| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet dreams (advice/questions about kid sleep)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:41 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

sashi, maybe it won't take that long...sometimes kids surprise you and get it into a pattern faster than you'd think. I understand wanting to do it gradually though! good luck, and man I know that must be hard with the baby too.
my gripe is that we were stupidly worried about Sierra not getting a decent nap because of D's schooltime falling in the afternoon but woo she's been absolutely fine with the shorter nap during weekdays, albeit a little crankier than we'd like by the time I get home in the evening. But man, D is a complete MESS because she's too wound up from school to take her nap when she gets home... she goes and spends an hour in her room just making a mess instead of laying down, and this leads to many meltdowns (again, right after I get home in the evening because by then she's been up for 10 hours!) So she has to go to bed an hour earlier - right after we eat dinner practically - and conks out really hard and is once again wetting the bed every goddang night because she is just dead asleep. On days she does nap, we have a nice time together after dinner which I treasure, and when she does go to bed, she's able to wake up before she pees in the bed.
I guess my main statement here is: transitions suck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:40 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Oh the no nap days are the worse Audrey! This is partly why we are trying to get Ada to sleep on her own. If Alice doesn't happen to be napping when it's Ada's nap time, Ada just ends up not napping (if I'm home alone with them). And I can't get her to just stay in her room. Then the rest of the day is a mess.

I just left Ada's room and sent Andy in after I put her back on her bed repeatedly for a good half hour. She's heavy! In addition to trying to run out the door she threw everything off her bed, was jumping on the bed, jumping off the bed, doing downward dog, singing random songs, and screaming like a crazy person.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:00 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

no naps for the last 6 days and counting. Even though she has a yucky cough, she chooses to spend an hour and a half arranging stuffed animals in her room instead of sleeping. And has been behaving like a crazy person every evening aaaaaagh. I so, so wish we had gone for the morning pre-k session instead of afternoon and don't know how to do 8 more months of this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

how the hell do you get a baby to nap?
she will ONLY nap on top of me. the second i get up she's wide awake.
she used to nap ontop of my husband in the evening. nope no more.
when she is tired at night she only wants mommy.
so i am home all day with her, she doent nap, then my husband comes home but eventually she only wants me so i literally never get a break.

i used to be able to get her to fall asleep on top of me, then i could stand up and walk around a bit and maybe transfer her to the pack n play. i cant do that anymore she will wake up the second i stand up and then she wants to look around even though its the same stuff we see all the time.

the only thing i can think of at this point is to let her fall asleep on me then get up and put her in her crib (which she's never ever been in and we've never used) and let her stay there awake.
i wont let her CIO but maybe if she's just there and awake and maybe fussing a littel i can leave her there and maybe one day 10 years from now she'll fall asleep?!?!?!?!?

im seriously like at a loss.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:45 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Babypunk is about 6 months, right? That's the age at which swaddling stopped working for us (but if she can't squirm out of a swaddle yet try that! You might still get a good month or two out of it). I found that really the best thing that worked was just buckling her up in the car seat and driving around for 20 minutes or so (this was a time of my life where we went to Starbucks a lot, or even the library - with the baby bucket I could take her in once she fell asleep and at least do some reading!) The stroller also sometimes worked, and honestly the stroller is still our most reliable way to get long naps, because there is something to be said for being able to restrain them. It's like they just give up and fall asleep.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

tiny wu still only naps in contact with one of us. either she nurses down and sleeps on me (but then usually only for 45 minutes) or we pop her in the wrap. She naps really well in there. Sure, it would be awesome if she could sleep alone but right now she can't. To me it's worth that effort on my part to prevent her being horrid and exhausted.

I know you have a carrier or two--maybe try going for a walk at naptime, or reading while bouncing on an exercise ball. And hopefully Mr. Punk will be able to nap her that way to.

