| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pacifiers: did/do you use them?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:43 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

mooo, the only problem with your plan is that you'll have to hold the paci in until Scarlett falls asleep. We've done that with Sierra for when she is swaddled and try to make a transfer to her lil bed/chair and if the paci falls out she usually wakes up, except when she is in a deep sleep.

that said, we didn't use pacifiers with Dahlia because she never seemed into them and, after watching what my brother went thru trying to get his girls off them, I was super-glad. With Sierra I use a paci when I get her into her sling to get on the subway because if she starts to fuss a lot, it will calm her down so she's not screaming as I leave my office or on the train. (The train ride is only like 10 minutes or else I guess I'd nurse her if she was really freaking.) We definitely don't want her to be using it for much past like 4 months though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mooo wrote:
We're going to try a pacifier for the first time tonight. Scarlett already has no problem switching between bottle and breast, so I don't see how it could cause any breastfeeding issues. I just hope it helps her get to sleep without needing to have a boob in her mouth since I'm still having nipple pain and I can't really handle them being sucked on all night.

Desdemona wrote:
I don't have an issue with them as long as they aren't used as a substitute for parental attention, or a "plug" to shut the baby up

I saw some for sale that say "Mute Button" on the back. Yeah, I don't really find that funny, and it made me feel guilty for wanting to use a pacifier!

I dunno, sometimes you just need to shut the baby up. I don't think it is possible to use it as a substitute for attention. It takes a lot of work to keep it in their mouths sometimes. Carlos kept trying to put it in sideways and his hands would knock it out. Also, if they have some other need, they will let you know. Like if they need attention right then, babies aren't just gonna be like, I wanted to play with you, but I will just suck on this instead. But if it helps get a fussy tired baby to stop crying and go to sleep, or to calm down in a restaurant, or to stop crying after getting some shots, I see nothing wrong with that. I don't think anyone should feel guilty about trying to find ways to help their baby stop crying.

Carlos doesn't use his pacifier much anymore, but it helped to get him to sleep for a while. Sometimes he would hold it there himself and sometimes I would reach over into the cosleeper bassinet and hold it for him. It helped for car rides too, since he tended to get fussy in the car.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:02 am 
Chip Strong

Well, now that we have pacifiers in our possession Scarlett had the best night of sleep in her 7-week life! She slept from 10-1:30, 2-5, then 5:30-8. I feel like a new woman.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:04 am 
Chip Strong

Oh, what I meant was, we didn't have to use them yet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:11 am 
Semen Strong

That is awesome! And yay for you getting some rest!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:11 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

With my first child I was all no way to using them. Two weeks later I bought a whole heap. They worked well for us, helped soothe my son and were just fantastic. I had stickybeaks tell me I was making a rod for my back blah blah. Then one day when he was 3 months he just took the dummy (pacifier) out of his mouth and threw it out of his bed and that was that. Never wanted one after that. Which is funny in hindsight because he's carried that through until today-- the whole "yep been there done that, this is so last season" and moving on to something else.

With my second child I went in to hospital armed with with a good supply. She didn't take to them as well because she wanted mummy but they certainly helped as she was the biggest demand feeder ever and I was exhausted. She also decided soon enough that dummies weren't her style any more. So luckily for us we didn't have any major dummy attachment issues.

(yeah I know 'dummy' seems wrong to lots of you guys but 'pacifier' is weird to me :) )