| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The playground Holiday gift thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:29 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Tofulish wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
Just put a bow on your boob!

I would, but my husband would almost certainly think it was for him...

hehehehe <3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:37 pm 
Inflexitarian

Kelly wrote:
Silas is getting this as his big gift
He almost got that same little castle, Keenie, but we found a great deal on the firehouse instead.

and I can't say what Shae is getting because he's nosy and last year he tried to spy on the gift thread!

We kind of go nuts at Christmas and buy more than we should, mostly clearance shopping along the way. I feel like a total over-consuming beast reading how sensible you all are.

Whoa. Felix would have loved that!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:07 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:

Leela isn't getting anything from us. She is 8 wks old and pretty much just discovered her fists. She's not getting anything from our families either because we're just not that into one another.

We didn't get Reno anything for her first Christmas. I probably wouldn't have gotten Miles anything either except when I saw what we did get him I knew we had to get it. I just feel dumb waiting to give it to him on Christmas.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:35 pm 
Semen Strong

It sounds perfect! Plus I imagine its hard to give gifts to Reno and not Miles. Excited to see pictures and post here next year!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

To be clear, I have not bought anything for grey, everything listed is from my family!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:33 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

we bought the little man a balance bike (zulily- so a little cheaper) and an easel. I did my first black friday shopping (with him in tow) to get him that easel, but it turned out to be very low key, probably because it was 11 am at Michaels. Anyway, my mother in law bought him a twin bed- we mentioned that we were looking for a bed for him on craigslist, garage sales, etc, and she said i'm coming for christmas (arrives tomorrow) and mailing $200 dollars for the bed- i can sleep on it while i'm there. It cost exactly $200 for the mattress and boxspring, got them this weekend. My parents sent packages, but i haven't opened them or asked- i want to keep it a christmas mystery. My parents don't generally go crazy, my son is the 6th grandchild.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:10 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

ah, i got way more stuff than i had planned. i got milo two baby toys and a hat, and for felix i got a backpack, light-up turtle that shows stars on the wall, a book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006195 ... 01_details), a sweater, and magnetic letter tracing board (http://www.amazon.com/Kido-A-to-Z-Magna ... 283&sr=8-1).

i'm not sure what my parents are getting the kids. my husband's family does lists, and i basically said books, dvds, or clothes were preferred over toys but blocks, duplos, and wooden train stuff is acceptable (because those are by far our most used toys). felix shook some of the gifts, and i think he got two small lego kits and a bunch of books from them so far. one of his uncle's got him the movie The Incredibles, and there are also college funds (started by their savvy uncle) for both of the boys that the family gifts money into.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:13 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ooh! I like that letter tracing board. Filing it away with all the other awesome big kid stuff we can't use yet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:38 am 

I'm not getting the baby anything. She is a newborn. I am thinking about making her an ornament for the tree, a la baby's first Christmas. Most of our ornaments are homemade. I was thinking maybe of starting a tradition of making one a year for her of whatever Is significant or most interesting to her at the time. I think my husband knows this is just a ruse for me to put a breast on the tree.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:42 am 
Married to the wolfman

Butternut wrote:
I think my husband knows this is just a ruse for me to put a breast on the tree.

Ha ha ha... I love this! (And just making her a yearly ornament is a really sweet idea, too.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:47 am 
Nooch of Earl

We get annual ornaments based on where we're living at the time (since we move so often) and it's so fun to go back through the years and look at them. (eg we have a little ferry from when we lived near Seattle, a delft blue bell ornament from the Netherlands, a little vial of sand from San Diego, etc..) I think she'd love putting her ornaments on the tree and hearing the stories about each year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:47 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Butternut wrote:
I'm not getting the baby anything. She is a newborn. I am thinking about making her an ornament for the tree, a la baby's first Christmas. Most of our ornaments are homemade. I was thinking maybe of starting a tradition of making one a year for her of whatever Is significant or most interesting to her at the time. I think my husband knows this is just a ruse for me to put a breast on the tree.