Good news--by now I can nurse tiny wu down at bedtime and put her on her mattress and she will STAY ASLEEP. For an hour, but whatever. So there's hope on that front; you'll get it one day.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

May or may not make a difference for you but it made a HUGE difference for us so I share every chance I get - We went from sleeping terribly to sleeping great in a matter of days when we #1 got a blackout shade for the window, #2 got a white noise machine that stayed on ALL night and for all naps (in fact we leave it on 24/7 so we don't forget it), and #3 started swaddling. Our baby was much younger then BP though, so as mentioned previously BP is probably over the swaddling thing by now. When we got his room all set up this way we would wait till he was drowsy and then lay him down. If he whined I left him alone, if he cried I went in immediately and soothed him without picking him up if possible (patting his tummy, stroking his forehead, singing a song, shushing, etc) if he wouldn't soothe in the bed we kind of started over with waiting till he was calm and drowsy again after holding him awhile. We soon found his natural naptimes and then stuck with that schedule religiously because even 15 minutes off the normal napping times would be a too awake or too tired baby for getting to sleep.

Anybody have thoughts on moving to one nap a day? Giles is 15.5 months old. His schedule for the last many months has been getting up at 9 am, nap at 11:30 - 1, nap at 4:30 - 6, bedtime 9:30pm. He has been really resisting the morning nap now for about a week - if he sleeps at all during that time it is for just a few minutes because I can hear him "talking" and playing the whole time - but yesterday we tried letting him stay up and by 1 he was a MESS. He napped from 1-3 and then around 7pm he got really tired out again and was a bear to deal with. We do not want a 7 pm bedtime because we aren't morning people in this house. Is an early bedtime just the natural consequence of 1 nap a day? Or does it even sound like he is ready for a single nap a day? I am confused.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Honestly, from working with babies and from Freya's own experience, I think the transition time (both from 2 to 1 naps and then later, dropping them altogether) just sorta sucks asparagus for awhile and then they get used to it.

The traditional advice is to move the morning nap later a certain amount for a couple of days at a time, until eventually they *can* stay awake until somewhere after midday. So, first 3 days = nap at 11:45, then 12:00, etc. Would you be able to do an early afternoon nap (like right at noon) and then a short nap in the evening? It gets hard for that late late nap not to turn into bedtime though, I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:52 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

sorry it took me so long to reply. the whole non-napping baby thing cuts into my computer time ;-)

she will nap on top of me but i guess my worry is im creating bad sleep habits for her?????
i mean she has no set nap time, barely naps, and doesnt have a set bed time either.
am i totally fail at this?

usually in the late morning she will fall asleep nursing on me and will nap for awhile if i dont move. the second i move she wakes up and is ready to party.

in the afternoons we take a really long walk and i put her in the ergo. she will typically sleep for half of that which is a good half hour +.

it would be nice if i could put her down to nap and then get some stuff done but she wont let me do that.
im just worried this is a bad habit we should be breaking because it will cause problems later on, but if its not then it's not that big of a deal.

to add insult to injury. sunday she fell asleep on me and i tried to gently put her in the pack n play to sleep and she was like NO WAY LADY and was up from then on. then later i left with one of the dogs for a couple hours and apparently my husband was reading books with her and she was pretty drowsy. he was doing laundry at the same time and when the dryer beeped he put her in the pack n play (awake) and went to get the laundry. within 5 mins she was passed out asleep.

WHAT THE fork!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i mean im glad he was able to do that but why wont she do it for ME?!?!?!?!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Aw, LisaPunk, that really sucks. I don't have kids so am not in a position to really give advice, but you have my sympathy. What does she do if you try to put her down for a nap? Cry? Or just stubbornly stay awake like, "yo, party time!"?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:14 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Wow, I'm impressed with Giles' napping skills!
We have just gone to one nap a day here at just on 10 months because she simply wasn't having her second nap for 3+ weeks and it was no fun for either of us trying to get her down when she didn't want to. She's coped very well this week with two days only having 30 minutes sleep all day, and ~an hour on Monday.

