| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: The playground Holiday gift thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:08 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

hahah LP we had at least one, possibly more, of that very dog and MAN it's really kinda creepy but both kids loved it around your punkling's age. I think they might be slightly different now but the one we had for D 4 years ago would randomly bust out with stuff like "I LOVE you" in the creepiest way.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:14 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ha, Vi got the puppy for Christmas last year. She looooves the "head, shoulders knees and toes" mode.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:40 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah it has a creepy "i love you" song too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:08 pm 
Chip Strong

Ariann wrote:
annak wrote:
Tickets to an experience of some sort (Kids' show, movie, museum pass, kiddie amusement park, etc depending on the budget)?

We were thinking about that, but couldn't figure out what would be do-able for them considering they have two younger kids to wrangle. One of the best gifts I ever got as a kid was a series of origami classes at the art museum (in Balboa park!), when I was 9 - so I think those are really good gifts if the kid can actually get to them.

mollyjade wrote:
Ariann wrote:
Suggestions for good presents for a 5-year-old (kindergartener)? For a family that has very, very little space to spare.

I just got my 4 1/2 year old nephew a subscription to High Five (Highlights for 2-6). I'm in the "never too many books" camp. We picked up a copy of the magazine so there was something to wrap.

Oh, this is brilliant!

Ada gets this (birthday present from grandparents) and she loves getting it in the mail every month. I'm sure a five year old would be just as excited to get mail!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:14 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Sashi, what do you think of High Five? We are still getting Hello (the 0-2 one) and it's only recently started to seem maybe a little basic, but I saw High Five at the dentist's office a few months ago and it seemed like maybe there wouldn't be a high enough pictures:words ratio to hold Vi's attention. I'm waffling on whether to switch over.

I do love Hello, though, especially for traveling!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Inez got a subscription to High Five from her aunt and uncle for Christmas and her first issue came yesterday. So far, it's been a HUGE hit. She's already reciting the stories to herself from memory. I'm glad she likes it so much because one of her gifts from us is a Ladybug subscription (we were both huge Cricket fans as kids). The first issue of that hasn't come yet, but I think she's going to like it.

annak, it looks like the High Five format is probably 3-4 short illustrated stories, a couple (illustrated) rhymes, a comic, some picture games and a couple activities. Violet is like 2.5, right? I bet she'd dig it. I will say I'm not that impressed with the illustrations (based off one issue, so super fair) - I'm hoping Ladybug is better in that area. Cricket always had amazing illustrations.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:49 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I had never heard of Hello magazine - I think I need to get that for Giles! This thread is dangerous for me with all its great ideas!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:34 am 
Nooch of Earl

Last year before our trip to Japan I took out subscriptions to Hello, Baby Bug, and National Geogaphic Little Kids. Hello is by far our favorite - the Nat Geo is for a slightly older set (though she does like the animal pictures, she's just not at the level of caring about distinguishing one type of sea star from another)… Baby Bug has more stories in each issue, but they're much more abstract and I don't like the artwork style as much (it feels a little more..old fashioned?) Plus, Hello is the sturdiest - compact but the pages are fairly indestructible.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:22 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

thanks for the reviews!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:43 am 
Semen Strong

I thought this letter from a 10 month old to Santa was hilarious. It lists all the things he wants and stacking cups are no where on the list. http://theuglyvolvo.com/2013/12/10/a-te ... -to-santa/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:31 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

That letter was just shared in our antenatal class group, Tofulish, and as the parent of an 11 month old I can certainly vouch for it's accuracy! Amazingly funny.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just saw that on facebook this morning and laughed and laughed - I am SURE that Giles wrote it and said it was from a 10 month old just to disguise his identity.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I saw that on fb today too and was dying laughing.
The dog hair one was one of my favorites.

