| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet dreams (advice/questions about kid sleep)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:07 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

This morning my husband and I were relaxing in our bed. Reno was in the bathroom. We here other feet walking around somewhere in the house. I at first thought it was the cat because he is huge and sounds like a human when he walks. All of a sudden Miles walks into our bedroom with a stinker grin on his face. He climbed out of his crib! Quietly! All by himself!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:10 am 
Semen Strong

Oh no! Well, at least he didn't get hurt, right? Toddler bed for Miles!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

No he didn't get hurt at all. He's very good with climbing and moving around so he is usually quite careful when he's doing something dangerous. :)

Today was Day 2 of Miles climbing out of his crib. Day 1 of my husband away all week. I know I'm going to have to take the side off of his crib this week. Good thing is though that both days when he wakes up in his morning he is happy to be in his crib for the usual 30 minutes and then he climbs out.

He's such a great sleeper and I'm worried this new freedom is going to ruin it.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:03 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Would it be completely ridiculous to have my two kids share a full size bed? They are 2 and 4. We have a spare full, and they both like sleeping with other people but need a lot of space to flail their limbs.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:34 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

My sister has her 4 and 3 year old sleep together on a queen - she says it does take longer for them to settle at night, but that she has much fewer instances of them coming to her room because they are "scared" which had been a big problem for her before.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:50 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I slept with one of my sisters in a queen bed for years. She was four years younger.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:54 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I think it sounds great honestly, but are you worried about bickering etc? It's a really sweet idea, I kinda love it.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:30 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

They do fight if they are right next to each other, but I think there would be enough room in a full for them to be close but have space. They already share a room and when one wakes up in the morning the seek out the other and wake him immediately (I've tried to stop it, but it's pointless). My hope would be that they find comfort in having someone so close and come to us less, and that it would simplify bed time because we could all lay down in the same place to read stories and get cozy in one bed instead of trying to go back and forth between them.

We're probably moving to a house with fewer bedrooms soon. So, this would also allow us to keep our guest bed (the full) which wouldn't fit well in storage, unlike their twin and crib beds.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:36 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I know exactly what you mean...my kids look for each other immediately upon waking too. And yeah since they already share a room that would streamline things even further, sounds like. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:16 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I think it depends on the siblings. I would've hated this. (My sister is 4.5 years older though, which makes for a different dynamic.)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
Would it be completely ridiculous to have my two kids share a full size bed? They are 2 and 4. We have a spare full, and they both like sleeping with other people but need a lot of space to flail their limbs.

My kids share a bed (1.6m wide -- 2 Japanese futons side by side) and it's cute to see Raygold hugging Beetroot in the middle of the night. We haven't had a problem with it at all, except getting them to bed can be a hassle because one of them is always goofing around (lately it's been Raygold). My husband sleeps with them at the moment because I am sleeping on two Japanese futons stacked on top of each other because of my damn preggo hips, but even with both the kids and my husband being roly-poly flailers, they seem to sleep just fine.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:36 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Once babies start rolling, is a crib unavoidable? If they nap without you on a bed, can't they roll off onto the floor?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yesyes wrote:
If they nap without you on a bed, can't they roll off onto the floor?

Yes, although for toddlers and older kids, you can get rails/bed guards to block them from doing that (and put your bed against the wall to block them on one side). My kids sleep on Japanese futons, so it's not an issue. I've also seen other people just have their kids sleep on a mattress on the floor until the kids weren't bad night-rollers.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:56 pm 
Semen Strong

It is so funny - whenever B works late our bedtimes are SO easy. We had a great playdate (thanks Ariann and JENNA!) and by 1:30 L was out and she napped until 4:30. Then we woke up, made dinner and by 8 she was begging to go upstairs to go to bed. She was out by 8:30.

The night before I took L out for a playdate until 8 and she was falling asleep in the car at about 8:15. And then she saw B and got a second wind and stayed up with him (he did give her a bowl of granola, so that wasn't a big help!) until 10:15. Which is fine, but she was definitely fighting sleep in a way she doesn't when its just the two of us.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I got to spend almost all day with Malka today and she was just stupid adorable all day long. Never stopped smiling, never got frustrated, just super happy and engaging and wonderful. We went swimming and on the drive home I looked back at her when she said "mommy!" and she was just beaming with joy. I wish I could bottle her and take shots while I'm at work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Naptime today:

Me: "oh my god, go to sleep"
Freya: "zzzzz"

Why didn't I try that earlier? :p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Hahahah!

Malka went to sleep last night and today for her nap (nanny's car broke down, husband working, and I am home with her and cutting work - which is okay I guess, because my work email and calendar have been non-accessible since Tuesday - I have been going out of my mind all week) in less than 10 minutes and I was actually able to leave the room pretty quickly after.

