| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet dreams (advice/questions about kid sleep)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:44 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

She stirs even now. She's already awakened once in like an hour and forty minutes. Both naps today = 25/30 minutes. Last night = approximately 9 awakenings. Nipple biting, blood, crying/freaking out when pappa came instead of me, then nose all bunged up from crying so couldn't breathe to nurse. Oi. I'm really not sure that there is anything I wouldn't do at this point to get her to sleep. Cut off my little toe? Sure. Vow to never eat chocolate again? Done. I know, I know "this too shall pass".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:52 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I kind of wanted to work on night weaning while my husband was gone (so the crying wouldn't keep him up), but I just don't feel like it. I know that it'll be a few VERY VERY VERY painful nights around here if I try.

I feel like we're not in a good place with sleep right now. Her naps have been all over the board - I've been assuming she's transitioning from two naps to one a day, and that some of it probably has to do with the dreaded canines seeming to be on their way, but the unpredictability and general badness of getting her to sleep during the day has been taking its toll.

Right now she's asleep in her car seat bucket after I finally gave up and strapped her in that. I guess I let her 'cry it out' in there, but she was so in need of sleep that this meant <1 minute of crying, which is what it usually is when it gets to that point (we've done naps this way a couple times already this week, ack). It's not super awesome to do but with everything else I try she'll just pop up and run around when she's clearly in need of sleep. Our schedule has looked like

yesterday 22:00 - fall asleep finally (while nursing)
0:00, 2:00, 4:00 - short wakings to nurse
6:30 - awake to nurse, eventually we got out of bed at 7:30
11:30-13:00 - nap in stroller (fell asleep during walk around neighborhood)
19:30 - finally strapped into car seat for nap (which may transition into night sleep?)

Anyway, I'm not really feeling like mother of the year over here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:15 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oy. We are really lucky that Malka is only waking up once or twice a night to eat, but I feel like it's time at this point for her to eat more during the day and not need to wake up at night for food. Also, I am tired of being tired. We're taking an ounce away from her night bottles each night, so far no complaints, since she always just drinks the bottle, pushes it away, turns over and goes back to sleep. I wonder if there's a similar thing you could do with nursing? Does she delatch before going back to sleep or does she fall asleep still nursing? If the former, it seems like maybe you could delatch her after a shorter nursing session and see if you can cuddle her back to sleep.

Malka also super fights naps, which is very frustrating. She's down to one nap (happens 2-6 hours after getting out of bed - very irregular, I guess it depends on how she slept the night before) and today's nap got cut short so she wound up falling asleep in the car around 6:30 (like 2-3 hours before bedtime) and that turned into night time sleep. It's five hours later and obviously I'm not in bed yet with her. Tomorrow morning's gonna suuuuck.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:24 pm 
And you never will.

I'm thinking about getting a toddler bed and trying to transition Peter to sleeping on his own. Right now he naps alone during the day, and starts the night out alone, and within the last couple of months he's started staying asleep for a period of time (2-4 hours) even after I come to bed, then nurses and goes back to sleep once or twice. The problem is that at some point close to morning, he starts this cluster-feeding thing like he's an infant or something, and once he starts I don't sleep anymore. It's usually from around 4am-7am (when I get tired of it and make him get up), but sometimes it starts earlier. I wonder if I wasn't in the bed with him if he would still want to nurse non-stop for those last few hours, or if he would sleep.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:25 pm 

Ugh! I'll trade you ariann. Mine won't go to sleep tonight. Still partying.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oy. Maybe it means you can sleep in a little tomorrow? I am expecting a 5am wake-up call.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:58 am 
Semen Strong

She went to bed exhausted at 6 and woke up at 4. Its 6 now and i am being chewed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

poopiebitch wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a toddler bed and trying to transition PoopieBaby to sleeping on his own. Right now he naps alone during the day, and starts the night out alone, and within the last couple of months he's started staying asleep for a period of time (2-4 hours) even after I come to bed, then nurses and goes back to sleep once or twice. The problem is that at some point close to morning, he starts this cluster-feeding thing like he's an infant or something, and once he starts I don't sleep anymore. It's usually from around 4am-7am (when I get tired of it and make him get up), but sometimes it starts earlier. I wonder if I wasn't in the bed with him if he would still want to nurse non-stop for those last few hours, or if he would sleep.