I've also just [finally] dropped the swaddle, she's been well capable of wriggling her way out of it for months, but I've just re-swaddled her and put her back down again and again for every nap/night time, and she's been used to falling asleep that way. Took it away on Monday and she grumbled for about 30 minutes then fell asleep, I was so impressed! And nights have been even better, she's been doing awesomely well at waking, making a tiny bit of noise for a few minutes, and going back to sleep! , I'm amazed.

LisaPunk, so sorry you're having a rough time of it, if it's any kind of consolation, I miss those days of westiebaby passed out asleep on me! Maybe if you know that's her preferred way to sleep, make use of your ergo for the morning nap as well so you've got a bit more hands-free time?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Any thoughts on discouraging early waking? F is happy as a clam most days at 5 a.m. We nurse, lay in her bed and/or recliner until about 6, when she's allowed to get up and "bother" pappa, but she doesn't go back to sleep any more (used to nurse back to sleep). She does pretty well during the day, but is better/happier/more energetic around lunchtime if she actually sleeps until around 6, which happens maybe once/week now.

Still so very much improved from the bad days, going from somewhere around 9 to somewhere around 5. With an hour and half-ish nap most days though, she's still not getting enough sleep overall I think. Plus, 5 a.m. is just way too early to be awake, unless you are a milkman or an air traffic controller or something. :p

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:51 pm 
Semen Strong

How much sleep should they be getting at around 24 months?

L gets a 2 hour afternoon nap but is awake from 7:30 am to about 10 or 11 pm. If she skips her nap, then she goes down at 9pm. So basically she is getting less than 12 hours of sleep.

No idea how to encourage them from waking early, besides putting them down later, but I would love to know how others get their babies to sleep more!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:46 pm 
Nooch of Earl

This seems useful:

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/sleep-children

Vi, of course, is riiight at the 12 hour low end of that. I feel like people who get that 2 extra hours of sleep win the lottery!

We recently had to start cutting V's naps short to 1.5 hours because otherwise she just wakes up too stinking early (like, 4am. She goes to bed at 7:30pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We are also in the too little sleep camp, with an increasingly late bedtime yet same wake up time. Really the only thing that has helped is putting her down like hours earlier than she seems inclined to, but that is pretty hard and doesn't solve the early wake up thing. Last night she went to bed at 11 and spent an hour and a half in bed making fart noises and saying Booba farted!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:44 am 
Semen Strong

L woke up at 8, had a 2 hour nap from 3 to 5 (I started putting her down at 1:30) and then I started trying to put her down at 9 pm with her finally going out at 11:30. A good portion of the last hour was spent with her pretending to be a cat, going peepee in a litterbox, which was absolutely hilarious.

I wish she'd go to bed earlier!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:11 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

refinnej wrote:
Any thoughts on discouraging early waking? F is happy as a clam most days at 5 a.m. We nurse, lay in her bed and/or recliner until about 6, when she's allowed to get up and "bother" pappa, but she doesn't go back to sleep any more (used to nurse back to sleep). She does pretty well during the day, but is better/happier/more energetic around lunchtime if she actually sleeps until around 6, which happens maybe once/week now.

Still so very much improved from the bad days, going from somewhere around 9 to somewhere around 5. With an hour and half-ish nap most days though, she's still not getting enough sleep overall I think. Plus, 5 a.m. is just way too early to be awake, unless you are a milkman or an air traffic controller or something. :p

this is pretty much where we're at with Sierra. I have never gotten up so early in my entire life and I feel like I'll never adjust. And length of nap doesn't seem to matter at all - she only gets about 1.5 hours during the week but on the weekend she'll nap for like 3 hours and either way, she's rarin' to go at 6am. Nooooo. She's averaging right around 12 hours of sleep a day and it's such a shock considering D is one of those 14 hour sleepers, always has been. Also I just want to complain that on the weekend, H gets up with Sierra but most of the time I can't make myself fall back asleep so I end up laying there for an hour and then getting up out of guilt 'cause I can hear the kids.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:24 am 
Semen Strong

