do you guys think about a gift card to a restaurant for the parents, instead?

I think a gift card to a restaurant is great!

We never had a Sophie but the Emperor was so enamored of one that one of his friends had. Gross but true, I think he learned to crawl primarily so he could get to that thing and jam it in his mouth.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:27 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

couroupita wrote:

If it does takeout/delivery that would be nice! However, it was quite a while before we actually felt like we had it together enough to eat inside a restaurant. It would be especially nice for them to be able to use a gift card for takeout/delivery when the baby is first born and they aren't recovered and feeling up to leaving the house.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:46 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

What is it about Sophie? I pull it out once in a while and Grey is still mesmerized by it. We also have one if their other toys, we call it bluebee, cause it's blue and kind of has a nipple shaped head! anyway! he also still loves that one! So weird. Baby crack.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Scarlett also loved holding and gnawing on Sophie at 3 months! I also have no idea why babies love that thing so much.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

littlebear wrote:
What is it about Sophie? I pull it out once in a while and Grey is still mesmerized by it. We also have one if their other toys, we call it bluebee, cause it's blue and kind of has a nipple shaped head! anyway! he also still loves that one! So weird. Baby crack.

I was also going to suggest the vulli chan blue toy before I read everyone say Sophie. It was by far my son's favorite toy at that age. The funny thing is I got it as a shower gift and had basically no clue what it was for. Well turns out my kid wanted to breastfeed like 24-7 so that nipple shaped head became really obvious lol! It made many a car ride and food shopping trip bearable.

Books were also a great help for us at that age. He wouldn't sleep through the night so at 3 months we started a bedtime routine that involved reading 3 books to him. Eventually it worked and now at 3 years we still read him books every night before bed, which he really loves. So the board books are still getting use for years.

As far as what we're doing for xmas this year, I will be the 1st one to admit I went totally overboard again this year. I've already completed shopping for him! I was home sick from work one day and just shopped online and got him everything.

At least on the upside I got a lot of educational things. Here are my favs (yeah i'm a nerd):
Learning Resources Primary Science Set:

The Sneaky Snacky Squirrel Game

Backyard Safari Field Scope

I also got some special scissors and tracing/cut & paste/mosaic workbook craft type things because he is having trouble with his fine motor skills. And a Curious George Goes Camping book.

His grandparents are getting him the Land of Nod Tumbling Dominoes set because he loves Big Weld from the movie Robots.

I also scored a big thomas the tank engine duplo set from ebay over the summer.

So yeah, overboard again this year!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:05 pm 
Married to the wolfman

We have that field scope! My in-laws got it for E at Goodwill, and he uses it to examine bugs and stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

coldandsleepy wrote:
We have that field scope! My in-laws got it for E at Goodwill, and he uses it to examine bugs and stuff.

Cool! I was hoping it works OK since I only ordered it over the internet, so I'm glad to hear your kid uses it.

I used to love looking at bugs and stuff so hopefully I can get him into these new activities. Though I have a feeling he will just play with his duplo train set all day everyday!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:33 pm 

This thread has given me several ideas. Cold & sleepy or anyone else who might have insight, do you think a wagon would be functional in nyc? We have been slogging through major stroller wars and I am still wearing my 23 month old! I'm hoping a radio flyer wagon could be an option, but I have never seen anyone using one in the city which seems odd. I don't mind being a weirdo (already am) but maybe everyone knows something I don't? Too big?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:10 pm 
Married to the wolfman

They are a super big pain getting up or down stairs (so bad if you're doing the subway) and you can't take them in to most stores. I used to carry a bike lock and lock the wagon up on the bike rack or whatever... I lived in mortal terror of someone stealing that thing. Um, what else... They can't go on a bus and they are astoundingly noisy, especially compared to a stroller.

On the plus side, you can carry whatever you want in them. I have a picture somewhere of E cuddling a full-sized watermelon in one. We used to take that thing to the farmer's market all the time. He loved it and thought it was so much fun, as did all his friends... I liked that I could pull him and another kid around in it at the same time.

He likes that he can now pull it around! It's becoming more of a toy than a functional thing for us these days.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:44 pm 
Semen Strong

I really liked our little red wagon until L escaped from it :) So if you get one, make sure it has some sort of restraints :)

Our friends use ours out in public here in NJ, so you're definitely not alone. I could see C&S's points making the wagon less feasible in NYC, but that if you had an elevator building and were staying local, it would be pretty nice.

A friend of ours posts the most beautiful pictures of her 2 year old in Central Park, and I kind of have NYC envy right now!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:11 pm 

Well, the restraints in the stroller don't work. She is Houdini with restraints. It's really a negotiation at this point. She will or she won't. I'm just looking for other options at this point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next