Have you thought about dropping the nap and putting him to bed earlier? That totally might not be the answer, though.

Raygold did the sleep-well/clusterfeed early AM for several weeks before suddenly stopping. I boob him to bed at ~7pm. He might wake up once between 9 and 11 -- I put him on the potty and then bring him a sippy with a fingerswidth of water (I used to boob him at this time) and put him back to bed. (He hasn't napped, other than falling asleep on the bus or in the back carrier when we are on day-trips (this screws up his bedtime routine like crazy, too), for months and months.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:21 am 

poopiebitch wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a toddler bed and trying to transition Peter to sleeping on his own. Right now he naps alone during the day, and starts the night out alone, and within the last couple of months he's started staying asleep for a period of time (2-4 hours) even after I come to bed, then nurses and goes back to sleep once or twice. The problem is that at some point close to morning, he starts this cluster-feeding thing like he's an infant or something, and once he starts I don't sleep anymore. It's usually from around 4am-7am (when I get tired of it and make him get up), but sometimes it starts earlier. I wonder if I wasn't in the bed with him if he would still want to nurse non-stop for those last few hours, or if he would sleep.

I think its worth a shot. Babynut is much younger (nine months) but she completely surprised me when we tried her in the crib for the first time. We had been cosleeping exclusively and she wouldn't even go down for the first shift without me. We nursed several times all night, cluster feeding from about two or three on. And then we put her in the crib and she started sleeping through the night. I thought she would wake up at two, but no! I have to wake her up at five to nurse before I leave for work. She goes back to sleep after that with no fuss.

So anyway, might as well try it? It won't hurt and he might surprise you, too.

Ariann wrote:
Oy. Maybe it means you can sleep in a little tomorrow? I am expecting a 5am wake-up call.

Yes, I did get a break this morning. She woke up at six, I brought her to bed and nursed her. We ended up sleeping until nine thirty this morning. Now of course this will come back to bite me tonight when I'm trying to put her down and I have to get up early to go to work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:29 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

It will get better I swear! Hang tight - eventually you will all get to sleep again. Livi's only current issue is that no matter when she goes to bed she's up by 7am. Alas.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:50 pm 

lol...appifanie, I just said to Karl that there needs to be an "it gets better" campaign for parents of babies :)

The cluster feeding describes our nights most times too. We've had some troubles again lately in the evenings, but most nights, there is a really good spell for 2 1/2-3 hours, up until 1030 or 1130, nurse then maybe a good 1-2 hours, then by 130ish we're feeding every 40 minutes, sometimes more. Lately we've been getting an extra teeny nap in the morning for just under an hour after a 6 a.m. feed. She used to wake up about 6-630, but now we're going til 7. I suspect though, she might just be exhausted from sleeping more poorly at night and teething and now a cold. Yikes!

I'm glad to hear about your luck with the bed Butternut. We've got Freya's room all nice and arranged now, just waiting out the cold...don't want to try something this new when she can hardly breathe, poor bear.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I forgot to mention, I tried putting Raygold in his own bed (a Graco travel cot) about a year ago and he would just climb right out of it and get back into bed with me!!! So after a few weeks of that, I gave up and put the playpen away. We all sleep on Japanese futons here and I bought a pair for Beet and Raygold and plan on trying to transition them (Beet used to sleep on his own and then decided to start joining me again!) when I'm pregnant.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:06 pm 

refinnej wrote:
lol...appifanie, I just said to Karl that there needs to be an "it gets better" campaign for parents of babies :)

there should be! and it does! it's tough in the middle of exhaustion to know it will get better though. ugh. of course, she went to bed at 8 and was still up 5 min ago (at 9:05!!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:14 pm 
Semen Strong

What would you do PPKers?

Leela woke up at 4 am, went back to sleep at 6 and slept till 7:30. Then she was up, we went to a playdate and had tons of fun and she was exhausted at 3 and went to sleep for the night. I boobed her when she was unhappy. Basically I know I have set her up to wake at 2 am.