I will say though that cell phone would be #1 on BP's list

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Spot on! tiny wu says she's outgrown the knothole in the floorboards but that a 10 month old would like that very much.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Just wanted to pop in and thank everyone for their super helpful suggestions!! Here's what I ended up getting for my friends' kidlets:

3 mo old: Sophie the giraffe, the board books annak mentioned a few pages back, Pat the Bunny (my fav book as a kid!), and I knitted three pairs of booties

4 yo (princess-obsessed) girl: a huge box of crayolas with all these crazy metallic, rainbow swirl colors (I tried looking for the smelly ones I remember loving but I guess that's not a thing anymore?), a princess coloring book (eye roll, but it's supposed to have lots of puzzles and stuff too...), the book Dangerously Ever After about a tough princess, and this really beautiful matching game

and for her 3 yo brother, after reading about all the kiddos here who love trains, this beginner train set.

I felt like the gifts for the older kids were kind of gendered but I spent sooo much time trying to find not dumb, but not boring stuff. I kinda wanted to get the Goldie Blocks set but then I read that they're actually not that good? Anyone checked them out yet?

Thoughtful gift buying for children is a lot harder than I'd thought! So again, many thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:58 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We got Goldie Blocks as a gift for V from my in-laws. She's still really young for it, but thinking back to my own childhood…Honestly, I wouldn't spend your money on it. They're expensive and there are better toys: for engineering, snap circuits are good although aimed at an older audience, BUT i have a friend w/ a kindergartner who's been enjoying them with some assistance… Lego and Meccano (Erector) are also good. Basically, it's a length of ribbon, some spools, a pegboard to mount them on, and a few figurines to spin on top of them with a book that has kind of a contrived story to go along with it. I like the idea of it, but the execution is just not.. a fun toy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:58 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Do you guys have any ideas to get for three sisters 5,7 and 9 years old. Usually I crochet them a little stuffed animal or a little purse, last year I made them personalized aprons, but this year i have no time for anything creative. I want to give them each something small that won't be annoying to their parents. the year we gave them books they were underwhelmed to say the least.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:13 pm 
Nailed to the V

idji~ personalized aprons are a good one. Maybe sock it to me socks? http://www.sockittome.com/cart/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=178
OR that One Direction movie that just came out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:02 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Are they into crafts at all? There are some cute kits out there for kids…for making art, jewelry, simple sewing projects, that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:43 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

it's that time of year again.

my parents keep surreptitiiously leaving behind toy catalogs at my house but BP is only 18 months so right now her favorite toys other than her 3 favorite stuffies are an empty Dunkin Donuts coffee cup, two styrofoam packing things from a document scanner i had to buy for work, a certain kitchen cabinet, one of the drawers in my bathroom, and her infant swing (she LOVES pushing the damn button that plays music.)

other than her absolute favorite BFF 4 eva stuffed bear she hasnt shown much of an interest in stuffed animals but seems to really like these 2 stuffed animal like dollies. they are soft and small and most likely for infants but she still carries them around. i always hated dolls so im at a bit of a loss. the realistic dolls creep me the fork out. id like to try to find a smaller sized doll somewhere in between creepy as fork and just a small infant soft plushy doll. someone gave me a hand made doll at my baby shower. maybe ill bring that out. it's kind of big is the only thing and BP is so wee.
she also still loves that creepy dog toy that sings that i was talking about last year

she loves train tables when we see them but im afraid of buying such a big expensive thing for an 18 month old. im not sure if that interest will wane or get crazier as seems like most kids get really into trains for awhile.

she likes cars and trucks but we already have a few. i thought this might be cool instead of a train table as it has the same function that she likes on a train table (flinging cars down a track and having them crash) http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Little-People-City-Skyway/dp/B00JCA5E8M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414676393&sr=8-1&keywords=fisher+price+city+skyway

im wondering if she will like Little People toys yet. the toys dont really need to be age appropriate for her (though cognitively appropriate) as it seems alot of stuff is aged older just because they dont want small kids putting them in their mouth and she doesnt do that.

id like it to still be a low key holiday season since she's still so young but we'll see what happens with the relatives.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:46 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think I am going to get that same Little people set for Giles. And yes, BP is a great age for the little people toys - they say 3 or whatever because kids aren't supposed to chew and swallow the stuff but you won't have that issue with BP! We are also going with a train set and would totally get a train table but we do not have room.
Does she have melissa and doug type chunky wooden puzzles? Those have been great.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11