| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The playground Holiday gift thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:32 am 
Semen Strong

IKEA has cheap and adorable felt food. We got their vegetable and fruit packets and its so cute.

http://anationofmoms.com/2010/11/everyo ... -ikea.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:35 am 
Semen Strong

I like the IKEA sets of fruit and veg, and they're just $7.99 apiece http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categ ... kea/18734/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:44 am 
And you never will.

Dammit! We just came back from visiting my grandparents and went to IKEA (and bought a bunch of other stuff for him) but I didn't think to get the fruit/veg there. Unfortunately, the closest IKEA to us is 350 miles, so that option is out :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:59 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I want that felt food too... Elijah would love it! I need to get to Ikea, but ours is a horrid place to go to right now. In remodeling/construction to become the biggest is N.America. I could do online shipping, but I don't wanna spend more.

I need a gift idea for Samuel. I have his Santa gift, but nothing from us. Hmm... He's hard to shop for. He won't really play with many toys other than video game stuff, and I don't really wanna buy him more than 1 (he's getting a Mario game from Santa)... and he has enough stuffed animals of Mario. His trains he won't play with no more, and he is slowly starting to play with Hot Wheels, but I want to avoid the 1000000000 cars that will ensue if we start that haha

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:51 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

What about a hot wheels track or playset? That has worked well for us since it gives more focus than just the cars. Our friends have a lot of the matchbox sets that pop-up/can be folded up and those are awesome too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:19 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Poopie, I can go to Ikea and send them if you want, there's one right by our Costco so I'm there a lot anyway. The breakfast set is also cute if you can fudge a little with "oh that's veggie sausage/bacon/fried vegg."

I also like the Melissa & Doug sets because they are a little more interactive - we have one of the velcro cutting sets and the stir fry one. They're a little more expensive, but cute.

I have to say though that one of V's favorite things with her play kitchen is to take a bowl filled with pipe cleaners and pretend they're "noodles" and try to eat/serve them with her chopsticks from the stir fry set. So don't overlook what you already have!

She also reaaaaally, really loves this tea set:
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Laug ... B001IEYXAA

And the duplo cake set with the Leela look-alike on the box:
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-DUPLO-Creati ... B005VPRD2M

Both are plastic, though obviously you can get ceramic tea sets and felt cakes. But for us the tea and cake have really been played with more than the other foods. Well, except for when I get pipecleaner noodles stuffed in my mouth.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

yeah maybe those tracks... I don't really know *shrugs*

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:52 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We just got one of those Melissa and Doug cutting sets and it's a big hit. She loves using the cutting board and serves everyone pieces of the wooden fruit and veg. We also have the ikea felt fruit and veg. I've got my eye on the M&D sushi set, but it might be too fishy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:35 pm 
Semen Strong

We made sugar cookies the other day, and I am eyeing the baking set from IKEA - she would have her own rolling pin, cutters and baking tray, so that would be nifty.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:57 pm 
And you never will.

Tofulish wrote:
We made sugar cookies the other day, and I am eyeing the baking set from IKEA - she would have her own rolling pin, cutters and baking tray, so that would be nifty.

That's one of the things I DID manage to get while we were there! I'm really excited about it.
annak wrote:
Poopie, I can go to Ikea and send them if you want, there's one right by our Costco so I'm there a lot anyway. The breakfast set is also cute if you can fudge a little with "oh that's veggie sausage/bacon/fried vegg."

I also like the Melissa & Doug sets because they are a little more interactive - we have one of the velcro cutting sets and the stir fry one. They're a little more expensive, but cute.

I have to say though that one of V's favorite things with her play kitchen is to take a bowl filled with pipe cleaners and pretend they're "noodles" and try to eat/serve them with her chopsticks from the stir fry set. So don't overlook what you already have!