great idea. I got wolverine an owl ornament because he is facinated by the owls on his swing. He also has a skull one that is part of the mobile I made him that he is in love with too. I want to knit him a stocking but who knows if I will do it before christmas. Other than that he is getting diapers from us.
My dad and his wife got him one of those halmark books with the stuffed bear that reads along with you. It is actually pretty cool but the dogs like it more than he does. My mom got him an ergo, a thirsties duo cover and a haba clutching toy (from our list)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:42 am 

I made stuffed dinosaurs for my 4 nieces and nephews. I didn't take pictures of all of them before I mailed them off this morning, but here are the pictures I took (I'm new to sewing, so please don't laugh):

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:43 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

jildez wrote:
we bought the little man a balance bike (zulily- so a little cheaper)

That's where I got Kai's balance bike too. Like um, last spring haha. I never xmas shop before December so that was really unusual for me!

Kelly wrote:
I feel like a total over-consuming beast reading how sensible you all are.

Ha me too! I know his grandparents are also getting him a bunch of stuff, and he already has a ton of toys. I started out this whole parenting thing saying I didn't want my kid to have too many toys! Oh well, so much for that.

Also, tzippy the dinosaurs are adorable. That's so nice of you to make them for your nieces and nephews!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:01 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Oh my goodness, Tzippy, those dinosaurs are great! You could totally sell those on etsy - I would buy them, and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:09 pm 

Tzippy, those are so great! What a cool aunt.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:11 pm 

flavabean wrote:
Oh my goodness, Tzippy, those dinosaurs are great! You could totally sell those on etsy - I would buy them, and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

My boyfriend mentioned selling them last night as well, but the pattern came from a book, so I would assume I'm not supposed to profit from it. Thank you for the compliment, though!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:17 pm 
Grandfathered In

The latest on the Festival of Greed:

GlueGun called me today to tell me what he got for Mrs. Face for Christmas. I said, "How'd you buy that stuff?"

He said, "I told Mama there was something in the store I wanted to get for her and she gave me cash."

I said, "Okay, that's great! After I get home (from work), we'll talk about how we'll work it out. How much of your money you'll pay, and—"

"What?! That wasn't the deal! I didn't agree to that!"

"We'll talk about it later, and everything will be fi—"

"I'm not doing that! The subject is closed!"

And then he hung up on me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:26 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Sorry FF. Sprog still doesn't really see money as money yet, for some reason, and I am sort of thankful for it.

@Tzippy- you are too damn cool!!!

I caved and bought some stuff that Sprog can open, surprise-like. She said she felt funny when kids were asking her what was on her Giftmas list and she said we didn't really celebrate Giftmas. She has so many issues with feeling "different" from other kids (and i'm such a forking bad cop all the time) that I thought I would lighten up a bit and surprise her.
I got her:
- a cute chicken mug (she is sort of obsessive about chickens)
- the Game of Thrones book set (first 4, I will probably pick up book 5, which she really wanted, tomorrow when i'm out alone)
- a guide to dog training
- a guide to local birds, which I know she has really been wanting
- a japanese/english picture dictionary.

She was sort of upset that at the mall I got a bit panicky and didn't want to go into the jam-packed-thumping-music equivalent of Spencer's gifts (did I just date myself? does Spencer's even exist anymore? Is it now Hot Topic or something?) to see/be talked into buying the $100 owl pillow she really wanted. But no way, no how.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Tzippy, those are lovely!

FFace, OY! I wish you much patience in surviving the next few days. May there peace on Earth again after Monday.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Footie, have you made a list of all the fun ways you can make his cute little life miserable? Am I a horrible mom that that's my first instinct after hearing he hung up on you?

Really hope things get better with all this for you FF!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:05 pm 
Grandfathered In

I have not presented him with such a list.

When I saw him after work he quietly told me, "I've decided I will spend $5 of my own money," which is really all I wanted. A token.

It's nice to be reminded that GG is a thoughtful child. He will consider things, if he's given enough room.

Edited to add: when he told me this, he wasn't angry or resentful. He was very relaxed and maybe a little pleased with himself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay GG! I love when the sweetness comes out of them after they try to fight it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:00 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

OK Christmas was totally out of control. What I bought was tiny compared to the grandparents. Kai was scared of all the new stuff after awhile, he didn't even want to open any more presents. I have got to rein them in next year. 1 present each, that's it!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:58 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm curious how things worked out at the Face household, after the pre-Christmas drama

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next