| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet dreams (advice/questions about kid sleep)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:14 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

This week I had the best night of sleep since Scarlett was born... 5 hours in a call room at the hospital, while she was home sleeping with my partner. Oh well, I'll take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:39 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

yay mooo! gotta take it where you can. My mom's coming to stay with us sometime in May and I'm seriously considering shelling out $ for a hotel room one night so I can sleep (if I make it to May that is!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Audrey wrote:
hey Ariann, just a thought - for us with D, she didn't want or need soothing activities before bedtime. In fact, the best way to put her to bed always turned out to be after a lot of play, romping and excitement. I've never been sure how she's able to go from screeching, laughing and being tossed in the air to mellow and sleepy once she hit the crib, but that's just how it worked with her. Maybe have Malka run laps around the house haha.

Before I started standardising bedtimes with my kids, that's how I knew it was time to put Beetroot to bed. He would start running laps around the living room like crazy!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:33 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Uh after never really co-sleeping with us as an infant and over a year in her own room now, D has been coming into our room at 5am saying "Mama I want to share your bed with you". There is really no room and I think it really just means she woke up and is having trouble getting back to sleep so she'd like to come chat with me and I just can't. I feel terrible, and she is very sweet, but after she's already woken me up TWICE to go pee - because she is not into going by herself at night - I just can't deal. The last 2 days I let her come up and snuggle but it is ridiculously crowded, she's almost elbowing Sierra in the head and I sure as shiitake can't sleep like this. Aaaagh. I've tried to gently explain that when she was baby she slept near us but now it is Baby Sierra's turn, so she says we need a bigger bed. I tried telling her we don't have $ for a bigger bed but she doesn't really get $ and told me SHE has $ for it haha. I'm sure this is just a phase but it's not really a phase I can deal with right now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oyoyoy, Audrey.

On my end, it was nice to only spend 40 minutes (of tears and anguish) getting the kid to sleep last night. I put her in my bed which she much prefers and which she can't reasonably escape from, making the whole thing much easier. Also, it was nice to cuddle with her since we had the whole bed to ourselves and when she had pushed me too far to one side I could just switch sides on her.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:34 pm 
Semen Strong

I'm sorry Audrey, that sounds so tough.

We don't do a wind down either. We've been playing peekaboo/make the bed and fluffing the sheets over her head as she shrieks in joy and falls over.

I don't think I ever appreciated sleep as much as I do now.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Audrey wrote:
I tried telling her we don't have $ for a bigger bed but she doesn't really get $ and told me SHE has $ for it haha.

Heh, Raygold and Beetroot do that, too. Beetroot was going to take us on vacation and the other day, Raygold was going to buy me...something, but I don't remember what. Groceries, probably. He is always telling us we have to go buy oranges.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My mom was putting grey to bed tonight, he started coughing (he had a cold last week and has a lingering cough) and then he threw up. All over the bed, my mom, and both his bunnies. He loves those damn bunnies and I am pretty surprised he went to bed without them, I thought for sure he was going to be up for two more hours while they washed and dried. My mo said when she went to out him back to bed he kept chatting, so she pretended to sleep and he kept poking her eye and saying, "eye, eye". Man, I love that kid.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela was so tired she refused to go to sleep. It was not fun.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:53 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Lb, I love those moments! F always seems to think of something to say during that twilight time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

refinnej wrote:
Lb, I love those moments! F always seems to think of something to say during that twilight time.

Raygold's new thing when he is going to bed or wakes up in the middle of the night full of woe (Raygold is good at being full of woe) is to say that Beet stole all his ideas. He's said it 2 or 3 nights in a row. Mr Crabby is all, "Raygold, you have such existential problems for a 2 year old." He's right. All Raygold's problems are weird like that. ;D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:59 am 

830-600. Oh my god! Please, let this become a trend.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:39 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Whoa!! That's incredible, refinnej!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:09 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So the whole weaning from the swaddle was totally not working - then we had two most miserable days of basically no naps and no sleeping while he was partially swaddled - and finally last night we put him down without a swaddle and he slept from 9:30 to 6:30!!! I fed him and just laid him back in his crib and haven't heard a peep in an hour. Are we weaned!?!!?!!!?! (Of course I have $50 of a swaddle "transitioner" called the zipadeezip winging its way to me as I type this).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:40 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

refinnej wrote:
830-600. Oh my god! Please, let this become a trend.

Congratulations! I hope for both of you this becomes the new normal.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

awesome, refinnej!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:15 pm 

Yay! I hope that becomes more of the norm.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:51 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We're having a fellow toddler houseguest for a few days and traveling after that, so I think the sleep shifting is going to have to wait. Feh. So far this month V has had a little cold and been adjusting to deployment, so I don't want to introduce any changes right now.

But after some crummy nights of sleep possibly due to deployment or the cold, she has slept through the night very well two nights in a row (from 7-8pm until after 5am two nights ago, and 4:30am last night)...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:38 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So we were sleeping poorly and I ordered a zipadeezip. Immediately sleep improved to the point of miracle sleep through the night and napping without a problem...I was able to cancel the zipadeezip. I was bit premature in that it seems. EVERY HOUR he was up last night. I reordered that darn zippie this morning but now It will be another 7-10 business days before I get it and by that time I am sure we really will have transitioned from the swaddle. And my coffeepot doesn't work. This should probably have gone in the ventilation thread.

I hope F and Vi slept well last night!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:41 pm 

Back to reality here, but filled with hope I suppose. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:17 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

oh man, refinnej that sounded like one awesome night, and I so hope you get some more!!

annasrobbie, we had a helluva time weaning off the swaddle too. What we do nowadays is still put Sierra in the swaddle blanket when it's time to sleep but we don't velcro it.. it sounds silly but the blanket became this symbol of sleepytime for her, so we were at a loss. What happens now is she is wrapped a little bit in the blanket but not velcro-ed shut, drinks her bottle (for naptime while I'm at work) or nurses (at night with me) and then when she falls asleep, Papa carries her to the crib and makes sure her arms are out completely and covers her with another blanket. This way, she still has use of her arms for rolling over (and hopefully for self-soothing someday!) but she isn't flailing all around and raking my face while I'm nursing her. Her feet remain in the sack, but I figure that's just the same as if she was in one of those sleepsack things anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 pm 
And you never will.

YOU GUYS. I got Peter to nap today! In his own bed and not the car! At a normal nap time! For THREE HOURS! For the first time in over two months! I really hope this wasn't a one-off, because it was AWESOME.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OMG, hooray!!! I hope this isn't a sign the apocalypse is approaching. Increased solar flares, tsunamis, Poopiebaby sleeping in his bed for 3 hours... ;D

P.S. What did you do by yourself for 3 whole hours?!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:14 am 

Woot! Go Peter!

Getting better here most nights. Lots of noise making/fussing but one good chunk of 3 hours or so most nights so hoping I can stay sane and just be normal parent-tired. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:49 am 
And you never will.

Thank y'all! I was pretty excited.

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
P.S. What did you do by yourself for 3 whole hours?!!

Unfortunately, I had a big order for yesterday, so I spent the whole time on my feet in the kitchen working. But I was able to work uninterrupted, which was amazing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next