The bad thing that is happening now is that since we finagled with her bedtime she is still waking up 3-4 times overnight (used to be 1) and waking up really early, even when we put her to bed closer to her original bedtime. She is definitely not getting enough sleep, is obviously more tired throughout the day than she used to be, but I can't figure out how to get her to either go back to mostly sleeping through the night or get her to sleep in a little. We were at the pediatricians this morning to make up some missed vaccines and I asked her advice (it was a pediatrician we kind of hate and never have actual check-ups with) and she was like, well, you could try some more aggressive sleep training. I looked at her like she had two heads, then said, what does that mean - how would that get her to sleep in? And she couldn't really tell me how letting my daughter cry in the middle of the night would help her sleep later in the morning. She just kinda stammered and then seemed kind of embarrassed for even suggesting it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:04 pm 

I don't think most pediatricians I'vemet know diddlysquat about kids' behavior, except perhaps if they are parents themselves.

We are struggling hard here with the two naps vs. one thing. Today = fuss/rub eyes/yawn for I don't like an hour, then sleep from 9:45 til 11:30. (After her I'd promised we'd go swimming if it didn't rain). Thought about trying for no second nap, but she's not going to make it, so we had a mini-nap about 5:00 (after 1/2 hour of boobs/cuddles).

Trying to decide about night weaning before or after holiday. Had planned to wait until after (about 2 1/2 weeks), but now wondering if we can try for better night sleep and then we'd be able to tackle the one-nap issue too, since she wouldn't be sleepy each day at like 9:30.

Silly babies.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:18 pm 

I gotta say I love one nap so much harder than two. I can actually do a lot more without planning around two naps. Don't ask me how to start it, though! She just quit one day cold turkey.
refinnej wrote:
I don't think most pediatricians I'vemet know diddlysquat about kids' behavior, except perhaps if they are parents themselves.

Yes! My pediatrician is not a parent. I appreciate that she is upfront about that and she doesn't pretend to know everything. I think the sleep stuff is so specific to each kid (temperment, energy level, need for sleep, etc)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:25 pm 

I am looking forward to the one nap too. Planning to do things between 11 and 2:30 or 3 each day = tough sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:51 pm 
***LIES!!!***

One nap is great. Our regular pediatrician is a parent and she had one kid she coslept with and one kid she sleep trained (her second) and she basically says it makes no difference in the end. But y'know, even if they aren't parents, one would hope they would gain some wisdom from literally watching thousands of kids grow up! Or some little tricks at least that we might not have thought of. Referring us to pop pediatrics books seems like such a cop out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

urgh. two words: night terrors :/ e used to get them and it seems z is starting on them now. noooooooooooooooooooo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:26 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

There probably is no answer for this but if anybody does have an idea please share!
In the middle of the night - every night for the last several weeks - I am awakened by a loud "thumping" from the babies room. I cannot sleep through it because it is loud and starts and stops. It is the baby laying on his tum and bring his foot up in the air and whomping it back down on the mattress. I am pretty sure he is asleep while doing this because if I flip him over (brave aren't I!!!) his eyes make blink open for a second but then he is right back to sleep again. As I type this I had a thought about maybe trying a sleep sack - would that allow him to lift just one leg in the air and smack it down?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ariann wrote:
We were at the pediatricians this morning to make up some missed vaccines and I asked her advice (it was a pediatrician we kind of hate and never have actual check-ups with) and she was like, well, you could try some more aggressive sleep training. I looked at her like she had two heads, then said, what does that mean - how would that get her to sleep in? And she couldn't really tell me how letting my daughter cry in the middle of the night would help her sleep later in the morning. She just kinda stammered and then seemed kind of embarrassed for even suggesting it.

I don't know whether this is what your ped meant, but one thing that helped me around 18 months or so was just waiting longer before responding when V woke up in the middle of the night. I wouldn't call it rigid, traditional sleep training - if 5 minutes later she was still upset, I'd take her into our bed and nurse her back to sleep, but more often than not, she settled back down and went back to sleep. Eventually she stopped waking a lot at night at all (except when sick or teething or something - there was a night last week when she woke up at 2 and every hour or so after that until I gave up on sleep, and it felt so brutal.. I took her into bed with me at that 2am waking and it really hit home how neither of us sleeps well with cosleeping any more.

Last week I noticed that her bedtime was getting later and later and waking getting earlier and earlier in the morning, and I felt like something needed a reboot. We'd had a decent night routine but she started realizing she could keep pushing it by asking to nurse or whatever, coming out to the living room.. So I decided to just turn off the lights, shut the door, and letter her cry for a few minutes. Did it a few minutes earlier each night until we were back to what I considered a reasonable bedtime (8:15ish the other night, last night she fell asleep a few minutes after the babysitter got there at 6 because the world is against me ;) ).

I feel like, at this age, she can handle it. We didn't do anything of the sort until she was a year old or so, but sometimes she's her own worst enemy with sleep. I see such a difference when she has or hasn't had enough sleep, and later bed times/more waking do not correspond at ALL with more sleeping in for us. I still don't think sleep training infants is appropriate, but once they're walking around it seems like they want to be up and about doing fun stuff, not going to bed..and it's a tough cycle to break.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The difficulty is that when she wakes in the night, she gets up, comes into our room, and very calmly says "mommy up!" No crying or noise making before that, so we don't even notice her awake until she's on top of us. If we keep her door shut, she stands there and bangs on it screaming. I don't know that letting her wait a little would help, because she is not going to get back I bed and lay down again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next