Leela slept from 9 to 10 am today. It was wonderful. Now they're making me waffles. I feel like a princess.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:16 am 

Scarlett sleeps from around 9 pm to 7 am and takes a 1-2 hr nap. So only 11-12 hrs total. 14 hours a day would be amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:25 am 
Semen Strong

I wish L had Scarlett's sleep schedule! That sounds so nice!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:49 am 

Oh, well I didn't mention that she still wakes up a couple times. But that's just my estimate of how much sleep she gets in 24 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:26 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

ugh things were going pretty ok with Sierra's sleep for a while and I was dumb to not appreciate it more! Because now we are back to 2 wakings a night and man she is LOUD. The first is right around 1am a/k/a when I have finally reached a decent sound sleep, so I drag myself over to the crib, change her diaper, take her out and nurse her for a couple minutes on the bench in front of her crib. About 50% of the time she will then allow me to place her back in her crib but the rest of the time she cries and shrieks and ashjhsjhsjhsd...Then, we have a 2nd waking any time between 3am and 6am and at that time, there is little to no chance that she'll go back to sleep unless I bring her to our bed and contort my body around hers. Which of course means that my sleep is crepe. Worst part: she goes from shrieking and crying across the room to laughing when I place her in the bed. H thinks that's cute but it does not amuse me.

bonus 4yr old complaint: D refuses to go to the bathroom by herself at night, even though we leave the light on and it's not dark at all in the hall. So in addition to getting up twice with S, I have to get up at least once with her. And sometimes, after I've gone with her and tucked her back in and gone back to my own bed to desperately try and fall asleep, D will come back for no reason at all 10 minutes later. Twice now I've gotten mad and said "I'm not getting up again, GO BACK TO YOUR BED NOW", and she's gone into her room and start loudly crying, so no matter what I have to go in there. Last night (actually this morning at 5am) she did this and then wouldn't tell me why she was crying, so I had to just sit there while she cried semi-fake tears and I honestly I just wanted to say "What the fork is the matter with you, don't you know Mama needs sleep or she'll be very crabby with you?" I mean, I get it, sometimes it's hard to fall back asleep when you wake up in the middle of the night, but holy hell it's not ok to wake up the entire house with your fake crying all because I didn't want to get up twice in 20 minutes with you!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:32 pm 

So I'm trying to figure out if we should phase out Ada's naps. But I'm not sure if it will work. She went three days without a nap a couple of days ago because her dad was home and Alice was up so there was no way she would go to sleep. On days where she doesn't nap she goes to sleep early and easily. It's nice not to fight her for two hours to go to sleep. But, when she doesn't nap she is seriously batshit crazy by the afternoon. And after a few days of no nap she was crazy even in the morning which is weird because she made up the sleep by going to bed early. And Alice's naps are probably going to be shifting to only two soon so she won't need one at the same time as Ada and I can't lay down with Ada if Alice is up.
Anyway, has anyone phased out naps on purpose? And do you think she would adjust after a week or so?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:39 pm 

I guess I meant to say stopped naps, not phased out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:41 pm 
Semen Strong

We have the same experience with L. It is SO nice to have her just go out at 8 after no fuss. But its not consistent - she will miss naps for a few days and then go back to them. Yesterday I was actively avoiding a nap, and then she fell asleep on the floor at 4, which meant that she slept for 30 minutes and was then up until midnight. I fell asleep before she did. I think you can stay out and entertain them to avoid them, but once their bodies are done, they will still just collapse and nap.

She is also really sick again - I think she has a UTI - so maybe that is why her sleep is just a mess. She was up every 2 hours crying and then supercranky and crying all morning and just fell asleep for a nap. I feel like it should be 8pm, but its not even close.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next