She also reaaaaally, really loves this tea set:
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Laug ... B001IEYXAA

And the duplo cake set with the Leela look-alike on the box:
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-DUPLO-Creati ... B005VPRD2M

Both are plastic, though obviously you can get ceramic tea sets and felt cakes. But for us the tea and cake have really been played with more than the other foods. Well, except for when I get pipecleaner noodles stuffed in my mouth.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions, and for the super kind offer! I'll have to talk it over with mr. poopie, but my g'parents did just send some money for Peter's Christmas so... how much do you think shipping would be? I'm so bad at guessing that kind of thing! I would gladly repay you in cookies (and cash, duh).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:52 am 
Nooch of Earl

Oooh, being reimbursed in cookies would be epic and awesome, though I know how busy you are around the holidays and don't want to pile on that! Anyway we're really close so if you decide you'd like me to pick anything up just say so and I'd be happy to. The felt food is really light so I don't think that would cost more than a few dollars to ship, even the metal items probably aren't super heavy either since they're kid-sized.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:40 pm 
And you never will.

You're so nice to offer! We talked it over and decided to hold off for now, because we feel like we already got him a lot of stuff. I might take you up on it in a few months for his birthday, though! <3

Speaking of getting him a lot of stuff, I'm sort of afraid we went a little overboard. I mean, it seems like a LOT to me, but then I have to remember that a bunch of it is small stuff, plus we were sent money from my husband's family and from my grandparents to buy gifts for him, so it's not like it's all from us. I had other things I kind of wanted to get for him, but we decided to just leave them until his birthday in July (mostly the play food, plus Play-Doh with a cute Melissa & Doug modeling set to go with, and some more books... my husband and I have VERY different ideas on how many books is "too many").

Things he's getting:

Kitchen from my sister (this will be from "Santa"). It's still in near-perfect condition, and I think she might have a toy mixer she's giving us as well to go with it:
(I'm going to get a basket to go in the cubby to hold the pots and pans, plus add a few hooks at the top for hanging utensils.)

These sets from IKEA to go with the kitchen:
They were out of the toy utensil sets, so we just got this set of utensils from the kitchen section. They might be a bit big, but whatever:

Also all from IKEA, we got this easel and a ton of art/crafty stuff to go with it:
(Whiteboard on the other side, holds a roll of drawing paper)
Apron:
Chalk:
Felt tip pens:
Whiteboard pens:
Paint:
Watercolors:
Extra brushes:
Colored paper:
Kid scissors:

They were out of the stamp pens and the paint box (comes with colored pencils and crayons) otherwise I probably would have gotten those too. I was a little out of control.

We also got this set of small Melissa & Doug puzzles:

This book:

And to open on Christmas Eve, new jammies:

And this movie (it was the first movie he saw in a theater and hasn't stopped talking about it since):

I know that one of my sisters got him a bigger puzzle (like, 60 pieces maybe?) and my mom got him this remote control tractor:

OMG I can't believe how much it is now that I see it all in one post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:42 pm 
Semen Strong

It looks so nice! Someone is going to be a happy puppy!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:16 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Wow, that's quite a haul! Let us know how you like the paints, my MIL got Vi a painting tray for her birthday and she looooves painting but the Crayola washable tempera paints smell like dental latex or something and the scent is totally nauseating and fills the house.

V update. We're talking about either a little workbench or a bicycle. We were at REI the other day and she fell absolutely head over heels with some of the 12" kid bikes there. She seems young to me but seems to "get" the pedals better than she does with her tricycle. So..maybe. Of course my husband is not content to grab one we saw that she liked, it has to become a massive research project to find the single best reviewed toddler bike on earth. Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:33 pm 
Chip Strong

annak wrote:
Wow, that's quite a haul! Let us know how you like the paints, my MIL got Vi a painting tray for her birthday and she looooves painting but the Crayola washable tempera paints smell like dental latex or something and the scent is totally nauseating and fills the house.

I'm glad it's not just me! My husband thinks I'm nuts because I keep complaining about the fumes from that paint.

