| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Going to PDX with a toddler
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:55 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Our little family are going to Portland this summer and it is our first long trip out of the country. Normally she eats the same as us but since we will have limited possibilities to cook, I need some advise to where and what food to find. She isn't fond of tofu atm and we don't give her sugar and try to keep it low-sodium. Any tips for us?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Going to PDX with a toddler
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:38 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I haven't been there with a toddler, and I know the Portland residents will have much better info, but have a fun trip! I think it would be a fairly toddler-friendly city because most of the dining is not fancy. I'm sure Seattle and San Francisco are much less kid-friendly.

Vita cafe seemed like it would be pretty toddler-friendly. And the Grilled Cheese Grill had vegan grilled cheese available (it may not be healthy, but it's a cute place to go).

ETA: It's a chain, but I think they have a Native Foods there now and Native Foods is so, so kid friendly. I go there all the time w/ my 21 month old now that one opened near San Diego. It's 20+ miles away, but worth it! They have a kid's menu, counter service, and there are always other babies and kids there.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The Native Foods is out in the suburbs, but there is a Veggie Grill downtown that is super kid-friendly. I've taken small children to Paradox a few times and that's always gone well. Cafe au Play has vegan options and is a cafe basically designed for toddlers.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:55 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I live here with a toddler! Like Annak said, Portland is so casual that you can really bring a toddler anywhere. Everywhere has multiple booster/baby seats, and it's not frowned upon to let your child wander around and explore a bit. We live in North Portland and tend to go out around here, so places that we've really liked are Proper Eats (veggie grocery store and cafe, has a mega blocks set!), Hopworks Urban Brewery (2 locations, both have awesome kid areas, vegan-friendly), and Vita cafe (veggie cafe with extra large booth seating, kids meals, and some toys). But honestly, you really can take the littles anywhere here! We've gone to the vegan bars (Bye and Bye and Sweet Hereafter) many times (kid-friendly before 8pm) and it's always been fine even though they don't have toys or kid areas... we just play with rocks on the patio and stuff.
What neighborhood are you staying in? Maybe we could do a meetup if you have time. BabyEnchilada is 19 months :)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:09 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

We are staying N Lombard/N Denver so the area is Arbor Lodge. We have been to Portland 5 times before so we are not completly lost in the city, but it is the first time with a child. Normally we cook at our friends house but what I'm looking for is easy grab and go stuff, like ready meals/fruit in a pouch.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:54 pm 

styggavargen wrote:
We are staying N Lombard/N Denver so the area is Arbor Lodge. We have been to Portland 5 times before so we are not completly lost in the city, but it is the first time with a child. Normally we cook at our friends house but what I'm looking for is easy grab and go stuff, like ready meals/fruit in a pouch.

How funny - I grew up 2 blocks from there! We live in St. John's now, which is like 5 miles west. The New Seasons market on Interstate and Rosa Parks is pretty close and they'll have lots of options for quick packaged stuff and they have a deli with vegan options. Fred Meyers is the big grocery store on Interstate and Lombard with a natural food section - it doesn't have the selection of New Seasons, but the prices on Puffs and fruit pouches are better.

Let's see... there's also the waffle cart on Lombard in the Videorama parking lot that has some good choices. The sushi place on Denver and Rosa Parks has a separate vegan menu and makes their own soy cream cheese, and Thai Ginger across the street from there understands vegan and won't put fish sauce in your food. The Kenton neighborhood is just to the north on Denver and there's some good eats there, too - Posies coffee shop has a fun kids room and really good pumpkin bread, there's Cup and Saucer cafe with some vegan brunch options, and the pizza place has a tempeh option with cashew cheese.

Arbor Lodge Park and Kenton Park are really toddler-friendly, and Gammans Park is a nice little oasis for flower picking.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:24 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Well I stayed at this place 2 times before so I know the area well and also St Johns, it is very nice there. But I need som brand name droping so I don't have to spend half a day just reading labels :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:13 pm 

The Happy Family brand is good - a few of their products have yogurt, but it's pretty obvious on the label. We like the puffs and fruit pouches http://happyfamilybrands.com/life_stages/tots/ Pirate Brands Original Tings are good finger food (on the chip shelf) http://piratebrands.com/tings/original-tings and Calbee Snapea Crisps http://calbeeamerica.com/ I think Fred Meyer only has soy yogurt, but New Seasons has a big selection of coconut, almond, and soy. Baked tofu is always nice on the go because you can just eat it out of the package - Westsoy and Wildwood are reliable and delicious, but there are many brands available. I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Proper Eats is such a good idea! It's got a relatively large play area right inside and the food is yummy, all veg/vegan.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:09 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

happy family was just the thing I was looking for, thanx for all the advises.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:00 pm 

We also often get these http://www.earthsbest.com/node/57 the letter cookies are really good, smiley snacks ok.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I don't know anything about kid friendly anything. But when we went to PDX, we shopped at Food Fight for groceries. They are a vegan grocery in the Buckman neighborhood (I think). So we could stock up on snacks and light food to take with us on day trips. Plus they get daily food brought in from Blossoming Lotus (wraps, salads, yogurt parfaits) and Sweet Pea bakery is right next door.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

If you're ever near a Whole Foods grocery, they have a huge hot/cold deli area and salad bar with loads of vegan options and "to go" boxes. You pick and choose what you want and they charge by the pound. We really rely on Whole Foods whenever we travel. But I second Proper Eats if you can get there - one of my favorite places to eat in Portland. And Food Fight! is a safe place where you don't need to read labels.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]