How do I fix this?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:32 pm 

i'd say you're screwed. you have to wake her up, but it's hard to wake them up if they're really wiped out. plus it's already 9 . . .

love you! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:35 pm 
Semen Strong

How do I fix it tomorrow? She's going to wake up at 2 stay up until 4 and then go back down until 6 am. Do I just need to extend the day some how?

UGH! (and thanks! Love You Too!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:41 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, I'd just not let her fall asleep at all in the afternoon until you're ready for her to be asleep for the night. That or when she wakes up for boob, get her up and play with her so the too early nighttime sleep just turns into a long nap.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:34 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So it turns out Vi caught a little cold, so I guess that explains some of our sleep struggles the last few days. Today was much better - after a fairly early start, she fell asleep in the car after morning shopping and stayed napping for another 1.5 hours, then didn't fall asleep for an afternoon nap, but was asleep by 8pm this evening.

I am ok with this schedule if I can keep it in place for the next couple days - planning on having a get together to watch Half the Sky with my book club ladies, so I just need to get her to sleep somewhere farther from the tv!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:35 am 

Tofulish wrote:
How do I fix it tomorrow? She's going to wake up at 2 stay up until 4 and then go back down until 6 am. Do I just need to extend the day some how?

UGH! (and thanks! Love You Too!)

if she's up at 6 maybe u can get her down for a nap around noonish and then she'll be up at 2ish and then bed at 8ish? maybe?

anna, it's always a relief almost when u realize your kid is sick and that's why they were being a pain.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:47 am 
Semen Strong

Ariann's advice worked well! I got her up at 9 and had her Dad play with her for a few hours while i cleaned and watched The Office :). She went back to sleep at midnight and stayed down till 7 am so yay!

We"re doing a lot outside to keep her from falling asleep super early today and also bc it is gorgeous here!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:31 am 

Freya smacking me in the face and saying no no no as I *gasp* try to rock her to sleep. Two college degrees, nearly 20 years working with children and yet now I am here laying my child on the bed so I can take a breather in the hallway. How does my crazy lovely girl turn into the spawn of Satan?

Now she lies asleep...whew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:33 pm 

F asleep in her own bed (unless I just jinxed it) for about an hour now. Nursed and then put in her in, about 95% asleep with some tears but not too much. Then I came downstairs and *I* cried. I don't know what's wrong with me...if she sleeps there, it would be wonderful for all of us I think. Oi.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:57 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Awwww refinnej. Sometimes I still look at E sleeping in his own bed and feel a bit sad about it, but it was really a good improvement for us-- I think the timing's different for everyone but at some point, it's just going to improve everyone's sleep.

The Magician (a mere 9 months old) seems to be making a big push to move to just one nap. It has always been so easy to get him to take 2, but now he fights his first nap sooo hard. It's now regularly taking me over an hour to get him to sleep... For 30-45 minutes. If he skips the nap he's fine and takes a good nap later so I guess I should just give into it?

E never really took 2 naps (he went from 4/day as a very small baby to 1 or less around 4 months or something nuts like that) so I know it's not the end of the world. But we had a routine and I liked it and ugh.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:24 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I have so little tolerance for trying to make babies sleep. An hour trying for a nap seems like a giant waste of time to me.

I think we're going to finally set up our second bedroom this weekend to accommodate Malka sleeping in it. She's now pretty regularly sleeping all the way through the night and she goes to bed on her own (except for tonight, when she was a maniac and tried to climb out of the bed and it didn't end well).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:45 pm 

coldandsleepy wrote:
Awwww refinnej. Sometimes I still look at E sleeping in his own bed and feel a bit sad about it, but it was really a good improvement for us-- I think the timing's different for everyone but at some point, it's just going to improve everyone's sleep.

I still have mixed feelings about babynut sleeping in her crib in another room. I miss her and it doesn't feel right sometimes when I go to bed alone. But I LOVE her sleeping before I'm ready to go to bed and my compromise is bringing her to bed with me if she wakes up in the night. I'm happy to get that snuggle time early in the morning before work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 28  Next