Well we ended up getting more for Hannukah than I planned. Or rather more expensive stuff than planned. Ada got a new subway train for her train tracks, more train tracks, a book, a cute apron I found on etsy, and then very last minute I saw one 22 piece set of Tegu blocks on amazon for 50% off so I got them. And she got the green toys tea set from her aunt and uncle. For Christmas we got the Ikea play kitchen. Alice, uh, we didn't get anything for. I'll leave that to family because the last thing we need is even more baby stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Suggestions for good presents for a 5-year-old (kindergartener)? For a family that has very, very little space to spare.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:33 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Ariann wrote:
Suggestions for good presents for a 5-year-old (kindergartener)? For a family that has very, very little space to spare.

I just got my 4 1/2 year old nephew a subscription to High Five (Highlights for 2-6). I'm in the "never too many books" camp. We picked up a copy of the magazine so there was something to wrap.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:21 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Tickets to an experience of some sort (Kids' show, movie, museum pass, kiddie amusement park, etc depending on the budget)?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

annak wrote:
Of course my husband is not content to grab one we saw that she liked, it has to become a massive research project to find the single best reviewed toddler bike on earth. Sigh.

haha that is how I am! drives my partner nuts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

tank wrote:
annak wrote:
Of course my husband is not content to grab one we saw that she liked, it has to become a massive research project to find the single best reviewed toddler bike on earth. Sigh.

haha that is how I am! drives my partner nuts

I'm guilty of this as well. I just got the "best" balance bike for babynut but she is not excited about it. Boo. It took her awhile to warm up to the scooter so maybe time is what I need? Oh well...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

annak wrote:
Tickets to an experience of some sort (Kids' show, movie, museum pass, kiddie amusement park, etc depending on the budget)?

We were thinking about that, but couldn't figure out what would be do-able for them considering they have two younger kids to wrangle. One of the best gifts I ever got as a kid was a series of origami classes at the art museum (in Balboa park!), when I was 9 - so I think those are really good gifts if the kid can actually get to them.

mollyjade wrote:
Ariann wrote:

I just got my 4 1/2 year old nephew a subscription to High Five (Highlights for 2-6). I'm in the "never too many books" camp. We picked up a copy of the magazine so there was something to wrap.

Oh, this is brilliant!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Maybe tickets to World of Wings? A friend of ours is vegan and a butterfly expert and she said its really beautiful and not exploitive. http://wowbutterfly.com/

I also really like the idea of classes! Maybe a pottery making thing?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Poopie, I love those candy cane jammies! The puzzles are a good idea, too, I ought to see if Walter would be into those.

We got him this plane that he can take apart and build again:
http://www.amazon.com/Battat-68024AM-Take-Apart-Airplane/dp/B000N5QNSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1386709827&sr=1-1&keywords=take+apart+plane

Pattern blocks:
http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Pattern-Blocks-Boards/dp/B00006JZCG/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1386709943&sr=1-1&keywords=melissa+and+doug+pattern+blocks+and+boards

Some boats for the bath, and a new train for his tracks. He needs a new snowsuit and boots, but we may not wait until christmas for those. He just had a birthday, so we're keeping Christmas pretty mellow. I got some books, but I'm saving them for January when we're flying cross country and need new ad exciting things.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

if anyone needs a suggestiopn for a baby or little toddler BabyPunk went nuts for this puppy.
i got it as a shower gift and its been sitting in the closet in the nursery since then
i took it out like a month ago and she was semi scared of it but my husband brought it out the other day and she went bonkers with happiness over it. BabyPunk is NOT an over exuberant or demonstrative baby. she's pretty chill and she went nuts for the puppy.
she was hugging it and wapping it and smiling like a lunatic.
it worked out really well because my mom came over yesterday and i used the puppy as a secret weapon to combat the stranger danger thing.
it says its 6=36 month age range
i think this is the one we have but we dont have the bonus cd

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Love-to-Learn-Puppy/dp/B00CQHZ032/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386709827&sr=8-2&keywords=fisher+price++puppy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:38 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
Maybe tickets to World of Wings? A friend of ours is vegan and a butterfly expert and she said its really beautiful and not exploitive. http://wowbutterfly.com/

I also really like the idea of classes! Maybe a pottery making thing?

I like the World of Wings idea. He might get a kick of out that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next